Author Topic: Elite's top 50 albums v. - 3 Years Older: #1: love is the dance of eternity  (Read 47189 times)

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Re: Elite's top 50 albums v. - 3 Years Older: #21: it's never too late
« Reply #350 on: April 15, 2016, 05:12:05 PM »
Probably my second or third favourite Anathema album, fantastic record  :hefdaddy

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #351 on: April 15, 2016, 05:18:15 PM »
My favorite Anathema album as well :tup
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #352 on: April 15, 2016, 05:38:22 PM »
Judgement is my favorite but WHBWH is almost on par, and is easily the best out of their phase 2 albums (WHBWH and forward). Talk about an amazing set of songs with two top 5 Anathema songs in Universal and Thin Air, and then other gems like A Simple Mistake and Hindsight. WHBWH is pretty much as close to perfect as modern Anathema will come IMO. WS was a shadow of what WHBWH was, and DS was a bit different but also like WS, a level below WHBWH.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #353 on: April 15, 2016, 06:33:36 PM »
I've always liked Anathema, this album especially, but never really "loved" them. still a great album tho  :tup

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Thanks.

what? :lol

What? That's how the track and the album ends!  :lol

In other news, I prefer Weather Systems to WHBWH. It's not even close.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #355 on: April 16, 2016, 01:20:12 AM »
This and Weather Systems are probably DTF's most overrated albums. Not bad, their just both sooooooo bland from start to finish that it's almost an accomplishment.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #356 on: April 16, 2016, 01:39:13 AM »
This and Weather Systems are probably DTF's most overrated albums. Not bad, their just both sooooooo bland from start to finish that it's almost an accomplishment.

I'll agree on WS but WHBWH has some of Anathema's best songs

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #357 on: April 16, 2016, 01:50:20 AM »
I tried to get into Anathema through Weather Systems but didn't succeed. Should I try this one instead?
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #358 on: April 16, 2016, 01:53:13 AM »
I prefer this one over Weather Systems from the little spins I gave both, and it wasn't even close. Definitely try this one.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: Elite's top 50 albums v. - 3 Years Older: #20: put your clothes back on
« Reply #359 on: April 16, 2016, 02:41:18 AM »
A little earlier than usual and I'm in a bit of a hurry this morning, so I can't reply to all your comments, but thatnk for reacting and responding to my picks :) here's the album starting off the top 20:

---

20. The Dear Hunter – Act II: The Meaning of, And All Things Regarding Ms. Leading (2007)

The Dear Hunter is a band I discovered thanks to DTF. I have no idea who it was that posted about this band and made me wanted to listen to them, but it certainly was someone from here. The first track I ever heard by them was Red Hands. I can’t recall if that songs was recommended specifically or that it just happened to be the first track on Youtube I could find. Red Hands made me fall in love with this band and their sound immediately. The singer’s voice, but also the way the band using a choir, their guitars and keyboards to create interesting sounds really spoke to me in a way.

Casey Crescenzo’s almost grating voice forms the core of their sound, although a lot of it is also either based on the guitar or keyboard. They have this ‘indie’ sound to them, but with touches of progressiveness, drawing in influences from all sorts of other music genres. Although I wouldn’t classify The Dear Hunter as a hard-rock band, they have their moments of heavier music, as in for instance Dear Ms. Leading and the album opener The Procession. Most of the album consists of very well-written songs, as if the band has put a story to music that moves through various musical styles.

This story is what forms the driving force behind The Dear Hunter. This album isn’t called ‘Act II: …’ for no reason; it’s part of a double trilogy the band’s frontman has yet to finish. After 2009’s ‘Act III: Life and Death’, the band took a break from this concept, only to return triumphantly last year with the fantastic ‘Act IV’. I won’t bother with the details of this story, but the gist of it is that it follows the life of a boy (‘the dear hunter’) who was born to a prostitute. In ‘Act II’ specifically he grows up, looking for his father (whom he finds in ‘Act III’) to get to know how he got to fall in love with a prostitute. The dear hunter ends up falling in love with Ms. Leading, a prostitute as well.

Is this a love record then? Yes, partly, although it’s all fictional. That said, especially the songs The Bitter Suite 1 and 2: Meeting Ms. Leading and Through the Dime and The Bitter Suite 3: Embrace are very ‘sensual’, for lack of a better word and, despite their cheeky lyrics, among the best songs on the record as far as I’m concerned. Clocking in at almost 80 minutes, with 15 tracks this is quite the album to get into. I must admit that it loses some steam towards the ending, especially when you’re not used to albums this long. Compared with the other ‘Acts’, one might say that this record contains some filler, but to me that’s not the case. I’ve heard this album so many times, I can attest that it is a great record.

Favourite song: Red Hands
Other songs worth checking out: Dear Ms. Leading, The Bitter Suite 1 and 2: Meeting Ms. Leading and Through the Dime, The Lake and the River
Other stuff by this band: I’m a big fan of all four ‘Act’ albums by them, more so than their other release, ‘The Color Spectrum’. Although everybody ranks them different, this one here is my favourite, followed by ‘Act IV’, released last year. Both ‘Act I’ and ‘Act III’  are great as well though.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 02:48:26 AM by Elite »
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #360 on: April 16, 2016, 02:43:22 AM »
I tried to get into Anathema through Weather Systems but didn't succeed. Should I try this one instead?
Yeah you should, I also thought Weather Systems was a little bit bland compared to the praise it gets here, but I liked WHBWH a lot better.
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #361 on: April 16, 2016, 02:44:07 AM »
i literally just heard a song from this album a few hours ago  :lol
i'll get a dear hunter album eventually, probably act 3, dunno

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #362 on: April 16, 2016, 02:55:43 AM »
Fucking can't go wrong with either of TDH's act albums, although I wpuld be slightly surprised if it was act 1 on your list.

I love Act 2, yes, but I think I like 4 the best. 3 has a lot of my favorite songs by the band but as an album I think it works slightly worse than 2.

Noticed you didnt list Migrant, dont like it? Im not a huge fan, but Shame is probably one of the best TDH songs IMO.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #363 on: April 16, 2016, 02:58:27 AM »
Oh god, I forgot that that album exists :lol
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #364 on: April 16, 2016, 03:19:43 AM »
Got Act II in the mail yesterday. I'll check it out after I'm done with my roulette.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #365 on: April 16, 2016, 04:55:41 AM »
The Dear Hunter!  :tup Not sure if I like Act II or TCS the most, but Act II is most certainly awesome.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #366 on: April 16, 2016, 11:13:19 AM »
I just wrote my write-up for #11.. Just the top 10 to write out now. Such excitement!
Squ

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #367 on: April 16, 2016, 11:37:22 AM »
Act II is fantastic and still remains my favorite DH album. :tup

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #368 on: April 16, 2016, 11:39:43 AM »
I just wrote my write-up for #11.. Just the top 10 to write out now. Such excitement!
i'm trying to do all the writeups for my upcoming list in advance so i can be sure of the order and have a fast posting pace like my last one
anyways hype intensifies etc corn corn corn neverusethis corn

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #369 on: April 16, 2016, 11:45:22 AM »
Maybe one day I'll get into this band or when I check Act IV :P

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #370 on: April 16, 2016, 11:51:16 AM »

Why put it on hold? Just do it. Just put aside re-listening to Weather Systems one night for the 906th time and spin Act IV or Act II.. or any TDH album ;)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #371 on: April 16, 2016, 11:54:24 AM »
i listened to act 3 in full, i think, i'm not actually sure whether or not i did though since i don't remember actually doing it? i probably didn't but i feel like i did

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #372 on: April 16, 2016, 12:16:02 PM »
i'm trying to do all the writeups for my upcoming list in advance so i can be sure of the order and have a fast posting pace like my last one
anyways hype intensifies etc corn corn corn neverusethis corn

I didn't have all done before I started, but I gave myself a big headstart. I'm writing them out as I go along, but this means writing stuff that I will only post two to three days later. It works out really well,mand the headstart I gave myself was a great help and  is basically the only reason I can keep this pace.
Squ

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #373 on: April 16, 2016, 01:09:32 PM »

Why put it on hold? Just do it. Just put aside re-listening to Weather Systems one night for the 906th time and spin Act IV or Act II.. or any TDH album ;)
WS is a very personal album for me, so I only listen to it every few months :P

And I have literally more than 50 roulette albums to get through before Act IV, but first I must finish exploring the discographies of my favorite artists, so... it could take a while, but I'll let you know when it happens  :smiley:

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #374 on: April 16, 2016, 01:19:35 PM »
I know it wouldn't matter too much coming from me since I had like 4 or 5 songs that scored 4/5 or higher (not counting finals), but nothing I sent you is worth prioritizing over Act IV, apart from maybe Lechuga but I think you already did that. Oh and Toxicity, but you don't like Serj Tankian boohoo :neverusethis:

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #375 on: April 16, 2016, 01:36:36 PM »
There will be no System of a Down on this list.
Squ

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #376 on: April 16, 2016, 01:40:05 PM »
i'm so depressed that i'm gonna wake up grab a brush and put a little makeup

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Long write-up incoming for #19, an album that's definitely not for everyone..

---

19. Between the Buried and Me – Colors (2007)

Well, where do I start with this one? Probably not at the first three tracks, because those three would turn off anybody who is not fond of growls whatsoever, especially those who have no idea what to expect here. Foam Born: (a) the Backtrack starts off innocently enough, with light piano and clean singing, but soon erupt into a wall of noise and growls. The two tracks that follow are probably even more relentless. (b) the Decade of Statues is a constant pounding of heavy riffs, only letting go a little at the end of the song. Informal Gluttony opens with tribal drums, but soon turns into BTBAM’s trademark progressive death metal sound as well. The same formula applies to this track too; at the end it gets a little calmer, but only ever so slightly.

