Author Topic: Elite's top 50 albums v. - 3 Years Older: #1: love is the dance of eternity  (Read 46841 times)

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
is he now?
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
Meh, never got the huge love for Haken. Thought Aquarius was way too wanky and had similar flaws to the modern DT albums, but after seeing them live I got a little bit more admiration for them, and there are some decent songs on The Mountain. I don't think I'll ever be a huge fan since I've kinda left that "appreciating technical prog metal" phase of my life though.

Listen to "Bound by Gravity" from their newest album. I think you'd love it, actually.

Anyways, just read through the list so far and it's great, but I've always thought you had great music taste, Elite, pretty similar to mine overall. I'd put Ghost Reveries over BWP, but still such a good album. Looking forward to the finish!

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Re: Elite's top 50 albums v. - 3 Years Older: #7: the sun sets forever...
« Reply #527 on: April 22, 2016, 03:18:50 PM »
For some reason I can't get into heavy Opeth, most of the songs sound either the same or too dragged out and long for me :justjen

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #528 on: April 22, 2016, 03:25:42 PM »
Anyways, just read through the list so far and it's great, but I've always thought you had great music taste, Elite, pretty similar to mine overall. I'd put Ghost Reveries over BWP, but still such a good album. Looking forward to the finish!

I hope what's left of the list (the top 6) will be liked :lol
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #529 on: April 22, 2016, 03:36:07 PM »
was never huge on this one, ghost reveries is the only opeth I really love though so  :lol

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #530 on: April 22, 2016, 04:17:52 PM »
My favourite Opeth album as well. It's just brilliant.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #531 on: April 22, 2016, 04:33:02 PM »
Brilliant album.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #532 on: April 22, 2016, 04:34:41 PM »
My second favorite of theirs, after Ghost Reveries. But I'm loving BWP more and more.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 02:18:35 AM by Tomislav95 »
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #533 on: April 22, 2016, 04:37:26 PM »
BWP was my first Opeth album, got it shortly after release. I almost never listen to Opeth these days, and honestly, a good part of that is probably the death vocals. My favourite now is Deliverance, so if I put them on, it's normally that, but BWP and GR are both still awesome as well.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #534 on: April 22, 2016, 05:33:07 PM »
Watershed is probably my favorite, but Blackwater Park is pretty fantastic. The title track is my favorite.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #535 on: April 22, 2016, 08:58:38 PM »
Blackwater Park is so good.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #537 on: April 23, 2016, 12:36:50 AM »
Good to see so many people enjoy BWP! It's always funny to see that everybody had their favourite Opeth album. Despite their genre(s) they are so versatile in what they do and their output over the years has been consistently great. There's not a single album of theirs that would benweird to have as a personal #1.
Squ

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #538 on: April 23, 2016, 01:24:06 AM »
Blackwater Park is just one of the greatest albums ever  :metal
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #539 on: April 23, 2016, 02:31:43 AM »
BWP is a great album, but I feel similar to In Absentia it's gotten overrated among fans. Personally I would put Still Life, My Arms Your Hearse, Deliverance and Ghost Reveries over it. To me, BWP is about 60% awesome sauce and 40% OK. The first four tracks and the title track are all awesome, but Dirge For November and The Funeral Portrait are both bottom tier Opeth songs IMO.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #540 on: April 23, 2016, 03:29:35 AM »
For what it's worth, MAYH and Still Life are my second and third favourite Opeth albums. Number 6 will be up in a bit, I'll post in my break.
Squ

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
California.

You were right, only a spot too early.

---

6. Mr. Bungle – California (1999)

This might well be the most musically polarising album in my top 50. Whereas with basically all other records, there could be one term I could describe the album with (‘Bath’ is difficult, but avant-garde does it), there is no way to describe this album, other than by saying ‘very varied’. Even Wikipedia, always so good at giving music the labels they deserve, could think of nothing better than ‘experimental rock’, couple with the following subtext: “in keeping with much of the band's output, the album incorporates a wide variety of musical styles, including Hawaiian music, Eastern music, electro-funk, doo-wop, folk music, pop music, surf rock, circus music, psychobilly, kecak, thrash metal, lounge music, jazz rock, avant-garde music, piano ballads and music influenced by science fiction, spaghetti western and horror film scores.” Look how that quote says ‘including’!? That’s not even all.

