Author Topic: The "I (fill in blank) for (uber famous person)" Thread!!!  (Read 10322 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: The "I (fill in blank) for (uber famous person)" Thread!!!
« Reply #140 on: April 30, 2016, 10:04:05 AM »
 :lol
.well I'm trying to see Coz when I head to Gettysburg this Friday 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #141 on: April 30, 2016, 11:14:29 AM »
ITT:

Old People.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Bacong

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #142 on: April 30, 2016, 01:18:02 PM »
I'm not sure you guys know this or not, but Bon Scott is my grandfather.

Offline moonman9j9

• m'pizza
« Reply #143 on: April 30, 2016, 01:23:37 PM »
I was once sitting alone in a McDonald's booth eating a #3 and behind me I hear, "hey, you, recommend some music!"

I turn around and it's the POPE! I couldn't believe it! He was just sitting there in the next booth by himself like me. I was taken by surprise so I just blurted out "Porcupine Tree!"

"Is that a type of plant?" he laughed.
"No, your eminence, it's a great progressive rock band!"
"Cool, I'll download it on Tidal!"

You just never know what can happen. I feel blessed.
Strive for greatness.

Offline Michel Camilo

« Reply #144 on: April 30, 2016, 01:41:54 PM »
I was once sitting alone in a McDonald's booth eating a #3 and behind me I hear, "hey, you, recommend some music!"

I turn around and it's the POPE! I couldn't believe it! He was just sitting there in the next booth by himself like me. I was taken by surprise so I just blurted out "Porcupine Tree!"

"Is that a type of plant?" he laughed.
"No, your eminence, it's a great progressive rock band!"
"Cool, I'll download it on Tidal!"

You just never know what can happen. I feel blessed.

Wow That Is Amazing! Dam...

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #145 on: May 04, 2016, 08:42:14 AM »
I go out of my way to give musicians the benefit of the doubt (on another board, I'm defending Beyoncé...) but Faster Pussycat is one of those bands I just don't understand their longevity.   I can't look at Taime Downe (or hear his name, frankly) and not giggle, and other than that one song ("House of Pain") it's just......
Yeah, I know exactly what you mean.

I am very envious that you saw the Sykes-led Whitesnake; Cozy Powell was in that incarnation as well, no?  I probably won't go now, but Whitesnake is one of the few bands I wish I got to see and never did.   
Yup.  Cozy was there.  It was a great show.  I don't think I had heard a note of their music beforehand, but after seeing them, I was sold.  And I know what you mean about wanting to see them back in their glory days.  They were fantastic on all three of those tours, but I wouldn't see them now unless they just happened to be on a bill with someone else I really wanted to see.

Are you familiar with the two versions of Slide It In?   The European version and the US version? 
Not sure.  That seems to ring a bell, but I'm not recalling specifically at the moment. 

Very true.  They never quite made it to headliner status, but they seemed to be a very prolific touring band.  I think I saw them open for Bon Jovi in the mid-'90s as well.  Possibly Y&T at some point as well. 

I get to see them open for Y&T on Saturday (well, sort of, anyway).
Heh.  Yeah, I suppose so.  :)
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #146 on: May 04, 2016, 08:59:59 AM »

They did a great set:

Black Tiger
Mean Streak
Take You to the Limit
I'm Coming Home
Contagious
Summertime Girls
Rescue Me
Squeeze
Forever (with Michael Sweet on backing vocals)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #147 on: May 04, 2016, 09:03:56 AM »
Are you familiar with the two versions of Slide It In?   The European version and the US version? 
Not sure.  That seems to ring a bell, but I'm not recalling specifically at the moment. 

They released a version of "Slide It In" in the UK, with the Powell-Lord-Murray-Galley-Moody lineup.  All ten songs, but in a different order.  THEN there was a 'remix' by Keith Olsen, with added guitar parts from John Sykes and some keyboards, which is the version released in the States (and probably the version you're most familiar with).   They're both good, but this is clearly the transition from "Come 'An Get It" or "Saints 'An Sinners" to "1987". 

