Author Topic: Elite's top 50 albums v. - 3 Years Older: #1: love is the dance of eternity  (Read 46843 times)

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
seriously can we stop spamming the thread  :lol
But I don't really like Shadow Gallery :P

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Oh, that's a shame. I don't think you will like the next pick either.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: Elite's top 50 albums v. - 3 Years Older: #24: listen to your junk man
« Reply #317 on: April 14, 2016, 04:13:04 AM »
24. Bruce Springsteen – The Wild, the Innocent and the E-Street Shuffle (1973)

After seeing David Bowie on the list and a couple of other admittedly weird picks, K think it would be safe to say that this particular Bruce Springsteen record is truly the odd one out in the list. Knowing what comes next, I think it’s safe to say for me that the top 23 are all rather logical choices, but this one doesn’t really fit in with the remainder of the list. Or does it?

I think it does. ‘The Wild (...)’ is not your average Bruce Springsteen album. In fact, it might very well be safe to say that this album is actually the odd one out in his own discography. I’m not exactly a fan of Springsteen’s, so how I got to this album is another story entirely, but it has something to do with my mother having me listen to the album closer, New York City Serenade. All my prejudice and presumptions about Springsteen’s music were destroyed at hearing this almost 10-minutes masterpiece.

I may actually come across like an idiot, because I have so little knowledge of Springsteen other musical endeavours (except for a bunch of his hit songs, I know them), but I like to believe that this album is very different from his other work. This is evident not only in the aforementioned album closer, but also in the very groovy and funky Rosalita (Come Out Tonight). I think ‘groovy’ is actually a good description for the entire album, as every song is very funky. I think this is a perfect example of an R&B album, where ‘R&B’ actually means ‘rhythm-and-blues’. You can clearly hear Springsteen’s influences, in the way his voice sounds, the way the saxophone is utilised on the record, and by the overall feel this record have. Springsteen before he went all-out rock-and-roll, I think that’s the best description I can give here.

Favourite song: New York City Serenade
Other songs worth checking out: Rosalita (Come Out Tonight), Kitty’s Back, The E-Street Shuffle
Other stuff by this band: I’m not a fan of Bruce Springsteen’s other stuff, to be honest, so I can’t really comment here. It’s just this particular album that I hold dearly.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #318 on: April 14, 2016, 05:09:18 AM »
Bruce's 70s stuff is mostly gold.

Shadow Gallery isn't a band I go to regularly, but (like many others - Savatage comes to mind), I wonder why I don't whenever I listen to them.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #319 on: April 14, 2016, 05:22:30 AM »
Bruce's 70s stuff is mostly gold.

Shadow Gallery isn't a band I go to regularly, but (like many others - Savatage comes to mind), I wonder why I don't whenever I listen to them.

Good to know, I wouldn't mind hearing more of his stuff. Any recommendations for albums in a similar vein to The Wild(..)?

Savatage is an excellent example of a band I like whenever I hear them, but never listen to on a regular basis at all. Pretty the much the same as for you then.
Squ

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #320 on: April 14, 2016, 06:04:18 AM »
Born to Run and Darkness on the Edge of Town are absolute gold.  Teh River and Nebraska are a notch below in my books - with the former being a bit of a chore to get thru sometimes.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #321 on: April 14, 2016, 06:23:47 AM »
Saw Springsteen live two times and can see the appeal and why fans go nuts about his concerts. I was the odd one out there that didn't really enjoy his music and his performance. Left me mostly indifferent. Same goes with the records I've heard of him.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #322 on: April 14, 2016, 08:03:44 AM »
Never seen the big hype for Bruce Springsteen and I feel kinda bad for it. He is huge over here in Sweden and whenever he comes, he sells out stadiums with 60 000 people going and the concerts always go on for 3 hours and gets 5/5 in the newspapers. I enjoy some of the music but something about his vocals just pulls me out. Which is a shame because I feel like I'm left out of a party where everyone is having fun, and I don't "get it".

