Author Topic: Stephen King on the big screen  (Read 31990 times)

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
Re: The Dark Tower Movie + It
« Reply #105 on: May 11, 2017, 10:07:50 AM »
I just finished my re-read of It last night. Almost felt a little dusty  in the room all of a sudden at the very end of Mike's last journal entry.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #106 on: May 11, 2017, 12:33:50 PM »
Also, I have to say that the new trailer for IT gives me real hope that the relationships between the individuals in Loser's Club will get some serious screen-time; looks like the kids nailed it... especially Trash Mouth.  May have to check out Stranger Things on Netflix.

I am honestly excited for IT; in a way that I haven't been excited for a movie in years.  Maybe it is the nostalgia of the book and the old mini-series (really the first real horror movie I had ever watched being a 10-year-old), but I''m feeling that old feeling again.  That feeling, you can only say what it is in French.
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #107 on: May 11, 2017, 12:54:04 PM »
Almost felt a little dusty  in the room all of a sudden at the very end of Mike's last journal entry.

Mike's journals are better than most short stories I've ever read. Sometimes I will pick up the book and just read one of those on its own. He (King, through Mike) is completely successful in conveying the feeling that Derry is different, Derry is terrifying, and the fear Mike and the other six have is very real.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #108 on: May 11, 2017, 01:36:27 PM »
I am curious if the film will dodge the gang bang. My guess would be they avoid it. I remember getting to that part in the book and being like, "wait, whut??"

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #109 on: May 11, 2017, 01:37:30 PM »
Yeah, I can't imagine that makes it into the movie as written in the book. Maybe she kisses them or something, but that's about it.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #110 on: May 11, 2017, 03:22:12 PM »
I find it hard to believe it makes it in, but at the same time, creepy as it is, I worry that the story won't feel right if they exclude it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #111 on: May 12, 2017, 07:23:50 AM »
I am curious if the film will dodge the gang bang. My guess would be they avoid it. I remember getting to that part in the book and being like, "wait, whut??"

Lol me too. There is no way they include it. That being said, I'm looking more forward to It than the Dark Tower.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #112 on: August 02, 2017, 03:47:02 PM »
Just scored (2) tix to The Dark Tower Screening for movie critics tonight.

I've never read the books so I'll have nothing to go off of....but it looks interesting.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #113 on: August 02, 2017, 04:18:43 PM »

I've never read the books so I'll have nothing to go off of....but it looks interesting.

If you're a fan of any of his work the tower series is well worth the read. The series ties almost everything else together in one way, or another.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #114 on: August 02, 2017, 05:06:28 PM »

If you're a fan of any of his work the tower series is well worth the read. The series ties almost everything else together in one way, or another.

So much this.  The movie and books are only loosely related from what I've heard (though, keeping myself very much in the dark about the movie - pun totally intended).  It's quite the journey to read the books, but well worth it.  I just finished re-reading the series a couple weeks back.  Took a little over a year (though, there was about a 3 month break in there as well).

It is next... though I don't think I'll see it in theaters - I'll wait for rental/Netflix.  It's 1400 pages on my iPad!!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #115 on: August 02, 2017, 05:20:46 PM »
I've heard the book series is incredible....from lots of people that I trust. But like the Game of Thrones books I just can't commit to reading it right now.

I'm on a list for Sony that sends out these invites to movie screenings for the St. Louis movie critics and if you claim them fast enough you can see free movies. This one looked intriguing so I'm curious to see it but know the book is most certainly better.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #116 on: August 02, 2017, 08:14:20 PM »
Not having anything to base the movie off I thought the movie was good. Nice pace, they get the point across that the gunslinger and MIB have been at it for a while and do a good enough job making you care about the kid.

Pretty cool visual effects in parts as well also.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #117 on: August 02, 2017, 09:04:58 PM »
Not having anything to base the movie off I thought the movie was good. Nice pace, they get the point across that the gunslinger and MIB have been at it for a while and do a good enough job making you care about the kid.

