Author Topic: Vocalist Thread  (Read 1486 times)

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
Vocalist Thread
« on: August 18, 2009, 12:23:40 AM »
Just as the title states. Tips, exercises, you name it.

I've been training my voice for years now. Although I'm not very good, I am getting better with every day.....or month.

Though that could just be me being modest, because in every band I've ever been in they bump me up to lead vocalist the second I start singing backing vocal lines.

Discuss vocalisms!

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
Re: Vocalist Thread
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009, 01:24:57 AM »
I, unfortunately, am a horrible singer, despite my best efforts to improve. I just don't have it.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2009, 01:55:51 AM »
I, unfortunately, am a horrible singer, despite my best efforts to improve. I just don't have it.

This. I would love to actually be a decent singer, but I know the MOST I'll ever be able to do are just background vocals that don't require too much skill. :p However, that doesnt stop me from singing along with things, I just accept the fact I am bad at it. :p

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2009, 01:24:32 PM »
I'm just okay, but I have no training and not so great an ear.  I wish I had more time to really develop what I have because I think I could easily be a LOT better.  I can't really offer many tips since I never really had any training myself.  I am good at duplicating what I hear others doing, so that's really how I developed my singing.  I began singing along with anything I heard Geoff Tate or Ray Gillen doing, and really tried to pick up on all the little techniques, phrasings, and tricks they did and see if I could duplicate them.  Later, I started doing that with James as well.

Lately, my upper register has begun to suffer a bit.  I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that I haven't really been using it.  I don't have time to do as much recreational singing as I used to.  In church, all of our songs are 4-part songs.  Although I am a natural tenor, I do not usually sing the tenor parts.  I simply can't.  It's not the range as much as the fact that the tenor parts are not as straightforward in the way they are written, and as I mentioned, I do not have a good ear.  I cannot just look at the sheet music and tell how something should sound, even when I hear the other parts.  I have to be sitting near another tenor who is singing loudly and priminently so I can hear the tenor part and follow along with it if I don't have it memorized.  So, the result is that I've been singing bass for the last few years and really working on my lower register.  I still can't get way down there.  My bottom note is probably an Ab, and it can be a bit of a struggle to hit that on some days.  On a really good day, I can go down to a G or sometimes even an F, but NEVER below that.

Anyhow, that's about it.

I do have to say that my Neon Nights demo was pretty rockin' for as little time as I put into it.  It was a real shame I was as sick as I was when it was time to deliver that one on stage.  :(
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline icysk8r

• DTF Resident Magician
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • www.bedeceived.com
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2009, 01:43:22 PM »
I am okay.  I can carry a tune.  But I struggle on high notes and then drop into falsetto for a fail. [I try to sing DT]  lmao.
www.bedeceived.com

ZOMG WHAT'S AT BEDECEIVED.COM?

I DUNNO!  CLICK THE DARNED LINK TO FIND OUT!

Offline FabiotheIguana

• While Living In Allegory...
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2009, 07:23:51 PM »
I'm a 1st Tenor in an award-winning high school chamber choir. I've been the lead vocalist for all my bands and people usually say I have a great voice.

But I have relative pitch and a really good ear, so i can hear when things are out of tune, even just a little bit. Although I can do that its harder to sing with really good intonation as opposed to just hearing things with good intonation.
I can't imagine how amazing an experience [SCORE] must of been to see.
Remember the holocaust? Now picture the exact opposite

Cake > Pie

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2009, 07:37:18 PM »
I can't sing worth a fuck!

/my part of the thread

Offline Manolito Mystiq

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2009, 05:59:53 AM »
I'm at a stage, where knowledge and technique is pretty good, but the experience is still low. So I now just need to perform, just sing. Without thinking about anything technically.

Like with everything: learn your craft, and if you've done that, forget all about it, and just do your thing.

I've been studying Bel Canto, Speech Level Singing, Complete Vocal Technique, Voice Training System, you name it. I've decided to go for the things that work for me, sort of creating an own method out of it. But now, I need to do it.

I'm a lyric tenor, with a modal (comfortable) range of A2-E5, being able to extend it to F#2-B6 (F#2, non-vocal fry, but it's really low for me, and not comfortable, and E5-A5 is usable, but needs work, and A5-B6 is just crazy and as of yet only for effects: what Ian Gillan did with his trademark screams of G5's or A5's, I try to do with G6's and A6's.

Mano

Offline nakedman

• I will choose free will.
  • "Bitch I look like Goku" - Soulja Boi
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2009, 04:31:45 PM »
My range goes from d2 to b4 chest voice. I can go from b4 to about c6 head-falsetto. I'm not the greatest singer but my range is pretty decent.
Goin to the lite until we meet again<br />Thats what the Korinians say again and again..<br />Light years and light years..<br />don\'t wanna shed more tears..