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
One that's well known here.

---

23. Devin Townsend – Terria (2001)

Another case of an album that has dropped down dramatically in the last 3 years. Like the Shadow Gallery album, this is not a case of me not liking this album anymore, but a case of me not liking this album nearly enough to warrant it a place in the top 10, like on my very first list. ‘Terria’ is still an album I hold dearly, but I don’t really listen to Devin Townsend that much anymore. This has a little to do with me not liking his last couple of albums, at least compared to his earlier album they felt very stale and boring, but mostly due to this album not exactly conforming to me tastes anymore. That's not to say I don't like it, there's just 22 albums I like better.

In order to not write this write-up about albums I do not like, let’s focus on ‘Terria’. Townsend’s 2001 album is absolutely a masterpiece, at least in my own opinion. All of Townsend’s trademark sounds can be found on this album. Where he deconstructed his core sound on later albums, on ‘Terria’ a lot of variation can be found. Compare the frantic Earth Day with its polar opposite Deep Peace for instance, amd you’d be hard pressed to find the stylistic similarities. A part of his core sound has always been the huge walls of sound he creates and the multiple tracks he layers. This can be heard on virtually every track on this album, but perhaps either Mountain or the proggy Tiny Tears is the best example of this.

Devin Townsend gets labeled as ‘progressive metal’. While I do not think this label is wrong, his music is certainly not comparable to the standard prog-bands. More likely the label given to his music is based on the fact that the textures he creates in his music are refreshing and to a certain extent ‘progressive’, in the word’s actual meaning. Where this album used to be one of my all-time favourites, I have definitely not written this album off. In fact, I still like it very much and listening to it every once in a while still remains a pleasure. That said, there have been a number of albums that have stayed with me better than this one, hence its placement.

Favourite song: Canada
Other songs worth checking out: Nobody’s Here, Mountain, Earth Day
Other stuff by this band: This is too difficult, because this man has made so many different albums (with different line-ups as well). I like them all, but my favourites are ‘Ki’ (released under the name The Devin Townsend Project), ‘Deconstruction’ (same) and ‘ Ocean Machine’. Hit me up, or any of the Devin fans here for more detailed descriptions of what his vast catalogue sounds like.
Squ

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
a great album  :tup
though I disagree with your picks for the best tracks  :lol

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
Amazing album. Thank you for introducing me to it, at least I think it was you. It now sits proudly on #2 of my favourite albums.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
I'm not a huge Devy fan, but Terria (along with Ocean Machine) is a really good album. I got the green vinyl of it in my collection. :)

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
A pretty good Devin album, but one I have to be in the mood for it, otherwise it bores me :P

Offline jakepriest

One of my least favourite Devin albums to be honest.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
i continue to be convinced a jakepriest roulette would be the worst roulette in site history  :tup

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Even worse than mine? Damn, I should play that one  :P

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
you were right about 50% of the time, jake would be around 10%

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

My favorite Devin album. Can you do both heavy and beauty? This album answers that.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
Very good album by Devin, not my personal favorite (nothing can touch Ocean Machine), but really good.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
Terria is one of the best albums ever made. Absolute masterpiece.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
a great album  :tup
though I disagree with your picks for the best tracks  :lol

of course you do :lol

Amazing album. Thank you for introducing me to it, at least I think it was you. It now sits proudly on #2 of my favourite albums.

:D

I'm not a huge Devy fan, but Terria (along with Ocean Machine) is a really good album. I got the green vinyl of it in my collection. :)

That's awesome. I remember only seeing that when it was already sold out. Coloured vinyl is very cool :)

A pretty good Devin album, but one I have to be in the mood for it, otherwise it bores me :P

:( you love my #22, though

One of my least favourite Devin albums to be honest.

You are weird :p

My favorite Devin album. Can you do both heavy and beauty? This album answers that.

