Author Topic: Elite's top 50 albums v. - 3 Years Older: #1: love is the dance of eternity  (Read 46858 times)

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Elite's top 50 albums v. - 3 Years Older: #29: I wish we were still in June
« Reply #280 on: April 11, 2016, 02:35:03 PM »
Something much lighter than the past few updates.

---

29. Spock’s Beard – The Kindness of Strangers (1998)

Yay, more prog! Spock’s Beard tend to be hit or miss among progressive rock fans, at least that’s true in my circle of friends. Spock’s Beard are best known probably as the band Neal Morse was formerly in, before he chased down a solo career and joined forced with Mike Portnoy (among others) in Transatlantic. This is a shame really, because even after Morse’s departure, the band continued to make great music and they still do to this day. That said, it’s good to see that Neal has absolutely no hard feelings with the current band members (including his brother, Alan, who is a beast on the guitar) as he regularly joins forces with them on stage.

So, here is ‘The Kindness of Strangers’, the Beard’s third album and it’s my favourite by them. This is for a large part because of Flow, the song I consider to be my second favourite Spock’s Beard tune, behind The Light from their debut. For what it’s worth, The Doorway from ‘Beware of Darkness’ would round off the top 3. Really, to me the first three albums are all great and I could have include any of the three here, but I went with their third, because it’s the most consistent to me and doesn’t contain any ‘filler’ whatsoever.

This album contains two great Spock’s Beard rockers, The Mouth of Madness and Cakewalk on Easy Street, but also the toned-down almost prog-rock classic June, a song Neal Morse likes to revisit often. Rounding off the track-list are my aforementioned favourite, two more prog-epics (The Good Don’t Last and Harm’s Way) and what’s probably the worst song on the album, Strange World. With the Beard being a prog-rock band, it’s would be weird to have this album listed as your favourite and then not mention the epics as your favourites from the album. That said, my favourite really is a level above the others. Here is a special mention for the first section of the song, but more notably that stunning ending guitar solo. A beautiful moment of almost ugly notes, against a great backdrop of progressive goodness.

This album is all that the Beard is wrapped into an awesome package. It’s got the melodies, it’s got the rockers, it’s got the epics and it’s got quirkiness. Lots of good stuff can be found on this record. Even though it might not be for everybody, this album remains a delight to listen to occasionally.

Favourite song: Flow
Other songs worth checking out: Harm’s Way, June, The Good Don’t Last
Other stuff by this band: You really can’t go wrong with any album by this band. Although the line-up changed drastically when Neal Morse decided to leave, the band has put out good albums exclusively (although there’s some duds on certain records). My favourites would have to be ‘The Light’, ‘Beware of Darkness’, ‘V’ and ‘Brief Nocturnes and Dreamless Sleep’.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Mladen

A very nice album. I've always been torn about June and Harm's way, but I love most of the other songs.

Offline Tomislav95

The only album by Spock's Beard that I know and I love it :tup
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Check out more then!
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
Not my favorite by them but certainly a good one.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: Elite's top 50 albums v. - 3 Years Older: #28: open the car door slow
« Reply #285 on: April 12, 2016, 02:04:52 AM »
Funny; less replies on prog-albums than on more metal albums. Let's see if this next pick can stir up some discussion!

---

28. Steven Wilson – Insurgentes (2009)

I do realise this is a weird choice for a Steven Wilson album, but considering all four the man has released under his own name are equally fantastic, I went with the one that a) I listen to most and b) doesn’t get nearly enough attention. So, after Porcupine Tree the band’s frontman Steven Wilson started his own solo-project, initially to get some sounds out there heard, but now it has become a full-time career. On his last album, ‘Hand. Cannot. Erase.’ There’s even a couple of songs that definitely would have fit on a Porcupine Tree record, so you could say that he has gone a long way to get back where he started.

Why did I choose this album then, above the other masterpieces he’s written? Frankly, because this one was the first I heard, the moment it came out. It also contains my absolute favourite Steven Wilson song, but mostly because I love the experimentalism he showcases on this album. Especially the drones as found in Abandoner and Get All You Deserve are a highlight of the album. Then there’s some proggy goodness in tracks such as Salvaging (including that lovely wall of sound at the end) and No Twilight Within the Courts of the Sun, but also the straight-up rocking tune Harmony Korine. Topping that off with a couple of softer, almost ballad-like songs like Insurgentes and the underappreciated ambient track Veneno Para Las Hadas and this album is a joy to listen to in full.

The album loses some of its experimental steam about halfway through the album, with the only three tracks not mentioned yet that follow each other up. Significant Other, Only Child and to a lesser extent the instrumental Twilight Coda are the songs most reminiscent of Wilson’s Porcupine Tree days. That’s not to say those three are bad, but they kind-of pale in comparison to the more experimental tracks on this same disc. Wilson ends the album fantastically with me favourite song of his, Get All You Deserve, a great tune to completely immerse yourself in sound with. After the song’s final two minutes of static and drones, the album takes a soft turn for the album’s closing track, often considered among the best songs on the album and I have to agree. All in all, this is a very interesting journey through a bunch of Wilson’s influences. More so than on any of his other solo albums (although ‘Grace for Drowning’ comes close) does he mix this many styles of music into one cohesive whole. I am by no means saying that this is arguably his best solo work, but it is definitely my personal favourite.

Favourite song: Get All You Deserve
Other songs worth checking out: Harmony Korine, Abandoner, Insurgentes
Other stuff by this band: Any Steven Wilson solo album is pure gold. I think ‘The Raven that Refused To Sing (and Other Stories)’ is generally considered the favourite, but 2015’s ‘Hand. Cannot. Erase.’ is a stunning album too. ‘Grace for Drowning’ is the most similar to this one, but probably his least accessible album as well.
Squ

Offline Tomislav95

Check out more then!
I will. Beware the Darkness will be next.

About Insurgentes, it's my least favorite Wilson's album. I didn't bother to listen it as much as others though because I couldn't get into it after few listens. 

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #287 on: April 12, 2016, 02:28:43 AM »
I tries explaining in the write-up why it is my favourite, but tastes are personal I guess.
Squ

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #288 on: April 12, 2016, 02:43:21 AM »
I tries explaining in the write-up why it is my favourite, but tastes are personal I guess.
Yea, experimental rock is not something I can appreciate in few listens. However, I liked Grace for Drowning immediately.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #289 on: April 12, 2016, 03:11:11 AM »
The first half of this album is absolutely brilliant, after that it looses a bit of momentum but it's still great. Wouldn't say that this is my favorite SW record but it's the one I can connect on an emotional level more than the others. I don't know why it is, but as great as Grace and Raven and HCE are, they are a bit sterile (for lack of a better word) for me. I can appreciate the songwriting, the sounds, the playing, the production, everything is top notch. But when I want feelings and emotions I reach for Insurgentes. Doesn't probably make sense, but that's my problem.  ;D
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #290 on: April 12, 2016, 03:28:21 AM »
Big cudos for Insurgentes! Definitely my favorite SW solo album after Grace For Drowning, and I revisit Insurgentes very frequently compared to the last two, which I don't revisit much at all.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #291 on: April 12, 2016, 08:46:40 AM »
An excellent record, yes sir  :metal

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #293 on: April 12, 2016, 08:48:40 AM »
ahh, the steven wilson solo album that i don't have  :corn

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #294 on: April 12, 2016, 08:51:24 AM »
Go listen to PT, then get into his solo career, Train :P

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #295 on: April 12, 2016, 09:02:27 AM »
Amazing album by SW. Probably my least favourite of them, but it's still absolutely stunning. Great choice. I understand your pick over the other SW solo albums though. I think I listen the most to TRTRTS, but I think either GfD or HCE is the best.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #296 on: April 12, 2016, 01:26:08 PM »
Yes, I knew this would be the most underappreciated Steven Wilson record. Glad to see at least a couple of people agreeing with my choice though :)

#27 will be up tonight, and I expect there to be a lot less response on that one, even though you guys surprise me by commenting a lot on albums I thought would get far less attention. I hope I can keep the momentum until the top 10, though I might lose everybody there :lol
Squ

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #297 on: April 12, 2016, 01:40:45 PM »
I actually think I agree with you on Insurgentes. Never really thought of which one would be my favorite SW solo album, and though I love to immerse myself in the deluxe edition of Hand Cannot Erase, I must admit that I've only done that two or three times. Raven dated quick, and I don't really care much for Grace.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
27. Wishbone Ash – Argus (1972)

This one holds a special place in my heart, because it is one of the favourite albums of my former stepfather (if I remember correctly) and the first band I really got to see live. According to the myth, this is the band that invented the dual-lead guitars, found in so much music nowadays. It is also said the guitarists of this band were the first 'big' band to use Gibson Flying V guitars to accentuate their dual-lead style. The music is predominantly (hard) folk-rock, with elements of prog implemented. Expect very good guitar work, interesting vocal melodies and great overall flow.

Although the album runs at only 45 minutes, the time it takes to listen to this one in full feels much shorter. It’s as if the band-members were on fire on this record. From the opening arpeggios of the album’s first track Time Was to the ending solo in the closer Throw Down the Sword, there’s not a minute on this album that feels inferior to the rest. All of it is great and none of it can be left out. This album is full of great tunes and you can clearly hear the band took their time to create interesting melodic arrangements for two guitars throughout. Top that off with vocals by multiple band-members and this album is a journey in itself.

With lyrics drawing upon medieval times and myth in general (The King Will Come and Warrior for instance), the band solidified is position as a huge player in the English folk-rock scene of the seventies. They also know how to craft up-beat songs with lots of melody. My favourite song from this album, Sometime World is a great example of that. Blowin’ Free then, is other rather upbeat song, but a lot happier in nature. A sort-of love-song, made prefect by amazing lead-playing throughout. Probably their best known song, and certainly the song with the most instantly recognisable riff is Warrior – a song I would recommend first to anyone wanting to give this album a try.

Although the band is still around today, they don’t have nearly as much fame as they once had, which is a shame honestly. That said, only one original member remains in the group today, but they’re nevertheless still rocking somewhere. I saw them in the summer of 2007 I think and it remains one of my favourite concert experiences ever. Do yourself a favour and listen to this one.

Favourite song: Sometime World
Other songs worth checking out: Time Was, Warrior, Blowin’ Free
Other stuff by this band: I have this compilation CD of theirs called ‘Tracks 3’ that’s full of amazing songs. You can’t really go wrong with any of the first four albums (this one + their self-titled, ‘Pilgrimage’ and ‘Wishbone Four’), but this band has an extensive discography of over 20 albums (excluding live-material) and I haven’t heard all of it, so don’t take my word for it, I might’ve missed a gem here.
Squ

Offline Tomislav95

Yes, it is that great :tup
Also, you got best song right :P but every song is amazing.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
I probably never listened to this album enough but I've spun it a few times, tis pretty cool stuff.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

It's now starting to get on my nerves that I haven't heard that album. It comes up quite often and it looks good.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
I have something on my list Fluffy doesn't know?  :o
Squ

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: Elite's top 50 albums v. - 3 Years Older: #26: gather 'round near me
« Reply #303 on: April 13, 2016, 02:50:08 AM »
26. Thrice – The Alchemy Index (2007 & 2008)

Like the Jolly album 6 spots back in this top 50, this album is borderline cheating, because it’s not one record, but rather two albums released it different times under the same name. That said, they obviously below together since it’s the two halves (or rather, four quarters) that make the whole. Released as two double albums, the full title of the first record is ‘The Alchemy Index Vols. I & II: Fire & Water’, while the second part was released a year later as ‘The Alchemy Index Vols. III & IV: Air & Earth’. On the physical edition of both releases, the different volumes were all released on separate disc, spreading this whole record out across four discs in total.

And that’s where the beauty of this multiple-albums-concept comes from. Every disc represents one of the classic elements and all the songs on that respective disc are in a different style. Every disc also contains exactly six songs and runs for approximately 25 minutes. Furthermore, every last track on the disc is lyrically based on a sonnet, with three 4-line verses and an ending consisting of 2 lines. It’s little touches like this one that give the album a sense of continuity throughout.

Stylistically, the ‘Fire’ EP is the heaviest, most frantic one, with ‘Water’ being more subdued and melancholic. The ‘Air’ EP is quite light in sound-structure, but with occasional sudden bursts of heaviness, reminiscent of the ‘Fire’ EP, but probably more melodic. The ‘Earth’ EP lastly is the most ‘authentic’ sounding, for lack of a better words. Recorded almost exclusively with acoustic instruments and apparently recorded live in a living room, it surely sounds the most honest out of all three.

Why should you listen to an album that desperately tries to mix different styles into a grand concept of elements with music ties to it? Because it’s amazing. As everybody who knows Thrice can confirm, this band has never been about a single style of music; the band has always experimented with different aspects of sounds, and this is just an elaborate consequence of that. I love this record because of its diversity, not despite it, and every disc has its own strengths. Though I would recommend listening to all of it, it’s a long record in full, running at over 100 minutes. Ask around for some good tracks first, before digging in fully.

Favourite song: Daedalus
Other songs worth checking out: Digging My Own Grave, Firebreather, Come All You Weary
Other stuff by this band: I can recommend either ‘Vheissu’ or ‘Beggars’. Parama would agree with me for sure, except that I didn’t choose one of those to begin with. I’m sorry, I just like ‘The Alchemy Index’  better.
Squ

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #304 on: April 13, 2016, 03:01:46 AM »
While personally I think Vheissu is their finest release, The Alchemy Index (both) would come in just behind, and it is a really fine work of art. I think all 4 elements are treated in interesting ways, and I don't really have a favorite EP since they're all so good.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #305 on: April 13, 2016, 03:04:39 AM »
 :corn

I never heard their one song but I think I should.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #306 on: April 13, 2016, 04:48:52 AM »
I've heard a lot of praise about this album. Maybe I should give it a spin.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #307 on: April 13, 2016, 05:08:58 AM »
Great album. Everyone should give this one a try, all four EPs are stunning in their own right.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #308 on: April 13, 2016, 06:37:35 AM »
I have something on my list Fluffy doesn't know?  :o
You'd probably be surprised how much stuff there is that I either know by name, but really nothing else. Or stuff that I have a pretty good idea I will like, have possibly sampled, but it's still just meandering on a list 5-10 years after noting it.

Like Thrice, for example. The last album of theirs I checked out properly, at the recommendation of an article in Metal Hammer about emo from about 2003-4, was The Artist and the Ambulance, which I wasn't too fond of. Since then, I've listened to a track or two from some of the later albums as they've come out and thought, should give that band some time of day. Still haven't gotten there yet.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #309 on: April 13, 2016, 08:40:30 AM »
I can recommend either ‘Vheissu’ or ‘Beggars’. Parama would agree with me for sure, except that I didn’t choose one of those to begin with.
:tup

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
25. Shadow Gallery – Legacy (2001)

How the mighty have fallen. ‘Legacy’ held the #2 spot in my first album top 50 and has now been placed at just the half-way mark. How come? Well, just like the Ayreon album at #37, this one has dropped not because I don’t like it anymore, but because I rarely listen to it these days. Shadow Gallery used to be one of my favourite bands, back in the days that I didn’t really known all that many bands. They were unique, in the sense that apart from Dream Theater, they were the only progressive metal band in that style of prog-metal that I knew. They were special to me, this band not many people knew about. Their music spoke to me and I enjoyed their every output.

I was introduced to Shadow Gallery by my mother, who in turn got it from the same step-father that loved Wishbone Ash. I reckon this is the Shadow Gallery album that she would have on in her car most of the time, occasionally swapping it with either Dream Theater’s ‘Metropolis Pt. 2: Scenes From a Memory’ or ‘Images and Words’. You could say that long before I even knew what progressive metal as a genre was, I had heard some of the very best the genre has to offer. Of course this didn’t leave me cold to this style of music. Years later, when I began developing my own preferences, I would turn to this CD and revisit the songs I had heard many years before.

Shadow Gallery is, at its core, a progressive metal band, consisting of the classic line-up of drums, bass, guitar, keys and vocals. All of the band-members are excellent at their respective instruments and they’re all genuinely nice people too. I’ve had the honour to not only meet them twice when they played ProgPower Europe in 2010 and 2013, but also to have lunch with them on the latter edition.

‘Legacy’ consists of 6 songs, the opening mini-epic Cliffhanger 2, three rockers, including my favourite Destination Unknown, the ballad Colors and the magnifiscent closing epic First Light. Shadow Gallery showcases on this album not only their instrumental prowess, but also their ability to create memorable vocal hooks & harmonisations, great song-structures and headbang-worthy riffs. What they do is by no means revolutionary, but the strength at which they pull it off counts for something. Give it a try, you might actually like it a lot.

Favourite song: Destination Unknown
Other songs worth checking out: First Light, Cliffhanger 2, Colors
Other stuff by this band: Any album by this band is a safe choice. My personal favourites are probably ‘Carved in Stone’ and ‘Digital Ghosts’, but ‘Tyranny’ and ‘Room V’ are great as well. The bands self-titled debut album is good, but is lacking in production quality.
Squ

Offline jakepriest

wtb an album I've listened to

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Meh.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
seriously can we stop spamming the thread  :lol

Offline senecadawg2

Really like your last four picks. Hard not to.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.