Author Topic: Elite's top 50 albums v. - 3 Years Older: #1: love is the dance of eternity  (Read 47112 times)

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
Colors is amazing.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Since I'm on the waiting list I don't want to give too much away.  :biggrin:

I see. Your list should be good too, I'll follow when the time comes.

Number 18 will be up soon, a record released not long ago.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: Elite's top 50 albums v. - 3 Years Older: #18: we open up to see hell
« Reply #387 on: April 17, 2016, 04:22:57 AM »
18. Agent Fresco – Destrier (2015)

An album by this band should have been expected at this point. They are one of my favourite discoveries of the last couple of years and I have made it a habit to pimp this band in any and every roulette am I in. I have sent my favourite track See Hell a bunch of times, and before the full album came out, I resorted to the album’s first single Dark Water. Before that, I would send their debut album’s title-track. Even though ‘Destrier’ is only this Icelandic band’s second album, they are certainly going places, having played not only numerous metal and prog festivals, but also being among the country’s best selling artists. As far as I’m concerned, that’s well-deserved.

Agent Fresco’s music is very hard to categorise. They are not the band you would expect at metal festivals like ProgPower Europe and Euroblast, yet they were there regardless and at ProgPower Europe 2015 they blew everyone away. Basically, the only thing that’s metal about this band is the awesome rhythmic changes they do, the fact that the guitarist uses distortion to some extent (which of course isn’t exclusive to metal) and the singer screams (or rather; shouts very loudly) occasionally. Considering the fact that this album’s conception came from an incident the singer had after being beaten up and feeling angry for a long time, it’s surprising that the amount of songs he screams in on this album is far less that on their debut, namely just one.

As said before, it’s hard to classify this band, but I’ve seen them labeled as ‘progressive indie rock’, a description that seems fitting. A song like Angst though, would be far too heavy for that description. Being the aforementioned only track singer Arnor Dan screams on, it’s almost like the climax of the album. Built on an anti-rhythmic breakdown, the song explodes into an all-enclosing wall of sound around halfway. It’s by far the shortest song on the album, but considering its explosiveness in an otherwise quite peaceful record, it surely has its impact.

So what does this band sound like? They are mostly guitar driven, but use piano and synthesisers occasionally. Most of the interesting stuff they do have either got to with weird sounds (as in the breakdown-part in title-track Destrier, among the most interesting parts on the album sonically), or with weird rhythmic changes (the ending to The Autumn Red). The band experiments a lot with different styles and sounds and is not afraid to try anything new, even stuff that wouldn’t usually have its places in the music they write. That said, there is probably no other band that sounds like Agent Fresco, so in that sense they truly have a unique style they exploit on this record, even more so than on their debut-album. What makes this band sound the way they do, is probably mostly due to the singer’s voice. I can imagine that his voice might turn you off, but I believe it actually it’s the music very well and is a great addition to the amazing underlying stuff the rest of the band does.

The three singles the band released prior to the release of this record, Dark Water, See Hell & Wait for Me (and later, Howls) are actually a very good show-case of the stuff this band does. This record has everything, from very heavy (Angst), to very atmospheric (Bemoan, Death Rattle) to everything in between. I suggest you try out the aforementioned singles and decide whether this is for you. It’s an enjoyable ride and without a doubt my favourite record from 2015.

Favourite song: See Hell
Other songs worth checking out: Angst, The Autumn Red, Wait For Me
Other stuff by this band: So far, Agent Fresco have only released two albums. Their first one, titled ‘A Long Time Listening’ is almost as good as this one and contains some tunes that are easily better than the weaker tunes on ‘Destrier’. It’s slightly heavier and contains more screams, but if you like this one, their first should be right up your alley as well.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 04:35:03 AM by Elite »
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #388 on: April 17, 2016, 04:32:47 AM »
That sounds cool, I'll have to check it out sometime.

