Author Topic: Shows You Gave Up On  (Read 14587 times)

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
Re: Shows You Gave Up On
« Reply #140 on: August 02, 2016, 12:13:07 PM »
Oh stop it. I could probably make the same comment about half of the crap you watch.  :P

But I wouldn't claim that half gives me excellent taste. :P

The other half however does. :biggrin:

:yarr

I enjoyed the first few seasons of TBBT, but around S4 or S5 it became really mediocre. I feel the hate on it is somewhat unfair, that's just the level of quality most mainstream sitcoms hold these days, whether it was HIMYM or 2 ½ Men, it's something dumb and mindless you put on.

I don't necessarily think that it's unfair. It's just someone's opinion who obviously has different taste. It's one of my favorite shows but it's just not for everyone. I could name shows that I strongly dislike, like Star Trek and The Simpsons, that many people here like. I think they're pointless and a waste of time but that's just me, so I'd be hypocritical to criticize someone else for disliking something I find great.

Hey keep it clean king, there might be children reading this!

Just say Kotow; you don't have to say children.  :lol

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #141 on: August 02, 2016, 12:14:14 PM »
I enjoyed the first few seasons of TBBT, but around S4 or S5 it became really mediocre. I feel the hate on it is somewhat unfair, that's just the level of quality most mainstream sitcoms hold these days, whether it was HIMYM or 2 ½ Men, it's something dumb and mindless you put on.

After watching Seinfeld, it's almost painful how terrible most sitcoms are.
True. Network comedies are atrocious. TBBT just gets all the hate because it's been the most popular lately. But the top dog prior to that was Two and a Half Men, which is even worse, in my opinion.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #142 on: August 02, 2016, 12:23:04 PM »
Try Brooklyn Nine Nine. I love that sitcom.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #143 on: August 02, 2016, 12:42:20 PM »
Penny Dreadful. I liked a few bits of the first season but something about the second season seemed like they got five year old kids to write the episodes. Granted, it seemed like ten year old kids were writing it to begin with soooo... But at least it was dumbly entertaining. Second season halfway through I just had to stop the cringe. Self-cringing is never the answer.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Online BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #144 on: August 02, 2016, 01:02:11 PM »
I finished Penny Dreadful. Good show, disappointing ending.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #145 on: August 02, 2016, 04:57:28 PM »
Penny Dreadful. I liked a few bits of the first season but something about the second season seemed like they got five year old kids to write the episodes. Granted, it seemed like ten year old kids were writing it to begin with soooo... But at least it was dumbly entertaining. Second season halfway through I just had to stop the cringe. Self-cringing is never the answer.
Yea I kind of agree, liked the first season but then it kind of went downhill from there but I did stick with it to the end though.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #146 on: August 02, 2016, 07:08:21 PM »
Any 'Peep Show' or 'Arrested Development' fans here? My favourite two shows (sadly, not currently airing new episodes).

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #147 on: August 03, 2016, 01:13:39 AM »
Any 'Peep Show' or 'Arrested Development' fans here? My favourite two shows (sadly, not currently airing new episodes).

'Peep Show' is one of my three favourite comedies show of all time with 'Spaced' and 'Blackadder'.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #148 on: August 03, 2016, 08:10:06 AM »
I gave up on 'American Horror Story' after the year of the Circus theme....so I think last season was the only one I haven't seen. But, I'm intrigued by the speculation that the upcoming season is based on the lost civilization of CROATOA. I think I'm going to check it out just to see....
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #149 on: August 03, 2016, 09:18:50 AM »
Breaking Bad. For fuck's sake, this series is too slow - only got to the beginning of season 4. Not my thing either.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #150 on: August 03, 2016, 09:25:11 AM »
Breaking Bad. For fuck's sake, this series is too slow - only got to the beginning of season 4. Not my thing either.

