Author Topic: Bolsters™ The Roulette, v2 ★ THE CONCLUSION ★  (Read 109533 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Bolsters™ The Roulette, v2 - Q1 results in; send Q2 song NOW
« Reply #280 on: March 22, 2016, 05:35:06 AM »
Round 2 sent.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #281 on: March 22, 2016, 05:35:27 AM »
Changed my entry. Hope that's fine, but I think I'd rather play it somewhat safe for now and not send the more hipster stuff :lol
I'm okay with people changing entries until I start listening. Once that happens, what you have sent is locked in.

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #282 on: March 22, 2016, 05:36:10 AM »
Changed my entry. Hope that's fine, but I think I'd rather play it somewhat safe for now and not send the more hipster stuff :lol

Damn you Tomislav for sending the same song I wanted to send :lol. Risky it is, then.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #283 on: March 22, 2016, 05:40:27 AM »
I think I need a miracle to not be eliminated, so by all means folks, send risky stuff.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #284 on: March 22, 2016, 05:45:42 AM »
Good to see I managed to be the only one not on Spotify again  :hat  ;D

This time I'm sending a band that never fails to pop up in roulettes these days - might as well get it out the way :lol

Oh fuck off!  I wanted to send them.

"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #285 on: March 22, 2016, 05:49:51 AM »
Wow I didn't expect to be ranked so high! That makes me feel a LITTLE bit better; although now I wish I held on to it :lol

Will send later.
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #286 on: March 22, 2016, 05:51:26 AM »
Anyone have any idea why there is no sound coming out of Spotify for me.  I play the song and the bar and song timer ticks along but no sound, WTF?!

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #287 on: March 22, 2016, 05:52:32 AM »

Damn you Tomislav for sending the same song I wanted to send :lol. Risky it is, then.
First song that came to my mind after I read:

but it's probably worth noting that I have a soft spot for Celtic stuff.

And considering last round I think Bolsters will like it :tup
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #288 on: March 22, 2016, 05:57:39 AM »

First song that came to my mind after I read:

but it's probably worth noting that I have a soft spot for Celtic stuff.

And considering last round I think Bolsters will like it :tup

That was why I wanted to send it as well ::)

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #289 on: March 22, 2016, 06:06:37 AM »
Anyone have any idea why there is no sound coming out of Spotify for me.  I play the song and the bar and song timer ticks along but no sound, WTF?!

Maybe it's playing on a different device, your phone or something? If that's the case click the volume icon to change the device to whatever you're using.

I'm having weird issues with Spotify as of lately too though so it may not be a coincidence. For me Spotify doesn't even open anymore (error 18), which means it's already running, but it still said that after I rebooted the PC so it makes no sense.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #290 on: March 22, 2016, 06:07:28 AM »
Is the volume turned up? :neverusethis:

The only thing I can think of is maybe it's set to stream to another device. Spotify has a connect feature and can stream to compatible devices. If you have such a device on your network (such as your phone) it could be streaming to that instead of playing on the computer. Next to the volume control it should say Devices Available, or nothing at all. If it has something other than that written there, click it and select your computer.

Edit: despite being ninja'd I don't think this is possible anyway, since I just remembered that it's a premium feature.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #291 on: March 22, 2016, 06:47:40 AM »

No clue. Try reinstalling?  Use the Web Player?

Google has no solutions?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #292 on: March 22, 2016, 06:59:21 AM »
Ah well, that was close. You guys have fun
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #293 on: March 22, 2016, 07:54:21 AM »
Nice!

I'm not sure just yet what I'm going to send for the next round, but you'll have it before the end of the day
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #294 on: March 22, 2016, 08:17:25 AM »
I crashed and burned but I stand by my choice. I did send Larry and his Flask without thinking about it too much because I love them so much. To be fair seeing them live was what made me love them.

I think next time I'll try and pick my song a bit more carefully (probably not though). I think I might possibly have a bit of a skewed view on what people want out of a roulette though, is it to discover new music of any genre from people who's tastes (progressive metal) cross over with theirs or to kind of fill in the blanks (in their banned list), as it were, with popular bands on this forum?

All said and done though this roulette had some great music in the first qualifier (particularly Caligula's Horse) that I will be checking.

