Author Topic: Shows You Gave Up On  (Read 14586 times)

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
Re: Shows You Gave Up On
« Reply #70 on: February 27, 2016, 01:55:20 PM »
I'm assuming he's saying that the characters on Star Trek are awful and grating.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #71 on: February 27, 2016, 02:30:41 PM »
I'm assuming he's saying that the characters on Star Trek are awful and grating.

Well I'm glad someone has above average reading skills.  ;)

Star Trek isn't a comedy...

What has that got to do with anything? If you're implying that Big Bang Theory is funny because it's nerdy, then you've fallen for the trap of the show.

You're making all of these assumptions based on what exactly? Did I quote any part of Kowtow's post that referenced humor? Nope. Did I reveal what I thought makes BBT funny? Nope. So your argument is pretty much empty. Furthermore, being that I have seen every episode of BBT at least twice, I think I have a better idea of what kind of humor the show uses. Unless, of course, you're one of those people who fervently does something just to find something negative to say about it.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #72 on: February 27, 2016, 02:59:24 PM »
I didn't make any assumptions. I didn't even make any statements aside from one beginning with a qualitative "if". I literally just asked a question because I didn't understand your connection.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #73 on: February 27, 2016, 03:19:27 PM »
I didn't make any assumptions. I didn't even make any statements aside from one beginning with a qualitative "if". I literally just asked a question because I didn't understand your connection.

The first thing you said was "Star Trek isn't a comedy... What has that got to do anything?". The implication was there. It was painfully obvious you were reaching because I intentionally left out the words Kowtow used referring to humor because I knew it had nothing to do with Star Trek. I left in the words that I felt were relevant.

For the record, a fraction of the humor is based on the geekiness of the characters to which I can relate. Not just from their love for nerdy things, but for their ignorance of the world around them. It's not all Star Trek and Star Wars references. Those are far less occurring than critics would lead you to believe. Anyway, I digress...

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #74 on: February 27, 2016, 10:33:53 PM »
I gave up on Dexter about 3/4 of the way into Season 5. I just couldn't handle how poorly written and acted the show had become.

South Park also lost its luster around 2009/2010 when it just become a current event of the week with atrocious low brow attempts at satire. It was pretty clear by this point that Matt and Trey or whoever was in charge either had no idea what they were doing or just didn't care at all.

Calvin6s

« Reply #75 on: February 27, 2016, 10:37:56 PM »
South Park is still awesome.  As far as current event of the week, the last 2 seasons have gone serial, not "of the week".

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #76 on: February 27, 2016, 10:57:09 PM »
After watching Six Feet Under, I really want to watch Dexter. I know it's probably not near as enjoyable, but I really like Michael C. Hall. I guess the consensus is that it starts sucking after season 4, though I do hear good things about season 7. I would just feel weird to give up on a show halfway through. I mean, I know it can get unbearable.. but I don't know if I could watch 4 seasons and then not even at least try the next 4. Though that is a lot of poor television to sit through if it's as bad as everyone says.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #77 on: February 27, 2016, 10:57:48 PM »
Why are we discussing TBBT anyway? This thread is for shows you initially liked but then gave up on, not shows that were awful from the start that you never watched.

I thought of another one. Wilfred. I liked it at first, but over time the premise just got more and more grating and stagnant, so I gave up before the final season. Didn't even care how it ended by that point.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #78 on: February 27, 2016, 11:00:12 PM »
After watching Six Feet Under, I really want to watch Dexter. I know it's probably not near as enjoyable, but I really like Michael C. Hall. I guess the consensus is that it starts sucking after season 4, though I do hear good things about season 7. I would just feel weird to give up on a show halfway through. I mean, I know it can get unbearable.. but I don't know if I could watch 4 seasons and then not even at least try the next 4. Though that is a lot of poor television to sit through if it's as bad as everyone says.

