Author Topic: Bolsters™ The Roulette, v2 ★ THE CONCLUSION ★  (Read 109682 times)

Offline Tyrias

Re: Bolsters™ The Roulette, v2 ★ R6 Results are IN ★
« Reply #1120 on: April 26, 2016, 04:09:48 AM »
Not even a comment on that awesome last 2 minutes?  :sadpanda:

Still, glad you liked it enough for a pink at least.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1121 on: April 26, 2016, 04:10:22 AM »
Oh, and also, I thought amethyst star was for pre-1979 songs. This song is from 1980 so I figured it won't qualify.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #1122 on: April 26, 2016, 04:13:52 AM »
Not even a comment on that awesome last 2 minutes?  :sadpanda:
They were pretty good. :P

Oh, and also, I thought amethyst star was for pre-1979 songs. This song is from 1980 so I figured it won't qualify.
I thought it was from 1979 because that's what it says according to Spotify. However now that I look it up properly I see that it is indeed from 1980. So, Spotify is apparently wrong.

From now on I'll look for a more accurate source to reference when people send me amethyst songs. ::)

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1123 on: April 26, 2016, 04:15:21 AM »
Anyway, I'm waiting for the very last round to make a move for my last bonus star. I figure I'm not the only one.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1124 on: April 26, 2016, 04:15:28 AM »
I have NFI what to send  :lol     Will have a listen to the songs of the round/read comments in the morning , cross check against what I have on me and see if anything clicks.  Will send something tomorrow arvo.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1125 on: April 26, 2016, 04:18:42 AM »
If The Reign of Kindo wasn't banned I would most likely send something off Play With Fire because that's literally what I'm doing this entire roulette :rollin

Need to think hard about this one.. there's a chance I won't go for the remaining bonus stars even, it's probably a big waste, but I don't have anything good that fits these teams honestly, the ones I do have could cost me the competition so I just hope I can keep that pearl star here.

Glad you kinda liked Novembre :biggrin:
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1126 on: April 26, 2016, 04:24:22 AM »
Good idea ToN, leave those bonus stars alone. Though I suppose you can send for a garnet star, I have no interest in those and the category already has a pearl.  :biggrin:

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #1127 on: April 26, 2016, 04:28:30 AM »
Good idea ToN, leave those bonus stars alone. Though I suppose you can send for a garnet star, I have no interest in those and the category already has a pearl.  :biggrin:

I think I'll be stealing your pearl away next round though, or at least try.

The good news is I'm probably getting coal this round. Figured that with the current standings (or at least how I interpret them), I don't have much to lose. I don't really care if I'm second or last. So, big risk incoming.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1128 on: April 26, 2016, 04:28:50 AM »
Well I didn't kinda like it, I did like it. That's why you got a pink star. Though if I were to rank all of the pink stars (and no, I'm not going to actually do it :lol) it would probably be second or third from the bottom. Since I liked Verde more than one or two song(s) I previously gave pink to, it made sense to give you one aswell.

By the way if anyone has questions about the stars, I did say I would be more forthcoming during the final two rounds. So long as my answer doesn't explicitly reveal the values of any stars, I will more than likely answer it (or maybe not, but there's only one way to find out :biggrin:)

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #1129 on: April 26, 2016, 04:29:14 AM »
Wow, I didn't expect a gold star, sweet :metal
For three rounds now I have this one band for last bonus star but I'm not sure would you like it at all (there are no similar bands on the banned list). I guess it's one of those love 'em or hate 'em bands.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1130 on: April 26, 2016, 04:32:07 AM »
Do I look like I have any "world music" at all? :lol Or pre 1980's music even.

The only star I'm considering is the instrumentals one, and maaaybe orchestra but the one I planned for that one is way too risky, so at worst I'll hold on to it until the last round.

Well I didn't kinda like it, I did like it. That's why you got a pink star. Though if I were to rank all of the pink stars (and no, I'm not going to actually do it :lol) it would probably be second or third from the bottom. Since I liked Verde more than one or two song(s) I previously gave pink to, it made sense to give you one aswell.

By the way if anyone has questions about the stars, I did say I would be more forthcoming during the final two rounds. So long as my answer doesn't explicitly reveal the values of any stars, I will more than likely answer it (or maybe not, but there's only one way to find out :biggrin:)
Ah cool, I hope now that I got my first pink I'm tied with Evermind for first place.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #1131 on: April 26, 2016, 04:34:54 AM »
So, questions:
Is a diamond or a pearl star worth more?
How do bonus stars lose their value when more participants send for that star? Is it "points awarded=total points/number of songs in that category" or something else?

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1132 on: April 26, 2016, 04:35:30 AM »

I think I'll be stealing your pearl away next round though, or at least try.

Not cool, man, not cool at all. You know the more people are in the bonus category, the less points you get from the bonus stars, right? Maybe try peridot or emerald?

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1133 on: April 26, 2016, 04:40:46 AM »
Is a diamond or a pearl star worth more?
Diamond is worth more than pearl.

How do bonus stars lose their value when more participants send for that star? Is it "points awarded=total points/number of songs in that category" or something else?
I made a table that tells me what the stars are supposed to be worth when a particular number of people (from 1-10) have acquired it.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1134 on: April 26, 2016, 04:45:54 AM »
Is silver + pink star worth more than pearl? :D

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1135 on: April 26, 2016, 04:59:04 AM »
Is silver + pink star worth more than pearl? :D
If you're asking if the addition of the point values of those two stars is worth more than a single pearl, the answer is yes. Definitely. :lol

If you are asking if either of those two stars is worth more than pearl, the answer is that both of them are.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1136 on: April 26, 2016, 05:07:40 AM »
I was asking the former. Huh, this is intriguing. Didn't expect pearl to cost that low. Less than pink... Okay folks, go ahead and steal my pearl, I'll just get two remaining diamonds I guess.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1137 on: April 26, 2016, 05:18:10 AM »
I was asking the former. Huh, this is intriguing. Didn't expect pearl to cost that low. Less than pink... Okay folks, go ahead and steal my pearl, I'll just get two remaining diamonds I guess.
Well look at it this way: Songs that have pearl stars attached are probably worth quite a bit already - diamond or gold usually for the song in the round, then the bonus star aswell. If pearl was worth too much it would be very unbalanced.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1138 on: April 26, 2016, 05:24:27 AM »
Yeah, I get it.

Got another good question that won't reveal basically anything - are all the star values integers or did you use decimals too? If it's the latter, are the decimal numbers related only to bonus stars?

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1139 on: April 26, 2016, 05:31:39 AM »
are all the star values integers or did you use decimals too?
Every star has a whole number as its value. This includes the changing values of the bonus stars.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1140 on: April 26, 2016, 05:33:21 AM »
Hmm, are there any identical star values then?

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1141 on: April 26, 2016, 05:35:21 AM »
Hmm, are there any identical star values then?
Possibly.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1142 on: April 26, 2016, 05:36:38 AM »
Here's a maybe-not-so-important question:

If one of us goes out in the most embarassing way possible: three coal star, will they get a mention during the prize ceremony like Parama got with the pink star the first time?

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1143 on: April 26, 2016, 05:40:02 AM »
If one of us goes out in the most embarassing way possible: three coal star, will they get a mention during the prize ceremony like Parama got with the pink star the first time?
You want one of those pink balloons now, do you? :biggrin:

I think the ceremony I did last time was rather pointless, so I hadn't planned on doing anything like that this time. I suppose if the winner requests it, I could make a big diamond star graphic with their name on it, but I'll likely leave it at that.

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #1144 on: April 26, 2016, 05:52:40 AM »
Well look at it this way: Songs that have pearl stars attached are probably worth quite a bit already - diamond or gold usually for the song in the round, then the bonus star aswell. If pearl was worth too much it would be very unbalanced.

Well, I'll have to rethink my strategy for the last bonus star then :lol.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #1145 on: April 26, 2016, 06:11:56 AM »
Well fuck.

I thought about sending a few
Other choral tracks and should have sent one of those.

Kicking myself now because I'm doing poorly now.

I'll send something later. I'm mad at myself.

And I'm mad that everyone else got at least a pink.
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #1146 on: April 26, 2016, 06:15:55 AM »
Hey Dave, there are two versions of Youth by Daughter and I think you heard one I like less :D check the other one(YouTube link I sent you), I think singing performance is better.
EDIT: And sent.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 06:43:24 AM by Tomislav95 »

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1147 on: April 26, 2016, 06:49:54 AM »
Hey Dave, there are two versions of Youth by Daughter and I think you heard one I like less :D check the other one(YouTube link I sent you), I think singing performance is better.
I think you're right, this one seems a bit different to the one I listened to on Spotify.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #1148 on: April 26, 2016, 06:54:08 AM »
Sent.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #1149 on: April 26, 2016, 07:02:05 AM »
I think you're right, this one seems a bit different to the one I listened to on Spotify.
Version I sent is from Wild Youth EP and other version is from If You Leave, their first LP.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1150 on: April 26, 2016, 07:11:18 AM »
Version I sent is from Wild Youth EP and other version is from If You Leave, their first LP.
Yeah I definitely listened to the LP version, although that EP is on Spotify aswell. Sorry about that...luckily the differences aren't significant enough that the song's ranking would have been different. :facepalm:

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #1151 on: April 26, 2016, 07:22:24 AM »
Yeah I definitely listened to the LP version, although that EP is on Spotify aswell. Sorry about that...luckily the differences aren't significant enough that the song's ranking would have been different. :facepalm:
I'm glad you liked it no matter which one you heard :P I think EP version is more folky and some vocal melodies are different but not too much.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 07:28:27 AM by Tomislav95 »

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1152 on: April 26, 2016, 07:23:11 AM »
Dubstep > Karn Evil #9??

It's things like this that scream you and I are not a match.   :biggrin:

Instrumental coming up, and thus the completion of sending all 7 themes.  Just need to decide if I want to formally put it into the emerald bucket.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1153 on: April 26, 2016, 07:34:36 AM »
Dubstep > Karn Evil #9??
To be fair, in this round I put several genres > Karn Evil #9.

Instrumental coming up, and thus the completion of sending all 7 themes.  Just need to decide if I want to formally put it into the emerald bucket.
I don't think you've covered all of them yet. Where is your ruby entry? Or peridot? Or aquamarine?

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1154 on: April 26, 2016, 07:37:57 AM »
Sent a 36 minute instrumental