Author Topic: Indiana Jones 5 - 2019  (Read 7751 times)

Offline The Realm

Re: Indiana Jones 5 - 2019
« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2022, 11:14:28 PM »
I really enjoyed the trailer, looks great. Just not sure about the title....

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
Re: Indiana Jones 5 - 2023
« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2022, 01:49:02 AM »
Can't believe the original date on this topic!  :lol

I watched the trailer last night. I'm cautiously optimistic, but I don't want to get any hopes up.

I think it's going to be hard to avoid spoilers completely, but I will try to! We got a glimpse of a de-aged Indy at one point - not sure if this is a flashback or maybe some element of time travel? There was that part with what looked like the Millennium Falcon cockpit that kinda suggested something like that.

I really enjoyed the trailer, looks great. Just not sure about the title....

Not sure about the title either - sounds a bit silly.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2022, 06:43:50 AM »
Can’t be any worse than Crystal Skull.

Anyone catch the Millennium Falcon-esque shot?
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2022, 07:21:50 AM »
Maybe it'll be a dial like on Lost.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2022, 07:25:04 AM »
James Mangold is probably the right man to go to on this one.  He showed he can properly send off an aging character in Logan.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2022, 07:47:41 AM »
James Mangold is probably the right man to go to on this one.  He showed he can properly send off an aging character in Logan.

That gives me some hope. Logan was excellent..

Can’t be any worse than Crystal Skull.

Anyone catch the Millennium Falcon-esque shot?

Yes! I'm sure that was deliberate. It was that shot that makes me think they're in some sort of time travel contraption.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2022, 09:14:36 AM »
I really enjoyed this trailer.  Can't wait for this!
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2022, 09:30:38 AM »
Ok did a little reading. Spielberg and Lucas aren't involved in this at all? Always thought these three were a package deal when it came to Indiana Jones.

Per Wikipedia, it's the first IJ movie not directed by Spielberg and without a story written by Lucas.  However, they're both executive producers (whatever exactly that means)/consultants.  John Williams is also involved.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2022, 10:39:01 AM »
Wait, nobody told me Leslie Nielsen was in this:

I'm on the fence on this one. I think the director is a great choice, I get why they want to give closure to this franchise after how Crystal Skull turned out, 5 is a 'nice number' compared to 4, and so on. However, with a 80 year old Harrison Ford this just feels silly to me. Like Naked Gun silly where your protagonist looks like a grandpa but it's played straight. Either Harrison Ford will really show his age in this, or they will have to smear so much CGI vaseline on the lense that the effects will look very dated 5 years from now.

So yeah I hope it will be good but I'm skeptical. I think honestly they should have just Mad Max'd it with a younger actor as Indiana Jones, don't put any emphasis on the fact it's another guy and just make a new movie.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2022, 10:50:00 AM »
Wait, nobody told me Leslie Nielsen was in this:

Surely you can't be serious.

I think honestly they should have just Mad Max'd it with a younger actor as Indiana Jones, don't put any emphasis on the fact it's another guy and just make a new movie.
Yep, cause that turned out swimmingly for Solo: A Star Wars Story.  ;)

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #45 on: December 02, 2022, 11:46:53 AM »
Yep, cause that turned out swimmingly for Solo: A Star Wars Story.  ;)

-Marc.

Maybe Solo: A Star Wars Story would have been more fun to watch if it had Harrison Ford in a brown hair wig and CGI smear in his face playing himself as a 20 year old, but probably for the wrong reasons.  :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #46 on: December 02, 2022, 12:45:13 PM »
The Fordlessness of Solo was only a tiny part of the problem with that movie.

The trailer obviously isn't clear, but it looks like there's someone else - either playing Jones in flashbacks or some weird time travel stuff.  Hence my "I'm not sure what to make of it" comment.  The odd part is that it's apparently set in the late '60s but the Nazis are involved...?

