Author Topic: the Astonishing guitar tab book  (Read 17045 times)

Offline smegolas

the Astonishing guitar tab book
« on: March 15, 2016, 09:50:56 AM »
For all you shredders out there, I emailed Hal Leonard to see if they planned on releasing an Astonishing tab book and they said they were in the very early stages of “Selections from the Astonishing” but hadn’t obtained permissions, etc.  It sounded like it wasn’t exactly a done deal yet, so I suggest that anyone who might be interested in this email Hal Leonard (halinfo@halleonard.com) to voice your support.  I think there is some awesome stuff on there to play and because of the nature of the album much of it more doable by us mere mortals than past albums.

Offline Thematt202

Re: the Astonishing guitar tab book
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2016, 03:39:48 AM »
Thanks for this!
Shaman take my haaaaand!

Offline goldfalcon

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2016, 07:01:52 PM »
I sent an email after reading this, and just got a response this evening.  I was told they are planning a book for release around October this year, and there were currently 16 songs slated for release.  I asked if there was a possibility of having a complete collection at maybe a higher price point.  I really hope they consider a full transcription, other than the Nomac tracks, obviously.  I'll let you know if I hear anything interesting back.

Alex

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2016, 10:11:02 PM »
Thanks for taking the initiative on this. 

"Selections From?"  That's a bad sign.  Just look at Hal Leonard's less than masterful rendition of Megadeth's Selections from Peace Sells.

I'm going to lobby the them for a full transcription of the album (in two books).  Let's be honest, this is not the most challenging guitar performance for them to transcribe.  If Alfred can handle Octavarium, and Warner Bros Publishing can knock out Six Degrees without issue, then Astonishing can be published in its entirety.

Further, an abridged publication would diminish JP's overall vision and presentation of the story.

Otherwise, Hal Leonard may not be the best suited for this project and DT should make a deal elsewhere. 
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 10:16:44 PM by RaiseTheKnife »

Offline PetFish

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2016, 10:02:58 PM »
I'm guessing they'll leave out the NOMAC stuff but not much else.  r1They probably have to put that just for legal reasons so people don't think they're getting everything when everything isn't playable on guitar.

I remember the Passion & Warfare book when, instead of transcribing something that couldn't be, they got an artist to do a cool drawing for "Ballerina 12/24".

Offline goldfalcon

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2016, 07:22:36 PM »
I'm a little concerned that I was told specifically there were 16 songs slated for release.  Even with the NOMAC tracks, that's still a good chunk missing.  Hopefully that's just where they were at that point and there was more to come.  I really hope they reconsider and just do the whole thing.  The completist in me would be so much happier.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2016, 09:29:52 PM »
Yeah, 16 is definitely just a "selection".  Maybe they want to keep the price at the same level as a single CD, but then they did the entire 6DoIT album, so I dunno.

Even if it were to be more expensive they should know that we'd still get it.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2016, 01:17:04 AM »
DT tab books are one of the few series that get multiple printings due to its continuous appeal to musicians.  I'm pretty sure I could still buy Images and Words on Amazon or at Guitar Center brand new.  That says a lot about its cost benefits in the marketplace.  It will sell better if Hal Leonard invests more in the production phase.  "Selection From" books just are not that appealing.  Metallica Riff By Riff books are a good example in comparison to the full album transcriptions.   

Offline PetFish

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2016, 12:35:36 AM »
Last year or so I emailed them asking if they had any plans to release tablet-friendly versions of their books but they said they didn't.

Personally, I think it's past-due that sheet music and tab books were made with a digital option.  Stick your iPad or whatever on your music stand and have it turn pages automatically while playing along to the song or just a tempo or even manually.  It would be awesome since the books tend to fall over easily unless they're broken-in.  And if you already own a book and had the receipt you could get the digital version for free or maybe a minimal charge.  I'd easily pay another $5 for each book I have to get a digital version.

Offline jsbru

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2016, 12:10:27 AM »
October!  That's a really long time to wait...

Homer Simpson voice: but I want it now!
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.”

― Hunter S. Thompson

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2016, 09:26:08 AM »
I'm willing to wait until October for the full version.  Most of the previous tab books were released relatively quickly after the album release (usually within 3 months), but this double concept album is not a typical DT release. 

Personally, I'm not interested in eBook versions of tabs.  I have a nice printed library going.

Offline bhull

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2016, 10:36:56 AM »
Been lurking around here for a bit, first post.

Email sent.  I'd be even be willing to pony up extra for some kind of box set if they would give us the whole thing.

Offline bhull

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2016, 06:57:29 PM »
Just an update. Below is a copy/paste of the reply I got from Hal Leonard.

Thank you for your email.

We appreciate your interest in our products and the up and coming Dream Theater release.  You are not the first to ask about this.  Here is what the production editor had this to say, since this will be a selections book, containing probably 16 songs (final Approval is not yet given).

It’s selections. There would be way too many pages to fit everything. The band approved the ‘selections from’ approach.

We are sorry we cannot change the copyright or permissions.

Sincerely,

Hal Leonard Product Support

Offline PetFish

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2016, 02:02:28 AM »
Ah well, thanks for getting the update for us, some of it is better than none of it so I'll take all of it when it comes out.

Offline metros269

Offline goldfalcon

« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2016, 11:19:08 AM »
Thanks for the link!  Great to see Tabs and bakerman are doing this book.  I feel way better about it already.  Hipefully they can sneak in a couple more tunes.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2016, 11:35:02 AM »
Not sure if anybody here has read this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Dreamtheater/comments/435r8y/what_are_the_chances_we_get_sheet_music_of_the/

It's cool to hear the level of involvement JP has in the process.

Offline smegolas

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2016, 02:32:06 PM »
no Ravenskill ?!?  :eek

But great that we are getting something.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2016, 02:34:54 PM »
I remember the Passion & Warfare book when, instead of transcribing something that couldn't be, they got an artist to do a cool drawing for "Ballerina 12/24".

:lol  I have that book.  I know exactly what you are talking about.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline PetFish

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2016, 06:27:05 PM »
Great to see Tabs and bakerman are doing this book.  I feel way better about it already.

Yep.  They are the absolute finest at what they do.

Offline jsbru

« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2016, 06:37:32 PM »
no Ravenskill ?!?  :eek

But great that we are getting something.

I was just trying to find even an amateur tab for Ravenskill, but there's not even a crude version on Ultimate Guitar or Songsterr.

I have the 7-string riff when the guitar kicks in mostly down, but I'm kind of winging it on the fills in between.  Love that riff.  It's a BIG riff.  They could have almost made a song out of just that.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.”

― Hunter S. Thompson

Offline jsbru

« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2016, 09:05:01 PM »
Here's what I got for the Ravenskill riff.  It enters with an E power chord and then goes into this (some palm muting and harmonics not notated):

Code: [Select]
                ________                                        __                __     __     __     
         |     |  |  |  |       |     |     |       |    |`    |  |   |          |  |   |  |   |  |   |`
        0     /  /  /  /       /     /.    /.      /.   /     /  /   /          /  /   /  /   /  /   /
                       `------'                         `----'
||-------------------------|--------------------|------------------------|------------------------------|
||-------------------------|--------------------|------------------------|------------------------------|
||-4-----------------------|--------------------|------------------------|-7----------------------------|
||------2------------------|--------------------|--------------------3---|------------------------------|
||-4----2---------------2--|--------------------|--5-----------------3---|-8----5--2--------------------|
||------0------0--2--3-----|---------2-----3----|--5-----------------1---|-------------5--1---0---------|
||-------------------------|--------------------|--3----0--------0---1---|-----------------------3---0--|

________                                                         
         |     |  |  |  |       |     |     |       |    |`   |   |         
        0     /  /  /  /       /     /.    /.      /.   /    /   /          o
                       `------'                         `---'    `---------'
||-------------------------|--------------------|---------------------|-----------------||
||-------------------------|--------------------|---------------------|-----------------||
||-4-----------------------|--------------------|----------------5----|----(5)----------||
||------2------------------|--------------------|--4----5--------5----|----(5)----------||
||-4----2---------------2--|--------------------|----------------3----|----(3)----------||
||------0------0--2--3-----|---------2-----3----|---------------------|-----------------||

Then the "Hopeful and Innocent..." is a C# power chord.

Not totally sure I got that run on the 4th bar exactly right, so any feedback is appreciated.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 09:12:51 PM by jsbru »

― Hunter S. Thompson

Offline SilverRain

« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2016, 01:22:19 AM »
I know that most folks are looking for a Ravenskill tab...

However, I have been transcribing the song by ear for piano, and such I have the chords for the beginning, if anyone is interested~

Offline goldfalcon

« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2016, 01:26:08 PM »
Just got concrete details from Hal Leonard.  Not bad.  Not everything, obviously, but not bad.

160579 GRVPER DREAM THEATER - SELECTIONS FROM THE ASTONISHING                                             $24.99  

NYP                                                 DREAM THEATE               SC                   

Thank you for your email.

Here is the information you have requested:

ETA for Release Date: No earlier than 10/1/2016. 

Table of Contents:

Astonishing               

A Better Life             

Chosen                    

Dystopian Overture         

The Gift Of Music         

Hymn Of A Thousand Voices 

A Life Left Behind        

Moment Of Betrayal        

My Last Farewell          

A New Beginning           

Our New World             

The Path That Divides     

A Savior In The Square     

Three Days                

The Walking Shadow        

When Your Time Has Come   

We hope this information is helpful and thank you for your interest in our publications!

Sincerely,

Hal Leonard Product Support

Offline PetFish

« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2016, 12:40:25 AM »
Good.  Good.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2016, 07:45:04 AM »
I'm glad my five favorites (Dystopian Overture, Three Days, A New Beginning, The Path That Divides, and Our New World) all made it in. Is there any word on a bass guitar version?
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline goldfalcon

« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2016, 07:28:52 PM »
Didn't ask about one, but I wouldn't hold my breath.  I'd love to have one though.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2016, 11:54:17 PM »
I still wonder why they aren't doing the whole thing.  They did the entire Six Degrees release.

I also think a Liquid Tension Experiment "best of" book would be awesome, another one I wonder why they never did.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2016, 11:17:52 AM »

:lol  I have that book.  I know exactly what you are talking about.

As do I.  And it was for Alien Water Kiss.  :lol

THAT is an astonishing tab book.  I was looking at my copy just the other day.  So amazing.

Offline smegolas

« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2016, 09:28:09 AM »
I thought for a second you were saying they transcribed alien water kiss!

great news on the astonishing tab book, im sure there is enough in there to keep us all busy.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2016, 09:58:45 AM »
Ahh, no, AWK was the one with the artist rendering:

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2016, 10:25:08 AM »
lol
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2016, 11:01:06 AM »
That's actually pretty neat. Some nice distance in C.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline jsbru

« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2016, 02:30:52 PM »
Leaving out The Answer and Ravenskill kind of sucks.  I think I can live with everything else.

Maybe we'll have to get a bunch of people together and crowd-source the tab for the rest of the album.  I'm sure sites like songsterr might fill in the gaps, but they're not always accurate.

― Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2016, 02:33:56 PM »
The Answer is like 10 seconds long :lol Should be easy to figure out.