Author Topic: The Concert Thread: Attended or Upcoming  (Read 2059 times)

Offline Sir Walrus Cauliflower

The Concert Thread: Attended or Upcoming
« on: March 20, 2016, 12:22:25 PM »
Well I used the search feature and didn't see a thread like this, so I apologize if there is. I noticed there isn't a thread dedicated to concerts, either recently attended or upcoming, so I figured I would make on.

I've been to a couple shows so far this year. Early in February me and a few friends went to see Silent Planet in Lawrence. They actually put on a great show. And it was a small venue which I like, because we talked to the members while they were playing pool in the front of the bar an hour before the show started. They were all really nice guys

Thursday night me and a couple friends went to see Bad Omens (they were alright), Erra, After The Burial, Veil of Maya, and Born of Osiris at the Granada in Lawrence. The rest put on a great show. Veil of Maya's vocalist was sick, but they performed an instrumental set, which was disappointing since they were the band I was most pumped to see (I'd never seen any of the before). It was still a great show though. I didn't get in the pit because that's not my thing at all.

Tonight My gf, 3 friends, and me are going to see Strawberry/Polyphia/Chon in Lawrence again. Definitely gonna be fun to see some of Polyphia's new material live.

I feel strangely honored to be following up a post from Sir Walrus Cauliflower.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
Re: The Concert Thread: Attended or Upcoming
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2016, 12:39:41 PM »
I've been thinking about a thread like this myself, most of the times it's discussed in the threads dedicated to those bands but not always.

The two concerts I've already planned this year are Haken (got tickets) and BTBAM + Protest the Hero (no tickets yet). Notfamiliar enough with BTBAM yet but I'll fix that by the time I go there. PtH's new EP has just been concluded and while it's not their best, some songs are really great (Caravan/Harbinger most of all)

Furthermore, I've seen Pendulum numerous times after the split-up where it was only one of the original members playing songs for a DJ Set, but now that they're reuniting I'm hoping to really see them live if they come to my country.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2016, 12:46:38 PM »
I've had a pretty good start to the year. So far I've seen Coheed and Cambria supported by Glassjaw. Massive Attack. The Dear Hunter and finally Machine Head. I'm hoping to get tickets to see Haken in May as I've just recently started to get into them big style!!

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2016, 12:55:17 PM »
Oh that's right you already saw MH, did they play the new song? And how awesome was the breakdown?
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2016, 12:55:47 PM »
This year, I only saw Steven Wilson and he was great. I've got tickets for two upcoming concerts, Avantasia at April 6th and Nightwish at May 20th. Obviously I'm looking forward to both. Last time I saw Avantasia in 2013, they've put up a great show and now they've got Jorn Lande on tour so this is bound to be amazing. Nightwish, well, I skipped their gig in 2011 (or was it 2012?) because I was underwhelmed by Imaginaerum (and now I think it's their second best album), and no way I'm skipping them now, even though their show is expensive as hell. Floor Jansen + Nightwish = awesome.

In fact, Nightwish tickets are as expensive as Iron Maiden tickets, and while Iron Maiden is playing in Russia this summer, I'm still thinking about it. While I have all their albums, I'm only a casual fan, and with the soaring ticket prices I think I'll skip the show, but I'm not sure yet. I'm also thinking about seeing Amaranthe this autumn. I'm only a casual fan again, but I guess if my friends will go, I might go see the band too.

Regarding my previous concerts, I've got two to ramble about. The Theater Equation show last year was absolutely fantastic and awesome - if you're a fan of Ayreon, you should buy the upcoming DVD without a second thought, I know I will buy a few copies myself to share them with people who are metalheads but aren't into Ayreon - and the second most awesome gig for me was An Evening with Jon Lord in April 2011. A magnificent night, first act was his Sarabande Suite with orchestra, and the second act featured some of his best Deep Purple songs / solo work. He passed away next year, but I'm so glad I was able to witness his musical brilliance live.

Thinking about that, Avantasia gig is only two and a half weeks away. I guess I'll start learning the lyrics for new songs tomorrow!
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Sir Walrus Cauliflower

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2016, 01:08:15 PM »
The two concerts I've already planned this year are Haken (got tickets) and BTBAM + Protest the Hero (no tickets yet). Notfamiliar enough with BTBAM yet but I'll fix that by the time I go there. PtH's new EP has just been concluded and while it's not their best, some songs are really great (Caravan/Harbinger most of all)
Both shows I've been to this year I was not very familiar with the discography. I'd heard some stuff, but not all of it. It was actually kind of a fun way to experience the show. Hearing new stuff for the first time live actually was cool for me. Normally I try to be completely familiar with the music first though. And for whatever reason, seeing a band live actually is a good way for me to get into them.

