Author Topic: Bolsters™ The Roulette, v2 ★ THE CONCLUSION ★  (Read 109726 times)

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
Re: Bolsters™ The Roulette, v2 - Q2 Results :soon:
« Reply #455 on: March 27, 2016, 11:15:54 PM »
In

bl5150 - Dynazty - Falling
  • I don't really know why you were sweating this round, because here your song is sitting on top. :lol This kind of mid-tempo AOR with a slight edge to it is the kind of stuff I'm into. There's no surprises to be had here but it doesn't need any, it's catchy and builds well, nice melodies, and I like the vocalist/vocal performance. It didn't start out being ranked this highly but I did like it immediately and I found myself bumping it up the list every now and then. If this isn't your A-list material I'm definitely looking forward to what you send in the main competition - hopefully the rules haven't put you off too much. :mehlin

jingle.boy - Blessed By A Broken Heart - Shut Up and Rock
  • I don't know what you were worried about, either. Like Brent's song there's no surprises but everything hits the mark; some nice riffage and melodies, I like the verses and the build-up to the chorus and the chorus itself is all :metal. I was surprised to get a song with a section containing screamy vocals but they're utilised well and they appear in heavy moderation, which is how I like this particular style of vocal to be used.

Tyrias - Tame Impala - The Less I Know The Better
  • This song was probably the biggest grower of the round. I'm loving this overdriven, slightly dirty bassline and the combination of this with the simple but effective guitar ostinato and the really soft, dreamy organ sounds. Tons of reverb on the vocals, which gives the song a very dreamy texture. This song is so fucking catchy aswell - perhaps the catchiest song I received in either round so far, I especially just couldn't get dat bass out of my head. :lol These guys are Australian too and I've never even heard of them.

Shadow Ninja 2.0 - Grimes - Flesh Without Blood / Life in the Vivid Dream
  • I've heard of Grimes and I know I listened to a song or two quite a while ago, but no idea why I didn't listen to more. Flesh Without Blood especially is scratching me where I itch as far as this sort of modern pop goes; I like her voice and the change between the verses and chorus where in the chorus her voice has slightly more depth as she sings in a lower register, but is almost unnaturally high and thin in the verses because she sings in a higher register, and this is bolstered (:neverusethis:) by the way her vocals are EQed. The slightly electronic build up around half way through is great aswell. Life in the Vivid Dream on the other hand is completely different as it's driven more by acoustic guitar, and as it's very short it left me wanting more. Well, I guess I'll just have to get my fix from the rest of the album.

Tomislav95 - Eluveitie - A Rose For Epona
  • Never heard of these guys, but this is good stuff. It's female-fronted metal which I like. It's very celtic-influenced, which I like. It has some subtle electronic moments (such as the first verse) which as you may have guessed - I like. :lol I'm reminded of Stream of Passion a lot here, especially the two almost-electronic sections, but with the addition of celtic instrumenation.

Evermind - Evergrey - Mark of the Triangle
  • So I've heard their latest album, or at least bits of it, but that's the extent of my knowledge of the band. Unless I remember incorrectly that album had a more modern metal sound to it, so I was surprised when this song turned out to be a more classic metal sound. Anyway, as you mentioned this song isn't as strong as your first submission, but I'm still liking it - I like the heaviness but I think the more laid-back bits, such as the pre-chorus and the short breakdown after the half-way mark are my favourite things about it.

senecadawg2 - Glen Hansard - My Little Ruin
  • Glen Hansard seems to be something you send a lot in roulettes these days, and usually to great success. So, I was surprised when I received him for a qualifier, and I think it might surprise a few people that I rank this song in the middle of the pack. This is the kind of song that I file under "quite good but lacking that something extra to make it great" so while I enjoyed it, it just wasn't one of my absolute favourites in this round. Glen's vocals are the focus here and that's a wise choice because his performance here is the best thing about this song. I like that he goes back and forth between singing lightly and then putting in some aggression when it's warranted. The guitar work is good aswell and the strings really elevate the choruses and the song in general.