I should have written more about the music. This is basically the album in one sentence, though Mountain's first line kind-of says the same thing.

Very good album by Devin, not my personal favorite (nothing can touch Ocean Machine), but really good.

Ocean Machine is likely my second or third favourite.

Terria is one of the best albums ever made. Absolute masterpiece.

Yes!
Squ

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
22. Riverside – Anno Domini High Definition (2009)

I admit that I did never really listen to the separate instruments in Riverside’s music until guitarist Piotr Grudzínski died very unfortunately less than two months ago. When I heard that news, I thought that their 2015 gig at the Night of the Prog festival was the last time that I got to see them live. To be honest, I’m not really sure how the band will continue without a founding member, guitarist and friend.

It might seem silly and at least a little undeserving that I only really started paying attention to the individual instruments (including the guitar lines) after his death. This is partly due to this band’s music. All of the instruments tie in together greatly, creating one sound, rather than hearing four different guys playing at the same time. Some of Dream Theater’s latest albums have this problem, where one of the instruments is clearly more in the forefront than the  In Riverside’s music, this never seems the case

This makes it difficult to say that Riverside’s members aren’t really as proficient as some of the more well-known prog musicians, it just that Riverside has absolutely no ambition, nor the need for over-the-top virtuosity. In fact, basically all of the guitar solos in their music are far more melodic than fast per se. I read a comment by someone, after Piotr died, who claimed that his guitar playing is not to be remember for his virtuosic ability, but for his craft to weld melodic lines into the framework of the rest of music. A perfect example of this is the fantastic guitar solo in Hybrid Times at around the 7:30 mark. Coming from a completely unexpected point, the solo starts off brilliant with that first note. The rest is pure melodic greatness.

This album is, for me, Riverside’s high point. Although all their albums have a very distinct sound, I think ‘Anno Domini High Definition’ mixes all of Riverside’s elements in exactly the right amounts. It’s probably one their heaviest albums, if not the heaviest, but it’s very accessible and groovy throughout. Don’t let the track-list fool you either; this album contains only 5 tracks, and each subsequent track is longer in length. That’s not to say that they’re full of proggy detractions, although some songs do contain such moments occasionally, but all the songs are very to-the-point and have great flow.

Without a doubt my favourite song on the record would be the album closer Hybrid Times, one of the best prog-songs written in recent years as far as I’m concerned. Among the song’s highlights are the aforementioned guitar solo, but also the great riffs that make up the first half of the song, including its chorus. The penultimate track Left Out is also a mini-epic that’s actually more of a song even than Hybrid Times, since the latter ends in chanting noises after about 9 minutes. Of the first three tracks, the album opener Hyperactive is a great mood-setter, whereas Egoist Hedonist is (or was?) a staple in the band’s live set-lists. The only song not mentioned here is Driven to Destruction, which is not a bad song at all, but probably the weakest link on an album full of gems. Seriously, this is great stuff.

Favourite song: Hybrid Times
Other songs worth checking out: Left Out, Hyperactive, Egoist Hedonist
Other stuff by this band: I feel bad for leaving out Driven to Destruction, as the only track not featured above. All of Riverside’s albums are great. My second favourite is probably ‘Love, Fear and the Time Machine’ and after that it’s all even. If you’re more into heavier stuff like this album, you could go for ‘Shrine of New Generation Slaves’. The remaining three albums, ‘Rapid Eye Movement’, ‘Second Life Syndrome’ and ‘Out of Myself’ are quite alike. Each one of those has great moments, but to me also moments of filler songs. Every album of theirs is very enjoyable nevertheless.
Squ

Offline jakepriest

i continue to be convinced a jakepriest roulette would be the worst roulette in site history  :tup

:lol

Anno Domini is next on my list right after I finish digesting Second Life Syndrome. The band is absolutely amazing. Love, Fear And The Time Machine is probably my favourite album of 2015.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Yes, absolutely agreed - I've always preferred them for their very melodic nature, and lack of wank and instruments clearly outstanding above the others. And you're right, I love this record and actually agreed on the best song :2metal:  :tup