Next one I enter, I'll either start more on the metal and of the spectrum, or send something really out there. It's 50/50. Good luck to all the guys still in, I'll be following along anyway.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #295 on: March 22, 2016, 08:31:30 AM »
I think I might possibly have a bit of a skewed view on what people want out of a roulette though, is it to discover new music of any genre from people who's tastes (progressive metal) cross over with theirs or to kind of fill in the blanks (in their banned list), as it were, with popular bands on this forum?
I think different people have different expectations when running a roulette. I go in just wanting to discover new music to enjoy, whether it's something similar to what I already like that I have missed, or it's something I've overlooked that gets brought to my attention, or being exposed to something I wouldn't look for or think I would like. I do appreciate that you sent me something out of my comfort zone and tried to expose me to something I wouldn't normally look for, but the caveat to this approach is that it carries a higher risk. It just didn't pay off in this one instance, unfortunately.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #296 on: March 22, 2016, 08:54:02 AM »
Sent. What I was thinking of sending was on your banned list, so I went with another choice; actually one I haven't heard in ages, and was like whoa this would be good to send to Bolsters so I did :lol

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #297 on: March 22, 2016, 11:16:51 AM »
I think I might possibly have a bit of a skewed view on what people want out of a roulette though, is it to discover new music of any genre from people who's tastes (progressive metal) cross over with theirs or to kind of fill in the blanks (in their banned list), as it were, with popular bands on this forum?
I think different people have different expectations when running a roulette. I go in just wanting to discover new music to enjoy, whether it's something similar to what I already like that I have missed, or it's something I've overlooked that gets brought to my attention, or being exposed to something I wouldn't look for or think I would like. I do appreciate that you sent me something out of my comfort zone and tried to expose me to something I wouldn't normally look for, but the caveat to this approach is that it carries a higher risk. It just didn't pay off in this one instance, unfortunately.

I think that is how I would approach a roulette. I know what I sent was high risk and I think I will continue to do so. I'm not in it to win it, just to expose people to great music that could easily be missed due to the country you live in or popularity of said band.

There has been an incredible ska/punk scene in the UK over the last 10 years or more but it's all fairly underground and most people are unaware of it. Some quality bands though.

Might host a roulette later this year just to see what inspired tunes I'd receive.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #298 on: March 22, 2016, 01:16:13 PM »
1. I'll be happy to have you in my roulette (probably starts somewhere after upcoming summer), I've proven to be open to experimental and out of the ordinary stuff to a certain extent, it has paid off sometimes but also failed quite a bit. There's likely going to be a qualification round for that one aswell though.

2. If you want to run a roulette yourself you're better off signing up earlier than later, the current waiting list would take about 5-6 months I'd guess, until the person on bottom of the list is up.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #299 on: March 22, 2016, 01:22:57 PM »
I'll either send in half an hour or just tomorrow. Will it be alright to send a song in 24 hours from now on? I'm just too tired right now to pick something.

I know this might be a little strange coming from me, probably my exhaustion is to blame, but... do you mind growls? :lol Think Epica.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #300 on: March 22, 2016, 01:35:16 PM »
wow now I don't have to ask about growls myself  :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #301 on: March 22, 2016, 03:06:37 PM »

Maybe it's playing on a different device, your phone or something? If that's the case click the volume icon to change the device to whatever you're using.

I'm having weird issues with Spotify as of lately too though so it may not be a coincidence. For me Spotify doesn't even open anymore (error 18), which means it's already running, but it still said that after I rebooted the PC so it makes no sense.

Is the volume turned up? :neverusethis:

The only thing I can think of is maybe it's set to stream to another device. Spotify has a connect feature and can stream to compatible devices. If you have such a device on your network (such as your phone) it could be streaming to that instead of playing on the computer. Next to the volume control it should say Devices Available, or nothing at all. If it has something other than that written there, click it and select your computer.

Edit: despite being ninja'd I don't think this is possible anyway, since I just remembered that it's a premium feature.

No clue. Try reinstalling?  Use the Web Player?

Google has no solutions?