It's not totally awful.  It's just far below the level of the first four seasons. Seasons 5 and 7 are actually fairly solid.  Once you get invested in the show, you'll want to finish it up.  The greatness of Seasons 1, 2 and 4 totally make it worth it.  :tup :tup

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #79 on: February 27, 2016, 11:06:58 PM »
Let me actually contribute to the thread positively by saying that I've lost interest in OITNB, and I'm still on the fence about continuing Game of Thrones when it returns.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #80 on: February 27, 2016, 11:09:24 PM »

It's not totally awful.  It's just far below the level of the first four seasons. Seasons 5 and 7 are actually fairly solid.  Once you get invested in the show, you'll want to finish it up.  The greatness of Seasons 1, 2 and 4 totally make it worth it.  :tup :tup

Good to hear. I'll keep this in mind.  :tup

Let me actually contribute to the thread positively by saying that I've lost interest in OITNB, and I'm still on the fence about continuing Game of Thrones when it returns.

I saw the first two seasons of OITNB, I liked it, but I did prefer S1 over S2. When did you give up?

Calvin6s

« Reply #81 on: February 27, 2016, 11:12:58 PM »
I never saw Wilfred Season 4 because it moved from FX to FXX.  The whole FXX channel pisses me off.

Calvin6s

« Reply #82 on: February 27, 2016, 11:16:06 PM »
Too many abbreviations to keep it straight.  OITNB?

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #83 on: February 27, 2016, 11:17:19 PM »
Orange is the New Black :)

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #84 on: February 28, 2016, 12:30:48 AM »
Why are we discussing TBBT anyway? This thread is for shows you initially liked but then gave up on, not shows that were awful from the start that you never watched.

Well, I started talking about it, because I remember watching some episodes of the first season when it started some 8 or 9 years ago. I was curious when I saw a promo because there were going to be references to science, and they had this cute girl. But, I later gave up.

On a more positive note: last year I watched the first episode of Derek on Netflix with my sister, and neither of us liked it. Then, a month later I decided to watch the 2nd episode. I got hooked, and watched the rest in just 3 days (there aren't many episodes). Such a nice show!

Calvin6s

« Reply #85 on: February 28, 2016, 12:32:18 AM »
One thing I don't get about The Big Bang Theory is when Eugene Levy replaced the Leonard character.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #86 on: February 28, 2016, 03:36:45 AM »
Chiming in to agree on the Dexter seasons.. 1-4 golden, season 5 and season 7 (especially season 7!) were actually enjoyable, season 6 kinda hit and miss and season 8 a total disaster. But when this show was good, it was VERY good, and Michael C. Hall is awesome in this.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #87 on: February 28, 2016, 04:34:26 AM »
One thing I don't get about The Big Bang Theory is when Eugene Levy replaced the Leonard character.

:facepalm:
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #88 on: February 28, 2016, 06:17:09 AM »
I gave up on The 100 20mins into the first ep. I watched Californication alot when the first and second season aired and loved it. Other things got in the way so I didn't follow the other seasons but a month ago I tried to recap the first season but I just didn't feel it so I gave up.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #89 on: February 28, 2016, 09:35:34 AM »

I saw the first two seasons of OITNB, I liked it, but I did prefer S1 over S2. When did you give up?

Basically I watched seasons 1 and 2 and enjoyed them. I gave up because season 3 came out, and I just realized I didn't really care. I had no desire to take the time to watch it all.  :lol

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #90 on: February 28, 2016, 04:58:24 PM »
I watched it (not religiously but in syndication) fairly regularly for a year or two, but I stopped watching recently because these last two seasons have just not been funny. More of a soap opera with occasional levity. Plus, Sheldon has just become a caricature of himself and the laugh track is awfully annoying. It's not terrible, but I just don't feel the need to keep up with it anymore.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #91 on: February 28, 2016, 05:06:51 PM »
Chiming in to agree on the Dexter seasons.. 1-4 golden, season 5 and season 7 (especially season 7!) were actually enjoyable, season 6 kinda hit and miss and season 8 a total disaster. But when this show was good, it was VERY good, and Michael C. Hall is awesome in this.

For me, there was some good moments here and there after season 4 like Debra discovering that Dexter is a serial killer but, overall, they were much weaker than the first 4. And the ending was horrible.
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #92 on: February 28, 2016, 05:09:51 PM »
Curb Your Enthusiasm. I thought it was a great show, but only when Larry's failing was his tendency to always say or do precisely the wrong thing. People with terrible people skills make great characters. After time he stopped being an understandable but flawed person and just became an idiot. Idiots make awful characters if you're trying to base an entire show around them. The Roadside Memorial really started to turn me against the show, and then ditching his [awful excuse for a] wife for the cable guy was the final straw.

