1 (0.7%)
2 (1.4%)
2 (1.4%)
2 (1.4%)
4 (2.9%)
0 (0%)
4 (2.9%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Author Topic: Favourite year in music?  (Read 5782 times)

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Re: Favourite year in music?
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2016, 05:08:37 PM »
2005 was incredible, I will get a list up of all my favourites from that year soon.

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2016, 07:51:02 PM »
1988: Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince, JJ FAD, NWA, Run DMC, Public Enemy, Eric B and Rakim, all classics.  Don't listen to very much recent stuff.

Thanks, man. I'll check them out.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2016, 01:03:40 AM »
I'm a big hard rock\prog guy, but my favorite year in metal was definitely 1984.

Metallica - Ride The Lightning
Queensryche - The Warning
Iron Maiden - Powerslave
Mercyful Fate - Don't Break the Oath

My love for metal really took off that year. I had bought all four albums in the year of their release.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 01:11:09 AM by LudwigVan »
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline dparrott

« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2016, 11:26:53 PM »
1988: Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince, JJ FAD, NWA, Run DMC, Public Enemy, Eric B and Rakim, all classics.  Don't listen to very much recent stuff.

Thanks, man. I'll check them out.

Run-DMC's song Tougher Than Leather from 1988...some of the best guitar solos you'll hear in a rap song. 
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline chaossystem

• We're on to your agenda, the dead-end road to nowhere.
  • Chapters unfinished, fading
« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2016, 04:02:36 PM »
First I want to ask the OP: Was there a particular reason for 1966 being the starting point? I'm just curious about why it's THAT particular year.

Now...be prepared for a long and boring history lesson. The years I selected are because of their significance to and influence on prog and metal in general, and on Dream Theater in specific. They are: 1967, 1969, 1974, 1980 and 1983.

-1967: Mostly because of Pink Floyd's first album, and what for a long time what I THOUGHT was the Moody Blues' first album. But Days of Future Past was their first album with Justin Hayward and John lodge, and this is where they established their signature sound. Also the year of Sgt. Pepper, The Doors' first two albums, and Traffic's first album. I think they were somewhat of an influence on prog, and Steve Winwood influenced a lot of music by himself.

-1969:There's some dispute about when Black Sabbath released their first album, but they at least RECORDED it in 1969. Genesis released their first album as well. It doesn't sound anything like what they did after, but at least they got their foot in the door of the recording studio. But for me, the most important thing in music from 1969 is that Yes put out their first album. They were a big influence on both Rush and DT, among others. And speaking of Rush...

-1974:...not only is this the year that Judas Priest and Kansas put their first albums out, but Rush's debuted as well. Oh and it was also the year that Genesis released The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway, which was Peter Gabriel's last Album with them.

-1980: What DIDN'T happen in 1980? Let's see...AC/DC bounced back from the death of Bon Scott by putting out Back in Black, which I believe was their best-selling album ever. Black Sabbath had a HUGE recovery from all of THEIR problems by recording heaven and Hell with Ronnie James Dio taking over for Ozzy on vocals...and speaking of Ozzy, he did pretty good for himself with Blizzard of Ozz, and the beginning of his all-too-brief partnership with Randy Rhoads. Iron maiden's debut album came out, although some versions of the story have the release date as being 1979, so I'm not 100% sure. Judas Priest gave us British Steel, and I really don't remember anything before Breaking the Law from them being a "radio friendly hit." Kansas did  their last album with their "original" (if you're counting from the first album) line-up, Audio-Visions. Motorhead put out Ace of Spades. Yes released Drama, which was their first album without Jon Anderson on lead vocals, and WITH Geoff Downes playing the keyboards, which kind of set the precedent for the current version of the band. Some other of my personal favorite albums came out as well, and I probably left out some things that I MEANT to include, but this thing is long enough as is.

-1983: This was the first year that Dio released an album under his own name, Holy Diver. Do I HAVE to tell you? A little band called METALLICA debuted this year with Kill 'em All. It was also the year Queensryche put out their first few songs on an E.P. Yes had their biggest commercial hit with 90125 and Owner of a Lonely Heart. It was Yes's first alum with Trevor Rabin, and he somewhat took control of the band, with mixed results. It was also the last time Roger Waters recorded with Pink Floyd on The Final Cut
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2016, 04:14:38 PM »
First I want to ask the OP: Was there a particular reason for 1966 being the starting point? I'm just curious about why it's THAT particular year.

Can you think of any truly great rock albums pre-1966? That's when rock started to get interesting.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2016, 05:01:18 PM »
Can you think of any truly great rock albums pre-1966? That's when rock started to get interesting.

There's a few notable releases, mainly by Bob Dylan (Highway Revisited, Bringing it All Back Home) and the Beatles (Hard Day's Night, Help, Rubber Soul) but it's true much more great rock albums started to came after 1965.

But there's more to music than rock. In fact, the very first great albums in history are from the Jazz genre during the 50s. I know most here probably aren't familiar with Jazz so including pre-1966 options in the pool would be pointless but just saying.
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2016, 09:12:36 PM »
There's a few notable releases, mainly by Bob Dylan (Highway Revisited, Bringing it All Back Home) and the Beatles (Hard Day's Night, Help, Rubber Soul) but it's true much more great rock albums started to came after 1965.

But there's more to music than rock. In fact, the very first great albums in history are from the Jazz genre during the 50s. I know most here probably aren't familiar with Jazz so including pre-1966 options in the pool would be pointless but just saying.

I don't know about Dylan (I haven't listened to any album in full), but I was very much into The Beatles in my teens, and I agree Rubber Soul is a great album - probably my favourite by them (the others, though, I feel have many cool songs, but many weaker ones too).

I know there are some Zappa fans here, so to them it would also make sense to start this at 1966.

And with regards to Jazz: I've only listened to three albums from that era - Kind Of Blue, Bill Evans' Waltz For Debby and Kenny Dorham's Trompeta Toccatta. I know the Miles Davis' one is a classic, but the other two are cool too. I've been interested in listening to Time Out, because from what I've read, it's one of the first western music albums full of odd-time signatures. I've only heard "Take Five".

What other ones would you recommend?

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2016, 09:35:29 PM »

Actually it's just because it was 50 years ago.
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline chaossystem

• We're on to your agenda, the dead-end road to nowhere.
  • Chapters unfinished, fading
« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2016, 10:22:19 PM »
That was one of my guesses! Did you just decide to cut it off at 50? Probably a wise decision, since that's already more than enough to try keep track of and choose from.
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #45 on: February 28, 2016, 10:56:07 PM »

And with regards to Jazz: I've only listened to three albums from that era - Kind Of Blue, Bill Evans' Waltz For Debby and Kenny Dorham's Trompeta Toccatta. I know the Miles Davis' one is a classic, but the other two are cool too. I've been interested in listening to Time Out, because from what I've read, it's one of the first western music albums full of odd-time signatures. I've only heard "Take Five".

What other ones would you recommend?
There isn't really a definitive list as such. Jazz is big enough that the question is like asking, what are the essential rock albums? Everyone is gonna give you a fairly different answer.

Do you want classics from each subgenre, or a bunch of cool/postbop/hardbop/modal albums that kind of showcase the sound people typically have in their head when they think of jazz?

If the latter: 1959 wasn't far off my five favourite years, and is generally seen as a peak year in jazz. You could do a lot worse than starting there. In that year, there was

(Miles, kind of blue)
Dave brubeck, time out
Art blakey, moanin
Charles mingus, mingus ah um
Ornette coleman, the shape of jazz to come
John coltrane, giant steps
Miles, sketches of spain
Bill evans, a portrait in jazz

All of those are an uber classic to someone.

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #46 on: February 29, 2016, 10:38:12 AM »
(Miles, kind of blue)
Dave brubeck, time out
Art blakey, moanin
Charles mingus, mingus ah um
Ornette coleman, the shape of jazz to come
John coltrane, giant steps
Miles, sketches of spain
Bill evans, a portrait in jazz

All of those are an uber classic to someone.

Thanks for the list, I'll see if I can find some of those around my area (I don't like streaming/downloading). I also recently found a copy of the deluxe A Love Supreme, and a Miles' compilation from his 80s recordings, so those seem interesting to me too.

As far as other subgenres: well, for a while I enjoyed listening to earlier stuff like Benny Goodman and Ella Fitzgerald. I also like modern, experimental stuff with rock/pop influences, such as Medeski Martin & Wood - I loved their Radiolarians 3 record, so at some point I'll get to listen to the one before it (sadly, Radiolarians 1 hasn't been released in my country...).

