Author Topic: jjrocks rocking roulette rocks!! jjrocks rocking winner rocks!!  (Read 64468 times)

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
I feel like going all "Anonymous", and posting the very likely bonus songs.  With the local knowledge of what was on the Canadian airwaves and MuchMusic, I'm damned certain I know a few, and can provide a highly relevant guess on a few others.  Methinks that's how splent is nailing it too ... being in relatively close proximity to Winter-peg, the Chicago market probably had some of the same radio-friendly hits.

*ponders*
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
I feel like going all "Anonymous", and posting the very likely bonus songs.  With the local knowledge of what was on the Canadian airwaves and MuchMusic, I'm damned certain I know a few, and can provide a highly relevant guess on a few others.  Methinks that's how splent is nailing it too ... being in relatively close proximity to Winter-peg, the Chicago market probably had some of the same radio-friendly hits.

*ponders*

No that's not it... Although it helps when you grow up when your dad is in an 80s Rock cover band ;)
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Seems as most of the 80's bonus songs sucked the first time around.

*ponders*

Sent a TAC Roulette staple band, but not the staple track. Wolfking got that one.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Tim with your love for Rainbow, I'd like to see what you think of that Zool band. Check out the song a Brent sent me, I'm not sure if everything is Rainbow sounding

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Wild Card updates

Wolf for round 1

Roxu- Rock n Roll Nights-  This is a very obscure band from Australia and I believe Wolf said they only released one album.  Kade mentioned this would be right up my alley and it is for sure.  I would like to see what Brent rates this one because I think this is just fantastic melodic rock.  Do you guys have the full album from these guys and is it all top notch like this song.  9.5

Wolf goes from a 8 to a 9.5 in round 1

Splent for round 3

Hammerfall- Hearts on Fire-  I've heard a large amount from Hammerfall and for whatever reason, could never fully get into them.  Everything is solid European metal, but I can't say I ever go out of my way to listen to them.  I'm not a huge fan of Joacim's voice.  But from what I've heard, I did always like this song and "Stone Cold".  7.5

Splent goes from a 7-7.5

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Nice.  I thought they would work well. 

Jason, the album is mostly solid but that is one of the more rocking tracks and probably the highlight for me along with a couple of others.  It's worth a listen online if you can find it.  I'm sure most the songs are on youtube.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
Half point is a half point.

Saving my last one for now. I have an idea of what to send you, but idk if it will be higher than a 7.5.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I would like to see what Brent rates this one because I think this is just fantastic melodic rock.

it got an honourable mention in my Top 50 JJ , so I suppose that covers that.  Wolf has sent you one of the 2 or 3 heaviest tracks but it's all pretty good. I think I have some rare/hard to find extra tracks somewhere or other.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I would like to see what Brent rates this one because I think this is just fantastic melodic rock.

it got an honourable mention in my Top 50 JJ , so I suppose that covers that.  Wolf has sent you one of the 2 or 3 heaviest tracks but it's all pretty good. I think I have some rare/hard to find extra tracks somewhere or other.

I'd be interested in these mate.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

I'd be interested in these mate.

OK .............shoot me an email if you don't have some stuff by the end of your roulette.  I'm in chaos at the moment here but will have a hunt around.  From memory I have like a dozen tracks , some of which are turds , but a few are good stuff.  So I'll filter out the turds and send you a few mp3s.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Cool mate, no rush though.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
It's like a drug deal just happened lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
 :metal

New rules just added to the roulette. Who ever posts the most Ric Flair pictures in the next week gets 20 bonus points (excluding Splent) :)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

New rules just added to the roulette. Who ever posts the most Ric Flair pictures in the next week gets 20 bonus points (excluding Splent) :)

:rollin

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Just when splent thought it was all over............

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
 :rollin

1 for Brent

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
there's still a chance!

Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
All in for R9

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Round 9!!

TAC:

Hibria- Screaming Ghost:  Hellz yeah with this one!  This is another one of those modern metal songs that is done right.  This is an old fashioned screaming metal song in the vein of Judas Priest or Primal Fear.  Awesome guitar solo and just enjoyed everything about this one.  Great choice Tim!  9.5

Evermind:

David Gilmour- Dancing Right in Front of Me:  The last round wasn't actually David Gilmour, it was The Answer.  This round from EM was Dave and EM predicted a 5/10.  Pink Floyd has always been hit or miss from me.  Animals, WYWH, and Dark Side are enjoyable all the way through.  But other material, that's not always the case for me.  This song definitely isn't a fiver, as I found it pretty good.  Might be a tad boring, but overall was a good, but mellow tune.  7

Hath:

