Author Topic: The "I (fill in blank) for (uber famous person)" Thread!!!  (Read 10327 times)

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
Re: The "I (fill in blank) for (uber famous person)" Thread!!!
« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2016, 12:07:26 AM »

I missed Joe Pesci by like an hour at the liquor store I worked at in NJ. The cashier who served him was like 6'4 and standing on a platform, and apparently this was their entire exchange (imagine this convo in two very heavy NY accents, obviously):
"You Joe Pesci?"
"Yeah. You really that tall?"
"Yeah."

:rollin

I'm so mad I missed that.

Did your friend get stabbed in the neck and then beaten down with a baseball bat? Exactly. So it wasn't Joe Pesci.

Actually he went missing and was found in the meadowlands a few weeks later.......
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2016, 03:58:23 AM »
If we are going into just people we've met personally or by separation..

I've hung out with Kalen Chase, the albino who toured backing vox for Korn for a while.

I've met Davey Johnstone, Elton John's guitarist. Fun Fact: His daughter is cute. Too bad she was slightly underage the few times I met her.

Bjorn Englen... I've chatted with him a few times. (played bass with Yngwie, Uli Jon Roth, Dio Disciples, etc)

I've met and chit chatted briefly with Ryo from Spocks Beard.

I've chilled with Beardo (the C list rapper) a few times.

I've met Adam Levine's siblings once or twice.

I've personally know the drummer from KSM (Former Disney band).

And I think I've met Nikki Sixx. I honestly don't remember...  But I do know I've met his kids. His son is an ass if I recall correctly.

Source: My best friend went to, and then taught at a rock orientated music school in Agoura Hills, CA. Most of these people taught at or have enrolled in the school.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2016, 03:59:20 AM »
I saw the Emperor of Japan (his procession of cars and such) three days ago. I didn't even know it was him until I asked that evening.

I once ran into Cliff Curtis (the guy who plays the lead in Fear the Walking Dead) at The Warehouse (the NZ equivalent of Walmart).

I once worked with a teacher who was a childhood friend of Hamid Karzai, Bush's puppet President of Afghanistan.

And finally, Tom Cruise changed my aunt's tyre.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2016, 07:15:10 AM »

Of all those, this is the story I want to hear.

Thought of another "brush with greatness" story.  My wife and I went to Toronto for a weekend many years ago.  Stayed at a nice hotel downtown.  The first morning we got up, there was a huge commotion in the street outside, loud enough for us to hear from the fifth floor.  We looked out and the street was literally full of people, mostly screaming young females.  New Kids on the Block (boy band from the 80's) were staying in the same hotel, and were just arriving.  Ever seen 60's footage of The Beatles and how everywhere they went, there was a huge screaming mob of females?  It was exactly like this.

Later, we went down to get some breakfast, and it was completely stupid.  The lobby was full of photographers and fans, all hoping to catch a glimpse of them.  I'd heard of New Kids on the Block, but had no idea that they were this big, or they were in Canada anyway, for a while.

"I (waited) for (New Kids on the Block) so I could get some fucking breakfast"

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2016, 07:43:02 AM »
I once jammed with Chris Aylmer (who played bass in Samson along with Bruce Dickinson before he joined Maiden). He was a genuinely nice guy, played better guitar than me and had a terrible dialect so that he was very hard to understand. At least for us non-english speakers.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2016, 07:45:49 AM »
[Celebrity Jeopardy Sean Connery]
I filled the blank for your mother, Trebek!  HAR HAR HAR HAR
[/Celebrity Jeopardy Sean Connery]

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2016, 07:50:07 AM »
One of my coolest ones. Me and a bud were at a Whitesnake/Motley Crue concert in the late 80's at the arena in Jersey. In between the bands we went to grab a bear, We are just standing there and two guys standing next to us are doing the same. They kind of looked familiar so I say to my bud, dude that's Gene Simmons and Paul Stanley. So we start talking to them and sure enough it was them. We talked for about 15 minutes and they even purchased us a beer. It was pretty cool. Funny thing too is nobdfy else recognized them.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #42 on: April 07, 2016, 07:54:42 AM »
Please tell me Gene Simmons was drinking beer.  Because it would make his entire "I've never had a drop of alcohol" line complete bullshit (I never believed it anyway, but still).

