Author Topic: Elite's top 50 albums v. - 3 Years Older: #1: love is the dance of eternity  (Read 47308 times)

Offline jakepriest

I prefer both The Whirlwind and Kaleidoscope to Bridges. But it's still a fantastic album.  :tup

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

I quite like this one, and I'm not so sure how much that tired "prog wank" criticism applies here, but I'd venture to say very little. Duel With the Devil and Stranger in Your Soul are both riddled with so many great moments, it'd be hard to pick only a few.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Good to see some people agreeing on this pick (even though it surprises me that this album gets few responses, compared to some albums in here tht I thought would get none).
Duel With the Devil and Stranger in Your Soul are both riddled with so many great moments, it'd be hard to pick only a few.

Indeed, it was pretty difficult to do a cohesive write-up, without overselling the record :lol

---

#12 is a classic and it's well-known. It will be up shortly.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
12. Pink Floyd – Dark Side of the Moon (1973)

Maybe you can spot the recurring trend in this list. Whenever a classic album pops up, my write-ups tend to be significantly shorter. This is due to a couple of reasons, but most notably because I believe that whenever an album is a ‘classic’ I should not have to defend its placement in my top 50 and because a lot has been said about the album already, so the amount of stuff I can add isn’t substantial at all. This is exactly the case with Pink Floyd’s masterpiece, ‘The Dark Side of the Moon’. Probably the most undisputed classic I have in my list, for reasons everybody who has heard it will likely know.

‘The Dark Side of the Moon’ is a concept album, but not in the way that the lyrics tell a story or anything. Lyrically, there’s some overlap, as the album is held together mostly by its continuous music and conceptual, philosophical lyrics. All the tracks flow directly into each other, with the exception for the two tracks in the middle of the record. This is obviously because on a vinyl LP the maximum amount of time was reached halfway through the album. The album contains three songs that are significantly longer than the others. These would be Time, Money and Us And Them.

It’s easy to see these aforementioned tracks as the ‘centerpieces’ of the album, but that would be a misconception. In fact, the whole album flows really well, in such a way that it would be hard to pinpoint exactly where the most interesting stuff on the album happens. That said, a highlight for me would be David Gilmour’s fantastic guitar solo in Time, Clare Torry’s amazing singing in The Great Gig in the Sky and the whole ending of the album. The complete sequence of three songs, starting at Any Colour You Like through to the last moments of the album is probably my favourite part of this flawless record.

Boring write-up? Yeah, I thought so. Feel free to disagree with me on this particular choice of album. I could have written a similar thing on any of their big four records, but to me this one remains their magnum opus. This being one of the best-selling albums ever made is at least some sort of testament to its legacy. It’s seriously that good.

Favourite song: Any Colour You Like/Brain Damage/Eclipse
Other songs worth checking out: Time, Money, Us and Them
Other stuff by this band: The four albums from their classic period are all golden. I’m talking about this one, ‘The Wall’, ‘Wish You Were Here’ and ‘Animals’. On top of those, I’m a big fan of ‘Meddle’ and ‘The Division Bell’ as well. For any newcomer to Pink Floyd, I’d say the live-CD ‘Pulse’ is a great start, with the only downside to it that Roger Waters doesn’t play on this one
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 05:37:12 AM by Elite »
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Tomislav95

Overrated. WYWH is much better (I'm 100% objective, right :P)
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Animals > WYWH
Squ

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
Good album, but definitely my least favorite out of the big 4. I'd rank them The Wall > Animals > Wish You Were Here > Dark Side. It's a good classic album though.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
WYWH > everything.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
Bridge Across Forever is my favorite Transatlantic record.

Dark Side falls behind WYWH, Animals and maybe The Wall but it's still a classic and rightfully so.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Why is nobody supportive of DSOTM? :lol
Squ

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member

I may be completely wrong, but my understanding looking at it from my perspective, DSOtM, while regarded as one of the most classics ever is generally more the favorite among people who might not be hardcore PF fans, and the people who really like the band (or listen to them a bit more) hold one of the others as the best.

Again, just my observation. But the friends I know who listen to PF have either WYWH, The Wall or Animals (or even Meddle) as their nr1, whereas I hear a lot of people who might not necessarily listen to the band talk about DSotM.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
I know, it was partly in jest to say that. I also realise that DSOTM is generally more liked by non-PF fans than most (if not all) ther other records. That doesn't stop me from enjoying it a lot though.

Most PF fans I know prefer either The Wall or WYWH as well, so that's definitely not an anomaly. If I had to name my three favourite PF albums they would be DSOTM, Animals and Meddle. While I really like The Wall and WYWH a lot, I could never really get into either of them as much as into DSOTM. That's not to say I don't like them. Hell, I wrote my bachelor thesis on The Wall :lol
Squ

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
If I had to name my three favourite PF albums they would be DSOTM, Animals and Meddle.

WYWH, The Wall and The Division Bell for me. But I really like all six of these.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
I prefer both The Whirlwind and Kaleidoscope to Bridges. But it's still a fantastic album.  :tup

Please, stop smoking crack.  Kaleidoscope is by far the weakest Transatlantic album.

Offline jakepriest

Please, stop smoking crack.  Kaleidoscope is by far the weakest Transatlantic album.

I smoke only weed and I ain't planning on stopping anytime soon.  :hat  :chill

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
I am! Virtually flawless album - only song I'm not as fond of as the rest is Brain Damage, but it's still an excellent track. Us and Them is my favourite here; experiencing it live was mesmerising to say the least.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
i prefer both WYWH and Animals, but this is still a good album

Offline 425

I'll agree with DSOTM, Elite! The Wall and Wish You Were Here are really good albums, but neither is consistently as enjoyable to just sit down and listen to as DSOTM. I'm not crazy about Money, to be honest, but side 2 after Money is a spectacular ~17 minutes of music.

That would be the debut, actually. Every song on Kaleidoscope is better than Mystery Train, and both epics are better than My New World. Half the time I just listen to All of the Above and We All Need Some Light and call it quits, while Kaleidoscope starts strong, ends stronger and has the great Black as the Sky in the middle.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Good, I was hoping to get some credibility before posting #11 later tonight :lol
Squ

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
Dark side of the moon is fantastic, I also prefer it over WYWH and Animals. The Piper at the gates of dawn is in a completely different league though, that's just the best.
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Here's an album that might receive some backlash, either that or people don't know it. This is also the longest write-up in the entire top 50, so bear with me (do you guys actually read this stuff?). Without many more words, I present you the final album before the top 10.

---

11. maudlin of the Well – Bath (2001)

This is a classic in the avant-garde metal genre. That sentence alone is probably more than enough to scare off some people, but that really shouldn’t have to be the case. Still, I’m 100% convinced that this album was not meant to appeal to everyone. I also think that motW mastermind Toby Driver does not care in the slightest. He just creates music as he sees fit, as both the outputs from motW and his other band Kayo Dot show. (By the way, Kayo Dot will not be featured in this list, because while I think ‘Choirs of the Eye’ is a really good record of theirs, I’m not too confident about liking it as of now. It might slip in at a later iteration).

maudlin of the Well is (or was?) an avant-garde metal band and all they have released a total of 4 albums. Of those, the most well-known are ‘Bath’ and ‘Leaving Your Body Map’, both released in 2001 and both quite similar in style, although the latter is probably less heavy and less insane. That said, ‘Bath’ really isn’t really the insane heavy album this write-up might make it seem. In fact, there’s only a couple of moments on this album where stuff really gets heavy. They happen to be some of the best moments as well. A lot of this album is really atmospheric and strangely atmospheric in a very weird way, for the lyrics sung are often slightly out-of-tune and they’re down-right messed-up as well. “I am the swan’s wings, bloodied at the joint. And pasted to a boy’s back, like in those stories”. Imagine that being sung in a hyptonising voice against a backdrop of soft acoustic guitar playing. In the same song, things take a turn when the drummer starts playing blast-beats and the guitarist plays these very fast arpeggios. No growling or anything in the entire track, just pure madness. “Slowly insert the dagger again.” (This was Heaven and Weak by the way).

The album comprises a total of 10 tracks, of which two are short instrumental interludes (which are conveniently named Interlude 1 and Interlude 2 as well). Among the remainder of the tracks are two shorter ballad-like songs; Marid’s Gift of Art, which is nice and Geography, a great closer to the album). Then there’s the instrumental album opener The Blue Ghost / Shedding Qliphoth, which is stylistically similar to the interlude tracks. What’s left is the five long weird avant-garde tracks. I’ve already said a little about Heaven and Weak, but the general trend of what I wrote there applies to the others as well. They Aren’t All Beautiful is practically the song that opens the album, because even though the first track is almost 8 minutes long, it feels almost redundant to have had that nice soothing atmosphere; the moment They Aren’t All beautiful kicks in, you’re supposed to be floored. It’s easily the heaviest track on the album and frankly, also my favourite. Featuring a bunch of riffs after each other, an abundance of harsh vocals, blast-beats and very fast guitar playing, it’s pretty amazing. It also wouldn’t be avant-garde without random stuff happening, so there’s a weird breakdown in the middle featuring trombone and tuba; why the hell not?

The Ferryman is the third long song on the album and it might well be even weirder than that song about pasting swan wings to the backs of boys. Seriously, it opens with a church organ, then stops, then there’s song random hitting on cymbals, the song then kicks in with harsh vocals and heavy guitars, the church organ makes a return in a chorus where there’s suddenly a woman singing as well (where did she come from?), then it slows down and ends in what sounds like tormented people suffocating and people dropping bricks in water. This all flows into Marid’s Gift of Art, the first ballad of two on the album. Again, featuring some of the weirdest lyrics I have ever read. But you seriously believe him when he says “I could make everyone so happy, beautiful like you.” It’s an oasis of silence and rest before the next songs kicks in. This one probably has the most standard structure out of all the songs on the album and features some nice trumpet and acoustic guitar.

Girl With a Watering Can is up next and opens with a clarinet playing the intro melody from the album’s first track, before the rest of the band kicks in. Another highlight of the album really, this one isn’t any less weird than the other longer tracks. Featuring a heavy dose of that woman singing again, the song takes off only about half-way through. I think it’s actually the least heavy song of the five big ones. It’s certainly the slowest, but it’s also by far the most beautiful. (They aren’t all, but this one is). There’s a short part at the end that’s kind-of disjointed from the rest of the song that’s slightly heavier, but overall this one has nothing on the beast the follows. Birth Pains of Astral Projection gets the prize for being the most fucked-up song on the record. It has a very long build-up and gets quite heavy in the end, with weird growls over clean parts in the instruments somewhere in the middle and again, very weird lyrics all the way through. There’s honestly a lot more to say about this track too, but I feel like I’m writing too much already.

Right, last track then. Geography is a great highlight at the end of the album. The circle is complete as the album goes back into soothing, relaxing territory with this ballad song. Again though, what’s up with those weird lyrics? “Breath is real, anger’s real. Sleep on your birthday and cry. Cry, my baby. Let me wash you, I have no ears for my lady.” You could probably write a whole write-up just about how silly all lyrics on the album are. Geography is based on pretty simple melodies and at the ending the song actually takes an unexpected turn, with the electric guitar playing the underlying melody all of a sudden. The chorus lyrics get repeated a couple of time, and despite their weirdness, this might genuinely be the album at its most catchy. Avant-garde is not really my thing, but this album hits all the right spots. And so I end what has become the longest write-up on this list by far.

Favourite song: They Aren’t All Beautiful
Other songs worth checking out: Girl With a Watering Can, The Ferryman, Geography
Other stuff by this band: This album always gets paired with ‘Leaving Your Body Map’, because they were released at the same time. LYBM is very good, but Bath is slightly more distinguished. The band’s two other albums are either inferior (‘My Fruit Psychobells…A Seed Combustible’), or so vastly different (‘Part the Second’), that comparing them is very difficult. I can also recommend the band Kayo Dot, if you like this stuff. It’s fronted by the same guy.
Squ

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
I got leaving your body map but never got too into it, was just alright imo but oh well, I'll probably get this too someday if I can get a physical copy of it

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
You will never find a physical copy of this unless you go on eBay/other second-hand sites. The Bath/LYBM vinyl box I have from Blood Music is probably the rarest vinyl item I own.
Squ

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
MotW!  :tup Bath is a really good album, but I have to say I've always liked Kayo Dot more than Maudlin. As great as Bath is, if I were to pick Toby's 3 best albums, they would all be Kayo Dot albums. But MotW has a really great discography. All their albums are great or better!

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
You will never find a physical copy of this unless you go on eBay/other second-hand sites. The Bath/LYBM vinyl box I have from Blood Music is probably the rarest vinyl item I own.
I got a physical copy of LYBM thru a friend in Australia and I'm just going to hold out until I get that insanely lucky again

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
I like this album, but it's probably too "out there" or just plain chaotic for me. But The Ferryman is fantastic, so I'll revisit this album every once in a while as my tastes get weirder and weirder  :tup

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: Elite's top 50 albums v. - 3 Years Older: #10: it seems just appropriate
« Reply #481 on: April 20, 2016, 11:47:48 PM »
Posting this early, because I'm out all day.

---

10. Obsidian Kingdom – Mantiis (An Agony in Fourteen Bites) (2014)

Honestly, this might very well be the most twisted, messed-up and fucked-up album on the entire list. Musically, it’s not that difficult or ‘avant-garde’ so to speak, but the subject matter of the lyrics and the overall brutality and relentlessness of this album makes it so. Please, to not be turned off by these first two lines, because obviously this is not some sort of ear-raping album, as I do not like that stuff myself either. If you look through the harshness, the music is actually very beautiful and subtle – the entire album a (rather sick) work of art in itself. The ‘Mantiis’ splatter-vinyl I own is among my most prized music-related possessions, because it’s a complete beauty with all the additional art-work.

I like to think that Obsidian Kingdom, hailing from Barcelona, Spain,  took inspiration from all sorts of avant-garde artists, but mixed that with some of the more extreme sub-genres of metal to create cohesive, yet very bleak music. I’m saying this, because this is probably the darkest album on my list. Relying heavily on dark timbres all around (in voice, guitar sounds, keyboard noises, even the trumpets in Last of the Light), the music on this album can definitely be called dismal or gloomy. The singer isn’t exactly the most skilled singer in the history of music, but he gets the job done, alternatively singing in clean voice and in his black-metal-ish screams. This is true for all other instruments on the album as well, really. Nothing they do is highly technical at all, but it works very well in the context of the music.

With lyrics in both English and Spanish (though only in Awake Until Dawn), ‘Mantiis’ is an album that tells a story, although the lyrics do not make clear exactly what happens. What I do know though, and what the band practically confirmed when I saw them live, is that the lyrics are rather insane. “We’re Obsidian Kingdom from Barcelona, and we sing songs about really fucked-up stuff.” From what I gather from the lyrics, they tell a story of abduction, rape, murder and necrophilia. Take into account the song-title from the album opener, Not Yet Five, and it becomes even more screwed up when you realise the subject matter is actually a child. I do not think the band does this simply to shock; that would be way too boring. I think it is an artistic statement, that even though the subject matter is quite brutal, the lyrics do not really portray it as such – and the underlying music is actually quite beautiful here and there, and then devastating the next moment.

Not all songs on this album have lyrics. In fact, of the album’s fourteen tracks (see where the title came from?), four are instrumental. I do not see this album as fourteen separate tracks though. Every tracks segues into the next and as such the whole album is to me a single piece of music. Musically what these guys do is actually not all that avant-garde; they build up their music and then become super heavy and then go back to a softer part, although they do use other influences here and there as well. A good example of this is the combination of the album’s first four tracks. Not Yet Five is an instrumental based on a rather simple guitar melody, but in the background you hear brooding noises, as if there’s an storm upcoming. Oncoming Dark follows, and the melody gets a context – the very first song on the album is actually quite relaxing with clean singing and a defined structure. It gets heavier at the end of the song, segueing into Through the Glass, an instrumental barrage of heavy guitars. Cinnamon Balls is the first moment the band truly erupts, and at the start of the song you hear Rider G Omega’s black-metal voice; definitely a characteristic of their heavier side. Through these album’s first 10-minutes the listener is already exposed to various aspects of their music and everything gradually builds up. This build-up is a characteristic of the entire album really, as the most messed-up moment musically happens in the album’s final track And Then It Was, arguably the heaviest track on the album that finishes where the album started. The weird noises from the intro track are back, but with ferocious guitars supporting them. The lyrics leave not a lot to the imagination; our protagonist has clearly been killed.

I definitely do not want to discuss every song on this album in detail, because I think this is an album that needs to be experienced in full by listening to it. I was initially wary of the descriptor of ‘extreme metal’ for this album, but looking back I think this is not the right way to describe this album. In fact, the moments where the band really gets ‘extreme’ are relatively heavy, but they do not come out of nowhere. This whole album is structured so well, that every build-up and every song leads to something. The transition from clean singing to full-blown black-metal is very natural everywhere. With regards to the subject matter, dare I say that this is even a beautiful, albeit haunting album. This album had a great impact on me – I think that’s the best way to describe why it’s this high up in my top 50.

Then to close off, I think this last statement, taken from the band’s bandcamp page sums up the album rather well: Taking part in the long-lived tradition of rock operas, ‘Mantiis’ embarks the listener in an eerie musical trip, noted for the coherent exploration of a wide range of styles and emotions. The band spares no sound resources in order to portray the most varied scenes; from quiet despair to utter violence.

Favourite song: Last of the Light
Other songs worth checking out: Cinnamon Balls, And Then it Was, Oncoming Dark
Other stuff by this band: Although I can definitely recommend this band’s second album ‘A Year With No Summer’, it’s definitely a different record. It’s less heavy (and thus less fucked-up), but more experimental. It almost sounds like a different band playing and that makes it hard to compare the two. Still a damn good record, but I prefer ‘Mantiis’ for its insane over-the-topness.
Squ

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #482 on: April 21, 2016, 12:44:19 AM »
yeah i don't think i'm quite as into this one as you but it's still great
i was pretty disappointed by a year with no summer though  :-[

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #483 on: April 21, 2016, 12:46:06 AM »
MotW!  :tup Bath is a really good album, but I have to say I've always liked Kayo Dot more than Maudlin. As great as Bath is, if I were to pick Toby's 3 best albums, they would all be Kayo Dot albums. But MotW has a really great discography. All their albums are great or better!

I haven't listened to Kayo Dot enough to make a correct judgement, although I like what I hear. I own 'Choirs of the Ete' and I've heard it a couple of time. Same thing goes for the albums they have on Spotify. I want to hear their stuff more often, but they're not exactly a band you can listen to at any time.

yeah i don't think i'm quite as into this one as you but it's still great
i was pretty disappointed by a year with no summer though  :-[

Really? I think AYWNS was a pretty sweet release, even though it's very different from Mantiis. If you don't compare it to Mantiis directly,maybe you can appreciate it more. It's got the same dark, melancholic vibe/mood, but through more atmospheric music, rather than extreme metal.
Squ

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #484 on: April 21, 2016, 12:51:50 AM »
I actually got into Obsidian Kingdom this year through their new album. Both of their albums are really great, Mantiis might be slightly better. It's a really good album.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #485 on: April 21, 2016, 01:03:54 AM »
i dunno, i find the songs all too drawn out and directionless, and i don't like the vocals on the album much either. i legitimately have no clue what they were going for on the album. it's like, post-metal-ish but only kinda? i really don't know. it's been a frustrating album tbh.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #486 on: April 21, 2016, 03:21:25 AM »
I listened to this album a couple of times last year, but I probably should have given it some more time.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #487 on: April 21, 2016, 03:34:01 AM »
I have to check out both maudlin of the well and Obsidian Kingdom. I see them quite often here but never ever heard their one song.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #488 on: April 21, 2016, 03:39:25 AM »
Both bands have more than one song :neverusethis:
Squ

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #489 on: April 21, 2016, 03:51:29 AM »
Both bands have more than one song :neverusethis:
And I didn't hear any of them :P (I meant a song, not their only song)