Now that I got the first three tracks out of the way, I can talk about where the album really takes off. The album actually reaches its high points at the fourth track, and from there on it is smooth sailing until the end. Earlier in this top 50, I spoke about Converge’s ‘Jane Doe’ probably being the heaviest album in this list. I won’t correct myself on that, but compared to this record, I think ‘Jane Doe’ is a lot easier to listen to. Not that this is so much heavier, because I don’t think it is, but ‘Colors’ can be very tiring on your ears. Perhaps this is due to me not being used to listening to this type of music a lot, but the constant heaviness, growls and rhythmic and tempo changes really can become too much. That’s probably why I don’t really enjoy the first three tracks all that much, because there’s barely any dynamic subtleties, barring the beginning and ends of the tracks. That said, the remaining tracks are all nothing short of excellent, and the first three aren’t all that bad, otherwise this album wouldn’t be here. All is relative, but still.

It’s probably not surprising that the four longest tracks on this album are my favourite. It seems to me that the band actually though to themselves that because the track is longer, they could experiment within the track more. Sun of Nothing is the first of three tracks clocking in at over 10 minutes, and almost right from the start (alright, about 2 minutes then) it becomes clear that the band takes more attention to dynamics and melody in this track. Lots of interesting melodies can be found, as well as a very long passage of clean singing at the end. Ants of the Sky continues this trend, mixing even more melody than the previous track, and like Sun of Nothing contains a lengthy clean passage. A highlight on the album for me is the moment everything goes quiet around 11:20 and the band introduces a hoedown country section, having that explode into some of the album’s finest instrumental passages. Amazing stuff right there.

The track Prequel to the Sequel that follows is probably my favourite. That track manages to perfectly blend everything that makes BTBAM sound the way they do into one cohesive track. Viridian follows, the album’s only instrumental track and the last really peaceful moment before the album heads into the insane album closer White Walls. This last track starts off with one of the most instantly recognisable riffs on the album, it soon heads into a flurry of rhythms and lots of growls. Like the other tracks over 10-minutes though, White Walls is very much melodic in the sense that all of the instrumentalists provide a very nice backdrop for the growled vocals. Going through a lengthy quiet passage and multiple trademark BTBAM-sections, the vocalist shouts the words ‘White wall!’ four times and the song ends with a long melodic instrumental passage, including some great guitar solos, ending the album on a very high note.

What makes this album interesting is the ridiculous technicality of all instrumentalists. Furthermore, the melodies, whenever they are there are usually outstanding, and the band doesn’t shy away from using very wacky influences at places you don’t expect them (the hoedown section in Ants of the Sky is but one of many such instances). Overall, once you get past the brutality of the first three tracks, there’s a lot of beautiful stuff on this album, even though the growled lyrics are for the most part incomprehensible. What doesn’t really help the album is that every track flows directly into the other. This way, the only resting points are the places the music takes a softer turn and there are relatively few of them.  It certain is an enjoyable ride, although it may be a little tiring on the ears at some points.

Favourite song: Prequel to the Sequel
Other songs worth checking out: Ants of the Sky, Sun of Nothing, White Walls
Other stuff by this band: It’s kind of weird, but I’m not that much of a fan of this band to actively like all their other albums. None of it is really bad, but on this one they just did something magical. I think my second favourite by them would be the one they released in 2015, ‘Coma Ecliptic’. Their first two are too much noise for me, but ‘Alaska’ contains some nice songs.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 12:50:45 AM by Elite »
Squ

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
WHIIIIITEEEE WAAAAAALLSS :2metal:

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
As a newer fan of this band this album currently sits in the #4 spot, but I still really like it. That said, Parallax II and TGM are the only ones I actually own. Ants of the Sky is probably a top 5 BT-BAM song for me, and White Walls ends the album with one of the best instrumental passages I've heard in a damn long time. :hefdaddy

TGM is the best them tho

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
i like this album a lot but i don't think i've ever fully "loved" this album. it has some of their best moments for sure but if i'm gonna be honest a lot of the metalcore stuff here never really appealed to me, the metal on TGM is a ton better anyways, for some reason or another

that being said still a pretty damn good album and they'll never top the outro of Sun of Nothing or the entire second half of White Walls

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
This should be higher!

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
This should be higher!

Just checked the latest list you did again (in 2013), and you had it at #6. I don't know how accurate that would be nowadays, but yeah.. you had it higher. That said, I also think I have some stuff coming up that you will appreciate :)
Squ

Offline Tomislav95

i like this album a lot but i don't think i've ever fully "loved" this album. it has some of their best moments for sure but if i'm gonna be honest a lot of the metalcore stuff here never really appealed to me, the metal on TGM is a ton better anyways, for some reason or another

that being said still a pretty damn good album and they'll never top the outro of Sun of Nothing or the entire second half of White Walls
All of this.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
This should be higher!

Just checked the latest list you did again (in 2013), and you had it at #6. I don't know how accurate that would be nowadays, but yeah.. you had it higher. That said, I also think I have some stuff coming up that you will appreciate :)

Since I'm on the waiting list I don't want to give too much away.  :biggrin: