Author Topic: jjrocks rocking roulette rocks!! jjrocks rocking winner rocks!!  (Read 64472 times)

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I would still say all of the material from MSG is very underrated in rock history.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Michael Schenker literally is the reason I like the music I do. His second album, MSG, might literally be the most influential album of my life.
But if I'm being fair, a lot of his stuff is inconsistent. The thing about Schenker, is that he's really all about the song.  I wish he wasn't because he could on on full on rip mode. His work with UFO is as good as any guitarist I've ever heard.

:metal :metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Just need the Wolfster for R8

Sorry, slipped my mind yesterday, something came up at work which pissed me off haha.

Sending something now.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Just sent.  Went with a different option to what I was thinking yesterday.  Jason, I'll use my wildcard in the next few days I reckon.

Offline Lowdz

Huge fan of Schenker here. Never thought of sending them as MSG is on jjs list, though not banned.

Would have preferred a better vocalist than Barden on the earlier stuff.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah Barden is a bit of an aquired taste

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Ok everyone is in for R8

And Wolf, you can send your bonus anytime!

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Results this weekend.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Round 8!!

Brent:

Zool- Snake Eyes:  Brent sends another fantastic choice and plays up my Dio love, just like Evermind did earliier.  Imagine if Dio was still with us and reunited with Ritchie in Rainbow.  This would be the end result and this song is killer!  Another great choice!  10

Chad:

Pathosray- Scent of Snow:  This song may have been slightly out of my comfort zone, but Chad really wanted me on a Taste of Italy.  It worked, I really liked this one.  It has a very cool atmospheric sound to it and the last third had a Dream Theater/Redemption vibe to it.  Cool song!  9

Fluff:

Kyuss- Supa Scoopa and the Mighty Scoop:  I was tempted to give you one Japanese bonus point just for the song title.  If I'm not mistaken, Queens of the Stoned Age and Kyuss are the same band.  They both play a solid slab of stoner rock.  Like all your submissions Fluff, this is solid stuff, but nothing that would overly be my thing.  6.5

Paul:

Night Ranger- You Can Still Rock in America:   Yikes, this was close, but sorry Paul.  "Sister Christian" is actually a bonus song.  But if it makes you feel any better, "You Can Still Rock in America" is my favorite tune from Night Ranger.  8.5

Evermind:

David Gilmour- The Answer:  EM didn't think I would like this song that much, and I was quite surprised that I did enjoy it as much as I did.  A bit heavier than I expected as well.  This was a cool selection dude. 8

Splent:

Great White- Once Bitten, Twice Shy:  Yup.  11

TAC:

Jack Starr- Concrete Warrior:   Tim plays to my old school interest on this one with Rhett Forrester on vocals.  Imagine combining Virgin Steele and Riot; thats a winning combination and right up my alley.  Is this a TAC classic?  9

Wolf:

Dream Evil- Book of Heavy Metal:  I know Chasing the Dragon from Dream Evil and always thought that was a cool tune.  Well, this one is right up there with CtD and is Hammerfallish metal 101.  Awesome old school sounding metal and another great selection by Wolf- he knows his newer metal!  8.5

Hath:

Jaded Heart- Ain't a Perfect World:  This song sounded like a combination of Hardline, House of Lords and Axel Rudi Pell.  In the melodic rock world, that's as good as it gets and I really liked this song.  The vocals sounded very familar to me so I had to look into it.  Michael Bormann from Silent Force!  That made the song even cooler!  9.5

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Splent:

Great White- Once Bitten, Twice Shy:  Yup.  11
:rollin

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
OP updated with scores and bands

Through 8 rounds

Splent- 74.5
Brent- 73.5
Chad- 73
Hath- 71.5
Paul- 70.5
Wolf- 70
TAC- 70
EM- 66.5
Fluff- 54

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
 :metal :metal :metal

I'll send round 9 and a bonus song soon. I think I'm doing pretty well with Japanese bonus point songs but sister Christian was going to be my next one so I'm cockblocked... Oh well. I have one or two others lined up.

Bonus I have to see.
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni

I'll send round 9 and a bonus song soon. I think I'm doing pretty well with Japanese bonus point songs but sister Christian was going to be my next one so I'm cockblocked... Oh well. I have one or two others lined up.

Bonus I have to see.

Of course Sister Christian was going to be your next song lol

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
Sent both round 9 and a wildcard. I think you'll like this wildcard better than my last.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Gawddamn - a 10 and I still can't shake these Japanese bonusmeisters/wildcarders  :angry:

Will send something later today
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
It wasn't David Gilmour. The song is The Answer - Whiplash.

You're getting David Gilmour this round.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

Kyuss- Supa Scoopa and the Mighty Scoop:  I was tempted to give you one Japanese bonus point just for the song title.  If I'm not mistaken, Queens of the Stoned Age and Kyuss are the same band. 
Yeah, I have no idea what's going on with that title.

Josh Homme was in Kyuss before QOTSA, so yeah, similar sound, but Kyuss is heavier and has John Garcia, who has a more 70s/80s than 90s rock vocalist style to me.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
Gawddamn - a 10 and I still can't shake these Japanese bonusmeisters/wildcarders  :angry:

I know right? We've both averaged 9.5 over the last three rounds and have lost ground.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
The scoring on this roulette is funny as hell to follow from the sideline :lol
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Lowdz

Bugger. I kind of knew it would be Sister Christian. I was backwards and forwards between the two before sending. Went with YCSRIA because if NR weren't on your list this had a better chance of a decent score. Gamble didn't pay off.

Another Brent selection I've never heard of. Sounds worth checking out.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Splent has thrown me for a loop on this whole thing, big time. Is it too late to ban Splent? :)
« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 02:29:31 AM by jjrock88 »

Offline Lowdz

And the Great White? Bloody hell.  >:(

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Holy shit this thing is motoring along!  I obvioulsy listen to my submissions way too many times.  :lol

Will come up with something and probably a wildcard over the next couple of hours.

Offline Lowdz

Offline Lowdz

Bonus I have to see.

Of course Sister Christian was going to be your next song lol

It would be interesting (and maybe depressing) to see what the bonus songs would have scored without being straight 11s.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Man, you really are motoring along!  Can't even blink during this roulette.

Splent has taken my 'always cheat' motto to a whole new level.  Methinks that this is the law of unintended consequences rearing it's ugly head.  I'm pretty sure I know at least 2 potential bonus songs, maybe 3 or 4.  But, it ain't always about winning.  I played that card when I needed to (because of that turd 7 score).  Now it's just about kick-ass tunes.

Will be sending shortly. 

Splent has thrown me for a loop on this whole thing, big time. Is it too late to ban Splent? :)

Hindsight is 20/20, eh?  Probably should've limited the number of bonus submissions players could submit, or at least, cash in on.

Speaking of which, are you allowing bonus song attempts for Round 10?  And thus there may be another 'wild card' submission that might be required after round 10?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
The other option I was thinking of was no bonus songs, but everyone had 2 or 3 wild cards to use at any time. That probably would have worked out better.

I never figured someone would try for the bonus songs every round, let alone get them right. But oh well, good for Splent. The bonus songs were there more for people who were out of it and this would be a chance to make a comeback

And you can still go for bonus songs all the way through til the end, if it means a wild card after the fact, that works. But I also should have put restrictions of bonus song attempts too
« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 05:26:22 AM by jjrock88 »

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Is splent going to be upset if (like Ruslan and Dave) you produce a "Top 20 Songs of Jay's Roulette" album at the end and the champ doesn't appear on it ?  :neverusethis:

Just having a giggle - it's all in good spirit.  :P :lol

"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Just sent my wildcard song for round 1.  Sent something I think only Brent and I would know.  Should be right up Jason's alley, I hope.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
It's a potential greasy victory for Splent. But then again, how many greasy victories did Ric Flair get!

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
It's a potential greasy victory for Splent. But then again, how many greasy victories did Ric Flair get!

That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
It's all learning l experience. I probably would have limited the bonus songs myself :lol

It works though because if there wasn't that twist I'd probably be in last place :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Just sent round 9.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
Is splent going to be upset if (like Ruslan and Dave) you produce a "Top 20 Songs of Jay's Roulette" album at the end and the champ doesn't appear on it ?  :neverusethis:

Just having a giggle - it's all in good spirit.  :P :lol

He could make a Japanese bonus song playlist and every song I sent would be on it :neverusethis:

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Brent:

Zool- Snake Eyes:  Brent sends another fantastic choice and plays up my Dio love, just like Evermind did earliier.  Imagine if Dio was still with us and reunited with Ritchie in Rainbow.  This would be the end result and this song is killer!  Another great choice!  10

Must check out.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol