Author Topic: Indiana Jones 5 - 2019  (Read 7850 times)

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
Re: Indiana Jones 5 - 2019
« Reply #70 on: September 02, 2023, 04:07:08 PM »
Watched an hour and a half of this tonight. Dull. Better than KOTCS? Hmm. I thought it was to start with but there's no interest to hook me in at all. At least Skull had some campy fun about it.

Love Phoebe WB but even her smirking all over it isn't having any effect on me.

Doubt we'll be finishing it.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #71 on: September 02, 2023, 06:13:25 PM »
Watched an hour and a half of this tonight. Dull. Better than KOTCS? Hmm. I thought it was to start with but there's no interest to hook me in at all. At least Skull had some campy fun about it.

Love Phoebe WB but even her smirking all over it isn't having any effect on me.

Doubt we'll be finishing it.

I’ve never watched KOTCS and don’t plan to. Don’t plan on ever watching this one as well. For all intents and purposes The Indiana Jones series ended for me with the Holy Grail.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #72 on: September 02, 2023, 06:28:24 PM »
Why, Gary?  It wasn't bad.  I haven't seen the new movie yet. But I will.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #73 on: September 02, 2023, 07:29:32 PM »
Why, Gary?  It wasn't bad.  I haven't seen the new movie yet. But I will.

I think the fact that I let it go too long without seeing it then heard all about it and how it wasn’t really that good…I just didn’t want to tarnish the Indiana Jones image with inferior product.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: September 02, 2023, 07:36:44 PM »
It isn't that bad.  I would tell you to watch it. It you do, pm me.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline jammindude

« Reply #75 on: September 02, 2023, 08:19:53 PM »
Don’t listen to him. Crystal Skull was freaking awful and I wish I hadn’t seen it.

The NEW movie however, was a complete turnaround, and IMO you’re doing yourself a grave injustice by not checking that out.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #76 on: September 02, 2023, 08:44:10 PM »
It wasn't that bad at all. You're being a drama queen Chris.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #77 on: September 02, 2023, 08:46:08 PM »
It wasn't that bad at all. You're being a drama queen Chris.

I’m Ben, but you are probably right.

I mean, it was pretty bad…but I realize I can be a bit dramatic.  :loser:

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #78 on: September 02, 2023, 08:57:16 PM »
Shit. Sorry  Benjamin.   It isn't  a bad movie.   Just not at the level of the 1st 3 movies. 

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #79 on: September 02, 2023, 09:02:48 PM »
Pretty sure I have to watch them both now just to form my own opinion I guess.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #80 on: September 02, 2023, 09:26:53 PM »
Exactly.   If they are shit, then post about it.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #81 on: September 03, 2023, 09:23:41 AM »
I think Crystal Skull just isn't a particularly good Indy movie, but it's still a perfectly enjoyable watch.  Dial of Destiny on the other hand isn't even very enjoyable really, just a very hollow experience in which all the good bits happen in the first hour (everything after the Tuk Tuk chase is a total non event).

One thing they have in common is both suffer with really poor last acts.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2023, 09:33:22 AM by soupytwist »

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #82 on: September 03, 2023, 10:17:10 AM »
I thought Dial was better than Crystal Skull.

The last act of Dial, wasn't as bad as the last act of Crystal Skull. I think Mats Mikkelsen was a better villain than Cate Blanchett with unconvincing Russian accent.

And while a certain corner of the internet was offended by Phoebe Waller Bridge in this movie, he was much better than Shia LeBeouf.

Raiders, Temple of Doom and Crusade are some of my favorite movies of all time, and these two fall quite a bit below the first 3.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #83 on: September 03, 2023, 10:31:20 AM »

The last act of Dial, wasn't as bad as the last act of Crystal Skull. I think Mats Mikkelsen was a better villain than Cate Blanchett with unconvincing Russian accent.

And while a certain corner of the internet was offended by Phoebe Waller Bridge in this movie, he was much better than Shia LeBeouf.

Raiders, Temple of Doom and Crusade are some of my favorite movies of all time, and these two fall quite a bit below the first 3.