Offline Onno

« Reply #389 on: April 17, 2016, 04:36:38 AM »
Man, I love this album. You once recommended their first album to me, and although I really really liked it, somehow I didn't become a big fan of the band back then. But once you mentioned that Destrier had come out I listened to it on Spotify and wow.... what an amazing album. Great pick. The music is so uncatorisable, like you said. I'd recommend this album to everyone as well.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #390 on: April 17, 2016, 07:36:50 AM »
With you sending out See Hell in almost every roulette, I've got to check it out.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #391 on: April 17, 2016, 07:45:38 AM »
To comment on Colors, I tried really hard to get into it, but I just can't stand the vocalist. Instrumentals are pretty amazing though.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #392 on: April 17, 2016, 10:00:09 AM »
see hell is pretty good and i listened to the rest of the album but it didn't do much for me, might check it out again at some point tho

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #393 on: April 17, 2016, 10:59:02 AM »
I am listening to Destrier for the first time right now, it's really good so far  :angel:
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #394 on: April 17, 2016, 12:20:49 PM »
Good :)
Squ

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
In hindisght, I would have maybe placed this album a little higher. This is amazing stuff.

---

17. Pain of Salvation – Remedy Lane (2002)

Having to choose between all the Pain of Salvation albums was, admittedly, rather difficult. On my first list I had ‘BE’ (at #42), ‘The Perfect Element’ (at #29) and ‘One Hour by the Concrete Lake’ (at #10) and while I do not regret those choice at all, I think nowadays I can truly state that neither of those three is my favourite Pain of Salvation album, but ‘Remedy Lane’ is. I probably didn’t really get ‘Remedy Lane’ back then, which is why it missed my list. On the band then; Pain of Salvation (or at least, their ‘classic line-up’ are among my favourite bands. They are the artist with the most plays on my last.fm account and I either like or love all of their albums. In fact, the only album of theirs I’m slightly indifferent to is ‘Scarsick’, all the rest ranges from great (both ‘Road Salt One’ and ‘Road Salt Two’) to excellent (all the rest).

‘Remedy Lane’ is pretty much a flawless album, as are all the rest of the albums coming up basically. Pain of Salvation are a progressive metal band, drawing influence from the big bands, but they have this weird thing about them that makes them sound unique. What makes Pain of Salvation such a good band, is the way they show emotion in all of their songs. There’s something about the way they play and sing, that makes you really believe what’s happening in the story-line. I realise their sound might come across a little too extreme at some point, especially Daniel Gildenlöw’s singing could probably turn people off. Not me though, I legitimately love their every sound on this record.

Most of the tracks on this album are guitar-driven and you can really see that the band writes music that should sound good, not necessarily fitting into a previously constructed form. As a result, the song structures on this record (and on all their records) aren’t that standard. Furthermore, the riffs they play don’t necessarily have to fit in common meters either. A great example is the main riff to Fandango, which is quite wacky. The band also experiments a lot with rhythmic changes, as can be heard on Rope Ends or Beyond the Pale. The band actually released an expanded edition of this album, which I have on vinyl and that one includes the original track-list and the bonus-track Thorn Clown. I really do not understand why this track was not released on the album at all, because as far as I’m concerned, it’s one of the best tracks to be found on the record.

Although the album is predominantly heavy, the band has a great underrated soft and emotional side too. Songs like Undertow, This Heart of Mine and even Second Love are heart-wrenching as ballads, even though they’re not your standard tear-jerking. Relating to the band’s lyrics is also very easy – I really believe Gildenlöw to be a great lyricist. You can actually hear his feeling of loss and guilt in A Trace of Blood, a true story about a miscarriage his wife once had. Perhaps the best known song from this album is Chain Sling, a live staple for this band and the only track on which Gildenlöw shares lead vocal duties with now-ex-member Johan Hallgren.

I think the best introduction to this album would be to just fire it up from the start and listen to it all the way through, with or without the fantastic bonus track. While I ultimately chose this album as my favourite Pain of Salvation album, there’s honestly barely any difference in quality between their records. The consistency with which Gildenlöw writes music and the band plays it is almost unheard of in this entire top 50. Check this one out; Gildenlöw is one of my favourite vocalist, the song-writing is superb and the overall album is nothing short of amazing. It was nice seeing the entire album played live once.

