Author Topic: Stephen King on the big screen  (Read 31986 times)

Offline kaos2900

Re: The Dark Tower Movie
« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2016, 09:08:42 AM »
The approach of making the films a sequel is very intriguing. And as mentioned above if King is okay with the direction they are going than I'm cool with it. I've been waiting for an excuse to go back an read the series again and this may be it.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2016, 10:36:10 AM »
The approach of making the films a sequel is very intriguing. And as mentioned above if King is okay with the direction they are going than I'm cool with it. I've been waiting for an excuse to go back an read the series again and this may be it.
it is intriguing. I would have preferred a faithful interpretation of the books, but that never seems to happen. So by having the events take place after Roland starts over with the horn it will presumably be similar events and characters, but with some changes to timeliness and events. Still excited to see how it turns out, but not expecting to love it.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2016, 10:39:41 AM »
E and S aren't being replaced. They just aren't really part of this first film.  The filmmaker's aren't making a book-for-book adaptation, and they are messing with the chronology of the written events.

I'm not convinced that it's the best approach, but since Stephen King is OK with it, I will withhold judgement.
In all fairness, King is likely contractually obligated to say nothing negative about the movies.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2016, 11:01:18 AM »
E and S aren't being replaced. They just aren't really part of this first film.  The filmmaker's aren't making a book-for-book adaptation, and they are messing with the chronology of the written events.

I'm not convinced that it's the best approach, but since Stephen King is OK with it, I will withhold judgement.
In all fairness, King is likely contractually obligated to say nothing negative about the movies.
Actually, I sincerely doubt that. 
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2016, 04:13:33 AM »
I'm guessing from the name of the characters mentioned in the article that they might be twins? If that's true, then Wolves would seem to be a strange starting spot for the movie(s). Then again, it's very possible that I'm making false assumptions. I've been anticipating these stories being made into movies for a long time, and I have some very defined mental images of what they would be like if they ever got made. No matter how difficult it is, I'm going to have to let much of that go, or I'll not be able to enjoy it. I'm sure that I'm not alone.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #40 on: May 22, 2016, 07:04:00 AM »

I heard an author on the radio, when asked about a movie adaptation of his book, answer "I am contractually obligated to say nothing negative about that movie" because the move sucked balls. King being King, perhaps he gets a little more leeway with his contracts, or perhaps that isn't a standard contract term in those situations. I would imagine that a studio doesn't want the author going around bashing a movie adaptation, which usually butcher the book.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #41 on: May 22, 2016, 07:05:27 AM »
I'm guessing from the name of the characters mentioned in the article that they might be twins? If that's true, then Wolves would seem to be a strange starting spot for the movie(s). Then again, it's very possible that I'm making false assumptions. I've been anticipating these stories being made into movies for a long time, and I have some very defined mental images of what they would be like if they ever got made. No matter how difficult it is, I'm going to have to let much of that go, or I'll not be able to enjoy it. I'm sure that I'm not alone.
I am 100% with you there. I need to rewire my brain as thinking of these move as the continued stories of Roland, not the stories from the books or really even the Roland from the books.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2016, 08:04:50 AM »

I heard an author on the radio, when asked about a movie adaptation of his book, answer "I am contractually obligated to say nothing negative about that movie" because the move sucked balls. King being King, perhaps he gets a little more leeway with his contracts, or perhaps that isn't a standard contract term in those situations. I would imagine that a studio doesn't want the author going around bashing a movie adaptation, which usually butcher the book.
He has certainly never held back on slagging various adaptations before.  And surely he has enough clout to keep things like that out of contracts now.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #43 on: May 23, 2016, 12:17:37 PM »
Has he bashed adaptations of his books as they were being made or pre-release, though?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2016, 12:26:34 PM »
Has he bashed adaptations of his books as they were being made or pre-release, though?
Not that I know of.  Why would he?  How would he know there was anything to bash until he has seen it, or seen the plans of the filmmaker?  Normally he hasn't really been very involved in the adaptations.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: May 23, 2016, 02:54:48 PM »
King is tactful about criticism. He will say something along the lines of "the film didn't fully match my vision for the story..." or something more diplomatic than "this movie sucked."
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #46 on: July 01, 2016, 07:30:10 PM »
The man in black

Severely lacking in the hood department, but otherwise looks good.

https://screencrush.com/new-dark-tower-set-photos-mcconaughey/

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: July 02, 2016, 11:49:00 PM »
He is missing the smiley face and "How's Your Pork?" buttons.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #48 on: July 05, 2016, 07:16:40 AM »
I am really looking forward to this, although we are clearly not getting a direct adaptation of the novel cycle.

Looks like we are getting almost a sequel.

BTW, I don't see a post here about it, but here was Idris Elba's tweet on Father's Day.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #49 on: July 05, 2016, 03:47:12 PM »
I honestly can't decide if I'm excited about these movies or not. I'm having a hard time moving past the fact that I'm not going to see a direct adaptation of the books, which is what I've been hoping for for years. I think as the release date gets closer I'll get more excited. It is certainly interesting that they're essentially doing sequels and they certainly got great actors for both Roland and the man in black. I just can't help but feel a little disappointed in the direction it has taken.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #50 on: July 06, 2016, 07:35:53 AM »
I honestly can't decide if I'm excited about these movies or not. I'm having a hard time moving past the fact that I'm not going to see a direct adaptation of the books, which is what I've been hoping for for years. I think as the release date gets closer I'll get more excited. It is certainly interesting that they're essentially doing sequels and they certainly got great actors for both Roland and the man in black. I just can't help but feel a little disappointed in the direction it has taken.
I know what you mean.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #52 on: September 21, 2016, 11:41:53 AM »
Are there plans to continue making more movies?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #53 on: September 21, 2016, 12:16:26 PM »
Are there plans to continue making more movies?
If the first one is successful.

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #54 on: September 21, 2016, 04:49:57 PM »
Im going to go into the movie open minded. I dont really care that its not a direct faithful adaptation of the series. As long as the movie is good Ill be happy
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #55 on: September 21, 2016, 08:56:33 PM »
Photobucket sucks.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #56 on: March 28, 2017, 11:04:36 PM »
https://www.tmz.com/2017/03/28/stephen-king-sued-the-dark-tower-the-rook-infringement/

Wonderful timing on this one. Me thinks that someone smells a payday.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #57 on: March 29, 2017, 03:29:49 AM »
Or just some free advertising.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #58 on: March 29, 2017, 04:11:09 AM »
Wonderful timing on this one. Me thinks that someone smells a payday.

Gotta think it's this

As any fan of the series knows, this is BS.  Assuming all of his liner notes and forewards are true, ideas for this started in the early 70s, and originated with the a poem by Robert Browning referencing the name "Roland"

And yeah... the series has been finished for 10 years, and NOW this comes forth - just a few months before the movie.

That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #59 on: March 29, 2017, 08:04:54 AM »
Yeah.  Moreover, I actually read The Rook back in the day, before Warren Publishing imploded.  There aren't really any similarities between the actual characters or the story whatsoever.  There are many more differences that similarities.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #60 on: March 29, 2017, 09:32:29 AM »
you all missed the most important part of the article..........teaser footage released this week.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #61 on: March 29, 2017, 10:30:25 AM »
you all missed the most important part of the article..........teaser footage released this week.

Yes please. We should get the first It trailer today as well.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #62 on: March 29, 2017, 10:41:28 AM »

you mean this.  ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnCdOQsX5kc
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: March 29, 2017, 10:53:28 AM »
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #64 on: March 29, 2017, 10:53:45 AM »

you mean this.  ;)

Need to watch again when I get home tonight and can have proper volume, but that looked pretty good.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #65 on: March 29, 2017, 11:41:32 AM »

I watched it.

I could really use a hug right now.

hold me

good lord, as soon as I finish re-reading The Dark Tower (I'm part way into Wind Through the Keyhole), I'm gonna have to re-read It.

Adios guys.  Gotta get crackin.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: March 29, 2017, 09:38:56 PM »
I was going to start a thread about the It trailer. I have mixed feelings.

It is my favorite book. Part of that is because of the time I was reading it, when I was at a crossroads between being a child and becoming a grown-up.  It was a hard time for me, and the power of the story touched me in a way no story has since. I think the mini-series is ok for what it is, and has some strong points, especially the casting, but ultimately it is a TV mini-series and could only do so much with a 1000+ page novel.

The cinematography on this film looks amazing, and while I've never been to Maine, I feel like I have with all the King books I've read, and I am sure they do Derry justice. Then I realized it only showed the 7 as kids, not adults. Then I read that this Part 1, featuring the kids. Which is weird, since the book isn't told that way. The point of the book is the 7 as adults revisiting their childhood, and all the joys and horrors that went along with it and made them who they are. Telling the story of the 7 as kids could be an interesting tale, but not as powerful as the novel.

I'm tired, and could go on with this book forever. I wonder how much of Patrick Hotstetter's story they will show. The 'missing' picture of him gave me chills.

On topic, if anyone should sue, it should be Robert Browning, not this "hey I wish my books sold a billion copies" guy I've never heard of.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #67 on: March 30, 2017, 08:06:24 AM »
I spent 5 straight years reading nothing but King. It was the only novel that legitimately scared me. Hopefully this movie is as good as the trailer makes it look and there will be a sequel with the adults.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #68 on: March 30, 2017, 08:11:43 AM »
I was going to start a thread about the It trailer. I have mixed feelings.

It is my favorite book. Part of that is because of the time I was reading it, when I was at a crossroads between being a child and becoming a grown-up.  It was a hard time for me, and the power of the story touched me in a way no story has since. I think the mini-series is ok for what it is, and has some strong points, especially the casting, but ultimately it is a TV mini-series and could only do so much with a 1000+ page novel.

The cinematography on this film looks amazing, and while I've never been to Maine, I feel like I have with all the King books I've read, and I am sure they do Derry justice. Then I realized it only showed the 7 as kids, not adults. Then I read that this Part 1, featuring the kids. Which is weird, since the book isn't told that way. The point of the book is the 7 as adults revisiting their childhood, and all the joys and horrors that went along with it and made them who they are. Telling the story of the 7 as kids could be an interesting tale, but not as powerful as the novel.

I'm tired, and could go on with this book forever. I wonder how much of Patrick Hotstetter's story they will show. The 'missing' picture of him gave me chills.
I'm kind of with you here.  I read IT when it first came out - I was 13-14 at that time, and it remains the book that has made the biggest impact on me, ever.

I remain somewhat skeptical about the format of the film (only showing the parts from the past), but it may be that the skipping back and forth between past and present, which works great in the book, wouldn't be the best way for film audiences to absorb the material.  I don't know, but maybe.  So we'll see.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #69 on: March 30, 2017, 10:18:54 AM »
Really like the trailer, and very much looking forward to the first film. I don't think splitting up the timelines into separate movies will hurt part 1 so much as part 2. Seeing everyone's reactions as adults to Mike's phone calls without knowing why they were freaking out helped build a certain tension that I think could be lost if we don't see them as adults until after we've seen everything that happened when they were kids play out.
Photobucket sucks.