Author Topic: Anyone into cycling?  (Read 3814 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Anyone into cycling?
« on: March 21, 2016, 11:58:19 AM »
Anyone here like to ride?  Post you bike, your gear, what types of rides you like to do, etc.

Where I live happens to be a HUGE cycling town.  It seems like almost everybody rides, there are always tons of bikes on the street, and we have miles and miles of bike trails (there is a paved bike trail that gives me a 30-mile ride from my office to my house, with only having to be on surface streets less than a mile total).  I have wanted to get into it for quite awhile, but never pulled the trigger, in large part due to cost, not only for a good road bike, but for all the other gear you need to get started.  That changed last Fall when a good friend of mine who does a lot of riding, including lots of races, upgraded and gave me one of his old bikes.  I don't get to ride as often as I would like, but I am getting my feet wet and starting to really enjoy it.  And this past weekend, we got my wife a bike, so we will start riding together as often as we can.

I am currently riding a Cannondale CAAD9 with substantial upgrades.  It has a few thousand miles on it and has won a number of races, but is still in GREAT shape. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Anyone into cycling?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2016, 02:37:09 PM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2016, 02:40:13 PM »
:lol  Okay, fine.  Mods, lock thread, please.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2016, 04:37:01 PM »
Better?  :\
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 11:39:36 AM by Prog Snob »

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2016, 09:47:25 AM »
I prefer mountain biking in the woods as opposed to cycling on the road. I don't like being so close to cars.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2016, 09:53:32 AM »
I prefer mountain biking in the woods as opposed to cycling on the road. I don't like being so close to cars.

I hear you.  But, again, this is kind of a cycling town, so there are miles of paves trails that avoid traffic altogether, and even the surface streets tend to have wide bike lanes.  And cars are more generally aware of and more courteous toward cyclists since there are so many on the road.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2016, 09:56:09 AM »
I'm surprised our friends in Europe, specifically the Netherlands, haven't chimed in.  It seems everyone rides a bike there.  More bikes piled up at the bike racks than cars in the parking lot from my experience.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2016, 10:02:05 AM »
And thanks for taking an innocent thread and making it NSFW, Prog Snob.  Dick move.   :\

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2016, 10:08:34 AM »
On topic (thanks for the thread Bosk)

:metal

This is my bike, Giant TCR limited XL. Don't really know much about gear though, I love cycling but The Netherlands is too damn boring. So me and my girlfriend love taking them with us on holiday and cycle through the Italian alps (like last year), the French Central Massif (the year before) or the Pyrenees (this summer). I love the mountains and the view, and you're so much more part of the scenery when you cycle through it.
Apart from the holidays I think I ride it a 1000km a year, so not that much.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2016, 10:15:55 AM »
I love cycling, but Mexico City's infrastructure for bicycles is bad, bad bad. I went to Japan last year with my father and one of the highlights of that trip was renting a bike over there and cycling through little towns at the edge of the sea. Good times.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2016, 10:58:27 AM »
This is my bike, Giant TCR limited XL. Don't really know much about gear though, I love cycling but The Netherlands is too damn boring. So me and my girlfriend love taking them with us on holiday and cycle through the Italian alps (like last year), the French Central Massif (the year before) or the Pyrenees (this summer). I love the mountains and the view, and you're so much more part of the scenery when you cycle through it.
Apart from the holidays I think I ride it a 1000km a year, so not that much.

Nice.  I agree about being more "part of the scenery" when you ride.  That is one of the things I enjoy most about it--especially when I am on a trail so that I don't have to worry about cars, and I can put in my earbuds and enjoy the scenery and some good music.  That was actually one of the first experiences with listening to The Astonishing.  I did the 30-mile ride from work to home along the American River trail while listening to the album, and it instantly made me connect with the album more emotionally than I might have otherwise.  But even without the music, there is just something about riding along the river, or one of the creek trails, or through the hills that is so serene.

Those holidays of your sound amazing.  My wife really wants to get to Europe.  Neither of us have ever been.  I think it is still a few years off.  If we somehow end up going without the kids, I will want to keep what you mentioned in mind and try to plan to get some bikes and do some riding while there. 

Oh, and nice bike.  Is that a carbon frame?  Mine is aluminum, but is one of the nicest aluminum frame bikes out there.  No desire to upgrade at this point.  First, the bike was a gift and I have not had it long.  Can't complain at all when the bike is free and it is this nice.  Second, unless I start riding a LOT or get into racing, the marginal difference in performance for carbon is not worth the big step up in price to me.

I love cycling, but Mexico City's infrastructure for bicycles is bad, bad bad. I went to Japan last year with my father and one of the highlights of that trip was renting a bike over there and cycling through little towns at the edge of the sea. Good times.

Bummer about Mexico City.  I feel your pain.  That Japan trip sounds really cool.

Offline jasc15

• TTAL: Yeti welcome
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2016, 11:41:26 AM »
I commute to work by bike, but I don't ride recreationally.  I have a Giant Escape 1 with a headlight and taillight for commuting during the dark winter months.  Other than that, the only other gear I have is a reflective vest for the same reason.  My area is very much not bike friendly.  A few months ago I was hit by a car who didn't stop at a stop sign, and apparently didn't see me despite my flashing 420 lumen headlight pointing at him.  Fortunately it was more of a merging collision, so I hit his door as he was turning parallel to my direction.  I fell and watched him hesitate, then continue driving.  I jumped back on the bike and sped to catch up to him, probably putting myself in more danger with the rest of the traffic on that road.  He pulled onto a  side road and stopped half way down the block where I confronted him and yelled at him for a few minutes.  After my adrenaline came down a bit, I didn't really know what else to do, and I left.  I suppose I should have filed a police report.  I wasn't hurt and the bike didn't even have a scratch, but I was pretty shook up.  It wasn't my fault, but fault doesn't really matter when you are hurt.  I could have avoided it by stopping first, but that would mean stopping at every intersection.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2016, 11:50:10 AM »
Wow, that's messed up man.  That's a hit and run.  Awesome you caught up with him though.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2016, 11:56:30 AM »
Definitely messed up, but I am not sure why cyclists feel the need to ride on regular roads all the time now. I know they have the right to do it, and I am someone who will always give them their space, but there are a lot of dicks out there, and all it takes is one asswipe to run you off the road and you could get seriously hurt or worse. Not worth it, IMO, especially when many cities have bike trails and whatnot that are perfect for riding.

Anyway, I still have my bike, but never ride these days; I keep meaning to get back in the habit.  My younger brother, who is 39, is a cycling maniac.  He rides several times a week, and usually does anywhere from 30 to 60 miles each time.

Offline jasc15

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2016, 12:03:27 PM »
Definitely messed up, but I am not sure why cyclists feel the need to ride on regular roads all the time now.
Because that is where bicycles are supposed to ride.  This is law in all 50 states.  In my state, New Jersey:

Q.    Where do I ride if there is no shoulder or bike lane and the travel lane is too narrow to share?

A.    The best approach is to position yourself several feet out into the lane where motorists will see you and not be invited to squeeze by in the same lane. On narrower lanes, ten feet or less, a bicyclist might actually "take the lane", i.e., position themselves at or near the center of the lane. This enables them to be seen by overtaking vehicles and gives the message that the overtaking vehicle must move left to pass when it is safe to do so.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2016, 12:06:41 PM »
Definitely messed up, but I am not sure why cyclists feel the need to ride on regular roads all the time now.
Because that is where bicycles are supposed to ride.  This is law in all 50 states.

I understand that.  I even said, "I know they have the right to do it, and I am someone who will always give them their space..."

I just think it is playing with fire, considering how awful the average motorist is and how many dicks there are out there.