What’s probably a good introduction to this band would be to listen to this album without expect anything at all (even though that would be impossible right now, after having read that opening paragraph) and being utterly amazed at all the stuff that will inevitably get thrown around your head. In a sense, it’s also quite frightening to hear what this band manages to throw together on one album, without losing focus or sounding too awkward. I think, if many bands would try to do what Mr. Bungle did on this record, they would fail and the results would likely sound terrible. What I believe is that Mr. Bungle tried to actively the boundaries of what could be constituted as popular music, by throwing so much different style together on one album, that it’s very weird to consider that a major label (Warner Bros) actually released this album.

That said, this is not their most experimental album and the whole is actually quite accessible, despite the many genres found spread out over the album’s 10 tracks. The album the band released before ‘California’ is actually far more experimental and messed-up, featuring moments that leave you completely clueless as to what the band was thinking (especially in tracks such as The Bends, Ma Meeshka Mow Skoz and Merry Go Bye Bye). This makes me believe that the band wanted to try out their insanely experimental approach on music to fit song-writing that could actually be catchy as well. As much as I may like ‘Disco Volante’, the fact that it’s barely unlistenable at point and features little to no hooks at all makes me not want to listen it all too often. ‘California’ is not only cohesive, the songs are structured in such a way that they all resemble different aspects of popular music in one way or another.

Of course, this wouldn’t be a Mr. Bungle without complete insanity, and anyone thinking this would be an album to listen to at ease is simply wrong. Although this is definitely not as messed-up as the maudlin of the Well album, this album features plenty of weirdness, and this isn’t only because of the genre-blending this band does. Featuring basically any western instrument, as well as a couple of ethnic instruments, the band is not afraid to try out new things. Random noises get transformed to instruments as well – and this is all made even better by Mike Patton’s vocal diversity. Where the opening paragraph states that the band explorer all kinds of genres, this is not entirely true for every track. Most have a base that they work out of. Opener Sweet Charity is in the same vein as your laid-back surf-rock (Beach Boys style), whereas the second track None of Them Knew They Were Robots is like rock-‘n-roll on acid, with various breaks of random-seeming genres in unexpected places. The list goes on and on basically, and I do not want to spoil every single track on this album, but there’s a couple of tracks I want to give special attention to.

Ars Moriendi is my favourite track from this record, and probably a track that could serve pretty well as not only an introduction to Mr. Bungle, but also as a way to scare off everybody. I once used this track in a jazz improvisation course I was in at university, as I compared this track to how a jazz musician would solo of changes. If you hear this piece for the first time, I’m sure you’ll be hard pressed to find many recurring theme, and the thing actually sounds like an insane improvisation on all instruments, but it’s composed so ridiculously well, that it’s likely my favourite Bungle track. Arguably also the most technical song on the album, the melodies based on Arabic/Egyptian music flow very well into disco music, but also into almost the heaviest they do on this record. Amazing track. Pretty much the other side of the spectrum is RetroVertigo, a song that’s the most toned-down ballad-like the band will ever do. Is it really a ballad? Probably not, but for their doing it might be. Pink Cigarette is also a ballad, but one that’s far more twisted and ends unexpectedly.

Two other songs that also explore how far a band can go in combining genres and style are The Air-Conditioned Nightmare and Goodbye Sober Day. The first of these combines psychobilly with lounge-music and overall weirdness. Probably one of the more upbeat tracks on the record, it’s predominantly driven by guitar, something that is actually not standard for this band at all. The album closer Goodbye Sober Day is the most evil track on the record (that last 30 seconds is just downright scary – almost as if a gateway to hell has been opener), and also one of the most experimental. In fact, this one would have been a good track for their previous record as well.

Probably the weirdest track on the album (and that’s saying a LOT) is Golem II: The Bionic Vapour Boy. Based on what seem to be keyboard sounds coming from children’s toys and wind-up music-boxes, combined with heavy usage of vocal effects, this song is as strange as its title suggests. A similar thing can be said about The Holy Filament, a song that features Patton singing in ridiculously high falsetto voice. The only track that I have said nothing about yet is Vanity Fair, by far the ‘happiest’ track on the record, that also sounds positively sarcastic – just read the lyrics. Which is also an aspect of the band I haven’t even mentioned yet; even though the music is weird, the lyrics always seems to fir with the theme of the song. All of it works together splendidly.

You know, I could write a 1000 words more about this record (this write-up is over thousand already) and not have everything covered. ‘California’ is one of the records I have heard most in my life – at least over the last 5 years and there’s just so much to hear on this album, that it never gets tiring. This is not a flawless album, I really think the production could have been a little better to make it even more awesome, but this comes damn close.

Favourite song: Ars Moriendi
Other songs worth checking out: Goodbye Sober Day, The Air-Conditioned Nightmare, RetroVertigo
Other stuff by this band: The band released two other albums; ‘Disco Volante’ is even more fucked-up, to the point of being barely unlistenable at points, while their self-titled is relatively accessible. Of those, I’d say ‘Disco Volante’ is the better album, but you might have to struggle to get through it, especially if this album is hard on your ears already.
Squ

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
Disco Volante is my favorite but California is a close second. Amazing album! Really hope Mr. Bungle would unite again and make another album.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
I'm pretty sure you had California in your last list.
Squ

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
I'm pretty sure you had California in your last list.

Yeah I think I did! It's a really good album

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
I've decided to have the top 5 spread out over 5 days for multiple reasons. This means there will be no update tonight, but I will post #5 tomorrow morning.

Enjoy your saturday night :D
Squ

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
purest torture

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: Elite's top 50 albums v. - 3 Years Older: #5: we wish we were dead
« Reply #547 on: April 24, 2016, 03:34:57 AM »
Here's number 5, with a write-up that might not do the record enough justice. Anyway, this is the longest write-up in the top 50 (I said that about 'Bath' too, but that was the longest up until that point. This one here really is the longest). There are few albums that leave a long lasting emotive impression, but this is one of them..

---

5. Have a Nice Life – Deathconsciousness (2008)

And here we are, at number #5 in my album top 50. The last 10%, starting off with an album I guess many who are reading this thread have not heard. And that’s a shame really, because this is one of the most beautiful albums I have ever heard, and simultaneously it’s ridiculously dark and depressing as well. ‘Deathconsciousness’ is one of those albums that need many spins before you can fully appreciate them, but also one that’s just such a rewarding experience when it does click. Back when I first heard this album (which honestly, was only August last year), I never thought that this album would end up in my top 50 at all, let alone this high. Though I said it needs many spins before it can truly be appreciated, ‘Deathconsciousness’ had me intrigued at the first listen and sucked me in.

‘Deathconsciousness’ is not an easy album to listen to. Its title is quite fitting actually, in the sense that it kind of makes you wonder what’s behind the word. The band name Have a Nice Life also has this kind of sarcastic tone to it, a bitter or dark underlying tone that can’t really be portrayed by mere words. The music on this record is dark, depressing, haunting and overall pessimistic. That the music from this album came forth from depression is pretty obvious when you listen to it. This might in fact very well be the saddest album I have in the whole list, but like with any good art, it does not convey only one emotion, for the music is absolutely beautiful at the same time.

‘Deathconsciousness’ is best described as an album that mixes shoegazing with ambient, post-punk, adds industrial traits and drones and is overall mixed in relatively lo-fi standards. The music has been written by two Connecticut guys that randomly tried to use a bunch of different instruments, allegedly using ‘whatever they could find’. The result is a unique sounding album, that isn’t the most technical or musically brilliant album that has ever been recorded. In fact, I might even say that of all the artists featured in my top 50, the two guys that recorded these album are the least proficient musicians. What these guys did however is create something that resonates, something that is full of emotion and actually very, very varied throughout. The duo constantly flirts between styles on this 90-minute record. Divided into two discs, the album explorers some lyrical themes that have to do with either fiction or reality, but seem focused around one aspect: coming to terms with one’s own mortality and approaching death.