Orange is the New Black--for exactly the same reason. When Piper was a fish out of water it was a decent enough show. Once she started to acclimate she just became an obnoxious and moronic twat. Since they obviously couldn't give her the shanking she deserved I stopped watching.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Calvin6s

« Reply #93 on: February 28, 2016, 07:53:14 PM »
On Curb Your Enthusiasm, did you at least make it to the J.B. Smoove episodes?  I loved him on Curb so much, that I always stop and view if I see him on another show.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #94 on: February 28, 2016, 09:42:51 PM »
On Curb Your Enthusiasm, did you at least make it to the J.B. Smoove episodes?  I loved him on Curb so much, that I always stop and view if I see him on another show.
Leon was great. I tuned out about halfway through the Black family's season, though. The scene with him, the doctor and Long Ball Larry was priceless.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #95 on: February 29, 2016, 06:44:04 AM »
American Horror Story
The Walking Dead (Unless Neegan kicks ass)
Fear The Walking Dead (Made it through 4 episodes)
The Simpsons

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #96 on: February 29, 2016, 07:04:03 AM »
Leon was great. I tuned out about halfway through the Black family's season, though. The scene with him, the doctor and Long Ball Larry was priceless.

Larry going to get the pot for his father for his glaucoma is my favorite episode from that series.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #97 on: February 29, 2016, 07:12:20 AM »

Larry going to get the pot for his father for his glaucoma is my favorite episode from that series.

Some of those episodes were hysterical and others I just didn't get. I can't say I watched more than half of them.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #98 on: February 29, 2016, 07:55:05 AM »
I've dropped several shows during season 1 but I don't think that counts here cause I wasn't very much into any of those from the beginning. So, those I've dropped after season 1 would be:

The Walking Dead: I got to the half of season 2 before I became bored to death with it.
The Mentalist: Not really dropped off but I didn't watch the last season, I don't know why they even made it after they had resolved everything.
Prison Break: Watched the first 2 seasons, then lost interest.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline lucky7

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #99 on: February 29, 2016, 09:15:25 PM »
Once Upon a Time
The Good Wife
Criminal Minds
The Big Bang Theory
NCIS
CSI
Scandal
Entourage
Bones
Arrow

A lot of shows get the chop because of time constraints.
I find it harder to watch sitcoms these days, but I think that is because there are too many good hour long shows.
There are shows like The Walking Dead that are hard to watch week by week but this is more out of impatience, than it being a bad show.
American Horror Story had a strong season 1, season 2 etc have not been as good, but because each season is completely different and a lot of the actors are good, I will still watch each hoping it will be great.

Vinyl I have four episodes ready to watch but again time constraints.
Frankenstein Chronicles I love Sean Bean but two episodes was enough
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 09:22:43 PM by lucky7 »

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #100 on: February 29, 2016, 09:39:54 PM »
Speaking of Once Upon a Time, I caught a part of a new episode on TV yesterday, and saw the characters from Frozen in it. I knew they were adding them in, but that's the first I'd actually seen it. Glad I got out of that one. I wonder if she sang that song in it?

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #101 on: February 29, 2016, 09:44:55 PM »
Speaking of Once Upon a Time, I caught a part of a new episode on TV yesterday, and saw the characters from Frozen in it. I knew they were adding them in, but that's the first I'd actually seen it. Glad I got out of that one. I wonder if she sang that song in it?

I feel like at some point during the 2nd or 3rd season someone figured out that they don't have to come up with plots anymore, they can just continuously throw in characters from other things.

"Stories? Where we're going, we don't need stories"
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #102 on: February 29, 2016, 09:55:59 PM »
:lol I felt like it got to a point where their storylines only consisted of making everyone somehow related. I was waiting for the big reveal in the season finale by the kid, "I'm my own grandpa!"

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #103 on: March 01, 2016, 06:40:32 AM »
I'm still watching Once Upon a Time, though my Wife hates it. The last few seasons have been hit and miss. Half of the season is really good while the other half is okay. The wicked witch is amazing. Honestly, this season has been one of my favorites. That being said, I think it's about time to end the show.

Offline V_R11

« Reply #104 on: March 01, 2016, 10:29:12 AM »
United States of Tara
Homeland
New Girl
Nurse Jackie
Parks and Recreation
Grace and Frankie
Hannibal
The Following
The Killing