Offline Tomislav95

Not my favorite of theirs but still amazing album. They are one of those bands with perfect discography.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
Great pick! I've always had a hard time picking a favorite album with Riverside but honestly ADHD might be it.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
way way way too low  :tup

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
Hopefully this one's a grower, couldn't really get into it the first few times, I seem to lose more and more attention as it goes, can only remember Hyperactive and parts of Driven to Destruction but they were good.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Train, listen to it more often then!

The rest; glad we agree :)

way way way too low  :tup

okay :tup
Squ

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
you make me feel so low, so low

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
you make me feel so low, so low

Thanks.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
No, this was not a Porcupine Tree album, get your shit straight.

Thanks.

what? :lol
Squ

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Sent!

Offline senecadawg2

Last three artists would be in my top 50 as well. Not those albums, but you've made good choices.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: Elite's top 50 albums v. - 3 Years Older: #21: it's never too late
« Reply #349 on: April 15, 2016, 04:53:12 PM »
Last album before we enter the top 20. Exciting times lie ahead! Any guesses for what will yet come? We can also save this game for the top 10 of course :)

Number #21:

---

21. Anathema – We’re Here Because We’re Here (2010)

I discovered Anathema because of this album getting insanely good reviews back when it was released. You can probably guess that this is the main reason that this is my favourite album by them. Never had I heard (of) this band before, but the reviews it got made me want to check it out – and I was floored. The beauty of this album’s music was something my taste-developing ears had not gotten used to yet.

Because of my initial reaction towards this album being so positive, I found it very hard to appreciate their older material. For those unfamiliar with Anathema, the band has had quite its history in different music styles; starting off as a doom metal band, they moved through various styles of alternative rock before settling on their current sound. For those who haven't heard this record, nor any of the two that followed this (since they’re in a similar style); this is beautiful atmospheric progressive rock, mixed with mesmerizing instrumental passages, awesome female vocals and sparingly using elements of pop music. The album starts with one of the best songs on the record (Thin Air) and takes about two thirds to reach its highest moment for me. A Simple Mistake is a lesson in how to build-up a song the right way; easily my favourite track on the record.

Anathema shows they are very capable of making light, peaceful and happy music. In fact, the album cover is very reminiscent of what this album sounds like. If I had to show, physically, what this album sounds like, a sunset like the one on the album cover would be excellent. Musically a lot of tunes are piano-driven, with relatively little use of distorted guitar. Both male singers and their female band-member take turns as vocals, which gives their music another interesting aspect.

All in all, you could say that this is most of all an atmospheric record, which keeps concise song-writing in high regard. There is absolutely no unnecessary parts on the entire album, every part has a purpose. A lot of the songs on this record build up towards a grandiose ending, adding little pieces of the puzzle as the song progressing. Constructed of relatively simple melodies and rhythms, all songs do manage to be interesting throughout. I would like to say that this album has no weak point whatsoever. Looking back in hindsight, I understand not only why this album but such great reviews, but also why the press was so relieved at Anathema releasing an album again. After many years of silence, this is the album that ultimately defined their current style of music.

Favourite song: A Simple Mistake
Other songs worth checking out: Thin Air, Universal, Dreaming Light
Other stuff by this band: I might get flamed for saying this, especially for those who like ‘Weather Systems’ or ‘Judgement’, but this is to me by far Anathema’s best album. None of their other records come close, especially since everything before this one is so different. If you like what you hear on WHBWH, you’re bound to like ‘Weather Systems’ and ‘Distant Satellites’ as well. I’m personally more of a fan of ‘A Natural Disaster’ than ‘Judgment’, but both are quite fine. ‘Alternative 4’ isn’t half bad either. I could never really get into the doom metal influenced albums from the beginning of their career.
Squ