Author Topic: Bolsters™ The Roulette, v2 ★ THE CONCLUSION ★  (Read 109491 times)

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
Re: Bolsters™ The Roulette, v2 - Sign up and/or send Q1 songs now
« Reply #105 on: March 17, 2016, 09:47:41 PM »
would a song that has a cello throughout count as a song with orchestral/symphonic elements or do you mean like a full orchestra
It doesn't have to be a full orchestra or symphony, but my preference is for ensemble. String quartets will also make the cut, or any song with more than one orchestral instrument.

As for single instruments, I may or may not accept them for that bonus. It depends on how "important" I think the instrument is to the song - if I get a fairly normal rock song with a violin that sounds like it's just been thrown in for the sake of it, I won't award the bonus to it. On the other hand if the song seems like it was built around the violin and that the song wouldn't work all that well without the instrument, I might let it pass. But if you want to be 100% sure you get the bonus, go with ensemble.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #106 on: March 17, 2016, 09:49:54 PM »
alright i'll play to the side of the cautious and bank on getting into the roulette and sending it to you then so you can decide for yourself, i wanna send it either way though

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #107 on: March 17, 2016, 09:59:43 PM »
Here's a useful tip for anyone who wishes to look up artists in my Last.fm library. Since they updated the site with a beta design there's been no easy way to look up a particular artist in someone's library, but I discovered a trick to allow you to do it.

Essentially, you just have to take the following link and change the "Dream+Theater" part to whichever band it is you'd like to check up on, using + signs in place of any spaces. :tup

https://www.last.fm/user/Bolsters/library/music/Dream+Theater

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #108 on: March 17, 2016, 10:03:28 PM »
Here's a useful tip for anyone who wishes to look up artists in my Last.fm library. Since they updated the site with a beta design there's been no easy way to look up a particular artist in someone's library, but I discovered a trick to allow you to do it.

Essentially, you just have to take the following link and change the "Dream+Theater" part to whichever band it is you'd like to check up on, using + signs in place of any spaces. :tup

it must be bad...........Kim Jong Il has come back from the dead to bitch about it on your profile.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #109 on: March 17, 2016, 10:57:29 PM »
Alright, my bands are approved. Will send my song when I get home.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #110 on: March 18, 2016, 12:02:23 AM »
sent. plugging a hole on the banned list while i have the chance. will be disappointed if i don't make it to the main roulette but hey someone has to get cut so i'll be that someone

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #111 on: March 18, 2016, 02:11:45 AM »
Cool, glad I'm in. This will be my first roulette  ;D

Just a few quick questions, how heavy do you like your metal? What it is your view on punk/ska/reggae? I know you are a fan of The Black Mages but are you familiar with any of Nobuo Uematsu's other projects?

This is all assuming I get past the qualifiers!! I'm not planning on playing it safe though, if I do well I want it to be because I sent you something you like that you may never have been exposed to normally.

Oh, lastly, where in the world do you live?

Sorry for all the questions, still fairly new around these parts  :loser:

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #112 on: March 18, 2016, 02:15:23 AM »
Oh, I also got a question. Is there a chance to get straight into the main competition after the first qualification round? Or regardless of how awesome my song is, I'll have to participate in both rounds?

My choice for this round will depend on the answer.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #113 on: March 18, 2016, 02:44:25 AM »
how heavy do you like your metal?
Opeth is about as heavy as I get, and even then I prefer the stuff that has more atmosphere and melody than I do their truly heavier stuff. If you're familiar with them at all: I love Ghost Reveries/Watershed/Blackwater Park, but have never been able to get into albums like Deliverance. If you aren't familiar with Opeth I may have to revisit this answer. :lol

What it is your view on punk/ska/reggae?
There were a few popular punk songs I didn't mind when I was in high school around 1998-2002 but otherwise it's a genre I haven't been able to get into and thus don't listen to. Ska and reggae even less so.