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2016, 08:01:31 AM »

The movie The Last Samurai was filmed almost entirely in Taranaki, where I come from. At the time, my aunt had just bought a new car. She'd gone to see my grandad, who lived elsewhere in the region, and was driving home when she got a flat tyre. Because it was a new car, the wheeljack was somehow different than she was used to and she didn't know what to do. A convoy of trucks happened to drive past. The last one stopped and Tom Cruise got out and changed the tyre for her. Penelope Cruz and their kids were with him too. They chatted for a bit, they got signatures and then they left.

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #44 on: April 07, 2016, 08:17:11 AM »
Please tell me Gene Simmons was drinking beer.  Because it would make his entire "I've never had a drop of alcohol" line complete bullshit (I never believed it anyway, but still).

yep sure was

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #45 on: April 07, 2016, 08:39:15 AM »
Outstanding.  I always figured that was nonsense on his part.  There was an Ace Frehley bio that came out many years ago, where he recalls tales of Paul being completely drunk off his ass, and may have mentioned Gene having a drink or two (I can't remember, really).  It's good to hear someone confirming this.  For as much as I love Kiss, I never believed Gene's holier-than-thou "I don't drink or do drugs" bit.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #46 on: April 07, 2016, 09:02:49 AM »
Outstanding.  I always figured that was nonsense on his part.  There was an Ace Frehley bio that came out many years ago, where he recalls tales of Paul being completely drunk off his ass, and may have mentioned Gene having a drink or two (I can't remember, really).  It's good to hear someone confirming this.  For as much as I love Kiss, I never believed Gene's holier-than-thou "I don't drink or do drugs" bit.

Life-long Kiss fan (though, perhaps, not as dedicated as you.  ;0) and I've always found that sort of hard to swallow as well.   Especially for someone who is a) an epicurean, and b) as "disciplined" as he claims to be.   You'd think he would enjoy a glass of wine with dinner, etc. etc.   Though it would make the stance against Ace and Peter harder to take, though wouldn't it?  (For the record, I'm sort of in Gene and Paul's camp on this one; you have to be ersponsible for your actions, and if you choose to live the rock and roll lifestyle, you do so at the whim of your compatriots). 

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #47 on: April 07, 2016, 09:20:54 AM »
Here's one that isn't me personally:

"I played bass for Adrian Smith and Nicko McBrain." 

My friend (I've known him since we were in elementary school) was somewhere in the Caribbean (logic would say the Bahamas, but I don't know that to be true) and was at a club with his wife (who is superhot; think "blonde Cindy Crawford") having a drink.  Coming back to the table he stopped at the little stage in the corner to check out the bass and guitar that were there (he plays mainly guitar, but has been in bands since high school).   Guy walks up and says in a heavy Cockney accent, "you play bass?" and he says "Sure!" and goes and sits down.  Little while later, Cockney guy and his friend walk up to the stage and Cockney guy taps my buddy and says "C'mon, mate".  At that point, he recognized the friend (who wouldn't?), and so he pounds his drink and goes up there.  The other guy sits down at the drums, my buddy puts on the bass, and Cockney guy puts on the guitar and steps up to the mike.   Adrian Smith (Cockney guy) then turns around and says "Blues in C" and Nicko McBrain (the drummer friend) kicks it off, and they played for about 45 minutes. 

No Maiden, just jamming.   I can't remember if this was '91-92 timeframe, which would have been just after Smith left the band, or '98'-'99 timeframe, which would have been just around the time that Smith was in talks to rejoin the band.  One thing he did say was that it was hard for him to play, because he kept watching Adrian play; he said it was actually distracting to watch someone that good playing three feet from you. 

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #48 on: April 07, 2016, 10:57:42 AM »

The movie The Last Samurai was filmed almost entirely in Taranaki, where I come from. At the time, my aunt had just bought a new car. She'd gone to see my grandad, who lived elsewhere in the region, and was driving home when she got a flat tyre. Because it was a new car, the wheeljack was somehow different than she was used to and she didn't know what to do. A convoy of trucks happened to drive past. The last one stopped and Tom Cruise got out and changed the tyre for her. Penelope Cruz and their kids were with him too. They chatted for a bit, they got signatures and then they left.