The band titled the two discs rather differently. Disc 1 has the subtitle ‘The Plow That Broke The Plains’ and features 7 tracks. Disc 2, titled ‘The Future’ contains 6 tracks, that are all more upbeat in tempo (not so much in mood). With a total running time of 1.5 hours, this isn’t an easy album to digest, like I said. Also, for folks desperate to hear either good singing or audible vocals, this album is not for me. The guys are not that bad singers at all, but they’re not exactly brilliant either. The vocals are also often buried in the music, muddled to some extent, a trait that makes it hard to hear what they’re singing at all. That said, the lyrics on this record are often brilliant and it’s worth it to keep a lyric sheet nearby to hear what they’re singing. The lyrics contribute a ton to what happens musically. In the following passages I will try to give an honest account of all tracks on the album, but this is not an easy thing to do at all, especially since I want to keep these write-ups at least cohesive enough so that people will read them, but I’ll try.

A Quick One Before the Eternal Worm Devours All of Connecticut starts off the album. It’s mainly an instrumental, save for a couple of spoken words at the very end of the track. The song is built on repeating patterns played on slightly out-of-tune guitars, backed by cracking sounds and a spacey background. If this sounds boring. That’s probably because there’s not a whole lot more to this track. The result however, is a track that is very hypnotising and it works really well as an album opener. Bloodhail is the first track with vocals and is far more melodic than the mesmerising first tune, incorporating some heavily distorted guitars as drone underneath the reverb-drenched vocals. Pretty shoegazey, if you ask me. The lyrics, as far as I can tell, feature a man desperate to kill god, after he witnesses the destruction on earth. All humans form a living staircase, which the hunter climbs. He shoots god with 75x arrowheads and is successful in killing. The Big Gloom is probably my favourite track from the first CD and is a recounting of Jean-Paul Marat’s final days. The album cover is, for those who don’t know, an eighteenth century painting by David called ‘The Death of Marat’. The lyrics here are barely indecipherable, but the music provided is gloriously atmospheric. Hunter continues the story Bloodhail left us with. God has indeed been struck down, but rather than get angry, he’s merciful and lets the animals of earth eat of his flesh, so that he may be of further use still. Hunter opens very sombre, with distorted drums in a funeral pace, with slow vocals and little instrumentation at all. The ending is more uplifting and features some of the most melodic playing on the entire album.

Continuing the faster tempo is the next track, even though lyrically, Telefony is probably the most heart-breaking song on the album. A very depressing post-punk tune, despite the vocals being drenched in the mix. Who Would Leave Their Son Out in the Sun is probably about Jesus’ crucifixion. It’s very mellow and completely drenched in reverb. The band went for the full cathedral sound here, with the vocals being completely undecipherable. The vocals actually become the main instrument in this 5 minute drone that gets distorted through the lo-fi mix. The tinny acoustic guitar in the background is eerily out of place against the backdrop of drowned vocals. A haunting tune, definitely. Closing off the first disc is another instrumental, titled There is No Food. Supposedly about starving to death on a post-apocalyptic world, the song features mechanical beeps, as well as lots of volume swells in guitars. It’s not completely instrumental, because you can actually hear some faint voices in the background, though it’s completely not audible what they’re saying.

The second disc titled The Future is much less restrained than the first one, and you can hear that immediately on the first track. After 2 minutes of brooding guitar feedback, Waiting For Black Metal Records to Come in the Mail starts off with an actual riff an some audible singing for the first time in over half an hour. This song is actually similar to black metal in the sense that it has heavily distorted guitars, lo-fi production and processed drums. The track even contains some faint, distant screams in the last minute or so. Up next is my favourite from the album, called Holy Fucking Shit: 40.000. I don’t know what it is about this track that makes it so great, but the creativity of actually using a metronome as an instrument on this track is very original. The acoustic guitar is also a welcome change of things, as well as a verse/chorus-structure that you can follow. The middle part is actually the part I enjoy most of the entire song. The song gets completely drowned in distortion, with thanks to its lo-fi-ness and as a listener you get immersed completely into the sound of pounding drums. Up next is The Future, a track that’s based mostly on electronic drones with various sound effects. It’s the shortest track on the entire record and the only one on disc 2 that’s instrumental, though it does not feel out of place at all.