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #148 on: May 04, 2016, 09:11:31 AM »

They did a great set:

Black Tiger
Mean Streak
Take You to the Limit
I'm Coming Home
Contagious
Summertime Girls
Rescue Me
Squeeze

I always loved Summertime Girls. That song always made it onto my summer songs mix.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #149 on: May 04, 2016, 09:16:49 AM »

They did a great set:

Black Tiger
Mean Streak
Take You to the Limit
I'm Coming Home
Contagious
Summertime Girls
Rescue Me
Squeeze
That is a REALLY good set (aside from being so short).  Cool that they included Michael Sweet.  Who did the vocals on Squeeze?  I'm assuming John Nyman, but correct me if I'm wrong. 

Personally, I have always preferred Mean Streak with a guest vocalist.  But I guess you can't have everything.  ;)
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #150 on: May 04, 2016, 09:41:24 AM »
Sweet was the host for the festival this year.  I'd rather he'd been there with Stryper playing, but whatever.  He did a short acoustic set for VIP ticket holders.  I can't find a set list anywhere, but based on Youtube videos, he did Peace of Mind, Livin on a Prayer, Lady, Calling on You, Dying Rose (Sweet/Lynch).

Yeah, Nyman did Squeeze.  He's very animated.  :lol  Also, he did ask Dave if they could do War Pigs, but they opted for Squeeze instead.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #151 on: May 04, 2016, 09:43:39 AM »
Also, he did ask Dave if they could do War Pigs, but they opted for Squeeze instead.
:lol  Well played, my friend.  Well played.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #152 on: May 04, 2016, 10:28:47 AM »
Somehow this turned into a Fogey Concert Thread!

I saw Whitesnake once, opening for Motley Crue in 1987. I was not impressed. I thought the lineup was poser-city. I mean hard to call Aldridge a poser, but I was big fans of Sykes/Murray/Dunbar and I thought '87 touring lineup (and all future WS lineups)was a complete farce. Didn't bother hitting their headline show a few months later.

Faster Pussycat was the worst band I've ever seen live. I saw them in a small club in 9/87 in Providence, and they single handedly caused me to consider skipping the GnR show there a month later. I also went to the Alice Cooper/Freheley's Comet/FP show at the Garden in 87, and Ace was sick which meant more time for FP. They were so lost on an arena stage.

Saw Cozy Powell twice live. Once with ELPowell in '86. WE met him after the show. He let us take his pic and he signed my ticket. Someday I'll scan those in. Also saw him (and Neil Murray) in Brian May's band when they opened for GnR at the Garden in '93.

..and speaking of Dokken, saw them a few times, but saw them open for Priest in '86. During JP's set, look who's standing next to us??

« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 10:38:56 AM by TAC »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #153 on: May 04, 2016, 10:38:31 AM »
^^^  That look says it all:  "I wish I was that fucking good."

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #154 on: May 04, 2016, 10:42:18 AM »
In his day, he was damn good.  Nowadays, he's awful.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #155 on: May 04, 2016, 10:43:55 AM »
I always thought he was such an asshole on stage.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #156 on: May 04, 2016, 10:55:14 AM »
In his day, he was damn good.  Nowadays, he's awful.

Never got that.  My buddy, and (at the time) bandmate, was a huge Dokken fan, primarily because of Lynch, but I always thought he was a very generic singer.   He could carry a note, had decent range, and decent tone, but was just so... BLAND.   And I concede that this is just my opinion, but I was listening to Dio, Dickinson, Ozzy, Roth, Meine, Stanley/Simmons, and Gillan more than anything, so that's who I was comparing him to. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #157 on: May 04, 2016, 03:31:22 PM »
Dokken had what I would all a generally pleasant voice. But I never thought of him as a great singer. I actually felt he was somewhat limited. And there was just something about Dokken (the band) that was very lacking. Sure they had some great songs and all. I just never found them very fulfilling.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #158 on: May 04, 2016, 05:50:16 PM »
Dokken had what I would all a generally pleasant voice. But I never thought of him as a great singer. I actually felt he was somewhat limited.

I agree.  That is perhaps why his parts sound like they should be really easy to sing (which they are not, unless you have a naturally high range and smooth delivery).