Then you'd probably struggle even harder with shows like True Detective or Mr. Robot  :lol

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #151 on: August 03, 2016, 09:26:36 AM »

Then you'd probably struggle even harder with shows like True Detective or Mr. Robot  :lol
I wouldn't agree about Mr Robot - that is one intense show. Same with first season of True Detective.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #152 on: August 03, 2016, 09:43:46 AM »

I wouldn't agree about Mr Robot - that is one intense show. Same with first season of True Detective.

Yeah...I don't think Mr. Robot is slow at all. And, the first season of True Detective was flawless IMO. 

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #153 on: August 03, 2016, 10:42:53 AM »
Oh speaking off, I also gave up on True Detective halfway during S02, I LOVED the first season but I just completly lost interest during S02. It pretty much felt like a diffrent show atleast if you ask me.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #154 on: August 03, 2016, 11:33:36 AM »
I agree that season 2 isn't as good as the first, but I think it had the same "feel" of the first one. Enough to link them thematically.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #155 on: August 03, 2016, 11:59:39 AM »
I don't mind the slowness - Monster is my fav anime, yet it was even slower than BB at times, but I loved it. I guess I'm not into drugs/criminal related series or movies.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #156 on: August 03, 2016, 12:24:37 PM »

I love both, but I would describe them as an intense slow burn.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #157 on: August 04, 2016, 09:10:11 AM »
For me to say I "gave up" I have to have watched more than one season, otherwise it's "never got into".

So, with that said:

The Office - Lost me somewhere around s4 or s5, but have seen some other episodes and it still has its moments.
The Walking Dead - hung around until the S3 midseason finale.
Professional Wrestling - Ate it up as a teenager during the Attitude era. Lost interesting in the subsequent years and only turn it on occasionally now.

Offline tofee35

« Reply #158 on: August 04, 2016, 10:01:06 AM »
Breaking Bad. I watched the first episode and loved it. Netflix errored before the second episode and I never went back to it.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #159 on: August 04, 2016, 11:32:04 AM »
This thread reminded me I still need to watch the first season of True Detective.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #160 on: August 04, 2016, 02:27:33 PM »
Breaking Bad. I watched the first episode and loved it. Netflix errored before the second episode and I never went back to it.

I watched the entire first season. It didn't grab me enough to go back to it.

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #161 on: August 04, 2016, 02:34:44 PM »
I also quit watching BB, but I think it's mainly because I was spoiled the hell out of it by fanboys saying just how awesome it was.

In fact, they told me how awesome it was so many times it created a lot of expectations, which the spoilers and the seasons I saw failed to live up to.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #162 on: August 04, 2016, 03:54:46 PM »
I watched the first few episodes of BB on Netflix and just don't get the hype. Oh well

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #163 on: August 04, 2016, 04:01:42 PM »
I watched the first episode and quit.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #164 on: August 04, 2016, 04:05:12 PM »
I quit after the 5th season.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #165 on: August 04, 2016, 08:22:22 PM »
I also quit watching BB, but I think it's mainly because I was spoiled the hell out of it by fanboys saying just how awesome it was.

In fact, they told me how awesome it was so many times it created a lot of expectations, which the spoilers and the seasons I saw failed to live up to.

this remains the sole reason why I haven't watched it. It's been talked up to me so much by my brothers, mother...friends....I just can't imagine that it can live up to how much they worship(ped) this show.

I watched the first few episodes of BB on Netflix and just don't get the hype. Oh well

