Author Topic: Question about replaced hot water heater.  (Read 580 times)

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
Question about replaced hot water heater.
« on: March 22, 2016, 11:44:10 AM »
So our hot water heater ruptured and was replaced yesterday. I turned on the hot water and the normal gurgling/spitting from the faucet ensued, but it looked and smelled extremely soapy. I called the landlord and she wasn't sure, so she's calling the maintenance guys that replaced it.

Is it typical to clean the heaters before installation with soap? Do I need to worry about drinking some chemical?
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Re: Question about replaced hot water heater.
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2016, 11:46:50 AM »
Could just be a coating to prevent corrosion that needs to burn off or something. It's probably like when you fire up an electric heater for the first time. You get that really weird smell for a while.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2016, 12:10:07 PM »
if the water is already hot, why do you need to heat it?  amiright??
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2016, 12:12:45 PM »
I don't know the answer, but my first thought is what Chino said.  Hopefully, someone with some contracting/building experience (or someone who has had one replaced) will chime in.  But I would think you could just Google it and find some info.

EDIT:  Apparently, Googling "new water heater smell" reveals that this is a common problem.  LOTS of links.  Here is one:  https://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Eliminate-BAD-Smelling-Hot-Water/
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2016, 02:12:19 PM »
I will bet:  they turn the pilot off, close off the inlet, hook up a hose and drain it.  Followed by one or two 'flushes' by opening the inlet.  Once it is full and ready, run a 'mixture' of hot and cold water to all faucets to help flush those lines out.  I did this on my own last year after sediment deposits and brown water created air pockets in the (hot) water heater.  It did the trick, and of course removed the bad smell.

I will also bet that it was hooked up, briefly tested, and the maintenance crew was on their way immediately.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 02:21:30 PM by DragonAttack »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!