Author Topic: Getting started as a lighting technician with a touring band--any insight?  (Read 720 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
My nephew is getting into lighting for stage productions and bands.  He has done some work doing lighting and related work for some theaters and a small tour with “An Irish Christmas,” but he would love it if he could transition to doing some band tours.  I have some music industry contacts that I am running this by.  Does anyone have any insight/advice or any contacts they could possibly share? 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
My nephew is getting into lighting for stage productions and bands.  He has done some work doing lighting and related work for some theaters and a small tour with “An Irish Christmas,” but he would love it if he could transition to doing some band tours.  I have some music industry contacts that I am running this by.  Does anyone have any insight/advice or any contacts they could possibly share?

How old is he?

I know here in Connecticut, getting involved in stage productions - as in the Hartford Stage - is the first step.  They do productions at their own theater which seats maybe 250, but for bigger productions they use the Bushnell Theater.  The Bushnell also is a stop for mid-level bands (I've seen Crimson, ELP, and Sabbath there).   At that point, you start to work Bushnell shows, and then the next step is to make contacts with a road manager or tour manager for whom you're providing services on their tour stop.  From there, it's all about making contacts and establishing relationships.

An alternative (which is a longer putt here in CT, and also why I asked "how old") is getting involved at the college level at like an NYU or something similar. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
I believe he is either 22 or 23.  He does have experience doing lighting for HS and college performances, so he basically did do the things you are suggesting for that level.  He has also done some volunteer work here and there just to learn and gain more experience.  I feel like he is doing the right things.  He just needs the contacts now to make it happen.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Does anyone have any insight/advice or any contacts they could possibly share?

There's a guy I'm friends with on Facebook. He and I went to high school and did robotics together. His name is Kevin Shaw. He's a light tech for the arena at Mohegan Sun. He loves it. You could give him a shout.