I know you are a fan of The Black Mages but are you familiar with any of Nobuo Uematsu's other projects?
I've heard some of the Earthbound Papas stuff, but I didn't really like the direction he took with that project, after The Black Mages. Other than that I'm just familiar with some of his Final Fantasy soundtracks, everything from FFIII through to FFVI in particular.

I'm from Australia.

Oh, I also got a question. Is there a chance to get straight into the main competition after the first qualification round? Or regardless of how awesome my song is, I'll have to participate in both rounds?
Nope, to get in you will have to survive both qualifying rounds.

However, at the end of the second qualifier I will be taking into account your submissions in both rounds. If you are right on the cut line in Q2 but killed it in the first round, I'll give you the edge. But that's the only advantage you get - if you send my favourite song in the first and come last in the second, you'll still get the axe. Still, if you do really well in the first qualifier this means you may be afforded some comfort for the second one.

Edit: since I haven't mentioned it yet: It appears that 17 is going to be the final number I have decided that I will eliminate three people after the first qualifying round, and four after the second.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #114 on: March 18, 2016, 03:11:21 AM »
Fine, I'll just send two awesome songs then. I've got no shortage of those.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #115 on: March 18, 2016, 03:39:59 AM »
I have trouble deciding which of the awesome songs I have lined up I will send first. Expect my submission through your Spotify inbox in a few minutes.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #116 on: March 18, 2016, 03:57:21 AM »
how heavy do you like your metal?
Opeth is about as heavy as I get, and even then I prefer the stuff that has more atmosphere and melody than I do their truly heavier stuff. If you're familiar with them at all: I love Ghost Reveries/Watershed/Blackwater Park, but have never been able to get into albums like Deliverance. If you aren't familiar with Opeth I may have to revisit this answer. :lol

What it is your view on punk/ska/reggae?
There were a few popular punk songs I didn't mind when I was in high school around 1998-2002 but otherwise it's a genre I haven't been able to get into and thus don't listen to. Ska and reggae even less so.

I know you are a fan of The Black Mages but are you familiar with any of Nobuo Uematsu's other projects?
I've heard some of the Earthbound Papas stuff, but I didn't really like the direction he took with that project, after The Black Mages. Other than that I'm just familiar with some of his Final Fantasy soundtracks, everything from FFIII through to FFVI in particular.

I'm from Australia.

Ok thanks, that's all good to know. Yes, I'm a big fan of Opeth so I will use them as a guide to how heavy I will go.

I kind of agree about Earthbound Papas, but I still like some of their output.

I might not get far in this roulette but what I like about this forum is that there is a huge diversity of music that people are into. I'm just going to steer clear of Progressive Metal completely and instead go for just awesome music that I personally think has a little something for everyone, regardless of what genres are their favourite.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #117 on: March 18, 2016, 05:58:57 AM »

It is.  It's been in "beta" for over a year?  And the "new" version removed a lot of basic features/functions.
it must be bad...........Kim Jong Il has come back from the dead to bitch about it on your profile.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #118 on: March 18, 2016, 06:12:25 AM »
I might not get far in this roulette but what I like about this forum is that there is a huge diversity of music that people are into. I'm just going to steer clear of Progressive Metal completely and instead go for just awesome music that I personally think has a little something for everyone, regardless of what genres are their favourite.
That's always cool to see, even as a participant. I must say I'm not as big of a risktaker in these things, so if I don't know the persons tastes too well I end up sending some prog anyway just to be safe, I did not send prog for this round though.
Usually I do an okay job of picking the right songs from an artist according to the host's tastes, but I do a shitty job of picking the right artists  :lol

I'm pretty relieved there's no way to get into the main competition after the first qualifier, I think I picked a solid song, but not a round winner. Still hoping to get that advantage though.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #119 on: March 18, 2016, 07:26:58 AM »
That's always cool to see, even as a participant. I must say I'm not as big of a risktaker in these things, so if I don't know the persons tastes too well I end up sending some prog anyway just to be safe, I did not send prog for this round though.
Usually I do an okay job of picking the right songs from an artist according to the host's tastes, but I do a shitty job of picking the right artists  :lol

I'm pretty relieved there's no way to get into the main competition after the first qualifier, I think I picked a solid song, but not a round winner. Still hoping to get that advantage though.

