Author Topic: Dream Theater in Italy - 2016/03/ 17, 18, 19 (Milan) and 20 (Trieste)  (Read 7850 times)

Offline MirrorMask

Two weeks away from my show, I think it's time to have a little space for the italian dates  :hat

Who's gonna be there and when? my concert is on Saturday 19th, third in a row in Milan, Arcimboldi theatre. The pros will be that the band will be fully adjusted to the theatre and its acoustics, the cons will be about James, he may be tired at the third show in a row (and he has a fourth the day after in Trieste), but I look forward very much to the whole experience  :tup

I will be "right beneath the roof", I went for the higher balconies and I got an angle seat, I will have no one on my left... been in the same zone for another concert and it wasn't bad, so I hope I won't feel detached and too far away from the show.

Italian dreamers unite and prepare to be astonished!  :metal
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline erciccio

Re: Dream Theater in Italy - 2016/03/ 17, 18, 19 (Milan) and 20 (Trieste)
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2016, 02:52:01 AM »
Wow, there are very few Italians here..

I will be there with my wife, March 18th!

It's going to be my 14th DT concert
 :metal :metal
Ora che ho perso la vista,ci vedo di più

Offline DreamerTV

• Italian DTFer
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2016, 11:31:59 AM »
I guess i'm the older italian here (in terms of signing to dft)

March 18th for me as well.
Going for my 9th DT concert.

18 and 19 are sold out, and 17 has really few tickets left. All in all DT should expect our usual and incomparable enthusiasm.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2016, 12:12:43 PM »
If I find a wallet on the streets, I will use it to get a ticket for the 17th as well  :metal otherwise, I'll be happy with saturday's show.

It's gonna be my eleventh concert in 16 years!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Eldomm

• Metropolis chemist
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2016, 03:36:08 AM »
I am Italian too, but unfortunately this time I won't be able to attend  :'(

However in the past I've seen them 12 times  :smiley:

Offline SkiFiX

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2016, 04:20:44 AM »
I'm ready for two concerts next week. The 18th  and 19th!

They will be my 15th and a 16th dream theater concerts. The first one was Bergamo 2004.

Offline erciccio

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2016, 07:59:07 AM »
I guess i'm the older italian here (in terms of signing to dft)

March 18th for me as well.
Going for my 9th DT concert.

18 and 19 are sold out, and 17 has really few tickets left. All in all DT should expect our usual and incomparable enthusiasm.

Only 2 (!) tickets left for the 17th, even though I think they will realease some last minutes tickets in the next hours..

I was a bit worried for the three consecutive days in Milan, but looks like it was a great success in terms of ticket sales!

Ora che ho perso la vista,ci vedo di più

Offline SkiFiX

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2016, 09:51:31 AM »
I'm pretty sure that the italian dates will be the highlight of the tour.
Generally the best perfomance (especially Labrie's perfomance) arrive during the last dates of the first leg.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2016, 10:34:35 AM »
I'm pretty sure that the italian dates will be the highlight of the tour.
Generally the best perfomance (especially Labrie's perfomance) arrive during the last dates of the first leg.

Judging from what I heard of Hanover, James is well past his start-of-tour struggling phase.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline escruting

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2016, 12:56:47 PM »
I'm traveling from Barcelona with my girlfriend to attend the Saturday show  :rollin

Row number 9, center-ish. First time in Italy, gonna eat a lot of pasta and pizza :D

Offline Hammer

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2016, 02:22:57 PM »
I'm taking my wife on the 18th; her 2nd show and my 8th. I can't wait!

I signed up for the meet and greet before the show, but I haven't received an email about the details. Has anyone else?

-Hammer

Offline Octavarious

• Scenes from a Mesmerism
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2016, 04:55:58 PM »
I'll be there for the Sat 19th show, 6th row center stage... Very good spot.
Come on my own from Rome couple of hours before the concert, and will leave early morning after...
Family calls and can't be away too long...
Pretty sure it's going to be great!
From Rome, with love.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2016, 02:00:18 PM »
Tomorrow it's gonna be the first date... can't believe it's finally here! I actually don't feel that it's this very saturday that I will see them... I guess it's good, otherwise anticipation would have killed me!

Offline Awake77

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2016, 03:04:27 PM »
Hi everybody,
I will there tomorrow (Friday) with my wife, I am really excited!
I will let you know my impressions on Saturday if I find some spare time.
It will be my 6th time seeing them live, the first one was roughly 20 years ago!

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2016, 03:16:04 AM »
Read on some comments about the first italian concert that also in this theater they're very strict about the "no photo and no videos" policy (even though in that same theatre at a different concert I could take photos without no one stopping me). A pity for an amateur photographer like me... but I guess there are worse things that can happen than being "forced" to be fully dedicated and committed to watch The Astonishing live.

Still, damn!

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2016, 04:47:06 AM »
It has been widely publicized that they are very strict on that in theaters. It shouldn't come as any surprise anymore.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2016, 06:34:16 AM »
it is not the theaters that are strict - it's the bands rules. the security would much rather use their resources on keeping the environment safe than to go hunt for cell phone lights. (source: security guard and venue in norway)

I suspect the reason is that they want the show to be immersive, and they cant do that if the visuals are hindered by a sea of cell phones...

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2016, 01:25:27 PM »
In five minutes they will begin... aaaaaaaaah!!!!! a coworker is there, my turn comes tomorrow, luckily I didn't feel the anticipation in the last days but now it's rising hard!!!!  :metal

Offline Awake77

« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2016, 03:00:58 PM »
Hi everybody!
I was there yesterday evening (Friday), I didn't manage to write until now.
The concert was great, my wife and I had a great time. Different from the other concerts I had seen, but I knew it, it was refreshing to see them doing something different.
The visuals were good, at least for me. True, they don't exactly TELL you the story, but if you loosely know the story you can understand quite well what is happeneing.
The sound was very good, I could clearly hear the instruments and the mix was well balanced, except for the vocals. In the first half of Act I JLB's voice was not sitting well in the mix and it sounded badly equalized. It got better afterwards. Maybe there was something wrong with the mic, at the beginning of The Gift Of Music, as soon as James started to sing, he was inaudible for roughly 30 seconds.
James was great, he was much more "theatrical" with his voice than on the CD, trying to interpret the characters even more. Maybe this made the sound more difficult to handle, since he was often changing register and type of voice and breathing, and as a consequence we were getting lines with very different volume during a song.
Another problem happened in the beginning of Begin Again (no pun intended); when James started to sing, the music disappeared. James looked around and Jordan started playing along and all went smooth. I guess the problem here was with JP's acoustic guitar which was supposed to be there but no sound was coming; John actually played the electric guitar for the rest of the song. A very minor issue anyway... for the rest, everything was perfect.
I have to say that the most entertaining thing to see is how Mike is playing! He was moving a lot and played as if we was acting, much more than on the previous times I'd seen him. I am a keyboard player but i couldn't look at Jordan because I was too busy staring at MM moving his arms all over the place. The cymbals were clearly audible, more than on the CD, and the overall drum sound was great and added a lot to the songs. I appreciated the drum arrangements much more.
James a few times asked the audience to sing, saying something along the line of "c'mon, sing along, I know Italians like to sing!".
Overall I was very happy and people near me annoyed it a lot as well, hope it's gonna be great also this evening and on the next nights!

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2016, 04:20:59 PM »
Ok, right now it's gonna be so difficult to wait until tomorrow night! good to know that James is into it  :metal

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2016, 09:56:30 PM »
Wow, some great pictures in that site, thanks. I liked some pictures of JM.

I also found this one kind of funny. I'm not very creative when it comes to memes, but I think something interesting could be done with it :P

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2016, 11:06:25 AM »
In an hour or so I will be going. Last post before the concert, the excitement is through the roof!!!! Dream Theater here I'm coming!!!!!!!!  :metal

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2016, 05:39:12 PM »
Aaaand.... I'm back. I should get some sleep but I want to put it all down while it's still fresh.

First of all, damn my luck and the automatic selection of the ticket at the store where I bought it. I asked for the second gallery, the highest and most distant zone of the theatre, but... why o why was I stranded at the very angle, with the light panels in front of me?? I could see only three of the five screens, and I often had to lean to my right to see Jordan better!!! for whatever reason halfway through Act II someone a couple of seats away left and I went there, but had I known that not *every* seat in the theatre grants a proper visual, I would have forked the extra cash for a better seat, screw the price.

Now, the show... wow. Just wow. All the reports about the presentation being amazing were not just fanboys excited, they really went for a great and impressive light show, easily their best so far. The animation was ok, it was not distracting and was underlying some important passages of the song, nothing corny or in your face, it was fitting.

The band was great as always, they feeded off the audience. Every time Petrucci raised his arm a roar from the whole theater came, and even Myung once got one by pointing his arm. Has he ever done anything like that? waving and raising his arm (actually he was more pointing) as a way to pump up the audience? to the best of my knowledge all he has ever done on stage was playing and tackling LaBrie once... anyway, good to see him at least once getting the crowd going!

The sound was good and the songs were all great, even my least favorites from the album were better live. Off the top of my head, let's see... Dystopian Overture was a roaring success. A Better Life was very well received. When your Time has Come also. Three Days is were everyone went nuts, a roaring applause at the end. In A Life Left Behind LaBrie very succesfully got the crowd going during the chorus. Ravenskill also was a blast. A New Beginning basically got people praising Petrucci more than Jesus, and chanting his name at the end of the solo.

Moment of Betrayal was another success from the second act, also The Path that Divides went down great. By the end people could hardly contain their excitement, everyone was clapping during Hymn of a Thousand Voices, and at James' invitation they all stood up for Our New World. Astonishing was met with widespread excitement and of course they all got a very deserved standing ovation. I knew I couldn't hold back tears at the end of this song, hehe!

As for James... he warmed up pretty quickly. The end of The Gift of Music wasn't that great, The Answer was already an improvement and from Act of Faythe on he was basically as good as the studio version, Three Days especially was badass, he was even more theatrical than on the album version. The rest of the show was great, with the occasional and rare difficulty here and there (In Moment of Betrayal he kinda struggled).

Anyone stayed after they left the stage? the "end credits" piece is an abridged and instrumental / orchestral version of Astonishing, closed at the very end of a single Nomac buzz, the one that closes Dystopian Overture. Very funny touch! Also, there was the Nomac boot to take pics and I appeared on stage, too bad I was at the bathroom and I didn't see it, damn! (A friend who was also at the show informed me).

So, all in all, delusion for the bad seat aside (At a different concert there I was in that high balcony but still the sight was good so I figured I could stay there again but no, damn), a very great show, sure Act II flew away but the "fake encore" thing with Our New World "closing" and then restarting with Power Down was a good move, I didn't feel the need for any extra song at all. A wonderful experience, a bet that paid completely off (As many did, I bought the ticket without hearing a single note of the album), and the confirmation of why Dream Theater is one of my favorite bands.

Should they bring this around again, I won't miss it for anything, no matter the price.

It was truly and completely astonishing  :metal
« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 03:57:02 AM by MirrorMask »

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2016, 03:50:46 AM »
Was Chosen also well received in Milan? I listened to a bootleg of the Berlin show, and that song had fans clapping three times (after JP's solo, after the song climax, and at the end of the song)

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2016, 03:56:35 AM »
Yep, I don't remember any specific roar from the crowd but it went down good generally. Being above everyone I could see here and there in the crowd people waving the arms and responding to gestures from the band.

Another cool thing I didn't mention, probably he's doing it every time... at the start of Astonishing Petrucci left his spot to go up front (obviously receiving a roar from the crowd which he incited raising his arm) and then walked around the stage pointing out with his hand the other band members one by one, each one of course receiving a wild roar of applause. That was great  :hat

Online Mladen

« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2016, 04:38:57 AM »
Thank God James seems to finally be getting into it at this point. I need to check the videos or audio, if there is any.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2016, 06:57:58 AM »
Today's show in Trieste was canceled due to a member's (reportedly James's) health condition (a bad influenza, reportedly).
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2016, 07:02:55 AM »
If it's indeed James, it's remarkable how at the third show in a row and only mere hours away from being sick (if he wasn't already) he still sang at least half the songs the way they are on the album  :hefdaddy

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2016, 07:17:05 AM »
Wow, bad luck! I hope it gets rescheduled for fans in that city somewhere in the future.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2016, 08:48:53 AM »
Great review, MirrorMask. Glad you enjoyed it, and great to hear about the crowd response. :tup

Offline escruting

« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2016, 10:17:04 AM »
My opinion on saturday's show:

I sat on the 9th row, center, reading all the opinions about the clear sound and everyone saying you could disinguish every instrument and that the sound was breathy and that the sound wasnt as turned up as a normal concert i thought i was in for a treat, im not the biggest fan of the album but i respect and appreciate it and really like some parts on some songs and i thought that live it would be great to hear it with a nice and crisp/clear sound....

It seems i was wrong. The sound was as loud and muddy as the last time i saw them. The vocals were buried too much and i wouldnt be able to distinguish 80% of the words if i didnt know the lyrics. My girlfriend is not a DT fan and she said she couldnt understand anything ( and she's an english teacher in spain). I thought they would prioritise this, seeing all the effort to make it like a theatre musical i think they went middle of the road on a lot of aspects between a normal metal concert and a musical and it is very clear in the loudness and muddy sound. The first 20 minutes were even worse because everything sounded so metalic and compressed. It improved later but the sound remained very compressed and hollow sounding, i could really hear this on mellow parts with piano, vocals and acoustic guitars. I dont know exactly how to describe what i heard, but, the piano sounded so compressed and hollow, the same for the acoustic guitar, the sound wasnt breathing, the vocals suffered from this too. Well, the whole sound was like this, on the metal parts you cant tell what is wrong, just that its loud and muddy and the cause is probably the loudness and the compression/preset/eq/whatever its called.

Also, i think the acoustics on this theatre arent the best for this kind of music. I could hear the sound resonating on the walls and echoing, this was very clear on some vocals only moments and i'm pretty sure this contributed a lot to make the sound so muddy.

The sound is the thing im most critic about on every metal concert (although im no expert), but when a concert sound good it is a great pleasure. Some examples are the last steven wilson tour (although it was loud, it was also clear and dynamic) and some of the last Opeth concerts.

Apart from the sound. The lighning was superb. Only diminished by the damn LEDs behind the band ( i had to close my eyes for half a minute a couple of times to not suffer some kind of eye seizure).

The band was great. James and petrucci had a couple of hiccups but overall were excellent. Although they do seem to miss normal metal concert behaviours (it was clear the fans do too).

PS. Anyone also thought the seats seemed to be designed for tiny people? Too little space for the legs and feet to have a comfortable position and not have a back ache after the concert...

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2016, 10:26:22 AM »
I hope he feels better.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2016, 10:59:41 AM »
escruting, also another friend of mine who was at the friday show told me, from the central rows, that the sound was a bit muddy. So, either I suck at judging sounds at shows, my earplugs helped a lot, or the acoustics for whatever reason were better way above, beneath the roof, than on the stage level. I could feel the instruments quite good, also the vocals, even though here and there James was indeed a bit more buried in the mix.