Author Topic: New album from Odd Logic - Last Watch of the Nightingale - Sep 28th  (Read 4378 times)

Offline jammindude

Re: New album from Odd Logic - EFFIGY is amazing!!
« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2018, 09:56:05 AM »
BUMP.

Sean Thompson is now involved in a Dream Theater Tribute band called Forsaken Fortress, and they have some upcoming gigs in Seattle.  They are playing the Hard Rock Cafe in downtown Seattle next Saturday, and they got an opening slot for Angra on their Seattle stop on Sept 26th. 

Odd Logic's new album is almost finished.   I've seen the cover, and I know the title, but I'm not sure I can say yet.   It looks AMAZING.   

"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline deggs37

• Big Chungus
« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2018, 08:49:34 AM »
Thank you for this thread and bringing this band to my attention! Just started listening to Penny For Your Thoughts and I am blown away by how much I am enjoying it. The songwriting and arrangements are on par with the excellent instrumentation, with lots of interesting twists and turns. Was surprised to find out it's all just one guy? Pretty crazy! I can't wait to check out the other stuff.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2018, 09:03:15 AM »
I still find Penny to be my least favorite. But there are some amazing moments.

Credit where credit is due...he does have a few guys with creative input, but to me it is really his “baby”.  Pete Hansen is the drummer that did the death vocals on Penny for Your Thoughts...but I believe the drum tracks were already laid down by the time he joined. I have to double check that. But Pete definitely played drums on Effigy.  A really great guy named Steven Pierce has done some guitar work on a few of the albums, but not all. And Kevin Hunter did some keyboards on the earlier albums, but then left for awhile. But I’ve heard he might be making some contributions to the new album if schedules line up.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2019, 08:42:20 PM »
I just had to repost The Great March.   What a GREAT freakin EPIC!   It had to grow on me, but now the final chorus is one of my favorite progressive metal moments of all time.  ESPECIALLY that section from 12:37-14:47.   That children's choir just gives me the ultimate goosebump moment.

https://youtu.be/O_Tos62Napw

New album is only a month or two away.   I've got a pretty good feeling about this next one.   After their first 3 albums were a bit "demo-y" and then doing the experimental "Over the Underworld" (which can really only be appreciated by watching the movie with it)...they have really hit a stride with with the last 3 albums.  Effigy was their best, and I think the new one might top it.

It's going to be called Last Watch of the Nightingale and here's the cover:

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
Re: New album from Odd Logic - Last Watch of the Nightingale (June 2019)
« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2019, 09:01:25 PM »
can't wait
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
Re: New album from Odd Logic - Last Watch of the Nightingale (June 2019)
« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2019, 09:31:23 PM »
I liked Penny for Your Thoughts and Effigy was really enjoyable, so I'm looking forward to this. :metal
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline jammindude

Re: New album from Odd Logic - Last Watch of the Nightingale - Sep 28th
« Reply #41 on: September 07, 2019, 05:49:39 AM »
Better late than never. I am just pumped that it’s finally here!!

Pre-release of the new album will be September 28th on Bandcamp. The physical release will be some time in October, once the discs have been stocked at CDbaby. If you prefer Amazon, Spotify, iTunes, etc...it will be there at some point as well. Welcome to the world of independent music as we have no firm dates for any distributor availability. We just roll with "The Tide".

Song List for "Last Watch of the Nightingale":

Last Watch 6:17
Garden of Thorns 6:17
Absence 5:30
Chance of Gods 6:26
Dreaming in Color 8:02
of the Nightingale 8:15
Sorrow 4:09
Boundary Division 23:00

There’s also a teaser here: https://clyp.it/34vcnhxq

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #42 on: September 07, 2019, 10:16:39 AM »
Alright. Just to wait a couple of weeks. Excited to hear what he has in store for us this time.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline jammindude

« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2019, 12:39:20 PM »
Just heard a pre-release of track 6 “of the Nightingale” (which I’ve also been told is part 2 of the first track “Last Watch”) and its pretty freakin awesome.

I can’t wait to hear the whole thing. I hope I get it at least a few days early.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #44 on: September 09, 2019, 10:22:24 AM »
So Sean sent me the album yesterday and I’ve listened to it twice so far today. I have to say, you guys are in for a real treat. I am completely floored beyond my expectations. The album sounds like a crossbreed of Aquarius by Haken, and The Wake of Magellan by Savatage performed by a supergroup made up of members of Dream Theater, Haken, and Enchant.