I've had a pretty good start to the year. So far I've seen Coheed and Cambria supported by Glassjaw. Massive Attack. The Dear Hunter and finally Machine Head. I'm hoping to get tickets to see Haken in May as I've just recently started to get into them big style!!
I'm really Jealous. Coheed isn't coming to KC soon as far as I know, and I missed The Dear Hunter somehow when they were in Lawrence last Sept. Definitely two bands I want so see

Regarding my previous concerts, I've got two to ramble about. The Theater Equation show last year was absolutely fantastic and awesome - if you're a fan of Ayreon, you should buy the upcoming DVD without a second thought, I know I will buy a few copies myself to share them with people who are metalheads but aren't into Ayreon - and the second most awesome gig for me was An Evening with Jon Lord in April 2011. A magnificent night, first act was his Sarabande Suite with orchestra, and the second act featured some of his best Deep Purple songs / solo work. He passed away next year, but I'm so glad I was able to witness his musical brilliance live.

Thinking about that, Avantasia gig is only two and a half weeks away. I guess I'll start learning the lyrics for new songs tomorrow!
For whatever reason I just can't get into Ayreon. Regardless both of those shows would've been so cool to see
I feel strangely honored to be following up a post from Sir Walrus Cauliflower.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2016, 01:11:06 PM »
I'm with ya, I only knew 2 Gojira songs when I saw them live, still one of my favorite shows. Might even do that with BTBAM aswell

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2016, 01:13:52 PM »

For whatever reason I just can't get into Ayreon. Regardless both of those shows would've been so cool to see

You might still want to check it out on YouTube or wherever it'll show up. I visited this show with two friends who weren't into Ayreon and thought The Human Equation was "just alright", and after the show they were floored, thinking it was one of the best things ever. Of course, it's one thing to actually witness the show, and to watch the DVD could be a whole another story, but still... that was quite a one-time event.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2016, 01:28:02 PM »
Bad year for me so far :-\ I only saw two local bands.
Next month I'll probably see Ensiferum + Fleshgod Apocalypse, in June Slayer + Anthrax and in July Iron Maiden (but I'm not 100% sure, they are not coming in capital this time). Also, I'm not too excited in seeing any of those bands, hope there will be some other bands confirmed soon.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2016, 01:29:27 PM »
Oh that's right you already saw MH, did they play the new song? And how awesome was the breakdown?

I didn't even know that they were playing any new songs live?? But no, they didn't play their new song.

I've really got my fingers crossed that  Devin Townsend will announce a UK tour this year, that would be my highlight of the year I think, although The Dear Hunter actually put on one of the best live performances I've ever witnessed.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2016, 01:30:04 PM »
Ensiferum is a fun live band. I don't even like growls but I enjoyed their gig a lot.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2016, 01:34:36 PM »
Ensiferum is a fun live band. I don't even like growls but I enjoyed their gig a lot.
I saw them three years ago and it was one of the best shows I attended. I don't know will two of my friends go or not and I don't want to go alone. If they decide to go then I'll probably get more excited :D also, I would like if they played more older songs but they're promoting their newest and I'm not biggest fan of it (even though it's slowly growing on me).

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2016, 01:49:06 PM »
Next month I'll probably see Ensiferum + Fleshgod Apocalypse, in June Slayer + Anthrax and in July Iron Maiden (but I'm not 100% sure, they are not coming in capital this time). Also, I'm not too excited in seeing any of those bands, hope there will be some other bands confirmed soon.

A friend of mine recently recommended Fleshgod Apocalypse. I've given them a listen and they remind me of Dimmu Borgir (who I love). He also recommended The Faceless to me. I really liked both so will be adding to my list of bands to seriously check out.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2016, 01:54:27 PM »

A friend of mine recently recommended Fleshgod Apocalypse. I've given them a listen and they remind me of Dimmu Borgir (who I love). He also recommended The Faceless to me. I really liked both so will be adding to my list of bands to seriously check out.
I'm going to see Ensiferum but they are probably great live, too. Not into that kind of music that much anymore so I didn't check their newest. But I know their album Agony from 2011, it's cool.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2016, 02:10:13 PM »
I went to the Gilmour gig last December and it was fantastic  :hefdaddy

Now finally seeing SW this Tuesday  :metal

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2016, 02:16:21 PM »
So far I have two festivals planned both in august, really looking forward to that month,
-Lowlands, going with a large group of friends so should be great, also Muse, Sigur Ros and Philip Glass :azn:
-Wacken, Iron Maiden and Blind Guardian and a lot more

Steven Wilson is really great live, I've seen him twice so far, it was really magical. I really love the small improvisations in instrumental parts and solo's and such.
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2016, 02:23:13 PM »
Ive only been able to attend a few so far.

Judas priest with Thin Lizzy and Black label society: My first and still my favorite concert so far. Priest played an awesome 2 and a half hour set.
Black sabbath on the 13 tour: Nice 2 hour set with a pretty good performace by oz.
Dream theater at the boston opera house:   :metal
The Scorpions with Queensryche: nice  set by the scorps but a bit too ballad heavy in the middle.
Bring Me the horizion: my friend won free tickets and needed someone to go. They arent really my thing but I will admit they put on a good show.
King Diamond: This was a fantastic show. it was a bit on the short side but I got to see all of Abigail so I did not mind.
The Trans Siberian Orchestra: Been wanting to see them for years.

Most recently I saw The Who: Great show but was not really into the opener.

The only upcoming Show that I'm confirmed going to right now is Black Sabbath when they come around in august.

Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2016, 02:28:57 PM »
King Diamond: This was a fantastic show. it was a bit on the short side but I got to see all of Abigail so I did not mind.

I'd really love to see King Diamond live  :metal

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2016, 02:37:08 PM »
So far I have two festivals planned both in august, really looking forward to that month,
-Lowlands, going with a large group of friends so should be great, also Muse, Sigur Ros and Philip Glass :azn:
-Wacken, Iron Maiden and Blind Guardian and a lot more

Noice :) that's probably a dream of every metal fan

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2016, 02:43:34 PM »
I attended an overpriced and (unfortunately) overhyped Tool concert earlier this year, and that's about it. Not much else planned for me except for ProgPower USA in September. Hopefully I'll get some more in the summer and fall.

My two favorites last year were Steven Wilson (second time I've seen him, and he was really great in both, but this more recent one takes the cake) and Glen Hansard.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2016, 02:45:27 PM »
Seeing DT in April and going to RoSfest in May.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2016, 02:46:23 PM »

I'd really love to see King Diamond live  :metal

If you get the opportunity go. He sounds fantastic.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline krands85

« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2016, 03:08:48 PM »
There usually is a thread for this sort of thing each year. 2016 version is here

Anyway, so far this year I've only been to 2 gigs - Symphony X (with Myrath supporting) in Glasgow last month, then DT at the Palladium in London a few days later.

Also going to see Maybeshewill in Glasgow in a few weeks on their final tour and will likely go to see Frost* in Edinburgh in June.

There are a few others that I ordinarily would go to, but annoying health issues mean that it's a bit of a problem going to a gig and being on my feet for 3hours+  :-\ It already caused me to skip seeing Tesseract last month despite having a ticket. So I decided to limit my concert-going to bands I really want to see (i'd already seen Tesseract before thankfully).
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2016, 09:11:50 PM »
Mm, next month Guillermo Cides plays in a cinema/theater in my city; he is a 'Chapman Stick' musician/expert. Apparently he is one of the most popular 'stickist' - his resumé includes opening/shared shows with Emerson Lake & Palmer, Roger Hodgson, Rick Wakeman, John Wetton, etc. From what I've read, he is some sort of 'stickist' Robert Fripp from Argentina. The tickets are not that expensive (around $8), so I think I'll probably go.

This is Guillermo with Ian Anderson some time ago.

As for recent ones, I think the last one I went to was a small show by Matías Barry, a guy I used to play with when we were younger. He is an amazing guitarist/singer. Nowadays he plays folklore and acoustic pop, but he used to have a prog band in his teens, and they included parts of "Octavarium" (like the intro to 'Full Circle') in their sets. Really cool! Anyway, I'm leaving two links here, for him to reach a new audience :P

Che qué bueno lo tuyo! ¿Sos de Buenos Aires/La Plata?

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2016, 09:38:50 PM »
Che qué bueno lo tuyo! ¿Sos de Buenos Aires/La Plata?
No, de Córdoba :P

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2016, 10:00:16 PM »
Ah, pero viajás bastante parece. Muy bien! Bueno, que la pases bien el Martes.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2016, 11:48:00 AM »
Going to see Fairport Convention with my Dad a week on Friday  :hat

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2016, 12:03:51 AM »
So far this year I've seen Dream Theater, and then THE WHO all in the same week. Both shows were equally as spectacular!!!
 I plan on seeing BOSTON in Seattle July 1st, then JOURNEY and The Doobie Brothers in August.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 06:23:53 AM by Architeuthis »
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2016, 04:06:37 AM »
Seen Symphony X, Myrath and DT so far this year, going to see Iron Maiden for the first time in my life on june 8th!  :metal
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....