Offline jasc15

« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2016, 01:18:23 PM »
Sorry Kev, I read your post too quickly.  I know its a bit of a risk to rely on folks like you who would give cyclists plenty of room, but there isn't much choice otherwise except taking the whole lane, which I know really gets drivers pissed.  I do take the whole lane if the traffic is slow enough for me to keep up and I have to make a left turn, or to pass a bus at a bus stop.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2016, 01:59:01 PM »
Nice.  I agree about being more "part of the scenery" when you ride.  That is one of the things I enjoy most about it--especially when I am on a trail so that I don't have to worry about cars, and I can put in my earbuds and enjoy the scenery and some good music.  That was actually one of the first experiences with listening to The Astonishing.  I did the 30-mile ride from work to home along the American River trail while listening to the album, and it instantly made me connect with the album more emotionally than I might have otherwise.  But even without the music, there is just something about riding along the river, or one of the creek trails, or through the hills that is so serene.

Those holidays of your sound amazing.  My wife really wants to get to Europe.  Neither of us have ever been.  I think it is still a few years off.  If we somehow end up going without the kids, I will want to keep what you mentioned in mind and try to plan to get some bikes and do some riding while there. 

Oh, and nice bike.  Is that a carbon frame?  Mine is aluminum, but is one of the nicest aluminum frame bikes out there.  No desire to upgrade at this point.  First, the bike was a gift and I have not had it long.  Can't complain at all when the bike is free and it is this nice.  Second, unless I start riding a LOT or get into racing, the marginal difference in performance for carbon is not worth the big step up in price to me.

First of all: I love listening to music when I ride, but I normally don't really dare to. I don't have any good earbuds, so I just hear wind noise most of all. I do have a great headphone, but that would mean riding without a helmet, and hearing stories like Jasc's, I don't want to do that. I try to find nice bike paths, but even then I need to get out of the city first.

If you plan on visiting Europe, send me a message, I'd love to help, and I've had some great experiences, mainly in Italy. Stuff like this is great, hilly, but no mountains, and a lovely lake to plunge in after a hot ride. This is the Italian lake district, this one specific is Lago d'Orta:

I can't afford a carbon frame at the moment, this one is good. It was a second hand, for just 600 euros, so that's a decent price I guess. Maybe one day I'll upgrade, but I think I'll have to ride more than I do now before I'll spend more.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2016, 02:14:59 PM »
That looks beautiful.  Assuming this forum still exists and you are still a member at such time as I ever actually get to Europe, I will definitely take you up on your offer for info.  That would be really cool. 

I will try to post a pic of my bike later, but this is basically it (minus the upgrades) in the actual color that mine is:  https://fitnessthroughtravel.com/products/Cannondale_CAAD9_5.htm  My wife just called and said she is picking it up from the shop that is tuning it up, and she wants to ride if I get home from work early enough.  :caffeine:

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2016, 02:21:41 PM »
I have a motorcycle ? May i pwease join your thread ?  :laugh:

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2016, 02:32:16 PM »
I have a motorcycle ? May i pwease join your thread ?  :laugh:

I don't care, as long as we don't get TOO far off topic and only talking motorbikes.  But I imagine that there could likely be some good crossover discussion about places to ride and things like that, so...okay.

I have a Giant Escape 1 with a headlight and taillight for commuting during the dark winter months. 

Giant makes a good bike.  My wife tried a few different brands/models, and ended up with this one:  https://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bikes/model/avail.3/22223/83973/

Not too flashy, but a decent entry-level road bike.  She briefly considered a similar model, but with better components and carbon frame that was 2 1/2 times the cost.  If she really wanted it, I would have been all for it.  But she is so cautious about spending that I knew if she did, she would have been up all night with buyer's remorse and would have taken it back the next day and never bought another bike again.  :lol

Offline jasc15

« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2016, 02:32:25 PM »
Someone on another forum I visit posted a poto album of a cycling trip around the Italian lakes district.