one thing my brother did warn me about is that getting through the first season is tough...but apparently after that it really kicks into gear?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #166 on: August 04, 2016, 08:25:23 PM »
I think Breaking Bad is awesome from the start.  The first three episodes are all amazing and should be watched in succession at the same time.  The next two episodes are more or less developmental episodes, as we see the storyline forming more, and then the final two episodes of Season 1 are fantastic.  And then the show just keeps getting better and better and better.  I don't see it ever being topped. :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Online BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #167 on: August 05, 2016, 03:25:27 AM »
I think the "greatness" of Breaking Bad lies much in the series as a whole. I enjoyed watching it all the way through, but I feel I could appreciate the good of all the seasons the most once I finished the whole thing, so that I could look back on it all as one single very focused story.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #168 on: August 05, 2016, 03:45:49 AM »
Too much hype can be devestating, I absolutely know that and I can relate. Some shows just dosen't live up to the enormouse hype the fans create. However the best medicine to that is to wait until you feel the itch to watch it and friends aren't bugging you to watch it anymore. BB is with out a doubt well worth the wait, it's one of the greatest tv-shows ever created.

"Expertly written, virtuosic with its direction, and flawlessly performed, Breaking Bad is everything you could want in a drama. Critics will spend the next decade dissecting and arguing about what made it great, but the reasons are endless and already well documented."

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #169 on: August 05, 2016, 04:10:10 AM »
Too much hype can be devestating, I absolutely know that and I can relate. Some shows just dosen't live up to the enormouse hype the fans create. However the best medicine to that is to wait until you feel the itch to watch it and friends aren't bugging you to watch it anymore. BB is with out a doubt well worth the wait, it's one of the greatest tv-shows ever created.

I agree with this.  The Wire was the biggy for me - when the hype was at the maximum for that show and my friends were telling me I must watch it. I tried it, watched the first 3 episodes and couldn't get into it at all.   I was halfway though watching The Shield at the time, and thought the Shield pissed all over the first 3 episodes of The Wire so gave up on it.   Several years later (early last year) I finally sat down to watch it - and it blew me away, it was amazing (better than The Shield i'll admit now).

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #170 on: August 05, 2016, 04:54:32 AM »
Homeland
The Americans
The Walking Dead
True Blood

I think the problem with a lot of shows is that there is only so much you can do with the format. The Walking Dead is a good show, but after 5 years of "Go to new location - Argh! Zombies! - Fight!- leave for new location" it gets a bit repetitive.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #171 on: August 05, 2016, 05:29:33 AM »

one thing my brother did warn me about is that getting through the first season is tough...but apparently after that it really kicks into gear?

The problem is that with Netflix if a show doesn't catch you there are a host of others to watch or rewatch. I went through the first season of Dexter in one sitting so I'd be more intrigued to continue with that, or American Horror Story, or Weeds, than I would taking more chances with BB. It would be way at the bottom of the list if I wanted to try again with it.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #172 on: August 05, 2016, 01:56:36 PM »
That reminds me, Weeds. Fucking trashcan of a show (or rather, actors). It was an alright start and slowly degraded into background noise/entertainment but midway through the third season I just couldn't do it anymore. I now cannot stand that overly dramatic, drama queen-ish lead actress, I forget her name. I've seen her in a couple movies in lowly roles and she is just so cringe inducing. Her face and expressions also annoy me so that doesn't help.

Only good part of the show was watching dumbfuck Andy's antics with Doug. That was a huge reason I stuck around for three-ish seasons. Such fantastic fools; but in a good way, not in the kidney-punch of an annoyance the lead actress is.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline SeventhDegree

• of Inner Turbulence
« Reply #173 on: August 06, 2016, 11:47:48 AM »
'The Leftovers'

I really liked the 1st season but season 2 I thought kinda sucked after the main protagonist moved his family to that town where no "departures" took place.  I probably will not watch season 3.  Well...maybe the first couple of episodes to see how it goes.

'Earth: Final Conflict'

I watched the first two seasons but got bored with it afterwards.  Especially after the main character (William Boone) and others were no longer on the show.

"I'm tired of Facebook, tired of my failing health
I'm tired of everyone, and that includes myself."
----------Steven Wilson, 2017

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #174 on: August 10, 2016, 01:56:56 AM »
Once upon a time
Sleepy Hollow
Zoo
Extant
Scandal
House of Cards (might pick it back up at some point)