Favourite song: Rope Ends
Other songs worth checking out: Thorn Clown, Chain Sling, A Trace of Blood
Other stuff by this band: I’m a huge fan of Pain of Salvation and choosing one album over the others was living hell. On my previous top 50 list I had ‘One Hour By the Concrete Lake’ as my favourite, followed by ‘The Perfect Element’ and ‘BE’, but ‘Entropia’ is fantastic as well. Their latest three releases are probably my least favourite ones, but both ‘Road Salt One’ and ‘Road Salt Two’ contain great tracks. A great start for anyone new to Pain of Salvation would be the live DVD ‘On the Two Deaths of Pain of Salvation’.
Squ

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
TPE is sliiiightly better than Remedy Lane, but TPE is also still probably my favorite album, ever, so i'm going to be mad at you for putting this too low  :tup

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
Yes!!! Awesome album, awesome band, and another discovery that I have to thank you for. :P If pressed, this would probably would be my favourite of their albums too, though Entropia and TPE are tough competition.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Incredible album, though my favourite tracks are quite different from yours. I think my favourite is Beyond the Pale, followed by Second Love, followed by either Ending Theme or Trace of Blood.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline senecadawg2

Sooooooo good. I didn't realize how much I loved this album until I got to hear it live and it completely blew me away. While I like Perfect Element and Entropia quite a bit, this is definitely my favorite PoS album, as well.

I only just recently got the LP and I was surprised by how much I liked Thorn Clown, as you mentioned. My only surprise is that Beyond the Pale isn't in your top 4 tracks.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
*multiple popcorn quote*

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
Also good call on recommending On the Two Deaths of Pain of Salvation, that's a great live DVD (even though the setlist is slightly too Scarsick-heavy, and not even with the good Scarsick songs imho).

Offline Tomislav95

I had it on #17, too :tup It is album that deserves :heart from me.

Anyone else love their version of Hallelujah on that live album? It used (nuggets) to be my favorite version of the song, now I like Cohen's original more.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
Hallelujah is ridiculously amazing, definitely one of my favourite covers.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
My only surprise is that Beyond the Pale isn't in your top 4 tracks.

hmm, that would probably come fifth. I like it slightly less than the other epics, because it's a little less cohesive and the riffs and vocal melodies aren't as awesome as the ones in the songs I mentioned. But seriously, every track on this record is amazing. Undertow is good too, This Heart of Mine has a great solo section and Second Love is a great ballad, Ending Theme is a very good album opener. Even Fandango and Waking Every God, probably the most overlooked tracks are great in their own right.

Also good call on recommending On the Two Deaths of Pain of Salvation, that's a great live DVD (even though the setlist is slightly too Scarsick-heavy, and not even with the good Scarsick songs imho).

It really shows the band at their peak I think, even though they play too much Scarsick material. The DVD is a great way to view their awesome stag-performance. Watched it a lot of times.
Squ

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop

Oh yes! That one is indeed awesome
Squ

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
Remedy Lane is a great album but PoS has done better IMO. I'd put BE, TPE and Entropia over it without hesitation.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Fucking incredible album right there.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline senecadawg2

Oh yes! That one is indeed awesome

I hadn't seen this DVD and so just checked out the version of Hallelujah. Wow.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Remedy Lane is a great album but PoS has done better IMO. I'd put BE, TPE and Entropia over it without hesitation.

Oh, yes, 'BE' has my favourite PoS song (Iter Impius), but also contains quite some filler as far as I'm concerned. TPE contains tons of great ones. Entropia is also a great album. I think that every Pain of Salvation fan has their own reasons for having a favourite. Like I said in my write-up; on my first list I had OHBTCL as the highest, but nowadays Remedy Lane speaks to me more.

---

#16 will be up after I've had a shower. It's another one of those classic albums.
Squ

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: Elite's top 50 albums v. - 3 Years Older: #16: starless and bible black
« Reply #410 on: April 18, 2016, 02:45:01 AM »
16. King Crimson – Red (1974)

Here’s a bold statement: Starless is the best song ever written. I’m not entirely sure whether or not I agree with this myself, because while qualifying albums is difficult enough as it is (this list didn’t just magically come to life), the difference between my favourite songs is even less apparent. That said, this particular track would be up there and it’s hand-down, without any doubt my favourite song from King Crimson and likely my favourite song released in the seventies. Giving boundaries to claims, I like that.

On to this album. Another one of those classic records, one that has had its praise throughout history and an album that shouldn’t really need much introduction among progressive rock or metal fans. What King Crimson does on this album can very much be classified as proto-progressive-metal. Had King Crimson existed in a later day and age, they would be heavy. Every single track on this has its own stylistic differences, even though there are only five.

Naturally, merely containing Starless would not be sufficient to warrant this album a spot on my list. The other tracks are all magnificent in their own right. Album opener and title-track Red is an exercise in odd time-signatures and an instrumental many a contemporary progressive metal band could be jealous of. Next up is Fallen Angel, arguably the most laid-back track on the album (not counting the first five minutes of Starless). Great vocal lines against a backdrop of great instrumentalism, with nice saxophone melodies to boot. One More Red Nightmare is pretty much a proto hard-rock song, with instrumental passages in odd time-signatures. Providence then is an instrumental improvisation recorded at a live-shows. It’s the most oddball track on this record and is easily my least favourite, due to lack of cohesion. It’s weird and in some way unsettling, but it’s a good track nonetheless.

On to my favourite. Starless is a composition in three parts. The first part contains lyrics and is tonal all the way through. After about 4.5 minutes, everything disappears, with only a bass-line sounding after that. Over the course of the next minutes, the band gradually expands on this bass-line, building up to one of the most amazing climaxes I have ever heard, including that saxophone, again! Like on Providence, it sounds like the band is jamming, but this is in fact a very well composed track. The vocal lines return in the saxophone melody, as everything comes crashing down in the last minute, reaching an amazing finale. Wow.

I must admit that I do not revisit ‘Red’ very often, nor do I listen to King Crimson on a regular basis. In fact, there’s a bunch of their material that I have not even heard yet. From what I’ve seen though, ‘Red’ usually gets listed among their greatest albums and it’s not difficult to see why. This album has got it all and you can see how this album must have influenced a whole generation of progressive musicians. The progressive (jazz-)rock & proto-metal this trio delivered will surely be remembered as a highlight of its respective style.

Favourite song: Starless
Other songs worth checking out: Red, One More Red Nightmare, Fallen Angel
Other stuff by this band: I love ‘In the Court of the Crimson King’. I’ve heard lots of other stuff by this band, but I’m not too familiar with most of their albums to give a solid opinion on those.

---

And with this record, I'm really at 75% of my list (of you count the 10 albums that preceded the top 50). With just 15 left to go, are there any guesses as to what may or may not come next?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 04:54:00 AM by Elite »
Squ

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #411 on: April 18, 2016, 04:07:02 AM »
Never really gotten into King Crimson apart from enjoying ItCotCK actually. I should spin some of those albums, but I haven't had much interest in 70s prog rock until more recent years. Just got into Yes this year for example.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #412 on: April 18, 2016, 04:17:32 AM »
Red is one sexy album.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #413 on: April 18, 2016, 04:54:47 AM »
I actually really like Providence. Of those live "compositions" they included on their albums, that was my favourite from memory.

Starless is more or less their best song. You have to hear the song Lizard if you haven't though. One of the better prog epics of the 70s. The album itself is pretty bad, but that song is one of the only serious contenders to Starless.

If I had to pick an album of theirs to call a favourite, it'd probably be Islands. I love the atmospheric, sometimes creepy jazziness of Islands. The Letters is another of my very favourite songs of theirs, so dark and fucked up.

I still haven't given anything post-Red a proper chance though.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #414 on: April 18, 2016, 06:25:52 AM »
Awesome, that definitely helps, yes. Oh, I do not think Providence is bad, it's actually a really good improvisation, but it's definitely the weirdest track on here and the one that's stylistically the most different from the others. It's not as weird as album #11 though :neverusethis: speaking of which, have you guys no idea what will come next or is guessing what albums come next a boring game in itself? :p
Squ

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #415 on: April 18, 2016, 07:27:36 AM »
I wanted to dive into King Crimson last sunday, but had a ton of work to do. I believe I own 4 albums (Court, Poseidon, Red and Discipline), and love all four. I desperately need the ones in between those two couples.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #416 on: April 18, 2016, 09:04:22 AM »
Excellent record  :tup

I think you'd like their last album, The Power to Believe, which is quite heavy and metal at times, but also dark and experimental.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #417 on: April 18, 2016, 11:49:44 AM »
Two really great records here. I love love love Pain Of Salvation and Remedy Lane is up there among the best, but maye The Perfect Element is a little bit better. Undertow and Chain Sling are my favorite songs from RL.

Red is a classic, nothing more to say here.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Onno

« Reply #418 on: April 18, 2016, 12:45:06 PM »
Never got into either PoS or KC. Maybe I should try again.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #419 on: April 18, 2016, 01:44:28 PM »
Number 15 is coming online in about an hour. Expect a silly write-up.
Squ