Nothing has changed, it's on my PC and the volume is up.  Used it one day, worked fine, the next no sound, weird.  I don't know, I'll have a play around later on.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #302 on: March 22, 2016, 06:26:09 PM »
Update and/or reinstall may e

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #303 on: March 22, 2016, 07:02:11 PM »
1. I'll be happy to have you in my roulette (probably starts somewhere after upcoming summer), I've proven to be open to experimental and out of the ordinary stuff to a certain extent, it has paid off sometimes but also failed quite a bit. There's likely going to be a qualification round for that one aswell though.

2. If you want to run a roulette yourself you're better off signing up earlier than later, the current waiting list would take about 5-6 months I'd guess, until the person on bottom of the list is up.

Cheers dude. I should probably get my name added to the list. I got my name added on to the 'top 50 albums' list but still haven't gotten around to doing write ups. It's hard enough picking a top 50, let alone everything that goes with it!

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #304 on: March 22, 2016, 07:02:23 PM »
I've got 9 out of 14 submissions thus far.

I'll either send in half an hour or just tomorrow. Will it be alright to send a song in 24 hours from now on? I'm just too tired right now to pick something.
Yeah, that's fine.

I know this might be a little strange coming from me, probably my exhaustion is to blame, but... do you mind growls? :lol Think Epica.
Growls/harsh vocals can be a bit hit or miss with me. The style used by Epica is acceptable in moderation however.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #305 on: March 22, 2016, 07:10:59 PM »

Cheers dude. I should probably get my name added to the list. I got my name added on to the 'top 50 albums' list but still haven't gotten around to doing write ups. It's hard enough picking a top 50, let alone everything that goes with it!

Do it now. My names been on the list probably since October. Still waiting.. :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #306 on: March 22, 2016, 07:27:09 PM »
Growls/harsh vocals can be a bit hit or miss with me. The style used by Epica is acceptable in moderation however.
yeah that's what i thought

i might have trouble sending you any of the metal i've been into recently if this is the case  :lol
but i need to send metal, apparently i sent zero metal last roulette somehow

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #307 on: March 22, 2016, 07:47:06 PM »
Now that I've had a chance to read thru all the writeups and retort (other than Brent beating me to the punch on the band in question)...

Oh, told ya Chad.

Indeed you did.  Glad you enjoyed Dave.  Gonna take a different approach this round though.  And should I make it through to the main competition, I'm going to personally challenge myself to hit all 'bonus' themes - though I know there's only 3 (?) bonus points available.

I just realized Green Carnation isn't banned and we can send one song without any length limit in the main competition.

Did I miss this 'rule' somewhere?  If so Ruslan, hands off!  You know what I'm sending - I already checked that the band is not banned.  And this time, I mean it... I'm sending it.

I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #308 on: March 22, 2016, 07:47:53 PM »
whoever sends LoDDoD in round 1 is the true winner of the roulette

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #309 on: March 22, 2016, 08:32:25 PM »
And should I make it through to the main competition, I'm going to personally challenge myself to hit all 'bonus' themes - though I know there's only 3 (?) bonus points available.

Me too.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #310 on: March 22, 2016, 08:35:26 PM »
And should I make it through to the main competition, I'm going to personally challenge myself to hit all 'bonus' themes - though I know there's only 3 (?) bonus points available.

Me too.

Copy cat.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #311 on: March 22, 2016, 08:36:57 PM »
i'm going to send random crap that bolsters will arbitrarily decide fits the theme, sometimes

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #312 on: March 22, 2016, 08:38:17 PM »
Me too.
You can do that if you want, but I'd recommend picking out which three you want the bonus points from because.....reasons. :neverusethis:

we can send one song without any length limit in the main competition.
Did I miss this 'rule' somewhere?  If so Ruslan, hands off!  You know what I'm sending - I already checked that the band is not banned.  And this time, I mean it... I'm sending it.
I guess you did. But I should tell you all that the longer the song is the less likely I am going to be to absorb it in the short time I will have to listen to it. I also won't be able to listen to it as many times as I would a shorter song. And if I'm being honest, I would actually prefer if no one sent anything longer than the 12 minute limit - I just wanted the option to be there.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #313 on: March 22, 2016, 08:48:26 PM »
^ Yeah... but I've got these.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #314 on: March 22, 2016, 09:07:28 PM »
i couldn't find any metal i think you'd really like so i sent something else instead
goodbye all

i was gonna send caligula's horse but welp