Author Topic: The Dark Tower Movie + It  (Read 10100 times)

Offline Kattelox

• Heart of an Eagle
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Dark Tower Movie + It
« Reply #175 on: April 15, 2018, 10:19:02 AM »
I started to actually get pissed off at it right towards the end and it's because of a huge spoiler, so, spoiler warning:

The way Walter dies. Walter throws this chunk of debris at Roland and knocks him out; Roland gets a vision of Jake reciting the gunslinger's oath, and then Roland grabs his sandalwood gun (no mention of how important these things are either) and fires a bullet. Now we know how fast bullets travel. Walter is like 50 feet away at absolute best. He fires the first bullet, then aims the gun to the left and fires another that ricochets off a steel beam towards Walter, and hits the first bullet exactly at the right moment to send the first bullet off path directly into Walter's heart.

I just threw my hands up and shouted "What?!" when that happened  :lol
RYM || Last.FM
"No Christ, God, nor religion gave me the answers I was looking for" - Timo Tolkki

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #176 on: April 16, 2018, 09:42:56 AM »
My biggest problem was that it felt way more like Jake's story than Roland's story. It wasn't great no matter how you slice it, but it was a worse adaptation than it was a standalone YA adventure movie.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #177 on: March 21, 2019, 02:07:16 PM »
New Dark Tower series coming to Amazon, based on Roland's early days. Perhaps the flashback scenes from Wizard & Glass?

Sounds promising. I'd love to see this do well and translate into a future series based on (and true to) the books.

https://deadline.com/2019/03/the-dark-tower-sam-strike-cast-gunslinger-roland-deschain-jasper-paakkonen-amazon-nears-pilot-order-1202556652/?fbclid=IwAR0EWSwOpUBVQGlCyFBiVL8ofxCeVKdanask2Rj42VchpMXcZrg_imqpCHY

The Dark Tower TV series is independent from the film and is meant to be a more faithful retelling of the book than the movie was. I hear it will take place many years before the events depicted in the feature and will focus on Roland Deschain’s (Strike) origin story – how he first became a gunslinger and got his guns, his first conflict with the man in black, his first love and his first mission as a gunslinger.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #178 on: March 21, 2019, 04:40:37 PM »
I will definitely be checking that Dark Tower series out.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF's resident deceased dictator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • The changing of the worrd is inevitabre!!!
« Reply #179 on: Today at 05:35:10 AM »
Per
New Dark Tower series coming to Amazon, based on Roland's early days. Perhaps the flashback scenes from Wizard & Glass?

Sounds promising. I'd love to see this do well and translate into a future series based on (and true to) the books.

Perhaps some elements of Wind Through the Keyhole too?
I think Jingle is right as rain
warflwwcesfw.
That's meme-speak for "We are really f*****g lazy when we can't eve say full words".

Offline soupytwist

• cockblocking ass
« Reply #180 on: Today at 05:41:31 AM »
Kind off on topic I got to see an advanced screening of Pet Sematary recently.  Based on the two films in this thread title, it's not as good as IT chapter 1 - but it's much better than Dark Tower.  It hits most of the big beats from the book but lacks the quiet creeping dread that builds in the book, it also changes the ending quite dramatically - which in the moment of the watching the film is pretty fun ride, but on reflection probably goes little wrong.

6/10 I think.

Offline Kattelox

• Heart of an Eagle
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #181 on: Today at 07:06:47 AM »
After that abortion of a film I have absolutely no faith in this Dark Tower series. Do it right or don't do it at all. I'll check it out in the future once we're gearing up for actual footage, but yeah... I'm worried enough about this new LOTR series.
RYM || Last.FM
"No Christ, God, nor religion gave me the answers I was looking for" - Timo Tolkki

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #182 on: Today at 07:11:00 AM »
I believe there is going to be a new The Stand series on the CBS AllAccesss streaming service as well.

I LOVE The Dark Tower series so I'm hoping Amazon can get this right.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Rest in Peace
« Reply #183 on: Today at 04:23:46 PM »
Kind off on topic I got to see an advanced screening of Pet Sematary recently.  Based on the two films in this thread title, it's not as good as IT chapter 1 - but it's much better than Dark Tower.  It hits most of the big beats from the book but lacks the quiet creeping dread that builds in the book, it also changes the ending quite dramatically - which in the moment of the watching the film is pretty fun ride, but on reflection probably goes little wrong.

Trailer made it look pretty interesting (but that just means the marketing dept did their job). John Lithgow seemed odd as Jud. Not sure why. I spoiled myself by reading about the significant change (don't want to spoil, don't know if that is the change to the ending you are referring to) and why it was done. The reasoning was sound, and could be done without significantly changing the narrative. Been ages since I've seen the original but recall it being poor. It missed the whole [I[feel[/I] of the story and was no better than a TV horror movie on cable at 2am. And other than Jud, the cast was somewhere between forgettable and awful.

I believe there is going to be a new The Stand series on the CBS AllAccesss streaming service as well.

I watched a couple clips from The Stand a few days ago. it looks a little dated, but in all I think it holds up reasonably well. I enjoyed it quite a lot when it came out. Faithful to the spirit and structure of the book while still translating well to the screen. Some minor nitpicks not worth going in to here.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'