splent - Pallas - Falling Down
  • This was probably one of the more difficult songs to get a read on. At first I didn't really like it and you were facing elimination, but the more I listened to it the more it grew on me - enough so that it moved up in the rankings and you managed to avoid elimination rather comfortably. I actually like the verses here more than the chorus, the bass and vocals really driving it here, and while the chorus is still solid I think it just lacks that extra punch to make it great I think. The instrumental section holds no surprises but it's good, especially the synth solo. So you obviously held back for this round but you're still making it through. :tup

Elite - Circus Maximus - Abyss
  • At first I thought this song was going to be too generic for you to avoid elimination. A few people sent "classic" prog metal in my first roulette only to miss the mark because there wasn't enough about those songs that made them stand out above the crowd. This song started out feeling that way, but it did grow on me the more I listened to it and I found things that I really liked, so you moved up the ranks. I think the intro and verses are perhaps the weak points of this song, but the pre-chorus and chorus are what grew on me and I think they carry the song quite well - everything from about 1:45 on is good stuff. I don't mind the instrumental section either, and the way the song builds back into the chorus at the end of it is great aswell. So yeah, I've never really been impressed by this band but I'm actually looking forward to listening to this album now, I am quite certain this is the only song I've heard from it.

Train of Naught - Lechuga - Entre 2 Mundos
  • Well, here you are at #10 and just barely scraping through once again. :lol As far as instrumentals go you got it right as far as what appeals to me and what doesn't - this song doesn't sound like it is missing vocals, and it isn't predominantly self-indulgent wankery. There are vocals in this song (sort of) but she has a nice voice and this kind of scat singing where there are no words is something I don't mind at all, so it works. The guitar work here is what drives the song though, and while it does drag at a couple of points it moves along at a reasonable enough pace that it doesn't get boring. The guitar leads/solos especially are quite good, very melodic. At first I had a harder time getting into this song and I wasn't sure if you were going to get the axe or not, but this was probably the second-best grower of the round, so you're in.

Out

Sir Walrus Cauliflower - Rishloo - Just a Ride
  • I've heard of Rishloo but this might be the first time I've listened to them. I didn't mind this song at all, I like the way it builds throughout the intro and first verse and again building to the chorus. It gets a bit noisy for me going through the outro and it starts to drag towards the end aswell. I'm getting strong Riverside vibes from this (in a good way) as the guitar and vocal work is rather similar to their recent output. I guess it's just that while I like what's going on here, it just didn't have enough to make me want to push it up the rankings like a bunch of other songs did. I liked it immediately, but it didn't really grow from there. But while I did like this song you have unfortunately ranked 11th this time and have just barely missed out on making it into the real show. Thanks for taking part though, I'm definitely going to be checking out both of the artists that you sent me further. :tup

Parama - Gorillaz - El Manana
  • Well, I think you knew this was coming. After impressing me in the first qualifier I had high hopes that you might be able to succeed, but alas you have fallen into the bottom four this time and must be eliminated. Anyway, I didn't actually mind what this song is - I like the bass, just the right amount of low end on it. Vocally it's not bad, they have a very unprocessed quality about them that is borderline lo-fi, but I think the style works for this song. The production in general is good - I've no idea what Sacul was talking about, I mean it's not the greatest production I've ever heard but I can't really fault it in any way, it's got enough separation between all of its elements and the mix is balanced well. Anyway, on to the cons; I have to use the dreaded R-word again and say that it's on the repetitive side, what with the one beat and bassline going through the whole song among other elements. It does have some variety though and the last minute or minute and a half is the high point. I guess I just couldn't rank this any higher than any of the eleven songs listed above.

wolfking - Virgin Steele - Through Blood and Fire
  • Sorry dude, but this wasn't really doing it for me much at all. I don't mind power metal, even somewhat generic stuff, but there has to be something for me to grab onto - killer riffs, awesome vocals, something...and this song didn't really have any of that. The verses especially weren't doing it for me - the incessant double-kick is there and it's especially clicky in this song which makes it stand out even more. The riffage isn't anything special here either, and the vocals are pretty much being barked out. He sounds better leading into and during the chorus but there's nothing particularly noteworthy about his performance there anyway. I like where the song goes after the final chorus for the outro, but it's a comparatively short section in a song that otherwise overstays its welcome with me. This was especially disappointing because your first song was quite good, and you're probably someone that has tons of great music to send that I'd love, but unfortunately I have to let you off here this time. :(

Scorpion - Caravan Palace - Brotherswing
  • I had a bit of a hard time getting into this song, which is probably already evident since you are ranked last this time. On one hand I like the jazzy elements of this song, but it's essentially a very trance-y song and there has to be a lot more going on in this kind of song for me to tolerate the generic four-to-the-floor stuff. This song does break away from that a couple of times, but not enough. As for the vocalist, I still can't make up my mind about her. On one hand I like her higher-register moments, but on the other hand I the lower-register stuff isn't doing it for me. The vocal style is a bit unusual aswell in that she never holds any notes and cuts everything short, and I think I like the idea of that more than the execution of it. I think you definitely should have kept going straight instead of doing a 180. Anyway, this has to be the biggest disappointment this round, because you were one of the stronger players in my first roulette and some of the best songs I received there were sent by you. So, it is very unfortunate that I have to eliminate you from this one before it even gets started. :'(

Final Participant List
bl5150
Elite
Evermind
jingle.boy
senecadawg2
Shadow Ninja 2.0
splent
Tomislav95
Train of Naught
Tyrias

Those of you who made it through can now start sending songs for the first proper round.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 12:07:27 AM by Bolsters »

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #456 on: March 27, 2016, 11:19:30 PM »
at least you won't have to be subjected to my weird metal  :tup

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #457 on: March 27, 2016, 11:22:20 PM »
Haha - jingle and I were pretty convinced we were gawn.   I had started studying up for the next roulette on my list  :lol
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline 425

Re: Bolsters™ The Roulette, v2 - Sign up and/or send Q1 songs now
« Reply #458 on: March 27, 2016, 11:22:56 PM »
But I will show up in this thread to comment on songs and to harass Parama as much as you want.

joke's on you, i'm not making it past the qualifiers

Dammit Parama. Stop getting eliminated from roulettes so that I can stalk you in roulette threads and harass you, predominantly with Light of Day, Day of Darkness jokes.

Scorpion sent me that same song on his EP. I thought it was pretty weird, but there was something charming about it as well...
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
i never really play these to score high, so it's no surprise i don't make it past qualifiers of people whose taste in metal is way different than mine  :lol

tbh if i sent you the kind of metal i've been listening to recently i'd score lowest in your inevitable second roulette

my second roulette is gonna be weeeeeird

unrelated this joke avatar was funny for a day but i wanna find a new one now, not just put up the beggars one again

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
You're not even participating!

Wait... why aren't you participating?
Not enough chick music in his collection.

Hoped to read the writeups at the start of my working day, but they're not up yet. Oh well.
Sorry, I took a break in the middle.

at least you won't have to be subjected to my weird metal  :tup
Maybe I would have liked that? I don't know how weird it is but at least it wouldn't be generic.

Haha - jingle and I were pretty convinced we were gawn.   I had started studying up for the next roulette on my list  :lol
It was entertaining for me to watch you both squirm though, because I knew from the beginning that neither of you was going to be eliminated. :lol I hope you didn't delete the playlist.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Nice, that was about what I expected. Made it through without blowing my best songs in this round.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
i personally wouldn't call it repetitive since part of the joy of the track is listening in on all the different subtleties, and it's just two verses, two choruses, and the outro (which you liked, which would be the most likely part to call repetitive so i'm confused ??? ) but to be fair i like repetitive music in a sense anyways so

i kinda figured you'd at least like it but also figured probably not as strongly as i do, seriously close to calling it a 10/10 song  :lol

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
i personally wouldn't call it repetitive since part of the joy of the track is listening in on all the different subtleties, and it's just two verses, two choruses, and the outro (which you liked, which would be the most likely part to call repetitive so i'm confused ??? ) but to be fair i like repetitive music in a sense anyways so
Yeah but instrumentation in the outro is fuller once it's all built up and there's more going on, I liked the strings there aswell.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Alrighty then - after the success this round (and a few things I thought might have been an issue that weren't) I need to re-think a few things.  Have promoted a song for this round that I think might hit the same sort of spot with you.

Will send shortly
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
See, Kade, that's what you get for being keen on the roulette. :lol

So do you guys think anyone will get three coal stars? I think ToN may do it if he keeps going like that.

Also, glad that Splent made it. He wanted it so much.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Tyrias

I was not expecting to make it through :lol. But you're right about Tame Impala being big growers, when I first heard them I was like "wtf is this", 3 listens later I was shaking along in my chair.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
I don't know if these are ranked based on both rounds and that this song just got me over the elimination line, or that you only barely liked it more than the lowest 4 songs, but hell yeah.  :metal

So do you guys think anyone will get three coal stars? I think ToN may do it if he keeps going like that.

:rollin No more Rival Sons from me. I'll likely send soon.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
:( :(
I agree. :(

I don't know if these are ranked based on both rounds and that this song just got me over the elimination line, or that you only barely liked it more than the lowest 4 songs, but hell yeah.  :metal
The first round had no bearing on how I ranked anything in this round.

Offline Tomislav95

I'm glad you liked my song :tup
I already sent you my submission, no need to think it through until I get 2 coal stars, right :lol
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni

:rollin No more Rival Sons from me. I'll likely send soon.

You should just keep a straight face and say you intentionally used weaker songs from your arsenal to get through and it all went just as you planned.

I think I know what I'll be sending for this round. Might grab a bonus and cockblock someone too.  :biggrin:

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
You should just keep a straight face and say you intentionally used weaker songs from your arsenal to get through and it all went just as you planned.
That's EXACTLY what I did.

Going with a 2016 song for the first time, this'll be interesting - and yeah, another risky move  :lol
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
First try and song is banned (but not on list)............. >:(   ;D

Secondly sended.  :metal

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
Also, I tried to make the rules as clear as possible but if I failed and anyone would like clarification on something, all you have to do is ask.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
All I've really done is take the standard ranking system that tons of people have used and put two spins on it - bonuses that fluctuate based on popularity, and a bonus for the best song in each category. Sure there are a lot of stars but seven of them are functionally identical, they are just separate so that they can eventually have different values.

I guess I should just scrap the v3 system now since it's more complicated and intricate than this is, besides also being a somewhat bizarre concept. :\

No, don't change it.  It *looks* more complicated than a standard roulette ON PAPER, but in practice, I'm sure people will get the hang of it.  I already identified right away a particular strategy that I think needs to be employed to maximize bonus points.  It's your roulette, you set the framework - fuck the haters.... though I don't think anyone was really hating, just fun banter about the complexity.  At a high level, you stack rank, and earn bonus points for using themes.  Pretty simple... but the devil is in the details.  I'm sure plenty of questions will come up along the way - hell, idiots like me even miss things that are pretty explicit (ie, allowed to send one >12 minute song). 

Yeah... proof that when you over-think things, you get "slaughtered"   ;) :P  Shut Up and Rock was a spur of the moment 'rage submission' for Brent beating me to Dynazty.  And lookie there, we finish 1-2!

Oh, and I'm still gonna cover all 7 themes, and put all of you punks to shame while winning this thing.

That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Fuck.  Well, I guess having a decent song the first time didn't mean fucking shit, whatever then.  Wasn't really keen on the star thing anyway.  Will still follow, good luck everyone.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
Whew.

Sending now.
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Onya splent.  You realise by now of course that you're first roulette host wasn't that nasty after all , right?  ;D

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
See, Kade, that's what you get for being keen on the roulette. :lol

Looks like I have to stick with my 'fuck it, I ain't got time for this shit' approach.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
Fuck.  Well, I guess having a decent song the first time didn't mean fucking shit, whatever then.  Wasn't really keen on the star thing anyway.  Will still follow, good luck everyone.
I did mention the specifics, but essentially you had to be right on the cut line for the advantage to do you any good. You were too far below the line for it to matter. :-*

No, don't change it.  It *looks* more complicated than a standard roulette ON PAPER, but in practice, I'm sure people will get the hang of it.  I already identified right away a particular strategy that I think needs to be employed to maximize bonus points.  It's your roulette, you set the framework - fuck the haters.... though I don't think anyone was really hating, just fun banter about the complexity.  At a high level, you stack rank, and earn bonus points for using themes.  Pretty simple... but the devil is in the details.  I'm sure plenty of questions will come up along the way - hell, idiots like me even miss things that are pretty explicit (ie, allowed to send one >12 minute song). 
I had no intention of changing this one, but I am rethinking the v3. It was pretty ambitious and it was doubtful I would ever put it all together anyway. Maybe now I just won't bother, it was going to be a great deal of effort to create, I'd hate to do it and then everyone is just going to react with "What the fuck is this shit, Bolsters?!" and only four people actually want to play it. :lol

As for strategies in this one, I figured out a couple after I put it all together, it'll be interesting to see if you came up with one of those or a different one...and whether anyone else will employ the same strategies.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
I have no problem with the approach of this roulette whatsoever. Actually, when signing up for this, I expected something more ambitious  :lol this is really nothing too crazy compared to the v1. It'll be the first time playing in a stack-rank roulette for me, and as it turns out so far, it won't be serving me well, I might just go out in a not-so-glorious fashion after the first 3 rounds.  :lol

I like to think the song I just sent is a strategy sorta-kinda, but really I just want the bonus points and if I have songs I would've sent regardless of the themes I certainly won't hold on to them.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
Just a reminder that I would like to be told when you expect a bonus star for your song (and which one, of course). I'm very likely to give you nothing if you don't. :D

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I was fourth highest in the first qualifier (if they were even ranked), and no where near the 'on thin ice' category.  Parama and Cauliflower were also in the top tier yet all three of us get knocked out, obviously no advantage there.  Yet Train of Naught was on thin ice in Q1 and gets in 'just scraping through' in Q2????? WTF?

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
I was fourth highest in the first qualifier (if they were even ranked), and no where near the 'on thin ice' category.  Parama and Cauliflower were also in the top tier yet all three of us get knocked out, obviously no advantage there.  Yet Train of Naught was on thin ice in Q1 and gets in 'just scraping through' in Q2????? WTF?
Because I like ToN's song this round more than any of the four songs ranked underneath it. I liked it more than the one Sir Walrus Cauliflower sent, 100%, it wasn't a difficult decision. That's why ToN got through. The advantage was gaining some favour if I couldn't decide who to cut out of two people on the cut line.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Lol... last roulette was 11 pages in total.  This is at 14 pages so far, and we haven't even officially started.

I'm SO glad Splent made it - he'd probably have rage-quit all roulette-ing if he'd gotten the boots in qualification again!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
I'm sure the thread will die soon, it almost did once already.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm doing all I can to keep it alive. That's something I always appreciate people doing in my roulette thread, so I'm trying to do the same.

And maybe I won't cockblock anyone in this round, might as well give the person a chance to send this song first. All bets are off for the second round though.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
:woot: Glad you liked the song! I'd be interested to know what you think of some of her other stuff, since that song's really the only one I like. :lol

Also sent.