Yes! This album is that good!

Offline jammindude

« Reply #45 on: September 13, 2019, 12:06:54 AM »
The pre sale is up!

Guys, I’m honestly not sure what to do. What would you do if one of your best friends had released what you felt was honestly one of the best albums you’d ever heard? I’m almost tempted to offer a moneyback guarantee for anyone who buys this album. It’s such an amazing piece of work. And I’m not just saying that because he’s a friend of mine. I’m not shy about telling him when he’s made a misstep. Some of you here really enjoyed Penny for Your Thoughts.  But I’ve made no secret of the fact that I thought it was a bit of a mess. I’ve even told Sean that it crushed me that I had to tell him the honest to God truth that I didn’t care for it.   But this new album is a totally different story.  I just wish there was a way that I could buy a copy for everyone. This album is so amazing!

PLEASE support this amazing album and artist!

The pre-sale started today, the physical copies will be coming soon. You will not be disappointed!

https://oddlogicrock.bandcamp.com/

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #46 on: September 13, 2019, 01:22:39 AM »
Penny For Your Thoughts was an OK album. I thought Effigy was really good, but I'm expecting great things from this new album  :tup

Do you know if they are planning on releasing a vinyl version of the album?
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #47 on: September 17, 2019, 06:52:27 PM »
Penny For Your Thoughts was an OK album. I thought Effigy was really good, but I'm expecting great things from this new album  :tup

Do you know if they are planning on releasing a vinyl version of the album?

I WISH!   As of right now, Sean said we wouldn't (at this point) be getting T-shirts for the brand new album yet like we did for Effigy.   

But I'm hoping this album changes all that.  Because (and full disclosure here) I'm not just a yes man.  I tell him when I don't care for something.   I openly hated the cover for Penny, and thought the album had a few gems, but was generally a mess.    And it KILLED me to tell him that, because it's my understanding that it was one of his most personal projects (it was originally intended to be a solo album IIRC).  I say that so that no one will think I'm being an Odd Logic commercial when I say this is BY FAR the best thing he's ever done.  It's just astounding how far he's come.    The first 3 albums have some of his best songs, and I've grown very fond of them, but they definitely suffer from amateur production that has to be overlooked in order to be fully appreciated.    Then the 4th album (Over the Underworld) was more of an experiment that was meant to be experienced in sync with the Kate Beckinsale movie....and when seen that way, it's brilliant...but on it's own it doesn't hold up that well.   Which makes If We Were Live the first *proper* OL album. (also the first album that he recorded with a full band IIRC) And that album is definitely amazing.    But since then we've had Penny, Effigy, and now Nightingale, so things just keep getting better.

Nightingale is definitely a contender for album of the year.   There is not a single dud on this entire album.  It's going to be one of those rare albums where every song takes a turn being my "favorite".     

Offline jammindude

« Reply #48 on: September 23, 2019, 04:04:03 PM »

• DTF.org Member
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline jammindude

« Reply #50 on: September 28, 2019, 01:01:05 PM »
That song is just the tip.  I honestly can't stop spinning this album.   Seriously album of the year so far for me.   

I'm seriously considering buying a few copies for people here on the board.   I honestly love this album, and I believe in the greatness of it that much.   If people just heard the damn thing, I'm positive this would be a breakthrough album.   It's just criminal he doesn't have a record deal. 

Offline jammindude

« Reply #51 on: September 28, 2019, 01:03:20 PM »
Here's the link in case anyone missed it.   

https://oddlogicrock.bandcamp.com/album/last-watch-of-the-nightingale

And seriously.   I've bought copies for a few people already, and I'm willing to buy 3 or 4 more for people that I think would love it.  So contact me if you're curious.    But honestly....this album is really good and is well worth the 9 bucks if you happen to have it. 

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #52 on: September 28, 2019, 03:04:58 PM »
Oh cool its out now. Will definately buy it soon.

Offline Weymolith

• THIS IS NOT HERE
  • Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #53 on: September 29, 2019, 06:11:26 PM »
Definite album of the year contender right here!
As a general rule, never play with boxes that open portals to Hell.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #54 on: September 29, 2019, 07:26:49 PM »
hmm. gave it a full spin just now and it's solid but nothing about it really wowed me or stood out. they seem to be going for some meeting ground between 00's prog metal and the djentier sound of the last decade but in particular the vocals seem weak and the instrumental, while it has its moments, just feels like stuff i've heard before. not necessarily better or worse than stuff i've heard before, but just. i dunno, not doing it for me

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #55 on: September 29, 2019, 07:55:54 PM »
I'm listening now, almost done.

I think the vocals are more than adequate. But Cyril, as you say they're weak, I think weak vocals are fairly common these days. So much of this style of music is keen on the instrumentals, as evidenced by the amount of instrumental albums being released, that the vocals are mere afterthoughts.  I think the spot growls are cool. It's a heavier Structural Disorder, though I think SD's hooks are stronger.

Still, I think this is really good, and I need a couple more listens to this to fully digest this. I like it though.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: September 29, 2019, 08:11:28 PM »
Listening now, thanks

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #57 on: September 29, 2019, 08:32:16 PM »
i mean that's just it, there are some prog metal bands with vocalists who have power behind their voices - LaBrie used to be one, for example, and Haken, Caligula's Horse, and Leprous are all bands that are as vocally driven as they are instrumentally driven. It also helps that they each have their own styles and sounds, which I didn't really get the impression that Odd Logic do from what I heard. They're instrumentally talented enough, there was the occasional instrumental moment that caught my ear first listen for sure, but the songwriting seemed kind of all over the place & especially that 23-minute "epic" just felt like a long string of disconnected ideas.

Considering a lot of what I've been listening to lately is post-hardcore, which is also very vocally-driven, weak vocals are just a flat turn-off for me nowadays, I suppose  :lol
But being instrumentally technically impressive by itself isn't enough for me either, there just wasn't a ton that hooked me in. It doesn't seem particularly worse or better than the average prog metal these days though. I prefer this over the djenty djent no-melody all-rhythm trends or the textureless melancholy of TesseracT ripoffs though, for what it's worth.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #58 on: September 29, 2019, 08:34:25 PM »
Wait...you like Haken??

I spent an evening a few months ago trying to get into Caligula's Horse and Leprous. I think I'd gladly take this album over anything I heard.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #59 on: September 29, 2019, 08:36:13 PM »
i have liked haken since their demo 10 years ago lol

Offline jammindude

« Reply #60 on: September 29, 2019, 09:21:52 PM »
Personally, I love his voice. The first time I heard him live (with a different project opening for Fates Warning on the DIADL tour) I thought he sounded like Ted Leonard from Enchant. And the harmonies he records just goosebump me. Especially that chorus on Garden of Thorns(the “not what I pictured” part).

I mean, I love Ross from Haken...but if you want to bring up thin voices in prog rock, he’s my #1 candidate. I think Sean’s voice is fuller than his. But it’s true that he’s no JLB or Russell Allen
« Last Edit: September 29, 2019, 10:07:30 PM by jammindude »

Offline fivestring

• I like cheese
« Reply #61 on: September 30, 2019, 10:41:25 AM »
I thought he sounded like Ted Leonard from Enchant. And the harmonies he records just goosebump me.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I listened to this new Odd Logic album and thought there was some strong Enchant vibes throughout this album. Though, for me, it's both the sound of the vocals and there's a lot of the instrumentation and the tones there that remind me a LOT of Enchant. There's heavier/more aggressive stuff on "Last Watch..." than Enchant would do, that's for sure.

LWotN is a pretty solid release. Not ground-breaking or AotY material, but a well done and enjoyable record for me.
Quote from: Ben_Jamin
it's a great way to showcase the drum sound by introducing the album with that awesome drumming and sound.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #62 on: October 05, 2019, 09:43:47 PM »
WOW!!!  I had no idea Sean was doing this!!  They now have a pretty cool lyric video for the track Chance of Gods!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQaxD6mBv30&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR2wshXReZox1hHzJ2uldarpnD9JwcKNLWlw5yFFLpU49DxFKBAv0RMojYs

Offline jammindude

« Reply #63 on: October 13, 2019, 10:27:56 AM »
Physical CDs arrived at CD Baby on the 9th....and were completely sold out in a day!!!   :o :o :o

I don't even have one yet, but Sean says there are more arriving on Tuesday, so the orders at CD Baby will be filled.   

TLDR - Physical copies are now available for those that prefer it.

https://store.cdbaby.com/cd/oddlogic8?fbclid=IwAR0Z6HVkYT26X_uRcdSLkFydeGwgRkqo5riVLJuNZK68RFvtcgnorZUpD7M

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #64 on: October 13, 2019, 11:53:58 AM »
Damn better get on that on Tuesday.