Awesome!  :tup

Calvin6s

« Reply #49 on: April 07, 2016, 11:24:36 AM »
I lived in Hollywood for a few years and had a knack for having more than "sign this" meetings with celebs I cared about (although not uber famous, more like kinda).  You go from starstruck to starnumb quickly.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #50 on: April 07, 2016, 02:47:53 PM »
A couple years ago... Charlie Dominici caught a ride with a DTFer to a DT show in Anaheim (Dramatic Turn... Tour). He was just chilling in the lobby chit chatting with a couple of people.  My buddy saw him when he was taking a piss and called me to head over. It was crazy how like... hardly any one recognized him.

Also ran into to Derek Sherinian at the Black Label Society Unblackened show / DVD shoot a few years ago. Derek was playing keys for Zakk and was hanging out of the venue before the show. Gave my buddy and I so much shit because we were wearing DT shirts at a BLS show.

I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #51 on: April 07, 2016, 04:56:22 PM »
Running into celebs in and around Malibu when I was in law school at Pepperdine was fairly common.  But nothing really notable to discuss. 

Some of my music-related ones:

Got to sing onstage with the then-current members of Y&T in 2007.  Joey Alves, one of the original members of Y&T got onstage with a group of friends to jam some old songs in 2003 or so.  Have met those guys a bunch of times.

DT, obviously.  And that has led to meeting Matt Guillory and Frank Aresti. 

Met the members of Queensryche once at an aftershow, but conversations were relatively short and it was a weird encounter.  Not sure whether to even count it.  But it was definitely more than the "run through the line meet and great" type deal, so I'll mention it. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Calvin6s

« Reply #52 on: April 07, 2016, 06:48:28 PM »
One thing I've noticed is they almost always seem smaller in real life.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #53 on: April 07, 2016, 07:02:49 PM »

Got to sing onstage with the then-current members of Y&T in 2007.  Joey Alves, one of the original members of Y&T got onstage with a group of friends to jam some old songs in 2003 or so.  Have met those guys a bunch of times.

C'mon, gotta post the video man....

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #54 on: April 07, 2016, 07:41:29 PM »
That was a classic. You guys did War Pigs, right?

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #55 on: April 07, 2016, 10:13:53 PM »
I thought it was Mean Streets. I know Hef has the video or link....I think he does at least...

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #56 on: April 08, 2016, 07:42:26 AM »
Do I?

I will see what I can do.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #57 on: April 08, 2016, 07:53:05 AM »
That was a classic. You guys did War Pigs, right?
Best part was Dave's "I seriously can't tell whether this dude is serious or not" response.  :lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #58 on: April 08, 2016, 09:51:49 AM »
:lol

Online axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #59 on: April 08, 2016, 10:16:27 AM »
The biggest one for me is probably making food for James Gandolfini. My family's restaurant was the location where they shot the last scene of the Sopranos, and I met the actors who played Tony, Carmella, and AJ (no Meadow  >:(). I actually spent most of my day cooking and re-cooking the food that everyone was eating because it took so long to set up each different camera angle, that every time they started filming again the extras needed fresh food. James Gandolfini caught on at one point and started hanging out by the grill in between filming so he could snag some extra fries and whatnot :lol Super nice guy though.

Michael Strahan and his family were regulars for a while when they first moved to the area and their kitchen was getting redone, so I made him chocolate milkshakes a few times. I also sold Easter candy to Whoopi Goldberg once or twice. Both of them were also very nice.

I'm still bitter that I wasn't there the time Stephen Colbert stopped in  :censored
Photobucket sucks.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #60 on: April 08, 2016, 12:43:21 PM »
Picked up former Boston Bruin Craig Janney in my cab one day. Dude was hammered in the middle of the day at a stripclub on Cape Cod. He spent most of the ride on the phone with Jeremy Roenick, and once he was off the phone he was complaining about how much his back hurt. Wicked nice guy, though. Signed my B's hat I happened to be wearing at the end of the ride.