+1 to all of this

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #84 on: September 03, 2023, 12:43:09 PM »

Both great actors trapped in poor roles, but at least Cates got a proper Indy villain death, Mads death is so underwhelming.  He also shouldn't have survived what happened to him in the first encounter with Indy (everybit as silly as nuking the fringe!). 

Phoebe was fine in another fairly thankless role, her relationship with Teddy was weak no real sense they cared for each other much though - unlike Indy and Shorty which they were clearly aping.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #85 on: September 03, 2023, 01:42:20 PM »
I must admit, my interest level in Dial completely dropped through the floor. There wasn’t much buzz about it when it was released, and the early reviews weren’t great.  I’d intended to see it in its theatrical run, but then somehow never got around to it.

I may as well wait until it comes out on Disney + at this point.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #86 on: September 03, 2023, 03:00:51 PM »
Watched the last 45 mins of Dial. Enjoyed the last scene more than the rest of the film. Ford was charismatic of course, but on the whole I found the movie very unengaging. The plot idea was ok, and Indy's reactions to certain events were nice. But on the whole, I found Skull more fun and it had the right spirit, even though I found it pretty crappy last time.

In terms of rankings they get less fun as they go along. The first two, though. Wow...

I watched Ark and Doom with my grandmother when they came out. She used to take me to the cinema when I stayed at her house and she'd always fall asleep through the film. We frequently referred back to the Temple Of Doom visit: "I didn't fall asleep through that one!", she said. 😆

Offline jammindude

« Reply #87 on: September 03, 2023, 03:24:20 PM »
I might rewatch them all soon, but so far I’m sticking with “even numbers suck, odd numbers rule” stance.  3 outta 5 ain’t bad. And even the two bad ones aren’t terrible (Crystal Skull came close)

Offline pg1067

« Reply #88 on: September 05, 2023, 09:28:46 AM »
I had an opportunity to see Dial a second time the weekend before last.  It's absolutely strong.  I'd say Grail > Raiders >>> Dial >> Temple >>>>> Skull.

Not sure why anyone would have a problem with Phoebe Bridge (a "certain corner of the internet"?).  She was excellent, and I could see them doing something with her to extend the series without Ford.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline jammindude

« Reply #89 on: September 05, 2023, 09:50:32 AM »
I had an opportunity to see Dial a second time the weekend before last.  It's absolutely strong.  I'd say Grail > Raiders >>> Dial >> Temple >>>>> Skull.

Not sure why anyone would have a problem with Phoebe Bridge (a "certain corner of the internet"?).  She was excellent, and I could see them doing something with her to extend the series without Ford.

That would be my ranking as well.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #90 on: September 05, 2023, 09:51:16 AM »

I'd probably put them in that order as well. I was kind of lukewarm on Phoebe Bridge's character. Nothing against her as an actor, the character was fine, but not great. I'm personally not interesting in a spin-off.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2023, 06:34:01 AM by lordxizor »

Offline pg1067

« Reply #91 on: September 05, 2023, 05:16:04 PM »
I'm not sure I'd be interested in it either (and I'm not sure I think she could carry a movie without Ford), but I could see them doing it nevertheless.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #92 on: September 06, 2023, 06:21:02 AM »
I'm not sure I'd be interested in it either (and I'm not sure I think she could carry a movie without Ford), but I could see them doing it nevertheless.
If the movie had done really well, maybe. I can't imagine they do given the lukewarm box office receipts.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #93 on: September 06, 2023, 04:19:09 PM »
She's amazing, but the character in Dial was impossible to feel anything about it, other than her charisma as a performer, imo.

If you've not seen both seasons of Fleabag then drop everything and find them. Fantastic tv based on her one-person Edinburgh live show. The second season is one of the best things I've ever watched. 🙂

Offline The Realm

« Reply #94 on: September 06, 2023, 04:45:57 PM »
Totally agree on Fleabag - amazing show.

Haven't seen the latest Indiana Jones movie, just not feeling it but I'm sure I'll watch it at some stage.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #95 on: September 07, 2023, 02:50:58 AM »
I think we won't see another Indiana Jones film, as this one did poorly at the box office. I feel the last major Indiana Jones product with high production values will be the videogame by Xbox gamestudios (Machine games, who made the latest Wolfenstein titles).

But who knows, maybe there will eventually be an adventure film revival, but by that time it won't have any of the current stars/people related to the franchise. x

Anyways, while I don't think Dial is that good, it is a fitting ending and I am glad they made it and have Crystal Skull not be the end. Crystal Skull is like half a good film, but then just sucks for the rest of the run time. Dial is middling throughout with a couple of highlights and a nice ending.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #96 on: September 07, 2023, 03:33:20 AM »
I don't see how the ending of Dial is any better than Crystal, they are basically the same - Indy gets together with Marion, the only difference is Crystal actually features Marion throughout the movie, so at least we get some character progression.  Dial just brings back Marion in the final minute and says everything is OK.  Although I feel the entire last 10 minutes of Dial were changed at the last minute (I think Indy was originally going to stay in the past).

As for more Indy - I doubt we'll see another film anytime soon, but Disney are unlikely to let the IP die, so maybe a TV Show (with a new actor) is the way to go?

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #97 on: October 01, 2023, 07:09:17 PM »
Does anybody know when this film will be released on dvd/bluray?  No mention of it anywhere on the internet., WTH !!!
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline pg1067

« Reply #98 on: October 02, 2023, 09:50:47 AM »
Does anybody know when this film will be released on dvd/bluray?  No mention of it anywhere on the internet., WTH !!!

I know nothing, but my guess is that it'll be released in time for the holiday shopping season.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #99 on: October 02, 2023, 10:26:10 AM »

I know nothing, but my guess is that it'll be released in time for the holiday shopping season.

Same. It'd be silly for them to not do that.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #100 on: January 24, 2024, 07:11:39 AM »
Finally got around to watching Indy 5. It was an entertaining film but not a good Indiana Jones film if that makes sense. It felt like a movie that Indy showed up in. Not sure if that was because of the script, they really couldn't have come up with a better idea?, or because an 80 year old Indian Jones just isn't that entertaining. Easily the worst of the series. I also re-watched Kingdom of the Crystal Skull and I always seem to enjoy more with each viewing. Not as good as the first 3 but still good.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #101 on: January 29, 2024, 09:08:38 AM »
I finally got around to watching it over Christmas when it came out on D+.

Imo it was a sad end to a beloved character. I don’t like what they did with him, and at times it felt like he was a passenger in his own movie.

It seems to be an almost impossible task to recreate the atmosphere and excitement of the movies we loved as youngsters.  Maybe the 80s and 90s were just a special time for movie making?

Offline jammindude

« Reply #102 on: January 29, 2024, 09:19:01 AM »
Sometimes I’m a bit blown away by some of the feedback because Indy 4 was just so god awful that there was nowhere to go but up.

But it’s possibly my intense dislike of 4 that is at least partially shoring up my praise for 5.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #103 on: March 24, 2024, 05:53:07 AM »
Late to the party but I've finally seen this thanks to Disney+.

I guess it was decent. It was probably way too long, and I've lost count of how many times either the heroes or the villains surprise each other at the last possible seconds, and in a movie with time travel, the most unbelieavable thing was the Bullet Deflector that avoided Indy or PWB to get shot any of the 4946 times they got fired upon.

It was a nice closure for Indy's character, and did they really kill his son off screen? Crystal Skull had such a bad reputation that they had to pull a "Poochie died on his way back to his planet"?  ;D

Also, the nazi characters were worked more organically into the story. I don't remember the details of Crystal Skull anymore, but I seem to recall that in the 50s russian spies were all over the USA, at least this one was straightforward: surviving nazis never stopped being nazis and infiltrated society playing the long game. It was not forced.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline The Realm

« Reply #104 on: March 24, 2024, 03:47:03 PM »
Yeah, also watched recently on D+ and thought it was extremely lame. Really did not like it. Even all the  nostalgia they tried to throw in didn't work for me.