Joel Hoekstra- The Only Way to Go:  I've heard mixed reviews about this album last year, but everything I've heard sounded really good.  Still hadn't picked it up, but liked all the samples.  And how could I not, Russell Allen and JSS on vocals.  This is just fantastic melodic metal and another great selection by Hath!  9

Chad:

Vanden Plas- Rainmaker:  This is another band name I've seen countless times, but never checked out.  Chad has his niche in melodic progressive metal and this is another song that works on all levels.  Just a cool metal song and I should look into VP more; great great song! 9

Wolf:

Evergrey- Mark of the Triangle:  Same as VP, I've seen this name bounced around many times.  Another great metal song from Kade, who knows his modern metal probably better then anyone on DTF.  Vibe on this song reminds me maybe of a combination of Magnitude 9 and Jag Panzer.  How can you go wrong with that?  8.5

Paul:

Edguy- Tears of a Mandrake:  Like Hammerfall, I should probably like Edguy a bit more then I do.  I've given both bands a fair shake, and neither connect overly that much with me.  The vocals from Tobias might have something to do with it.  I will say the song "Superheroes" is great and probably my favorite from what I've heard from the band.  I don't recall if I've heard this song before, but I definitely like it.  I liked it, but still not enough to get into Edguy completely.  8

Fluff:

Jerry Garcia- Expressway:  Rowan, I truly appreciate the effort, but I find this song the same as the other songs you've sent.  Joplin, Stogges and Garcia are all artists that I can respect, but will never get into, no matter what.  Not bad at all, this song has a nice easy going vibe, but overall not my thing.  6.5

Brent:

Overlorde- Snow Giant:  Yet another mid 80's ass kicking classic metal song that I've never heard of.  Brent is the roulette master, and this song is another one that is totally my thing.  Fantastic tune and there is a reason the lead singer has the nickname "Leather Lungs".  What a cool nickname and totally suits this guy.  Very obscure band, but very cool!  10

Splent:

Damn Yankees- High Enough:  Sigh...I will be the first to admit that I made a big mistake in the way I set up the Japanese bonus songs for this roulette.  The other option of 10 open rounds with all participants having 3 wild cards would have been much more fair and would have worked much much better.  I don't think I ever want to buy another Japanese import ever again lol.  11

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Well FFS  :facepalm:  :lol

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah, figured it wouldn't score too well.

Glad I'm not in the lead because I would've been pissed off by all these Japanese bonus points. :lol
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah, figured it wouldn't score too well.

Glad I'm not in the lead because I would've been pissed off by all these Japanese bonus points. :lol

Brent could hire you to take out Splent like Nancy Kerrigan.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Rather than the Russian mafia I think a Japanese ninja may be more appropriate. Or maybe both would be fine :metal

If by some miracle one of us manages to make it a tie in Rd 10 ..............new rules for the tiebreaker please  :lol

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Rather than the Russian mafia I think a Japanese ninja may be more appropriate. Or maybe both would be fine :metal

If by some miracle one of us manages to make it a tie in Rd 10 ..............new rules for the tiebreaker please  :lol

I already have the new rules set up for a possible overtime. 

Offline Lowdz

Splent's "Hair Metal Hits of the 80s" compilation strikes again! Damn K Tel  :biggrin:

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I think the only way to force overtime or beat Splent is to jump in the vat of grease with him.  You will have to slip and slide in the grease with Splent and pick a correct Japanese song for round 10 and then pick another Japanese song for the wild card.  Its definitely possible, but you gotta get greasy (Chad)
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 04:36:19 AM by jjrock88 »

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I will have to leave that to Chad as once again Damn Yankees had zero radio presence out here and I never would've guessed.

Would rather send new material anyway , even if it costs me.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Damn Yankees- High Enough

Called it!  I'd sent Jay an email with my predictions of which songs would be bonus material.  This was #1 on the "for sure" list.  Splent winning JJ's Rocking Roulette.  Whoulda thunk!  It'll be a greasy win for sure.

Lot of great submissions there.  Now my planned Round 10 submission is gone ... it was gonna be Rock City by Damn Yankees, given a prior comment of Jay's how he and I were both from Rock City, just the other side of the tracks.

Oh well... time to look for something else.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
My song has been sented and I have been splented.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
There must be a webpage somewhere with a list of these songs or something surely.

Offline Lowdz

There must be a webpage somewhere with a list of these songs or something surely.

I googled hair metal hits of the 80s but most of the bands are banned, or at least on his list. Like Brent, I've been trying to send things Jason will like rather than go for the bonus, Night Ranger aside.
And yes Jason, you should like Edguy more  :biggrin: