Author Topic: Bolsters™ The Roulette, v2 ★ THE CONCLUSION ★  (Read 109489 times)

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Bolsters™ The Roulette, v2 - Q1 Listening Underway
« Reply #210 on: March 19, 2016, 08:45:42 PM »
So, what did Brent send? Ghost Ship Octavius?

Good band , but no.  I said earlier that I would send some Japanese stuff, so shouldn't be too hard from there  :)
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #211 on: March 20, 2016, 03:46:29 AM »
I sent Nocturnal Rites.  Just sent what I just sent in Ruslan's roulette, cause I'm lazy.  :lol
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #212 on: March 20, 2016, 05:13:30 AM »
I sent Nocturnal Rites.  Just sent what I just sent in Ruslan's roulette, cause I'm lazy.  :lol
Nice to know you're putting in the effort. :lol

Anyway, I've got a few listens in now and have been ranking things as I go along. Quite a few of these tracks proved to be growers. This is a really strong round, loads of good stuff in here, I'm actually surprised how strong this round is. Anyway, I'm 90% sure I know who two of the eliminated players will be. The third, I'm not so sure about. I've got a tough decision to make here. :(

So. Who thinks they're being eliminated? :D

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #213 on: March 20, 2016, 05:21:10 AM »
Well I can't say I'm confident about knowing your musical tastes barring a few things. But I do have confidence in the mighty Larry and his Flask though  ;D

I've got my fingers crossed as I've got lots of cool things lined up if I make it through.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #214 on: March 20, 2016, 05:27:37 AM »
Can only comment on the songs I know/have listened to and they all feel like they'd do great with you. I think both Caligula's Horse songs should make it through pretty easily, even moreso since Arcane is apparently on your banned list too, still not sure which one will do better though, leaning more towards rust ATM.

That Coheed song was alright I guess, still not really into this band, and Domino the Destitute (I think that was the name) is easily my favorite from both Afterman albums.

Muse is an interesting choice, that's probably my #2 song off the album so good job on picking it  :tup not sure how it will fare with Bolsters though.

I think I checked out the Dream Evil and Nocturnal Rites songs during Evermind's roulette, I don't really remember them though so can't really comment.

I don't think my song is one of the growers, I feel like either you dig it or you don't, but hey - it could be. I doubt I'll go out but you mentioned the there's a tough choice to be made for the third elimination, so ya never know.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #215 on: March 20, 2016, 05:34:20 AM »

That Coheed song was alright I guess, still not really into this band, and Domino the Destitute (I think that was the name) is easily my favorite from both Afterman albums.

I absolutely adore Coheed and Cambria, I was tempted to send a song of theirs at first but didn't want to go too obvious. Please don't judge them by those songs though dude. I love The Afterman albums but if I had sent a song in this roulette it would have been one of about 30 songs off their first 4 albums before anything off Afterman!!

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #216 on: March 20, 2016, 05:37:33 AM »
I didn't. I judged them by all of the 4 albums that I've heard  :lol at some point I gotta draw a line. I don't dislike them, and unlike many, it's not just Claudio that wears on me, I've realized these guys are just not for me. I do enjoy some bands with similar-ish vocals like TYS and Mandroid Echostar.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #217 on: March 20, 2016, 05:49:05 AM »
I didn't. I judged them by all of the 4 albums that I've heard  :lol at some point I gotta draw a line. I don't dislike them, and unlike many, it's not just Claudio that wears on me, I've realized these guys are just not for me. I do enjoy some bands with similar-ish vocals like TYS and Mandroid Echostar.

Fair enough, I know you had said you were going to check out their earlier albums, just wasn't sure if you had. I like TYS and ME but I only discovered them due to them being recommended for Coheed fans.

I've got to say though, it took me a LONG time for Coheed to click. I bought GA1 in 2006 after hearing Welcome Home but wasn't impressed, borrowed GA2 off a friend when that came out, still wasn't impressed. It was in 2009 when my girlfriends, best friends boyfriend was obsessed with them. He played me The Light and the Glass off their 2nd album and I started to get them. I gave GA1 another listen with the lyrics in front of me (I can picture the moment now) and I had a "Holy fuck, how did I not realise how awesome these guys are!!" epiphany moment. I've been increasingly obsessed since.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #218 on: March 20, 2016, 08:06:07 AM »
Can only comment on the songs I know/have listened to and they all feel like they'd do great with you. I think both Caligula's Horse songs should make it through pretty easily, even moreso since Arcane is apparently on your banned list too, still not sure which one will do better though, leaning more towards rust ATM.

Muse is an interesting choice, that's probably my #2 song off the album so good job on picking it  :tup not sure how it will fare with Bolsters though.

I think I checked out the Dream Evil and Nocturnal Rites songs during Evermind's roulette, I don't really remember them though so can't really comment.

I don't think my song is one of the growers, I feel like either you dig it or you don't, but hey - it could be. I doubt I'll go out but you mentioned the there's a tough choice to be made for the third elimination, so ya never know.

You don't know Within Temptation? I thought you were Dutch.

Also, :lol at your personal user text.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #219 on: March 20, 2016, 08:20:09 AM »
Not feeling very confident - considering you said you were kinda ambivalent about the first Epysode album.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #220 on: March 20, 2016, 08:27:01 AM »

You don't know Within Temptation? I thought you were Dutch.

Also, :lol at your personal user text.
Correct. I know the band name and the fact they're dutch, but nothing more. I think I heard one or two songs, not really my thing.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #221 on: March 20, 2016, 08:36:10 AM »
Well, it's just I thought they were kind of big in Netherlands. I talked with a local - a friend of Nem - and he said they were definitely bigger and more popular than Ayreon. Figured you would know them.

Anyway, I'm confident. No way my song is among the worst three here.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 08:52:25 AM by Evermind »

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #222 on: March 20, 2016, 08:47:17 AM »
I tried to play it safe but I'm not extremely confident. Wouldn't be surprised if I don't move on
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #223 on: March 20, 2016, 08:48:28 AM »
Other than the song I sent, I only know 2 other artists on the list, so I'm not making any assumptions.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #224 on: March 20, 2016, 09:34:48 AM »
Well, it's just I thought they were kind of big in Netherlands. I talked with a local - a friend of Nem - and he said they were definitely bigger and more popular than Ayreon. Figured you would know them.

They definitely are - or at least were. Ten, fifteen years ago they were huge. And don't know what they're up to nowadays to be honest. The Dutch scene has definitely shifted a bit over time.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliňujoŕupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #225 on: March 20, 2016, 02:25:33 PM »

I absolutely adore Coheed and Cambria, I was tempted to send a song of theirs at first but didn't want to go too obvious. Please don't judge them by those songs though dude. I love The Afterman albums but if I had sent a song in this roulette it would have been one of about 30 songs off their first 4 albums before anything off Afterman!!

really there's any number of great songs i could've sent, because coheed has many. Time Consumer, Devil in Jersey City, Everything Evil, Delirium Trigger, In Keeping Secrets, Three Evils, The Crowing, Backend of Forever, Al the Killer, The Light & The Glass, Welcome Home, anything from The Willing Well, No World For Tomorrow, Mother Superior, The End Complete, On the Brink, The Broken, Domino, Vic, Evagria, Sentry, The Hard Sell, Gravity's Union, Colors, Ghost, Peace to the Mountain

but anyways i went with the weird out-of-place track on only maybe their third or fourth best album

it's me

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #226 on: March 20, 2016, 02:34:50 PM »

really there's any number of great songs i could've sent, because coheed has many. Time Consumer, Devil in Jersey City, Everything Evil, Delirium Trigger, In Keeping Secrets, Three Evils, The Crowing, Backend of Forever, Al the Killer, The Light & The Glass, Welcome Home, anything from The Willing Well, No World For Tomorrow, Mother Superior, The End Complete, On the Brink, The Broken, Domino, Vic, Evagria, Sentry, The Hard Sell, Gravity's Union, Colors, Ghost, Peace to the Mountain

but anyways i went with the weird out-of-place track on only maybe their third or fourth best album

it's me

So yea, you could have gone with any of the awesome tunes you mentioned (except Al the Killer, never understood the love for that song), how come you went with your pick?

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliňujoŕupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #227 on: March 20, 2016, 02:59:11 PM »
it was implied that Number City was also on this list of awesome Coheed tunes. mostly i'm thinking of just sending bolsters a lot of songs with a lot of personality, assuming i make it past one round  :lol

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #228 on: March 20, 2016, 03:43:59 PM »
So I've been checking out the competition and there is a bit of a trend (which my song is not part of  :lol) but also a handful that don't follow the trend. I've gotta say there is some really stella stuff here. My personal faves are easily Marigold by Caligula's Horse (Rust is really good too) and You Want To by Rival Sons.

Caligula's Horse have been on my radar for a while and I've heard a lot of good things but after hearing the two picks on here I think I will be picking up Bloom soon (love that artwork too).

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #229 on: March 20, 2016, 03:52:56 PM »

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #230 on: March 20, 2016, 06:27:07 PM »
Judging from two or three of your banned artists, I'm fairly confident. However, I'm not holding my breath, as I felt confident about submissions I sent Sacul only to be shit upon.
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #231 on: March 20, 2016, 10:29:14 PM »
Judging from two or three of your banned artists, I'm fairly confident. However, I'm not holding my breath, as I felt confident about submissions I sent Sacul only to be shit upon.

You and me both. Now that I think about it, it was kind of the trend in that roulette. :lol

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • żDe qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #232 on: March 20, 2016, 11:30:25 PM »
It's because you sucked at reading my tastes  :angel:

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #233 on: March 21, 2016, 02:38:32 AM »
It's because your tastes are impossible to read :P.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #234 on: March 21, 2016, 02:57:19 AM »
If I ever do a roulette, my summary of my taste will look something like this:

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #235 on: March 21, 2016, 05:41:20 AM »
Not feeling very confident - considering you said you were kinda ambivalent about the first Epysode album.

Second album crushes the first though, I think you'd be right with your song.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #236 on: March 21, 2016, 05:45:20 AM »
I was ambivalent about both albums  ;D
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #237 on: March 21, 2016, 06:01:18 AM »
I was ambivalent about both albums  ;D

Second album is a big grower though I must say.  I could see you skipping past it pretty quickly Brent.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #238 on: March 21, 2016, 06:19:50 AM »

Second album crushes the first though, I think you'd be right with your song.

:lucien:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #239 on: March 21, 2016, 08:17:50 AM »
I intend to listen to the songs once more tomorrow (probably won't get time until the afternoon) and post results then.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #240 on: March 21, 2016, 08:26:11 AM »
You're saying it takes you almost a week to listen to 17 songs and grade them? OMG THIS IS THE SLOWEST ROULETTE EVER WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU?  >:(

:neverusethis:

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #241 on: March 21, 2016, 08:29:40 AM »
Actually by the time I post the results tomorrow, it will have been almost exactly three days since I received the last of the songs and started listening.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #242 on: March 21, 2016, 08:32:29 AM »
 :eek

You're either really good at this or have a lot of free time on your hands  :lol

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #243 on: March 21, 2016, 11:53:02 AM »
I think both.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #244 on: March 21, 2016, 08:48:12 PM »
Or maybe I hate all of your songs and just want this to be over sooner.