Author Topic: Bolsters™ The Roulette, v2 ★ THE CONCLUSION ★  (Read 109785 times)

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
Re: Bolsters™ The Roulette, v2 ★ R3 has commenced ★
« Reply #805 on: April 11, 2016, 05:12:02 AM »
I was going to do writeups tonight, but after listening to the songs again just now I found myself making quite a few changes to the ranking, even this far into the round. I also still haven't settled on who will be getting the coal star this time. So, I'm going to give these another listen tomorrow and hopefully the rankings will feel finalised, at which point I'll start typing up the results.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #806 on: April 11, 2016, 05:50:19 AM »
Samuel Barber - Adagio for Strings

...seriously? :lol

Yeah seriously. it was a risk I'll admit.
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #807 on: April 11, 2016, 01:20:16 PM »

It's a great piece, but not something I would ever send in a roulette.

Also, I think I prefer the choral transcription of it, but that might just be because I've actually had the ability to perform that one, that raises my appreciation for pretty much any kind of music.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #808 on: April 11, 2016, 02:27:06 PM »

It's a great piece, but not something I would ever send in a roulette.

Also, I think I prefer the choral transcription of it, but that might just be because I've actually had the ability to perform that one, that raises my appreciation for pretty much any kind of music.

I've sung it too and it's just as chilling.

It's probably one of those that's either going to garner me a diamond star or a coal star. I hope it's the former and not the latter. I was trying to decide what to send and for some reason this popped up and I was just sucked into listening to the whole thing and I was in tears at the climax. I'm thinking hmmmm... maybe Bolsters would appreciate it. I may be completely wrong but hey you only live once.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #809 on: April 12, 2016, 05:28:16 AM »
Round Three Results

Evermind - After Forever - Cry With A Smile
  • More symphonic/orchestral metal? Sure. This time it's a band I know I've listened to in the past, but can't remember what I listened to or why I didn't get into the band as a result. There's no surprises in this one but it touches on just about all of the elements of symphonic metal that I like, in power ballad form. The strings and brass are prominent and sound great, and provide the majority of the melody, along with the vocalist. I like the contrast between the significantly more stripped-back verses driven by the vox and an acoustic guitar with the chorus, which is driven by the strings and underlayed with power chords to thicken the sound. This probably wouldn't have been a diamond star song in either of the previous rounds, but it is in this one. :tup

Train of Naught - The Dear Hunter - Waves
  • So when you sent this song to me, I gave you a warning (as I would anyone else) that I've attempted to get into the artist you chose to send me in the past, and failed to be impressed. You stuck to your guns though and didn't change your submission at all, and I'm glad you did - and I bet you are now too. :laugh: Anyway, the instrumentation in this song is great; lots of violin which is obviously a plus with me and is probably the star of this song, especially in the verses. The electric guitar is rather understated for most of the song but carries the melody in the second part of the chorus. Vocally this is impressive aswell, in particular the backing vocals and the way they interplay with the violin. I don't remember which other The Dear Hunter songs I have heard, but I don't remember any of them sounding like this - hopefully it's not an anomoly.

bl5150 - The Ralph - Space Hobo
  • Brent sending djent in a roulette? This was either going to be a wise choice or a complete disaster, wasn't it. :lol Like Evermind's song I should mention that this would not have garnered the particular star you're being awarded in this round, but you fortunately did not send this in either of the previous rounds, and so you get away with a silver. Though I don't want to give you the impression that I didn't like this song or that I think it's average - it's not bad, and it definitely touches on elements of djent that I like and not the stuff that I don't. This is very melodic which is completely necessary for me when it comes to djent, there's some keyboard and occasional electronic elements which, while not necessary, help the song appeal to me in a much more significant way. I guess my only complaints are that it's a bit predictable, and I think the near-constant guitar soloing is a bit much especially when the guitarist leans more towards erratic shredding as opposed to the more melodic playing that also takes place. Still, you've managed to find something of the djent that ticks all the boxes on the "good" side of the genre for me, so well done.

splent - Samuel Barber - Adagio for Strings
  • I can definitely see how this would be a risky submission, and in a stronger round you would be getting pink for this. On one hand this song is gorgeous; I love symphonic stuff which is why the ruby star exists and this definitely appeals to me. The way it slowly builds is fantastic and I definitely appreciate the somber tone of the song which makes it somewhat emotional at times. I think the only reason I don't rate this a lot higher is that it does feel just a little overlong for what it achieves, and it does repeat itself a little bit aswell (though not really too much, maybe I'm just nitpicking at this point). Still, I did like this and it definitely grew on me as I listened to it more; I have a feeling it's something that will continue to grow on me even after this roulette has ended, and perhaps the fact that I only had a few days with this song (and many others) is another reason this doesn't rank very highly.

Tomislav95 - Archive - Distorted Angels
  • This was an interesting choice, in a good way. Firstly it's primarily driven by a string section and the vocalist, but there's some subtle electronica noises throwin in. I get the impression that this might be a bit more subdued than is typical for the artist? The vocalist does kind of "oversing" a bit if that's even a thing, almost like he thinks singing to a much fuller song at times. I don't mind him, but I definitely thought he was the weak point of the song. Still, while you aren't skipping to the top of the ruby star pile this is still a wise choice and worthy of pink.

Tyrias - Guro Von Germeten - Fa Fa (Come Stand By Me)
  • This one moved around quite a bit in the rankings these last few days. While I did like it right from the beginning and it was initially ranked a bit higher, I guess it just didn't grow on me as much as other songs this round did, and I ended up moving other songs infront of it on a rather consistent basis, but it's still worthy of pink. This is a bit out of my comfort zone which I like, and I appreciate the risk. This sounds a bit like a tango dance song, but while that's something I have never gone out of my way to listen to, I could see myself listening to this. I think the vocalist is a big reason for this, she has a great voice and I really like her performance here. The rest of the instrumentation is good aswell and is quite varied, but it never becomes convoluted at any point despite that. Not bad at all.

senecadawg2 - Foals - Spanish Sahara
  • This was a nice song, I especially like the way it builds up in the introduction with the ever-increasing volume and the vocalist's ascension from almost whispering to fuller singing. I like the bouncy synth and guitar swells in the verse, and the song once again builds nicely. Once the drummer comes in I think the song loses me just a little bit, but it's not bad. However I have to file this under "good but not great" and I also felt it wasn't up to par with songs that I've awarded pink stars to, so you miss out on that this time I'm afraid.

jingle.boy - Dimension Act - Drawing The Lines of Mortal Existence
  • So, this song. My first epic of the roulette, coming in at about 31 minutes. It is conveniently cut up into several smaller pieces so I'm going to tackle my writeup the same way,, one track at a time.
  • Pre-Spective: As far as epic instrumental introductions to epics go, this one falls a bit flat for me. I don't mind most of what is going on (even if it feels a bit too generic at times) but I guess what I don't really like is that it's basically just an eight minute medley more than an actual intro. I get that a lot of the stuff that appears in this track turns up in the rest of the song, kind of like a foreshadowing of what's to come, but it just doesn't feel like it was put together with much care; it just jumps straight from one riff or one section to the next over and over for eight minutes. As I said I didn't mind most of these sections, but I don't really feel like this sets up the song very well as an introduction.
  • Transparent Reality: This was probably my favourite of the song's separated tracks. This is somewhat unfortunate as at only 2:37 it is also the shortest. :lol Anyway, I like that this song provides some breathing room after the constant onslaught of the intro, the effect on the guitar chugging away in the verses creates an interesting flavour, and I like the minimalist approach to the chorus. The last 50 seconds or so of this song is an instrumental section though? I mean, we just had the eight minute intro and then after less than two minutes of sections with vocals we're back to being instrumental again? I'm sure you're sensing a pattern emerging here by now.
  • Illusion: This also wasn't bad and its more aggressive tone is a nice juxtaposition after the more laid-back track before. I like the little bit around 0:53 in particular. Anyway, after another relatively short vocal section this track yet again closes with a lengthy instrumental section, because only the first third or so contains vocals.
  • Counterparts: Another track that isn't bad, but it felt a bit repetitive the more I listened to the song as a whole, probably because just about everything in this one appears in the Pre-Spective, although I do prefer how these riffs are utilised in this track. I think this might be my second favourite track after Transparent Reality. It also has one of the shorter instrumental sections.
  • The Battle Within: I like how this one starts and ends, and even though it's completely instrumental it doesn't bother me quite as much here - probably because it's just a decent way to bridge between the previous section, Counterparts, and the next one.
  • A Different Perspective: The epic conclusion to the piece. The organs and the duet of vocalists are my favourite things here during the first half or so. But then of course, the majority of this track is also instrumental passages, and then the song does the worst thing imaginable by ending in the least epic way that an epic could possibly end: it fades out!? That really bothered me.
  • Conclusion: Yeah, there's some good moments in here for sure. I definitely toyed with the possibility of giving you a pink star, but I just couldn't. There's some good stuff but it's not exactly original stuff, it's borderline generic at times. I have entire albums that I listen to that are 100% instrumental, but for some reason the excessive amount of instrumental passages in this piece just bothered me. And the fade-out for the outro was the proverbial nail in the coffin I think, that was just a terrible way to end a 31 minute epic and even if it wasn't all that epic in the first place, it still stings. So I'm going to play the part of the Star Nazi here and say: No pink for you!

Shadow Ninja 2.0 - God is an Astronaut - Suicide By Star
  • So, post-rock. I kind of have a bit of a like/dislike thing going on with everything I hear from this genre; I generally like some things about the songs I've heard but there's always either one big thing that I don't like or several little ones, and I've never been able to get into any of it as a result. The good stuff in this song: I do like the way it builds up for the first two thirds or so. The drumming is active but understated, the guitar melodies carry the song well, and I like the subtle wordless backing vocals (which if anyone was wondering, may be acceptable when going for the emerald star, but don't push it). I like how all of these elements become more prominent as the song builds. This is all good stuff. Even when the distorted electric guitar chords start I'm still not put off all that much really, but everything in the mix is starting to blur together. Anyway, once the constant double-kicking starts the song becomes much less appealing because it descends into noise; the constant fuzzy guitar strumming and that rather bad sounding kick are really pushing the volume up on this and there's quite a bit of white noise from the way it all blurs together. I'd probably have an easier time getting into post rock if this didn't happen constantly, at least in the songs I've heard, and this song isn't changing my mind I'm afraid.

Elite - Joni Mitchell - Blue
  • Well this song wasn't bad but once again I am forced to rank you at the bottom of the heap. I kind of like how this song gets started and I don't have anything against songs that have minimal instrumentation, but I feel this song might have been improved if it didn't feel as though it didn't go anywhere. Joni's vocals are good most of the time here but there's a couple of bits where her voice grated on me, in particular the "I love you" around the half-way mark is a good example of what really dragged down this song for me. So...yeah. Had I thought the vocal performance was a lot stronger this might've avoided being ranked last, but I'm afraid I just liked all of the other songs this round more. Although I will say that I had a tough time deciding on whether or not I should give you the coal star or give it to Shadow, especially because I wanted to be 100% sure before I gave someone their second coal star. But I'm afraid I am 100% certain, and so you have to take another of these things. Hopefully you can avoid getting a third though? I'd very much like you to be able to stay in the competition until the end.

Scoreboard

Bonus Star Rankings

So there we have it, the conclusion to Round 3. As far as ranking stars go, Brent has one diamond and two silver; Elite nothing; Evermind one diamond, one silver, and one pink; jingle.chad and Shadow Ninja are both at one gold one pink; seneca and Tomislav both sitting with two pink stars each; splent with two silver and one pink; Mr. Naught sitting on one gold and one silver; Tyrias one diamond and one pink. Hopefully you're all confused - who's on top? Who's doing well, and who isn't? It's hard for even me to say at this point.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 05:52:18 AM by Bolsters »

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Glad to get away with that - I try to get out of my comfort zone (into areas of interest to the host and me not so much) at least once where applicable and that's a decent result. I had misgivings as soon as I sent it and I probably wasted my star a bit given my catalogue of instrumentals , but happy nonetheless.

And Ruslan cock blocked my next round submission with the #1 song , so still feeling "in the groove"  ;D
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
(The DEAR Hunter >:()

I'm glad I stuck by it, I was slightly anxiously awaiting results since you warned me and since you said this was the worst round juding by first impressions, but I was also secretly confident because I love every song on this album.  Waves is definitely not an anomoly, maybe you heard some of the heavier songs when you tried this band, and I definitely can't describe this album in a few words, but I think you'll like it.

It's not going too bad for me, just need to make sure I don't get 3 coal stars :lol will send soon.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah, I saw this round is more diverse than usual and thought "nice, my symphonic metal song will definitely score big". I think Brent is in the lead and I'm in the second place.

Chad... if you're still intending to kick my ass, now is a good time to begin, or else you may end up being too late. :biggrin:
It's a blasphemy to rank this Dimension Act song this low though.

Everyone else, feel free to send two inferior ballads. I'd like to get one of those pearl stars.

Will send my song this evening.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
Glad I could introduce you to some good classical music. I see how you can hear it as repetitive. The version I sent you was on the slower side (it is adagio after all) but a faster version would've ruined the mood of the piece. Had to go with Lenny's interpretation.

I'll send you something tonight (well tomorrow). Debating between some of the same songs I was debating sending you this past round :lol

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Chad... if you're still intending to kick my ass, now is a good time to begin, or else you may end up being too late. :biggrin:
It's a blasphemy to rank this Dimension Act song this low though.

Yeah... first time that song hasn't received perfect or top marks.  Dem's tastes for ya. 
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
Touché

Sent
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Tyrias

Well, I can live with a pink star, although that's probably the worst score/ranking I ever got in a roulette with this song.

At least I got the symphonic pearl star, that's a nice plus I guess. Now here's to hoping people focus on other bonus stars where it's easier to get pearl.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
Sent

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
The version I sent you was on the slower side (it is adagio after all) but a faster version would've ruined the mood of the piece.
Well I haven't heard the faster version, but I'm inclined to agree. The slower pace does set the mood in this one.

Yeah... first time that song hasn't received perfect or top marks.  Dem's tastes for ya.
Who else have you sent it to?

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

Ruslan, Rich, and Jaffa (he rated it second).  Oh, and I sent parts III/IV to an absetnee poster - theseoafs... who ranked it second.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah, I rated it 10/10. Too bad it was unofficial since you missed my first roulette.

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
By the way, that Amethyst star is worthless as well this way :lol

I go for zero points, without being eliminated.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
Ruslan, Rich, and Jaffa (he rated it second).  Oh, and I sent parts III/IV to an absetnee poster - theseoafs... who ranked it second.

By the way, that Amethyst star is worthless as well this way :lol
What if I told you that you weren't coming last? :justjen

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Is my Amethyst & Aquamarine worth more than two pink stars?
Squ

Offline Tomislav95

I'm glad you liked the song :tup yes, electronic/trip-hop elements are usually more prominent in their music and actually I was going to send their other song for synth/electronic star but went with Distorted Angels instead.

Also, it's funny, I didn't expect results so early because I forgot time zone difference between us is 8 hours :lol
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline senecadawg2

Is my Amethyst & Aquamarine worth more than two pink stars?

Probably. My pink stars are worth nothing.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Tomislav95

Sent.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
I need TON to get some more coal stars so I can steal the pearl star  :biggrin:

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
who's gonna be the first to send in some world music tho

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
I would... but if there isn't 2 others in that category, then there's no additional "pearl" bonus, so what's the point?  Of course I'm going on the assumption that there is value in the pearl star.  But, since we're all Col Clink here, maybe I will send something worldly.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Uhhh the bonus stars have a value of their own  :lol

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
I am planning on a world song too, and have some ideas, but haven't found one solid enough imo.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
The thing that irks me more than anything is that I'm 2nd in both of the categories I have bonuses in. Just like I've been 2nd in the highest roulette place I've been so far. Too many 2nds. The one time I'm first? During a qualification round that doesn't count. :lol

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
You're saying that like 2nd place is terrible :lol I never managed to finish higher than third.

As for coal stars, don't worry man, just sent my second coal star this morning.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Uhhh the bonus stars have a value of their own  :lol

Right... but does the "pearl" star for ranking 1st in a given category come with any additional point(s)?  I don't recall knowing definitively if that's the case, or if it's just a star for pride or ego.

Basically, this the scoring systems is a roulette-within-a-roulette - no one knows where they're going to land until it's all over.  We can guess and probably be directionally correct, but there's no knowing until it's all over but the crying.

Offline Tyrias

Plot Twist: Only coal stars get you points.

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
I win.
Squ

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Send a very weird and unknown band. It's not in Dave's banned list, it's not in all the three Championship judges banned list... as I said, virtually unknown. Awesome song though.