Author Topic: Stephen King on the big screen  (Read 33015 times)

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Stephen King on the big screen
« Reply #210 on: November 12, 2019, 01:26:28 PM »
I haven't read Dr. Sleep either... and I enjoyed the HELL out of the movie!  Thought is was awesome and loved the nods to DT within the film.

Honestly, I though it was awesome, especially for a King adaptation; easily better, to me, than IT Chapter 2.  It is a direct compliment to Kubrick's movie and catches that atmosphere. 
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #211 on: November 12, 2019, 08:36:55 PM »
I just saw Doctor sleep. I have read the book and I thought the movie was great.

The first 2/3rds of this movie is one of the most faithful adaptations of a King book I've seen. The last third does it's own thing to tie into the Kubrick film more which I thought it did very well.

Whether you've read the book or not I recommend the movie.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #212 on: November 13, 2019, 08:52:13 AM »
I rewatched the documentary Room 237 today. Yes its mental and off the rails in a lot of ways, but I've always found it to be an entertaining watch.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #213 on: December 23, 2019, 07:50:13 AM »
Saw Doctor Sleep and absolutely loved it.

This is how you should do a sequel, build on elements from the original but go in a different direction that makes sense for the plot to go. I have not read the books, so am talking purely about the films.

And, well, I actually do not enjoy The Shining all that much (compared to it's cultural status), so this came as a surpsise to me.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #214 on: February 15, 2020, 01:34:25 PM »
Got Doctor Sleep on Blu-Ray. Came with both the Theatrical cut and directors cut with like 25 mins extra.

The Directors cut is worth watching at least once, but that's about it. Its already a long movie and the extra stuff kills the pacing. It adds some flavor, but it was the right choice to cut if from the original.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #215 on: January 25, 2021, 05:19:53 PM »
Just started the audiobook of The Shining. Wow, this is really good. I regret not ever thinking about reading it before

Now I know why King was so pissed at Kubrick  :lol

I still love the Kubrick movie, but I would love to have a more faithful version that really did the book justice.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #216 on: January 25, 2021, 08:03:48 PM »
I still love the Kubrick movie, but I would love to have a more faithful version that really did the book justice.

This miniseries from the late 90s is quite faithful to the story, and imo, quite good. I believe King had a hand in the script, though to what degree I cannot recall.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #217 on: January 27, 2021, 07:40:42 AM »
It should be law that any Stephen King novel should be directed by Frank Darabont.

Shawshank Redemption
The Green Mile
The Mist

He was supposed to do a 4th one too but it didn't happen in the end.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #218 on: January 27, 2021, 08:15:34 PM »
Which was going to be the fourth?
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #219 on: January 29, 2021, 09:02:03 AM »
The Long Walk or something ? Basically the plot of SPEED but it's people on a long walk and whoever stops gets killed or something. I seem to remember that was the broad strokes.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #220 on: January 29, 2021, 09:26:31 PM »
I would never say its "Basically the plot of SPEED" but you got the crux of it right. It was one of King's first stories, about an annual competition between 100 kids to see who can walk the longest without stopping. Those falling below a set MPH get 3 warnings before they are shot. I cannot recall what they win, but it is voluntary so it must be something worthwhile. Since it is basically kids walking and talking the whole time, I cannot imagine how that would translate to film.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #221 on: January 31, 2021, 06:21:18 AM »
I would never say its "Basically the plot of SPEED" but you got the crux of it right. It was one of King's first stories, about an annual competition between 100 kids to see who can walk the longest without stopping. Those falling below a set MPH get 3 warnings before they are shot. I cannot recall what they win, but it is voluntary so it must be something worthwhile. Since it is basically kids walking and talking the whole time, I cannot imagine how that would translate to film.

Anything they want for the rest of their life, iirc.  Wasn't it first published in the Bachman collection?

As for translating to film, there were a lot of sub-plots and stories in there that could be done.  I read it in the late 80s, so I don't remember all of them, but I could see someone making a go of it.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #222 on: January 31, 2021, 06:23:11 AM »
Shawshank, Green Mile and Mist are all fantastic so it's a shame that Darabont never got around to doing another one.

EDIT : I just checked and the dude is only 62. I hope he doesn't end up being one of those directors who made so many classic movies then

either only did TV or dire movies or just stopped altogether. But The MIST was 2007 and it was his last movie directing credit.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #223 on: February 01, 2021, 04:01:43 AM »
Finally saw It chapter 2. To my surprise I enjoyed It chapter 2 more than part 1. Perhaps because my expectations of 1 were very high due to the positive reviews and my expectations for 2 were kind of the opposite. Overall I think both films together work very well. It wasn't really scary to me, but I enjoyed the atmosphere very much and all the actors did a great job (both the kids and the adults). I think the length of the films is good, not too long as many are saying, as this way all the characters get their development.

Got Doctor Sleep on Blu-Ray. Came with both the Theatrical cut and directors cut with like 25 mins extra.

The Directors cut is worth watching at least once, but that's about it. Its already a long movie and the extra stuff kills the pacing. It adds some flavor, but it was the right choice to cut if from the original.

I have seen the Directors cut and agree the theatrical version is better. Worth a watch, but if you want to experience the film for the first time, I'd indeed recommend the theatrical release, which has a very good pacing and does not feel sliced up at all.

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #224 on: February 11, 2021, 06:49:55 AM »
Haven't scoured this entire thread to see if anyone else already mentioned it, but I just finished watching the mini-series of 11/22/63.  It's on hulu, 8 episodes around an hour each.  Much different from the book but still a really good watch.  I believe Stephen King and JJ Abrams were both producers on it.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #225 on: January 10, 2023, 04:29:51 PM »
I watched The Dead Zone yesterday, and I just want to say that I love that movie oh so much  :heart

Offline Harmony

« Reply #226 on: January 11, 2023, 05:49:20 PM »
The Dead Zone is a classic.  It is one of the few decent adaptations of a King novel.  The book is worth reading as well.

When the movie first came out I thought no way could someone that evil could rise to power in politics like that and well.....now I wish I were still that naive. 
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #227 on: January 12, 2023, 11:16:01 AM »
Oh for sure, and Martin Sheen's performance was terrifying. It was so utterly spot on.