That's very good news. I'm a member of a large Dark Tower community on facebook, and there was a fear among many of the members that the back story would be lost on people that hadn't read the books. For it to be successful and for there to be more movies etc... this initial movie needs to come across well to a broad audience.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #118 on: August 02, 2017, 09:09:32 PM »

That's very good news. I'm a member of a large Dark Tower community on facebook, and there was a fear among many of the members that the back story would be lost on people that hadn't read the books. For it to be successful and for there to be more movies etc... this initial movie needs to come across well to a broad audience.

I'd go see another one if they did it. For what it's worth I overheard a group of guys who had obviously read the books talking after the movie and they seemed happy with it.

It made me want to know more about the history between the gunslinger and MIB because there's obviously a long one there.

Offline PowerSlave

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #120 on: August 03, 2017, 07:20:11 PM »
https://consequenceofsound.net/2017/08/idris-elba-to-star-in-the-dark-tower-tv-series/

Wow. That's cool. One thing that the article mentioned was the short film length. I was surprised by that as well given the vast amount of material to pull from. I'd have gladly sat through a 2-1/2 to 3 hour movie. I thought it was good but you could tell there was SO much more they could have ventured off to

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #121 on: August 03, 2017, 07:31:33 PM »
https://consequenceofsound.net/2017/08/idris-elba-to-star-in-the-dark-tower-tv-series/

Wow. That's cool. One thing that the article mentioned was the short film length. I was surprised by that as well given the vast amount of material to pull from. I'd have gladly sat through a 2-1/2 to 3 hour movie. I thought it was good but you could tell there was SO much more they could have ventured off to

I read another article a few days ago that suggested that there were too many people with veto power over what went into the movie. There's a production company that owns the rights, then there's Sony pictures and finally SK also had a lot of say in the final decisions. The person that wrote the article said that things kept getting removed by one entity, or another, and that's why the movie length was so short.

I'll admit that I was a little bit shocked when I heard about that. There is another way of looking at it, though. The first book in the series is fairly short. They may have decided to do the same with the first movie to make it easier for people that don't know the books to understand what's going on.

I'll have a better idea about this after I've seen the movie, hopefully. I'm going to try to see it Friday, or Saturday.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #122 on: August 04, 2017, 02:10:53 AM »
Oh God this is getting utterly panned.   So disappointed, this is always going to be hard to adapt, but it sounds like not only have they struggled to get the source material to screen, they have also just made a plain up bad film (I've seen at least two comparisons to Jonah Hex).  Sounds like this isn't even a 95 minute adaption of The Gunslinger, this is a adaption of the 'highlights' of the entire series. 

Fuck.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 02:47:31 AM by soupytwist »

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #123 on: August 04, 2017, 07:45:09 AM »
Oh God this is getting utterly panned.   So disappointed, this is always going to be hard to adapt, but it sounds like not only have they struggled to get the source material to screen, they have also just made a plain up bad film (I've seen at least two comparisons to Jonah Hex).  Sounds like this isn't even a 95 minute adaption of The Gunslinger, this is a adaption of the 'highlights' of the entire series. 

Fuck.

guess I'm glad I never read the books now. Not knowing seemed to help because I didn't think the movie was all that bad. As I said, you could get the sense there was more to the story than what they were depicting but all in all it wasn't the worst movie I've ever watched.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #124 on: August 04, 2017, 07:48:35 AM »
As huge lover of all things Stephen King and specifically this series I'm going to avoid this film. There is no way I would it enjoy it.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #125 on: August 05, 2017, 12:19:39 AM »
I went to see the film a few hours ago. I won't give away much in spoilers, but I don't really know how to make small text and I'm going to go into a few thoughts. So if you want to avoid reading some things then this is your warning.

The movie is the 5th cousin that's twice removed by marriage from the source material. In other words, they are only distantly related. I began reading this series in the late 80's when I was a teenager, and I've read the entire series through several times. I wouldn't consider myself an expert in any sense of the word, but I'm definitely a "Tower Junky". There are references to every book in the series with the exception of Wizard & Glass in this movie, but every reference was seriously altered.

