Author Topic: PSA: Live clapping during Hymn of a Thousand Voices. Spread the word!  (Read 4099 times)

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
During the first two shows in Oslo, I noticed that the public didn't "get" how to clap in time with Hymn of a Thousand Voices. I also noticed Mike Mangini tried very hard to signal to the audience when to do it, but nobody bit!

So here's my challenge to you! When you go see DT live on this tour... Listen to the song on the album. Learn where to clap. And teach everyone around you as well! It's every eighth beat!

The band will appreciate it immensly!

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: PSA: Live clapping during Hymn of a Thousand Voices. Spread the word!
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2016, 02:24:45 AM »
I'm increasingly convinced that the crowd on the second Palladium night was still the best of the tour. With minimal prompting pretty much everyone stood and joined in for Hymn (and stayed that way for the rest of the show), clapped along and made our best effort to even sing along to the choral bit, even though most of us didn't really know the words. :lol

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2016, 02:38:04 AM »
Oh, on the third night JP pretty much said this to me: "Kim, I've got a job for you! You know the clapping in Hymn? It's every eighth. You need to get people do that".  So I did - I went through a bunch of audience before the show started and told them to strictly clap on the 8th. When it started, there were like a couple of people that clapped every for the first few beats, but when the 8th came the clap was thunderous, so everyone got it ;)

The smile on JPs face...

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2016, 03:25:19 AM »
I did my part during both shows I attended, but James could really communicate it better with the crowd. It is not that the fans aren't prepared to do so or that they aren't enjoying the show, it is that it is awkward for people to start clapping in a theater where they are so exposed and they need a little extra motivation.

At the two shows I saw, James said a few things like "sing along" or "c'mon!" but even for me, who knows and loves the album, I wasn't sure what to sing or what to do at certain points. If James makes a convincing overhead clapping movement, that should be clear. We all love the band and many people will have/have had a fantastic time at the show, I am sure many will follow suit in clapping ;D

I do, however, hope fans spread the word to keep standing at the end. I found all people sitting out the final track to be a bit awkward at the first show I saw.

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2016, 03:57:33 AM »
It's not that people aren't clapping. They're clapping every tom beat. Instead of it being  BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM CLAP, it became CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP.

And Mangini did gesticulate to the audience where they should clap.

Offline aurorablind

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2016, 04:48:25 AM »
Well, I was there the second night, and James got the crowd to clap on every single eight-note, so it was not entirely the crowds fault  :lol
Our "crew" tried to clap only on the last eight-note on the each second bar, but nobody around us got it (only one massive fanboy behind us).

Offline the keyboard wizard

« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2016, 05:31:31 AM »
Message spread for the French shows : https://yourmajesty.forumserv.com/t1337-Le-Palais-des-Congr%C3%A8s---Paris---5-et-6-mars-2016.htm?start=100#p53659

Quote from: The Keyboard Wizard
COMMUNIQUE DE LA PART DE KIM, RESPONSABLE DES FAN CLUBS EUROPEENS :

Kim et Mike Mangini ont eu un mal fou à faire taper les fans dans les mains sur le bon rythme lors de Hymn of a Thousand Voices. Le groupe vous demande de vous entraîner à fond en écoutant le morceau pour taper au bon moment. C'est très simple : on compte : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 et à 8 on tape dans les mains. Entraînez vous pour montrer au monde, que les Français sont les meilleurs quand il s'agit de taper les mains ;)
Admin and manager of the French Chapter of Dream Theater World: Your Majesty (one of the first DT fan clubs)

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2016, 06:48:26 AM »
Got to admit, I didn't even notice Mangini doing that at the Palladium show (and I spent a lot of time watching him as well) needs to be James really who starts that type of thing.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2016, 11:55:18 AM »
There should be a similar interest in getting the whole theatre waving their arms back and forth at the end of the title track, the moment "People can you hear us" kicks in. I will do it even if I should be the only one in my row!!!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline aurorablind

« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2016, 12:10:57 PM »
I was really trying to get people to get up and sing along during the "people can you hear us"-part. There was like 20 people in the entire audience standing at that part... so lame  :lol James was even inviting us to stand up and sing..
Oh well. The crowd was pretty good non the less.

Offline ErHaO

Got to admit, I didn't even notice Mangini doing that at the Palladium show (and I spent a lot of time watching him as well) needs to be James really who starts that type of thing.
Same here and I agree. Also goes for the waving and all.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
DT fans are not smart when it comes to this kind of thing. :lol :lol

I remember when I first got into the band, thinking the chorus of Take the Time would be one of those awesome live things where the crowd would always sing the "take the time" harmonies, but it has never turned out that way, which is utterly baffling to me.

Calvin6s

I bring my tablet and sync the "Second Screen" so it can tell me exactly what to do.  So lazy that I just let the tablet make the clapping sound.  Other than the latency, I'm *the best* fan there.

Offline Darkstarshades

The audience also tends to fail awesomely at clapping in time at Metropolis.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
Getting an audience to clap in perfect rhythm is nigh-on impossible. Even with a simple "clap on every beat" rhythm, they always end up going faster. Whether it's the adrenaline rush of seeing your favourite band live in the flesh, I don't know.

Offline the keyboard wizard

For the two French shows, James asked to clap on every beat while Mike was making signs to ask on the 8th beat. So during the interview, we asked John why they had given up the idea of making people clap correctly.... You will find the answer very soon in the exclusive interview from the French fan club ;)
Admin and manager of the French Chapter of Dream Theater World: Your Majesty (one of the first DT fan clubs)

Calvin6s

Dream Theater concert.  There will be homework.

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
Dream Theater concert.  There will be homework.
I actually started on my homework early so I would be ready.  Typical white guy, I was on time for a little while but then started to lose it.  I'll have to keep working on it, ha ha.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
This is kind of a shot so you are warned, but DT has some of the worst audience performance for a rock band.  It's very glaring on the live DVDs.  Something I was completely shocked about when I first got into DT.  The music is difficult timewise to get a good head banging rhythm so I get it, but I knew doing a clap on 8ths would be really difficult to get the crowd to pull off.  I would have just thought the clap every beat would be more likely to accomplish even if it's not how the song goes on the album.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
Instructional video that will greatly help the audience!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6AlQgq9MRE
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline BFRedrocks

• DTF.org Alumni
There were quite a few folks in the Mesa show that "got it" with a little help from MM, although most folks didn't have a clue.  Everyone still had a great time, and the whole crowd singing the chorus was awesome!!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
At the Oakland show, the entire audience immediately started clapping on every beat right from the beginning of the song.  Unless I missed it, neither James nor Mike tried to correct it.  I guess they figured that since the audience was already enthusiastically participating, and it was working, it was fine and would just throw everything off to get us to only clap in the correct beats.  Either that, or since it is so close to the end of the tour and they are so worn out that they just couldn't be bothered.  :lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
At the Oakland show, the entire audience immediately started clapping on every beat right from the beginning of the song.  Unless I missed it, neither James nor Mike tried to correct it.  I guess they figured that since the audience was already enthusiastically participating, and it was working, it was fine and would just throw everything off to get us to only clap in the correct beats.  Either that, or since it is so close to the end of the tour and they are so worn out that they just couldn't be bothered.  :lol

Same thing at the two shows I went to. At both Wallingford and RCMH, MM would thrust his stick toward the audience on every 8th note, but no one seemed to care  :lol

Offline Mladen

It would be great if they were clapping the way it was recorded, but it's probably not worth it to correct the audience that is already having a good time.