Also have hung out with Ray Bourque, Terry O'Reilly, Cleon Daskalakis, Dennis Seidenberg and Adam McQuaid while at a couple Bruins games.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Calvin6s

« Reply #61 on: April 08, 2016, 01:07:09 PM »
The biggest one for me is probably making food for James Gandolfini. My family's restaurant was the location where they shot the last scene of the Sopranos
And I thought the bar was set too high on the OP with former Presidents, but this might have topped it.  We aren't just talking about a Sopranos episode (which is cool by itself), but the infamous Sopranos location.

Half of the names dropped in this thread, I have to Google.   :blush
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 01:55:38 PM by Calvin6s »

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #62 on: April 08, 2016, 01:13:00 PM »
The biggest one for me is probably making food for James Gandolfini. My family's restaurant was the location where they shot the last scene of the Sopranos, and I met the actors who played Tony, Carmella, and AJ (no Meadow  >:(). I actually spent most of my day cooking and re-cooking the food that everyone was eating because it took so long to set up each different camera angle, that every time they started filming again the extras needed fresh food. James Gandolfini caught on at one point and started hanging out by the grill in between filming so he could snag some extra fries and whatnot :lol Super nice guy though.

That's really awesome and can corroborate that comment him. I know someone who was really close with him and his family. I was told he was one of the friendliest and most generous people he ever met.

Here's my list.

I once sold Method Man a Halloween costume for his kid. (back when I was working at Party City)

I have interviewed Mike Portnoy and Ray Alder.

I was standing next to Jason Mewes at a Highway Nine (formerly Sam Hill and Mr. Reality) show.

I gave subway directions to the Austin Pendleton. (The stuttering lawyer from My Cousin Vinny)

I was bought a beer by Shane Spencer. (former New York Yankee)

When I was working for a lawn irrigation company a few years back, we serviced Robin Quivers' (from Howard Stern) house.  She was uber friendly.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #63 on: April 08, 2016, 01:19:23 PM »
Oh, another one that comes to mind:  Frank Hannon was on the same flight as me.  I was already seated when he was boarding.  The line backed up, so he was stuck just standing there a few paces from me.  After a few seconds, I recognized him.  We briefly made eye contact and I smiled and did a discreet wave.  He immediately averted his eyes, and I could tell he wanted to remain incognito instead of having fans come up to him on the plane, so I let him be.  I have heard from others that know him (he is local, after all) that he is shy and does not really like public attention, other than when he is on stage. 

Oh, and at the end of the flight, one of the stewardesses was carrying a Les Paul guitar case from the front of the plane and was looking around saying "who does this belong to?"  I was like, "OH, OH! I KNOW!"  :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #64 on: April 08, 2016, 01:21:34 PM »
So you took his guitar??
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #65 on: April 08, 2016, 01:39:37 PM »
:innocent:

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #66 on: April 08, 2016, 02:58:11 PM »
Oh, I forgot.  In 1995 (I think it was 95), the Penthouse Pet of the Year was a feature dancer at a local club.  You might say that I met her.

I don't remember her name, but whomever it was. 
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Calvin6s

« Reply #67 on: April 08, 2016, 03:29:47 PM »
Oh, I forgot.  In 1995 (I think it was 95), the Penthouse Pet of the Year was a feature dancer at a local club.  You might say that I met her.

I feel like paid "meet and greets" were off the table.   :lol

Online axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #68 on: April 08, 2016, 03:35:38 PM »
The biggest one for me is probably making food for James Gandolfini. My family's restaurant was the location where they shot the last scene of the Sopranos
And I thought the bar was set too high on the OP with former Presidents, but this might have topped it.  We aren't just talking about a Sopranos episode (which is cool by itself), but the infamous Sopranos location.

Half of the names dropped in this thread, I have to Google.   :blush

I still get an involuntary twitch whenever I hear Don't Stop Believing, they had that song on a loop throughout filming :lol
Photobucket sucks.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #69 on: April 10, 2016, 05:08:53 AM »

I feel like paid "meet and greets" were off the table.   :lol
lol Some money definitely changed hands.

Or hand.  MY hand.  Not her hand.  Her, well, something else.