Deep, Deep is probably the heaviest track on the entire record, even though the guitars aren’t necessarily more distorted in this track than they were in disc 2’s first track. The most driving track on the record starts out in multiple ways, but the almost shouty singing and actually catchy chorus melodies are but one aspect. If I hadn’t limited myself to four tracks recommended down below, I would surely have added this one. The previous track being so heavy actually makes I Don’t Love stand out as the most demure track of the second disc. Starting out as clean singing, the song soon bursts into the most all-encompassing drone we have yet heard on the album. Drowned In guitar feedback, the slightly distorted vocals sound almost like an elegy or lament. The bass melody that’s the most apparent within the massive feedback is the thing that gives the song momentum and keeps it together.

The final track, Earthmover, is often named as the best track on the album. The lyrics to this track speak about stone golems, created by humans to destroy landscapes and devour the earth. These machines can not be killed, and through their destruction they realise how futile life is. Obviously symbolic for something, this song’s power does not merely come from the lyrics, but also from its massive sound all the way through. The words the golems would say when they could speak are “We wish we were dead.” This sentence, ironically, concludes the album lyrically, but the song won’t be finished for another 5 minutes. Through a very lengthy shoegazing/drone part, the band reaches the climax of this song and of the entire record. A powerful song, and one of the very best on this album.

As with so many albums in this list, mere words can’t really do an album enough justice. I have no idea how futile it has been to write down all of this, but I hope I will inspire at least some people to actually listen to this record. While it’s nice to write and read about music, it’s predominantly there to be listened to and this album really demands to be listened. It’s an album that needs to be experienced, preferably in full, for it’s amazing. Have a nice life, and enjoy this one. Ironic as that may sound with regards to its subject matter.

Favourite song: Holy Fucking Shit: 40.000
Other songs worth checking out: Earthmover, The Big Gloom, Hunter
Other stuff by this band: After years of silence, the band released a second album after this one in 2014, but it’s not nearly as good as ‘Deathconsciousness’ (in my opinion of course), but I must admit that I haven’t heard it as much.
Squ

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #548 on: April 24, 2016, 03:40:34 AM »
‘Deathconsciousness’ is best described as an album that mixes shoegazing with ambient, post-punk, adds industrial traits and drones and is overall mixed in relatively lo-fi standards.

Favourite song: Holy Fucking Shit: 40.000

I'll pass. :lol
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #549 on: April 24, 2016, 03:46:29 AM »
Hell yeah, been looking to expand the 'shoegazing' corner of my music library :lol

I've seen this album being tossed around a lot on this forum so I guess I will check it out after I'm done with all the roulette albums. (Vim and Vigor is great btw :tup)
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #550 on: April 24, 2016, 03:52:09 AM »
Amazing album that would be pretty high on my list too! :)

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #551 on: April 24, 2016, 03:54:45 AM »
Someone here recommended it to me before but I never checked it out :\ but it really sound like something I would like, so added to my list (it's getting bigger and bigger).
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #552 on: April 24, 2016, 05:00:46 AM »
 :corn

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #553 on: April 24, 2016, 07:00:22 AM »
Earthmover, YES.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #554 on: April 24, 2016, 09:54:50 AM »
if this had a CD release at all maybe i'd have dug into it deeper when i checked it out but even with the two full listens i gave it i remember just finding it okay anyways so

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #555 on: April 24, 2016, 09:58:39 AM »
if this had a CD release at all maybe i'd have dug into it deeper when i checked it out but even with the two full listens i gave it i remember just finding it okay anyways so

I have it on vinyl and it is glorious. It's a hard album to get into, but definitely worth the time you put into it. I'd say their second album is easier to get into and might get you hooked (or interested in giving DC more listens). Like Elite said, it's not AS good, but IMO still a 8/10 or so, with DC being a 10.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #556 on: April 24, 2016, 12:11:10 PM »
Fantastic record  :hefdaddy

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #557 on: April 24, 2016, 12:18:00 PM »
btw nice cloudkicker avatar zantera.

just s a y i n g

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #558 on: April 24, 2016, 04:58:27 PM »
btw nice cloudkicker avatar zantera.

just s a y i n g

I love the artwork of it, and it's probably my favorite Cloudkicker release too, so that's a plus  :tup

Offline LordCost

« Reply #559 on: April 24, 2016, 05:43:30 PM »
I perfectly agree on your suggested songs from California!
The least uninspired track for me is The Holy Filament, the rest is incredibly brilliant and flawless.
I don't know album number 5..