To be honest as I'm still new around here I'm still trying to suss out peoples tastes. The song I sent was a bit of a knee jerk reaction, I was listening to it when I decided to join. It is one of my favourite songs and I doubt many people will know it but I might take my time to pick a second qualifier (if I get through that is). This all depends on the reaction Bolsters has to my pick.

I'm going to take risks with genres outside of progressive metal though as I'm using this site to discover loads of bands as it is. I'm not going to have that much that isn't well known around here in terms of progressive metal so I will send all my other favourite shit.

Like I said, tastes seem pretty diverse around here so if I can be obsessed with progressive metal but still love reggae, ska, punk and other random genres I know there's bound to be others like me. Plus the songs I'll pick will be ones that I genuinely think everyone will find a little something they like.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 07:41:03 AM by twosuitsluke »

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #120 on: March 18, 2016, 08:27:34 AM »
WTH is "ska"?
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #121 on: March 18, 2016, 08:32:25 AM »
twosuitsluke, dude, I'm glad you didn't sign up for my roulette. :lol

Sending my song in a few minutes.

WTH is "ska"?

We have a hockey team called SKA in Russia. Maybe that's it!

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #122 on: March 18, 2016, 08:34:10 AM »
WTH is "ska"?
A genre that doesn't need post- or -core to be described.  :biggrin:
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #123 on: March 18, 2016, 08:36:10 AM »
WTH is "ska"?
A genre that doesn't need post- or -core to be described.  :biggrin:

That doesn't mean it doesn't suck though. I mean, there are genres like shoegaze and dubstep. :biggrin:

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #124 on: March 18, 2016, 08:38:45 AM »

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #125 on: March 18, 2016, 08:41:02 AM »

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #126 on: March 18, 2016, 08:43:07 AM »
WTH is "ska"?

really? It had a pretty big "revival" in the 90's as ska-punk

No Doubt, Mighty Mighty Bosstones, Sublime, Reel Big Fish, etc
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #127 on: March 18, 2016, 08:45:35 AM »
twosuitsluke, dude, I'm glad you didn't sign up for my roulette. :lol

Sending my song in a few minutes.

WTH is "ska"?

We have a hockey team called SKA in Russia. Maybe that's it!

Each to their own guys. Personally I am the sort of person who will judge music on it's own merits and how it sounds, as opposed to pigeonholing it because of my preconceptions of what particular genres sound like. I would never rule out anything, and assume I wouldn't like it, because of the genre it is labelled as.

If I ever do a roulette I want a wide variety of whatever you guys can throw at me. I thought the point of a roulette was to potentially discover stuff out of your comfort zone.

Also for the record I wouldn't send all punk/ska/reggae, I was using it as an example because I like a wide variety of music.

Lastly part of the reason I decided to enter Bolster's roulette is because he happily admits to loving Taylor Swift (which could be considered uncool by some), I like people who are open about what they like regardless of what others think. It made me think he would be open to whatever I chuck his way.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 08:51:27 AM by twosuitsluke »

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #128 on: March 18, 2016, 08:45:50 AM »
I've got all but three submissions so far. I'm going to bed now, but I'm going to start listening tomorrow regardless of whether the stragglers have submitted or not.

Edit: Just two now.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #129 on: March 18, 2016, 08:48:14 AM »
WTH is "ska"?

Can't say that I have heard of any of them.