The characters were also altered in fairly significant ways. Of course everyone knows about Idris being cast to play a character that is described as looking like a late 60's to early 70's version of Clint Eastwood. That turned out to be very minor in the grand scheme of things. After seeing the movie, I'd think it would be safe to say that he played his character closer to the source than any of the other characters in this film. There were still some differences, but I think that those differences were dictated by the pacing of the film itself much more than anything else.

The kid that they had playing Jake Chambers also played the character fairly close to the source. It's a little bit tougher for me to tell in his case because the situations that the character was put into in the movie are so significantly altered from the source. One of the biggest let-downs in the film is his encounter with the demon in the haunted mansion. They took one of the most defining sequences from the books and boiled it down to a very brief set of shots that captured none of the tension that was provided in the original story telling. I haven't read every SK book, but I've read a great deal of his work, and in my humble opinion that might be the most intense situation that he's ever put a group of his characters through. The only thing that rivals that part of The Wastelands is when the Losers encounter IT when they were children. Needless to say, but I was very disappointed in the movie's portrayal of that sequence.

Matthew Mcconaughey's portrayal of Walter/Flagg/The Man in Black was hugely different from the source material. The tittering lunatic from the books was nowhere to be seen in this film. Instead, we got a character that was very calculated in his evil. In fact, if you would have told me that this movie was a cross-over between SK and The Star Wars universe, and that Walter was a character named Darth Flagg then it would have been more believable. He used Jedi mind tricks and had force powers where he was able to throw various objects at The Gunslinger much like Darth Vader did with Luke in The Empire Strikes Back. I did very much enjoy the scene in the restaurant where he made the two Low-Men kill each other, however.

Overall, I'm still glad that this movie was made. I believe that it could have been done much worse. However, as I stated before, I'm a huge Tower Junky. These stories are very near and dear to me, so seeing significant changes being made to them is a little bit difficult for me, but I would still encourage anyone and everyone to take the film in for themselves. There's a lot there for dedicated readers, and those who haven't turned a page to enjoy about this movie.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #126 on: August 06, 2017, 03:29:16 PM »
I went to see the film a few hours ago. I won't give away much in spoilers, but I don't really know how to make small text and I'm going to go into a few thoughts. So if you want to avoid reading some things then this is your warning.

The movie is the 5th cousin that's twice removed by marriage from the source material. In other words, they are only distantly related. I began reading this series in the late 80's when I was a teenager, and I've read the entire series through several times. I wouldn't consider myself an expert in any sense of the word, but I'm definitely a "Tower Junky". There are references to every book in the series with the exception of Wizard & Glass in this movie, but every reference was seriously altered.

The characters were also altered in fairly significant ways. Of course everyone knows about Idris being cast to play a character that is described as looking like a late 60's to early 70's version of Clint Eastwood. That turned out to be very minor in the grand scheme of things. After seeing the movie, I'd think it would be safe to say that he played his character closer to the source than any of the other characters in this film. There were still some differences, but I think that those differences were dictated by the pacing of the film itself much more than anything else.

The kid that they had playing Jake Chambers also played the character fairly close to the source. It's a little bit tougher for me to tell in his case because the situations that the character was put into in the movie are so significantly altered from the source. One of the biggest let-downs in the film is his encounter with the demon in the haunted mansion. They took one of the most defining sequences from the books and boiled it down to a very brief set of shots that captured none of the tension that was provided in the original story telling. I haven't read every SK book, but I've read a great deal of his work, and in my humble opinion that might be the most intense situation that he's ever put a group of his characters through. The only thing that rivals that part of The Wastelands is when the Losers encounter IT when they were children. Needless to say, but I was very disappointed in the movie's portrayal of that sequence.

Matthew Mcconaughey's portrayal of Walter/Flagg/The Man in Black was hugely different from the source material. The tittering lunatic from the books was nowhere to be seen in this film. Instead, we got a character that was very calculated in his evil. In fact, if you would have told me that this movie was a cross-over between SK and The Star Wars universe, and that Walter was a character named Darth Flagg then it would have been more believable. He used Jedi mind tricks and had force powers where he was able to throw various objects at The Gunslinger much like Darth Vader did with Luke in The Empire Strikes Back. I did very much enjoy the scene in the restaurant where he made the two Low-Men kill each other, however.

Overall, I'm still glad that this movie was made. I believe that it could have been done much worse. However, as I stated before, I'm a huge Tower Junky. These stories are very near and dear to me, so seeing significant changes being made to them is a little bit difficult for me, but I would still encourage anyone and everyone to take the film in for themselves. There's a lot there for dedicated readers, and those who haven't turned a page to enjoy about this movie.
I was going to type up my response to the movie, but I think this pretty much sums it up for me exactly. Except that I fell in the love with a books a decade ago instead of in the 80s.

While it was fun to see, it seemed like they took everything that made the books awesome and dumbed it down or genericized it, likely in an attempt to reach a larger audience. Oh well. I went in with fairly low expectations.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #127 on: August 09, 2017, 04:53:37 PM »
Just got back..I had read the first book decades ago and never followed through with the rest of the series, so I pretty much went into this blind.

Entertaining at least, I enjoyed myself. Could definitely tell a ton of story was missing, and I was stunned by how short the movie was. I never checked a time length, but was expecting a good 2 1/2 to 3 hour movie, so was honestly expecting a whole other level of drama when the climax of the movie happened.

All in all though, glad I went to see it.

Offline lucky7

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #128 on: August 25, 2017, 03:23:16 AM »
Just saw the movie last night. Did anyone notice (what I think) may be little nods to Stephen King. (It may be in the books but years since I read the first one)

1408 just above the portal.
Rita Hayworth Poster (Shawshank) in the Gun shop.

There may be more, these were just the most obvious.

During Annabelle that showed Stephen King introducing a long preview of IT, which was the first few minutes. Pennywise, still creepy, but I am used to Tim Curry.
Apart from that it was identical opening to the mini series, which I re watched about a month back. Which I suppose they needed to do to set everything else in motion.
Looking forward to the movie... :corn

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #129 on: August 25, 2017, 04:28:10 AM »
The abandoned amusement park on Mid-World was called 'Pennywise'. That was the only nod I picked up on during the movie.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #130 on: August 25, 2017, 07:06:10 AM »
So It is tracking towards not only having the best opening of any Stephen King adaptation but the best September opening ever. I hope that bodes well for the second half being made.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #131 on: August 28, 2017, 04:56:50 PM »
It appears to be getting lots of positive press. It's make favorite novel, but I haven't been following this production much. I don't greatly care for the miniseries, and never had any desire to see another screen version. But this is getting me hyped.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #132 on: August 29, 2017, 06:51:38 AM »
Yes, the reviews have been very positive. Not only is it supposed to be scary as hell but a great film in general. I finally talked my wife into seeing it with me.

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #133 on: September 04, 2017, 02:46:53 PM »
I'm so excited for It. Everything I've been seeing, from Bill Skarsgard's take on Pennywise, to The Losers Club, to hearing a bit of the score, to the look of the film - I'll be there at the 7pm showing on Thursday  :tup

Offline lucky7

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #134 on: September 07, 2017, 03:25:45 PM »
I just posted in last movie you saw thread....

Being the first one to post, I don't want to give anything away .... Georgie's drain scene is pretty graphic without seeing much.
Pennywise is creepy, the special effects are okay, nothing earth shattering. This movie is all about the kids. One of the cast of Stranger Things, I loved Eddie.
There is an extra Bully .. why do they cast kids, then cast bullies that seem at least seven to eight years older?!
I don't know where it was filmed, but Derry looks like a great town. Even if this was a horror film.
I liked the movie .. but two hours in, and still on the kids, let's just say there will be a Part 2. I won't say anymore until others have seen it.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #135 on: September 07, 2017, 03:56:55 PM »
jingle.son and I are seeing it in an hour.  I'm actually a little worried... on my own behalf.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #136 on: September 07, 2017, 06:35:36 PM »
There is an extra Bully .. why do they cast kids, then cast bullies that seem at least seven to eight years older?!

I haven't seen the film yet, but I do have a theory about this. First thing that comes to mind is that when Henry is described in the book he is physically more mature than any of the kids in the Losers. His crazy ass father makes him do a lot of chores on their farm, and he uses his superior physical strength against the Losers when they're kids. Second thing that comes to mind is that if Henry and his buddies were presented as being merely equal in strength to the rest of the kids around them then defeating them wouldn't come off as being anything special, or insurmountable to the viewer. For this kind of story to work they need to be as imposing as possible, or else it would look like a hollow victory.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #137 on: September 07, 2017, 09:42:02 PM »
Bowers definitely did a ton of manual labor, and I have a feeling he might have been held back a year. Victor Criss I believe was a good athlete. And the Losers are not only meek individuals, but also physically unimposing. The thought of ever fighting back, or even standing up for themselves, never occurs to any of them until Mike makes them 7 in the rock yard.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #138 on: September 08, 2017, 12:41:38 AM »
Holy crap, "It" was such a fun watch. I wouldn't even call it a horror movie, though it did have some pants-shittingly creepy scenes (I'm looking at you, fugly painting woman). The movie was scary when it wanted to be scary, and hilarious when it wanted to to be funny. Great chemistry amongst the kids.
Now, here is my question for everyone:

Assuming, per the movie's logic, that the sequel takes place 27 years later in the year 2016, what actors should play the role of their child counterparts?

Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #139 on: September 08, 2017, 02:55:30 AM »
It was fantastic! I love the book, and this is one of the best adaptations of a Stephen King novel I've seen. Yes, like many adaptations, it took some liberties, and that comes with filmmaking. The movie is way, way better than that 90's mini-series. 

I remember reading the novel my first time, and my palms were perspiring, and i felt uneasy. I felt that way watching It. The creepy scenes were scary. I have never seen a horror movie do to kids what this movie has done with limbs and gore. In many horror films, the camera shies away from the kill. This movie didn't, and I was genuinely surprised. And it works, because us as human beings know that it is inherently wrong to terrorize children. But years and years of horror films show that we don't have a problem with adults and teens getting killed off. 

The Losers Club was great, and not because the film took the time to develop them. These seven kids are exceptionally bright and smart actors. Each of them played their role incredibly well. Jaeden Lieberher who plays Bill is one of the most talented child actors working today. Finn Wolfhard of Stranger Things fame was terrific as he was funny. Sophia Lillis's take on Beverly was incredibly dignified. She's an actress to keep an good eye on.

With all due respect to Tim Curry, who put on a hell of a performance for that miniseries, Bill Skarsgard got the essence of Pennywise right. His take is inherently more sinister than Curry's, and he seems like he really embraced that he was playing an interdemensional being who embodied a child's worst fear rather than an evil clown. The glee he has messing with the kids is perfect. Then he switches off, and that's when he is the most disturbing. We see glimpses of Pennywise in his true form, and it's grotesque, but when Bill Skarsgard acts like he is the shell of the true form...his jaw slacks, his eyes looks unfocused...he's incredibly terrifying.

I've had 3 or 4 hours to think about this film, and I really think it sit comfortably along with the very best Stephen King adaptations, including Carrie and The Shining. It was a great horror film, and a great adaptation. I can not wait to see what they'll do with the grown up versions of The Losers Club in It: Chapter 2

Assuming, per the movie's logic, that the sequel takes place 27 years later in the year 2016, what actors should play the role of their child counterparts?

I'd like to see Amy Adams as adult Beverly. I also think it would be cool to see Seth Green reprise the adult version of Richie, in which he played the child version in the 1990 miniseries. The humor that was given to Finn Wolfhard would fit his style!