"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: December 02, 2022, 01:39:32 PM »

The trailer obviously isn't clear, but it looks like there's someone else - either playing Jones in flashbacks or some weird time travel stuff.  Hence my "I'm not sure what to make of it" comment.  The odd part is that it's apparently set in the late '60s but the Nazis are involved...?

Secret Nazis infiltrating NASA, I think I heard.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #48 on: December 02, 2022, 01:41:26 PM »

Secret Nazis infiltrating NASA, I think I heard.

But this is in the 60's, not the 2016 election.

:neverusethis:
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #49 on: December 02, 2022, 01:52:54 PM »
I love Phoebe Waller-Bridge (Fleabag series 2 was one of my all-time favourite TV things) so I'm trusting hard in her judgment and involvement.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #50 on: June 30, 2023, 10:37:26 PM »
I went and saw Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny today.  EXCELLENT movie!  Great call backs to the first three.  It was much better than Cats; I would see it again.

SPOILERS BELOW:
The first act was set in the dying days of a war (WWII), with an age appropriate Indiana Jones.  I assume it was done with CGI.  I was totally fine with it.  The plot wasn't completely original.  They went back to the tried and true well of Nazis seeking an artifact that would settle the score.  Fast forward to 1969 and present-day Harrison Ford.  I can't decide if the female lead (Phoebe Waller-Bridge) is hot or not.  I didn't initially care for the character, but she came around.  Was it high cinema?  No, but I really enjoyed it and easily rank it ahead of Temple of Doom.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #51 on: July 01, 2023, 04:19:50 PM »
Thought it was flat.  Underwhelming action (muddied and mostly shot with close quick cuts), no fun in the dialog at all.  Terrible villain (great actor completely wasted).  Phoebe was fine, but she was always fighting the lundem script.  But the worst thing is the effects - the de-aged Indy at the start was so uncanny valley creepy and all the effects thought-out the film just looked unfinished.

No better than Crystal Skull to be honest.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #52 on: July 01, 2023, 07:14:23 PM »
Just saw it. Still sitting in the theater. Loved it. Cried at the ending.

So I guess it’s 1, 3, 5 for the Indy franchise for me.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline pg1067

« Reply #53 on: July 01, 2023, 09:51:18 PM »

Yup.  They nailed it with the odd numbers.

Are you sure you weren't watching Crystal Skull?

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #54 on: July 02, 2023, 01:21:12 AM »
I was hoping for the odd numbers to be the good ones. 1 & 3 are both awesome movies!  I'm hoping 5 brings some redemption from the train wreck #4.   I'll be seeing it on Monday.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #55 on: July 02, 2023, 01:24:29 AM »

Yup.  They nailed it with the odd numbers.

Are you sure you weren't watching Crystal Skull?

Don't understand how you can watch it and think the horrible CGI effects are better than Temple.  Nothing came close to the Voodoo fight into the  Minecart chase into the bridge sequence.  I mean the climax of this film managed to be both a massive plothole and dull in terms of action.  And in terms of threat comparing the villain in this against Mola Ram is like comparing Ronald McDonald to John Wayne Gacy!!

But each to there own I guess!
« Last Edit: July 02, 2023, 01:31:20 AM by soupytwist »

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #56 on: July 02, 2023, 01:55:38 AM »
I don't know why people shit on Temple of Doom so much. Yeah Willie is annoying with her constant screaming and being useless but the rest is really great. It gets extra points in my book for not just reverting back to a lazy "erm the Nazis are the bad guys!".

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #57 on: July 02, 2023, 02:27:58 AM »
I don't know why people shit on Temple of Doom so much. Yeah Willie is annoying with her constant screaming and being useless but the rest is really great. It gets extra points in my book for not just reverting back to a lazy "erm the Nazis are the bad guys!".

It's the one I've watched the most, certainly my fav as a kid.  I still have it second now.  It's probably the best in terms of pure action, nothing beats the final 45 minutes or so - that's just pure excitement.  It's also the darkest, sometimes feels like a horror movie too.  The Banquet scene is so gross yet so awesome and memorable 'Snake surprise, eyeball soup, chilled monkey brains'  ;D

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #58 on: July 02, 2023, 02:30:25 AM »

Haven't seen this yet, and I turbo scrolled past the spoilers on this page but I had to comment on this.

Temple of Doom is one of my favorite movies of all time, as are Raiders and Last Crusade. Temple of Doom is just as good as the other 2 in the classic trilogy. I appreciate that Lucas and Spielberg were attempting something different with Temple of Doom, rather than it just being a Raiders retread.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #59 on: July 02, 2023, 04:41:12 AM »
Raiders of the Lost Ark is a top 10 movie of all time for me and Temple of Doom isn’t far behind. Just not sure why it gets the hate it gets. The opening is awesome, the dinner seen is awesome the whole ending sequence is awesome. Of course it is darker in tone but it comes through in the end. Kate Capshaw wasn’t a great actress and she tries way too hard in some scenes but none of that has ever ruined the movie for me. I also love The Last Crusade but always thought the end scene was just a redo of the opening of Raiders. Didn’t at all like the 4th one.

I have very little interest in seeing the new movie and will probably just wait for it to be released on a streaming platform. Judging by the box office performance it’s looks like I’m not alone with those thoughts.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #60 on: July 02, 2023, 10:52:19 AM »
I suggest the big screen if you can. If nothing else than for that chase scene.

That was the most fun I’ve had at a chase scene since T2.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline pg1067

« Reply #61 on: July 02, 2023, 01:06:17 PM »
Don't understand how you can watch it and think the horrible CGI effects are better than Temple.

I don't recall expressing that opinion.

Obviously, I've seen Temple a bunch of times and have only seen Dial once.  As such, I don't have an opinion about the comparative merits of the effects in the two movies.  If/when I form such an opinion, after having seen Dial a few more times, I'll let you know.

I mean the climax of this film managed to be both a massive plothole and dull in terms of action.  And in terms of threat comparing the villain in this against Mola Ram is like comparing Ronald McDonald to John Wayne Gacy!!

On first blush, I might prefer the villain from Temple over the villain in Dial.

I'm not suggesting there weren't good things about Temple.  Nor am I saying I don't like Temple.  However, it is, IMO, easily the worst of the first three movies, and my initial opinion is that Dial > Temple.  Perhaps that will change over time.  Perhaps not.

EDIT:  Temple was the first of the IJ movies I saw.  I thought it was ok - a bit goofy.  I then saw Last Crusade and was blown away.  I then went back and saw Raiders and was equally as impressed.  They made Temple look pedestrian in comparison.

I suggest the big screen if you can. If nothing else than for that chase scene.

That was the most fun I’ve had at a chase scene since T2.

You and I seem to be mostly on the same page.  However, if you're talking about the scene in Tangier, I feel like chase scenes like that have been done to death.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2023, 01:12:27 PM by pg1067 »

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #62 on: July 02, 2023, 02:02:41 PM »
Spoiler free comments on the new one....  Just saw it.  As a huge Indiana Jones fan my whole life, it definitely was worth the watch, and I know I'll watch it again multiple times at some point in the future.  Easily better than Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.  Not as good as Raiders or Crusade though (in my opinion).  And I don't really mean that in a negative way, those movies (and also Temple of Doom) are so classic (to me) that it would probably be impossible to recapture the same level of awesome.  I liked the action sequences and the story of the new one.  My only minor critique is it probably could have been a little shorter.  There was a stretch through the middle of the movie where I felt it was a bit long with not enough going on.  But that's also just a first impression.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #63 on: July 02, 2023, 07:11:07 PM »
I went and saw Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny today.  EXCELLENT movie!  Great call backs to the first three.  It was much better than Cats; I would see it again.

SPOILERS BELOW:
The first act was set in the dying days of a war (WWII), with an age appropriate Indiana Jones.  I assume it was done with CGI.  I was totally fine with it.  The plot wasn't completely original.  They went back to the tried and true well of Nazis seeking an artifact that would settle the score.  Fast forward to 1969 and present-day Harrison Ford.  I can't decide if the female lead (Phoebe Waller-Bridge) is hot or not.  I didn't initially care for the character, but she came around.  Was it high cinema?  No, but I really enjoyed it and easily rank it ahead of Temple of Doom.

I see what you did there... :lol

I just saw this earlier today and I'll echo the comments that Raiders, Crusade and Dial are the top three. The odd ones won!

I think, overall, it was certainly a fitting way to see Indy out on his adventures, and it felt like an Indy adventure again, but they did enough with Helena that if they wanted to spin her off to her own film or franchise, they could. Bring back Short Round to join her!

Unlike KOTCS, I would not mind watching this one again! At least we know this is the final film in the franchise proper, so now I can finally buy them AOL on BD ans hopefully there's a 5-film set! Maybe throw in the series too.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #64 on: July 02, 2023, 08:06:14 PM »

I was worried that was going to go to waste!

they did enough with Helena that if they wanted to spin her off to her own film or franchise, they could. Bring back Short Round to join her!

Agree as to Helena.  Not sure I'd want to see Short Round again (although I'm sure he'd be much less annoying as an adult!).

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #65 on: July 03, 2023, 01:06:13 AM »

they did enough with Helena that if they wanted to spin her off to her own film or franchise, they could. Bring back Short Round to join her!

Agree as to Helena.  Not sure I'd want to see Short Round again (although I'm sure he'd be much less annoying as an adult!).

I'm guessing he meant Teddy - who was basically Shorty in this film.

Just as an aside - why wasn't Indy arrested/still wanted by the law at the end of the movie?  Did I miss something?

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #66 on: July 03, 2023, 05:07:03 AM »
I really liked Dial of Destiny. A much more fitting end to Indy than Crystal Skull.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #67 on: July 03, 2023, 06:24:07 AM »

I'm guessing he meant Teddy - who was basically Shorty in this film.

No, I meant Short Round, since Ke Huy Quan has returned to acting in the last couple years, it'd be neat to see him come back to the role, even if it was just a cameo.

Just as an aside - why wasn't Indy arrested/still wanted by the law at the end of the movie?  Did I miss something?

I'm pretty sure they had a line in there saying that Schmidt couldn't return to America because he and his men were now convicted of murdering those people at Jones' college. I think this was when the CIA agent was trying to bring them back but got shot instead. I could be remembering exactly when incorrectly but I do recall feeling like there was an explanation as to why Jones was free from those accusations, but it was a quick explanation.

-Marc.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #68 on: July 05, 2023, 06:44:08 AM »
Saw it on the 4th with the wife and kid….

6/10

Confirmed yet again they should have stopped after The Last Crusade.

Too much over the top chase scenes that added nothing to the movie and not enough smarts to make it interesting. I’ll also add that most attempts at humor fell flat. You can usually expect two or three good laughs for an Indiana Jones movie, but my audience had a couple of light hearted chuckles at best.

Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #69 on: July 26, 2023, 12:28:40 PM »
Saw it and enjoyed it. It was too long for it's own good. The main plot could've been better, but to be honest all Indy films should not be thought about deeply in terms of the ancient magical artifact plotlines. I also actually wasn't bothered by the reliance on cgi and young Ford. The cgi artists did not go bonkers like they did with Crystal Skull. I thought the film overall looked pretty good. The characters were all well done and I think the ending was good, one fitting for the franchise.

In a franchise with (to me) one groundbreaking/influential film (1), a good film (3), a bad film (2), and a terrible film (4), I honestly think this fits right in.