https://www.biketouringtips.com/showTipComments.php?tipID=2230

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2016, 02:48:48 PM »
I'm surprised our friends in Europe, specifically the Netherlands, haven't chimed in.  It seems everyone rides a bike there.  More bikes piled up at the bike racks than cars in the parking lot from my experience.
Well, for me it's basically a substitute for buses and tubes, I don't bike to fancy places or anything, I have a trainwreck of a bike that needs fixing every other week :lol
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2016, 02:55:44 PM »
Well, for me it's basically a substitute for buses and tubes, I don't bike to fancy places or anything, I have a trainwreck of a bike that needs fixing every other week :lol

It's also part of culture it seems.  In Amsterdam there are bike lanes next to the roads and paths it seems everywhere you go.  Where I live, in New Jersey, I can't recall seeing anyone biking.  The roads aren't designed for it for one, and things are spaced out enough that biking to do daily things just isn't a realistic option. 

I do envy the way of biking in Amsterdam because it's a legit option, it's not like a "healthy way" or "cheap way" it's become a "best way" sometimes. 

Granted I am overweight and haven't rode a real bike in ages.  I do have an exercise bike that needs to be used more.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2016, 03:04:24 PM »
Totally, most big cities in The Netherlands even have Bike Couriers. Even delivering parcels is quicker by bike then by car. And I love the fact that it's both healthy and good for the environment too.

Someone on another forum I visit posted a poto album of a cycling trip around the Italian lakes district.

https://www.biketouringtips.com/showTipComments.php?tipID=2230

Seeing that makes me want to do a biking holiday too. I just can't stand driving uphill while carrying a lot of weight. I weigh next to nothing myself, so, relatively speaking, I have to carry so much weight up the mountain. I know of trails where there's a campsite at the end of every stage. Maybe there's some luggage delivery service  :lol

Offline jasc15

« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2016, 07:20:19 AM »
I have about $75 left on an REI gift card that I need to burn.  I figure I will get some bike gear.  Maybe tools, accessories, etc.  Any recommendations?

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2016, 12:14:55 PM »
Right now I have two single-speeds, but I'm planning on selling one of the two. I want to buy a bike that I can take on long rides; the single-speed I use mostly is pretty heavy.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2016, 12:35:01 PM »
Right now I have two single-speeds, but I'm planning on selling one of the two. I want to buy a bike that I can take on long rides; the single-speed I use mostly is pretty heavy.
Yeah, for a long-distance road bike, lighter is better.  Such a pricey hobby though.  Do you know what you are looking for?  What is your budget?

I have about $75 left on an REI gift card that I need to burn.  I figure I will get some bike gear.  Maybe tools, accessories, etc.  Any recommendations?
Hard to say.  It depends considerably on what you already have and what your needs are.  I love REI, but I generally don't by cycling stuff there.  But a couple of things that come to mind, if you aren't already set in this department:  An under-saddle tool bag and basic tools (all-purpose tool, plastic tire tool, CO2 pump, a couple of CO2 cartridges, extra tube, flat repair kit); brightly-colored cyclist windbreaker (for when you need a bit more than the vest; but if you commute, I suspect you may not need it, as you probably wear a regular jacket when needed and put the vest over that, and don't need the back pockets that a cycling jacket has because you probably have a backpack).

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2016, 12:37:03 PM »
I have an old mountain bike, I'm not really a cyclist but just someone who knows how to ride a cycle.

In 2014 I was unemployed for all spring and summer so rather than sitting on my ass all day long I took to riding again, after a decade or so of having the bike in my cellar, and so I got used again to it and now whenever it's warm enough and I have nothing else to do I go for a ride.

I live in a small place that borders directly Milan, so I have two options: take the road that goes into the hinterland, or the one that leads into Milan. Both follow the channels, "Navigli", that flow all around the town (back in the day Milan had way more open channels than now, most are interred). There's a new skyscraper filled zone in Milan and I can reach that by bike, it's cool to ride along the channel, make a thankfully short ride across a long avenue and then being in a heavily cycle-friendly zone while strolling around modern squares beneath skyscrapers.

Here's to give you a general idea of the places I pass by with my bike:

https://www.google.com/search?q=naviglio+martesana&safe=off&espv=2&biw=1920&bih=967&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjt18S4vdzLAhXGuw8KHUwXD34Q_AUICCgD
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2016, 12:46:25 PM »
Yeah, for a long-distance road bike, lighter is better.  Such a pricey hobby though.  Do you know what you are looking for?  What is your budget?

Frankly, having lost one pretty expensive bike to theft already, I'm mentally eyeballing ~$500-$700. Absolute max $1k.
The real problem is, the usual Boston winters wreak complete havoc on the streets, so any bike I want has to withstand the occasional rocky terrain. A proper street bike would never work, I'd be popping spokes like mad. A friend of mine built a hybrid himself, with a light frame but mountain bike rims, but I think that cost him a good chunk too.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline jasc15

« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2016, 01:46:59 PM »
Hard to say.  It depends considerably on what you already have and what your needs are.  I love REI, but I generally don't by cycling stuff there.  But a couple of things that come to mind, if you aren't already set in this department:  An under-saddle tool bag and basic tools (all-purpose tool, plastic tire tool, CO2 pump, a couple of CO2 cartridges, extra tube, flat repair kit); brightly-colored cyclist windbreaker (for when you need a bit more than the vest; but if you commute, I suspect you may not need it, as you probably wear a regular jacket when needed and put the vest over that, and don't need the back pockets that a cycling jacket has because you probably have a backpack).
Yeah, I generally buy bike stuff elsewhere, but there is nothing else I need there so I might as well get some bike stuff.  My old bike (stolen) had a saddle bag with a spare tube, 3 allen wrenches for the 3 most common bolt sizes on the bike, and some tire bead levers.  I live close enough to walk to work, so even if I got a flat I would just walk home rather than replace it roadside (which happened a few weeks ago).  So the flat repair kit is not really useful to me, but it would be nice insurance for the rare long trip, and I don't really need anything else.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2016, 08:26:05 AM »
Managed to get in 65.5 miles yesterday.  That was more than double my previous longest ride.  Overall, felt good.  But I majorly hit a wall at about 50 miles in that made the last 15 pretty hard going.  Looking back, part of the problem was that my calorie intake was inadequate for that distance.  But overall, I still really enjoyed it.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2016, 08:35:43 AM »

It's also part of culture it seems.  In Amsterdam there are bike lanes next to the roads and paths it seems everywhere you go.  Where I live, in New Jersey, I can't recall seeing anyone biking.  The roads aren't designed for it for one, and things are spaced out enough that biking to do daily things just isn't a realistic option. 

I do envy the way of biking in Amsterdam because it's a legit option, it's not like a "healthy way" or "cheap way" it's become a "best way" sometimes. 

Granted I am overweight and haven't rode a real bike in ages.  I do have an exercise bike that needs to be used more.

Yeah, it's really essential to have your bike here - hell, there's been times where we went through the MacDonalds drive-through with our bikes :lol, that kinda stuff. Kinda funny seeing as in most cultures it's a way of exercise and losing weight, here it has become my "lazy" way of traveling short (<30 minutes) distances.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2016, 08:59:07 AM »
So I biked to and from work for a year. On a shitty ass Wal-Mart bike... does that count? :lol

Seriously though... If I had the money and I was working a job with a late enough start that made it doable, I'd LOVE to bike to and from work again. Also would be more doable if my town was more bike friendly. I had WAY too many close calls when I was on my bike. Especially at night. Which is funny because I lit myself up like a freakin Christmas tree at night.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2016, 09:44:58 AM »
I love me some cycling. I used to compete in Ironman Triathlons, but my road bike mostly just collects dust since I got into mountain biking a few years ago  :)
I live in a city with a huge river and river valley, so there are tons of well maintained mountain biking trails zig zagging throughout the city, up and down the river bank forests. Also helps that I'm a 3 1/2 hour drive to the Rockies for when I feel like some intense riding.

Road Bike: Trek ZR 2100, with a few minor upgrades and aero bars
Mountain Bike: Norco Charger 7.3