King told me about a band called Ska Simmetry.........do they count?
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #130 on: March 18, 2016, 08:49:56 AM »
Each to their own guys. Personally I am the sort of person who will judge music on it's own merits and how it sounds as opposed to pigeonholing it because of my preconceptions of what particular genres sound like. I would never rule out anything and assume I wouldn't like it because of the genre it is labelled as.

If I ever do a roulette I want a wide variety of what you guys can throw at me. I thought the point of a roulette was to potentially discover stuff out of your comfort zone.

Also for the record I wouldn't send all punk/ska/reggae, I was using it as an example because I like a wide variety of music.

Lastly part of the reason I decided to enter Bolster's roulette is because he happily admits to loving Taylor Swift (which could be considered uncool by some), I like people who are open about what they like regardless of what others think. It made me think he would be open to whatever I chuck his way.

No worries man, I'm just fooling around. :tup

Sent. I admit I will be thoroughly baffled if this song gets me eliminated.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #131 on: March 18, 2016, 08:51:47 AM »
WTH is "ska"?

Can't say that I have heard of any of them.

not even No Doubt/Gwen Stefani?
Winger would be better!

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #132 on: March 18, 2016, 08:52:55 AM »
I can picture Gwen Stefani but couldn't name a song.  Shameful I know  :biggrin:    It's likely I would know a song or two if I heard them.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #133 on: March 18, 2016, 08:53:58 AM »
Each to their own guys. Personally I am the sort of person who will judge music on it's own merits and how it sounds as opposed to pigeonholing it because of my preconceptions of what particular genres sound like. I would never rule out anything and assume I wouldn't like it because of the genre it is labelled as.

If I ever do a roulette I want a wide variety of what you guys can throw at me. I thought the point of a roulette was to potentially discover stuff out of your comfort zone.

No worries man, I'm just fooling around. :tup

Sent. I admit I will be thoroughly baffled if this song gets me eliminated.

It's ok, no worries  ;) hopefully one day I will enter one of your roulettes and I'll give you the opportunity to eat your hat  :lol

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #134 on: March 18, 2016, 08:56:57 AM »
I can picture Gwen Stefani but couldn't name a song.  Shameful I know  :biggrin:    It's likely I would know a song or two if I heard them.

yeah probably  Spiderwebs, Don't Speak, Just a Girl, Sunday Morning, etc
Winger would be better!

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #135 on: March 18, 2016, 08:57:20 AM »
It's ok, no worries  ;) hopefully one day I will enter one of your roulettes and I'll give you the opportunity to eat your hat  :lol

Either that or I'll give you 3/10. :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #136 on: March 18, 2016, 09:05:09 AM »
Each to their own guys. Personally I am the sort of person who will judge music on it's own merits and how it sounds, as opposed to pigeonholing it because of my preconceptions of what particular genres sound like. I would never rule out anything, and assume I wouldn't like it, because of the genre it is labelled as.

I'm with you there Luke, I'd just never heard of that style/genre before.  As for what it sounds like, I can dig it - hell, No Doubt/Tragic Kingdom made my first Top 50 list.  Great album.  And I do like the occasional thing outside of my normal comfort zone, but by-and-large, I know what I like, and I stick to it.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #137 on: March 18, 2016, 09:17:11 AM »

I'm with you there Luke, I'd just never heard of that style/genre before.  As for what it sounds like, I can dig it - hell, No Doubt/Tragic Kingdom made my first Top 50 list.  Great album.  And I do like the occasional thing outside of my normal comfort zone, but by-and-large, I know what I like, and I stick to it.

I thought you were trolling lol, have you seriously never heard of Ska??

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #138 on: March 18, 2016, 09:19:34 AM »

I thought you were trolling lol, have you seriously never heard of Ska??

I've seriously never heard of "ska".  I may have heard ska music, but I've never heard that term used to describe a style/genre.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #139 on: March 18, 2016, 09:21:03 AM »
Actually, don't take those bands as a reference for Ska (at least no doubt)

Here you have some ska
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants.