Author Topic: Elite's top 50 albums v. - 3 Years Older: #1: love is the dance of eternity  (Read 46864 times)

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: Elite's top 50 albums v. - 3 Years Older: Post #2
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2016, 02:22:25 AM »
As for Agalloch, "shoegaze-influenced metal (including the occasional black metal shrieks and high-pitched vocals)" sounds like really not my thing.

To be honest, reading that back it doesn't really do the album justice. There's also lots of instrumental passages as well as acoustic/folky bits. The vocals aren't always harsh either. Having said that, I don't really think it would be your thing anyway.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2016, 03:09:47 AM »
I Am Anonymous is on my to-check for too long. I liked what I heard on Nick's WPaPU but I'm too lazy to listen to whole album.
Agalloch is one of my ffavorite band at the moment. Ashes Agains the Grain were on my #3 but The Mantle was close to be there, too. I think Evermind could like it or The White EP, both are full of great folky parts.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2016, 04:24:22 AM »
I enjoyed Headspace, but - my love of Damian Wilson notwithstanding - I wasn't all 'gaga' over it like most people here were/are.  Same with the new release.  Enjoyable, but not something I turn to very often.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2016, 04:29:22 AM »
The Mantle  :tup

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2016, 06:36:09 AM »
Haven't listened to The Mantle despite owning it. I Am Anonymous is nice. Daddy Fucking Loves You is a great song, been a while since I checked it out.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2016, 07:30:55 AM »
Wow what a great pair of albums.

The Mantle would be top 10 if I didnt limit myself to one album per band. Absolutely love that sucker; nothing else quite like it
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2016, 09:53:36 AM »
for all intents and purposes, the mantle has like 3 black metal songs between 9 tracks but yeah  :lol
it's pretty good though, only got it last month
and that headspace album bizkit is sending me so i'll have any opinion on it eventually

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2016, 11:10:49 AM »
 :corn

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2016, 11:30:52 AM »
for all intents and purposes, the mantle has like 3 black metal songs between 9 tracks but yeah  :lol
it's pretty good though, only got it last month
and that headspace album bizkit is sending me so i'll have any opinion on it eventually

I replaced the disc with a pancake. Hah! Joke's on you

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #44 on: March 26, 2016, 11:38:11 AM »
Following.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #45 on: March 26, 2016, 01:05:52 PM »
Headspace - I Am Anonymous

It was a pretty alright pancake. A little stale and old though. Needed some syrup.
6/10

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #46 on: March 26, 2016, 02:37:31 PM »

I know, but that's still enough to scare some people off :lol 'atmospheric' would be a great word to describe that album.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #47 on: March 26, 2016, 02:53:17 PM »
I slightly prefer Ashes, but The Mantle is stunning all the same. Big :tup from me.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: Elite's top 50 albums v. - 3 Years Older: Post #3
« Reply #48 on: March 26, 2016, 03:03:22 PM »
Alight then, two more!

---

56. The Jimi Hendrix Experience – Are You Experienced (1967)

However much I disagree with all the sentiments in the world that Jimi Hendrix was the greatest guitar player ever to have lived, there is no denying his presence and insane legacy he left the world of popular music, even as of today. As a guitarist, there's no going around Hendrix. Much like you can't walk through a large modern city without seeing at least one McDonald's somewhere, it seems you get slapped in the face with Hendrix's alleged 'genius' every now and then, whether it be through hearing his music, or simply seeing his name mentioned once again on some guitar-related website or magazine. I don’t know whether it’s justified, but I think it is, even though Hendrix’s greatest fame came from live performances and not studio records. Why then, did I decide to include this album? It's got groove, Jimi Hendrix's fantastic guitar playing, his trademark vocals and is simply electrifying throughout. Yes, it does sound outdated and yes, Hendrix's technical abilities are far from what we're used to nowadays (though I doubt many of those guitarists could play Hendrix like he did), but look back in time and you'll realise this particular album was a masterpiece back then. Thank you Hendrix, and your legacy. I suppose you'll forever be the 'greatest guitar player ever', it's a shame you overdosed.

Recommended songs: Purple Haze, Manic Depression, Hey Joe

55. The Fall of Troy – Manipulator (2007)

The Fall of Troy was the first band I ever saw live. It was 2 weeks before my fifteenth birthday in 2007 and the band had just released their third studio album, ‘Manipulator’. I was a huge fan of the band and their previous album, as well as this band’s infamous ‘Ghostship Demos EP’ were my favourite thing to listen to. Although this is wildly different than anything else in the top 50, this band’s experimental nature set the tone for my prog-addiction later on. This is probably not even this band’s best effort (that would be ‘Phantom on the Horizon’), but it’s the album I listened to most for a long time. I guess I still know it by heart.

Recommended songs: Ex-creations, Semi-Fiction, The Dark Trail
Squ

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #49 on: March 26, 2016, 03:15:42 PM »
i will get a Fall of Troy album eventually.
probably not a jimi hendrix one tho

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #50 on: March 26, 2016, 03:28:15 PM »
I probably prefer Ladyland to Experienced by a hair, but there's a handful of songs on Ladyland I don't like, whereas I at least like everything on Experienced. My favourites would be Manic Depression, Red House, I Don't Live Today, and Third Stone. So generally, the more out there shit.

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #51 on: March 26, 2016, 03:36:43 PM »
Yeah, my recommended tracks are boring choices here. Not necessarily my favourites, but meant to give a taste of the album. The songs you name are all great ones though. I prefer AYE over Ladyland, because it's more consistent to me. Ladyland is a little weirder, whereas AYE contains a lot of 'hits'. I don't know, both are great in their own right.
Squ

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #52 on: March 26, 2016, 03:50:36 PM »
Yeah, I think Ladyland's best stuff is far better, but when I listen to it, I start with Voodoo Chile and then skip straight to Come On. It's all great from there, but it's not a good sign that I just cut all but one of the first six tracks. Mind you, that's only about 13 minutes of a 77 minute album.

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #53 on: March 27, 2016, 02:13:10 AM »
I didn't have enough time this morning to post the next two. I'm on the road now to visit relatives, but I'll be back tonight, so I can post the next two then. #54 is an album that has seen certain praise on DTF, #53 is somewhat of a cult classic. That's all for now :)
Squ

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #54 on: March 27, 2016, 04:02:04 AM »
There are a couple of good songs on that Hendrix album, but I'm hoping Electric Ladyland appears later on.   ;)

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #55 on: March 27, 2016, 09:27:54 AM »
A bit late to follow. Solid list so far though.

The only Fall of Troy album I've heard is Doppelgänger, which I enjoyed quite a bit. Will probably revisit that and give this one a listen.

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: Elite's top 50 albums v. - 3 Years Older: Post #4
« Reply #56 on: March 27, 2016, 10:58:25 AM »
There are a couple of good songs on that Hendrix album, but I'm hoping Electric Ladyland appears later on.   ;)

Since I'm doing one album per artist, I can confirm that it won't.

Here's two more though!

54. Neal Morse - ? (2005)

Spoiler: this will not be the last time Neal Morse makes an appearance on my list. The man is simply too good at creating music. This is however his only solo album on the list, following the one-album-per-artist rule I imposed on myself. 'Question Mark' (let’s just call it that for the remainder of this post) is a concept album with recurring themes throughout, just like Neal Morse likes it. I’m not all too familiar with all his other solo stuff, although I’ve heard it all at least once or twice (save for his Jesus-albums) and where Neal tends to overdo things a bit sometimes with proggy bombastics, on 'Question Mark' there is this perfect blend of accessible songs, packed in a great concept album. If I listen to this album, it’s always in one sitting, there aren’t really any real standout tracks, it’s all just really, really good.

Recommended songs: In the Fire, 12, Outside Looking In

53. Toxik – Think This (1989)

Okay, I lied when I said Metallica’s ‘Ride the Lightning’ was the greatest thrash metal album of all time. It’s this one. A strange album of which the songs are linked together by random audio fragments of tv-shows, but the songs themselves are absolutely stellar. For the time when this was released, as far as I can tell, this band shows a technicality that was unrivalled by the greats of thrash metal back then. This band is often dubbed as ‘progressive thrash metal’ and the way their songs and riffs are constructed definitely suggest that moniker is valid. Listen to Technical Arrogance (yes, the name is fitting) to hear what I mean. This band unfortunately never took off commercially I think and broke up after this album (only their second). There were reports of the band doing a third album, but that has been postponed to this year. We’ll see what it brings, at keast they brought this impressive effort way ahead of their time.

Recommended songs: Shotgun Logic, Machine Dream, Technical Arrogance
Squ

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #57 on: March 27, 2016, 10:59:10 AM »
i've literally never listened to neal morse, tbh  :lol

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #58 on: March 27, 2016, 11:00:14 AM »
Okay, well that's your loss then I guess :lol
Squ

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #59 on: March 27, 2016, 11:02:14 AM »
i will at some point. send him in my next roulette i dunno. apparently he's tagged as christian rock on rym?

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #60 on: March 27, 2016, 11:19:18 AM »
Lots of his solo albums have religeous themes and he has made some pure Christian Rock albums. I have never heard those, bit his progressive rock albums (like ?, Sola Scriptura or Momentum) are really good. They often contain religeous references as well, but that's not in an annoying way at all.
Squ

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #61 on: March 27, 2016, 11:29:48 AM »
I listen to a lot of Transatlantic, but I never really got into Neal Morse's solo music. Just doesn't click with me.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #62 on: March 27, 2016, 12:15:54 PM »
Following, naturally. Good picks so far!

Online Mladen

« Reply #63 on: March 27, 2016, 12:19:55 PM »
Question mark is very good.  :tup

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #64 on: March 27, 2016, 03:48:42 PM »
I listen to a lot of Transatlantic, but I never really got into Neal Morse's solo music. Just doesn't click with me.

That's weird, because I can surely hear the similarities.

Following, naturally. Good picks so far!

There's obviously more good picks coming :biggrin:

Question mark is very good.  :tup

Yes, yes it is!
Squ

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: Elite's top 50 albums v. - 3 Years Older: Post #5
« Reply #65 on: March 28, 2016, 01:38:39 AM »
52. Symphony X – V: The New Mythology Suite (2000)

For long I was more than satisfied with Symphony X’s ‘Paradise Lost’. I also had ‘The Odyssey’, but that one contained a couple of filler tracks and ‘The Divine Wings of Tragedy’ always left me wanting more due to the album’s relative bad production. I never checked out the band’s first two albums for a long time and for some reason I never got ‘V’ either. That turned out to be a mistake, because from the moment I finally got this album I realised that it would become my favourite Symphony X record. It's got everything I enjoyed from their previous material, but with the reltive heaviness of 'Paradise Lost', without becoming too metal. Symphony X have now lost their way to some extent (I am not a fan of their latest two albums, especially 'Iconoclast' was a huge disappointment). I think this is some sort of concept album, at least in the story on the album. There's not really any recurring themes or such, but there's a couple of filler interlude-tracks. The proper music tracks are all golden though and I'd say this album is a must for any progressive metal fan.

Recommended tracks: Communion and the Oracle, Evolution (The Grand Design), A Fool's Paradise

51. Seventh Wonder – Mercy Falls (2008)

After I saw Seventh Wonder live at ProgPower Europe 2011, I slowly started to discover their back catalogue. Although the band had just released ‘The Great Escape’ a year before, they played a lot of songs from their 2008 album ‘Mercy Falls’. It was through this album mainly that I discovered the band. ‘Mercy Falls’ is a concept album that tells a story of a comatose man who visits the fictional town Mercy Falls in his comatose state. Part of the album is also set in the real world, beside his hospital bed. The two stories intertwine at the end, when the reason he is actually in a coma is explained. The story is actually a little weird, and the album contains some (very bad) spoken word dialogue in some tracks, but overall the song-writing on this album is ridiculously strong. What I like about this album and about this band is that they write these wacky riffs and has the singer sing almost polymetrically over the backing. That last sentence only makes sense when you losten to the album, I guess. This is just a very strong progressive metal album that I have listened to countless times. I had to include it here.

Recommended songs: Unbreakable, Hide and Seek, A Day Away

---

And that concludes the 10 albums on the edge of the top 50. The general trend with the above 10 was that they're either albums that shaped my music tastes in some way, or albums that are very good, but failed to stay with me over time. I wanted to include them for how good they are, and that's why I did,mbut now it's time to start with the real top 50.
Squ

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #66 on: March 28, 2016, 01:44:09 AM »
Mercy Falls :tup
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #67 on: March 28, 2016, 02:38:12 AM »
I feel quite bad for placing it this low to be honest :lol
Squ

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #68 on: March 28, 2016, 02:51:51 AM »
This game is not for everyone
Like hide and seek but not as fun  :metal :metal

Been meaning to try Symphony X's V. I agree about The Odyssey, great album but definitely some stuff I consider filler.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: March 28, 2016, 03:05:28 AM »
Mercy Falls :tup

Incredible album, made my Top 30 I think. I'm not too big on A Day Away though, I consider it one of the weaker tracks, which means it's still pretty damn good.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.