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #159 on: May 04, 2016, 06:52:07 PM »
The music made up for Don's average singing.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #160 on: May 04, 2016, 07:11:17 PM »
The music made up for Don's average singing.

I don't know about that.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #161 on: May 04, 2016, 07:12:48 PM »
For the 80's hair bands coming out, Dokken was always better than most.

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
« Reply #162 on: May 07, 2016, 07:04:03 AM »
  ~ a.k.a. VFS in a past life :vfs:

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #163 on: May 25, 2017, 03:04:26 AM »
Necro-ing the thread because I just found out that my grandfather was apparently friends with Jimmy Barnes (from Cold Chisel) in high school.  :metal
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #164 on: May 25, 2017, 05:21:23 AM »
I would have met Lars Ulrich if I had gone to see Metallica in Philly with my best friend. 

I'm unsure if this is a good or bad thing.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #165 on: May 25, 2017, 07:33:47 AM »
I wrote a commercial insurance policy for the "Estate of Darrel Lance Abbott" aka - Dimebag Darrell.

An insurance agency that I worked for had a connection to a lawyer that represented Vinnie Paul.  Vinnie put together a picture book about Dime about 7-10 years ago and his lawyer contacted a salesman at our agency to buy an insurance policy in the event that Dime's estate was sued because of anything that may have been said or shown in the book.  The salesman had a conversation with Vinnie and his dad, and then passed the customer service on the account to me.

I was able to keep a copy of the book and a kept a copy of the insurance application with Vinnie Paul's signature.   :metal

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #166 on: May 25, 2017, 08:24:20 AM »
I would have met Lars Ulrich if I had gone to see Metallica in Philly with my best friend. 

I met Lars (and the rest of the guys) back in the St. Anger days.

Dude was super cool. Really nice and talkative. Basically stood there and talked to every person for a good 5 minutes each about whatever they wanted.

I had no idea what to say and just talked about Mike Portnoy since DT had recently covered MoP. He was totally cool about the whole thing.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline WDADU

• Are you justified?
« Reply #167 on: May 25, 2017, 04:49:18 PM »
Met Ted Neeley after a performance of Jesus Christ Superstar in Kitchener. Talked to him for a good ten minutes, signed my ticket. Very nice guy.
Brave
Murder
Day

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #168 on: May 26, 2017, 05:30:53 AM »

I met Lars (and the rest of the guys) back in the St. Anger days.

Dude was super cool. Really nice and talkative. Basically stood there and talked to every person for a good 5 minutes each about whatever they wanted.

I had no idea what to say and just talked about Mike Portnoy since DT had recently covered MoP. He was totally cool about the whole thing.

Did he talk about himself in the third person? He seems like that kind of guy.  ;)

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #169 on: May 26, 2017, 05:35:07 AM »
Well, he referred to himself as The Lars.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #170 on: May 26, 2017, 05:35:53 AM »
Oooh, third person with a definite article. What a self-righteous little Dane.  :lol

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #171 on: May 27, 2017, 12:41:12 AM »

I was extremely impressed with both interactions. Our Hard Rock Casino has a 50's diner inside that does a burger challenge every year. John Ratzenberger and George Wendt were the hosts last year. So as five surly bros ate away at their burgers, John walked around the restaurant talking to various patrons. One such family he came across had a little kid that brought a Hamm toy with him. For those of you not familiar with Hamm, he's the pig in Toy Story that John voiced. Anyway, he sat down in their booth and chatted with the kid and his family for a good five minutes. Afterwards I asked if I could get a picture with him, and he said no problem. SUPER cool guy.

I met Jason David Frank at a con here in Tulsa. Another really friendly and happy guy. We were waiting in line for the photo ops and he rolled under the "do not cross" tape to walk down the line and say hi to all of us. He picked up a little girl in a Power Rangers costume, spun her around a bit, and took a selfie with her.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 12:47:57 AM by MetalJunkie »
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #172 on: May 27, 2017, 12:48:07 AM »
I was going to ask who the guy in the second pic was, but then you edited in the text. :tup
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #173 on: May 27, 2017, 07:24:33 PM »
George Wendy filled out nicely.