So, if you don't mind, would you care to recommend me:

1-A swing/big-band 30s/40s album? (I know the 'album' came much later; so maybe a live recording, or a compilation?)
2-A cool/bop album 50s/60s album? (well, I guess you already did :P)
3-A more modern type album?

Thanks!

PS: 9 years ago I bought The Billboard Illustrated Encyclopedia of Jazz & Blues, a really detailed nice book. Anyways, while reading I became fascinated with free-jazz - it seemed like it would be the coolest music ever. Well, last year I checked out two albums (both by a band Roberto Pettinatto assembled, including Henry Grimes, Tyshawn Sorey and Dave Burrell). I gave only one listen to each, and I assume I'll never hear them again :P

Offline CharlesPL

« Reply #47 on: February 29, 2016, 10:39:27 AM »
88, 91,92 and 94 for me.

Offline 425

« Reply #48 on: February 29, 2016, 11:00:00 AM »
Off the top of my head, 2011 and 2005 stand out as strong years.

2011:
A Dramatic Turn of Events
Heritage
Mylo Xyloto
Imaginaerum
Visions

2005:
Octavarium
X&Y
Plans
The Black Halo
Ghost Reveries
Deadwing
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #49 on: February 29, 2016, 11:20:03 AM »
From 1987, you mentioned Guns N' Roses (which were influenced by and influenced Aerosmith at that time), so I'm curious to know why you don't think it fits your personal tastes. The lyrics, maybe?

I just never cared for their sound.  I cannot deny that they were huge.  But they just never did anything for me. 

GNR is an interesting band, too.  I initially hated Appetite.  I eventually softened to it, and it was in rotation pretty heavily.  That's why I have to list it (in addition to its overall success and influence).  Then I lost interest again and never even bought another GNR album. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #50 on: February 29, 2016, 06:34:55 PM »
I don’t know what to put here anymore

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #51 on: February 29, 2016, 07:02:40 PM »
I just never cared for their sound.  I cannot deny that they were huge.  But they just never did anything for me. 

GNR is an interesting band, too.  I initially hated Appetite.  I eventually softened to it, and it was in rotation pretty heavily.  That's why I have to list it (in addition to its overall success and influence).  Then I lost interest again and never even bought another GNR album.

Oh, alright.
From Guns N' Roses I've also listened to just one album: Use Your Illusion II.
I see all this praise for Appetite For Destruction in forums, books, magazines; maybe I should give it a go one day.

PS: I used to be very much into Aerosmith when I was 13, and the band (and particularly Pump) has a lot of cool, fun songs, and some nice ballads too (not all, though).
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 07:12:16 PM by SebastianPratesi »

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #52 on: February 29, 2016, 09:16:07 PM »

Oh, alright.
From Guns N' Roses I've also listened to just one album: Use Your Illusion II.
I see all this praise for Appetite For Destruction in forums, books, magazines; maybe I should give it a go one day.

The Use Your Illusion albums were bloated self indulgent mediocrity for the most part. There were still some great tracks, but most of it was filler. And even the good stuff isn't really comparable in style to anything from Appetite, except for You Could Be Mine, which is no coincidence since it was left over from that era. AFD however is an essential and classic hard rock album, and one of the top reasons I voted for 1987.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #53 on: February 29, 2016, 09:43:14 PM »
67: Beatles, Hendrix, so many more

76: 2112, Boston, Leftoverture,
Songs in the Key of Life

1985: Power Windows, Welcome to the Real World, Tears for Fears, We Are The Wprld, earliest music memories on my part

1991: Images and Words, Nevermind, so many more

1994: more

:lol I'm tired

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #54 on: February 29, 2016, 09:56:54 PM »

Images and Words is from 1992 tho.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #55 on: February 29, 2016, 10:02:24 PM »

Maybe that's why he said "never mind" afterwards. :neverusethis:
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #56 on: February 29, 2016, 10:05:56 PM »
1994: Dummy, The Downward Spiral, Welcome to Sky Valley, Superunknown, dubnobasswithmyheadman, Awake
FTFY  :metal

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #57 on: February 29, 2016, 11:13:02 PM »
2007: In Rainbows, Neon Bible, Boxer, Sound of Silver, Graduation...

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #58 on: March 02, 2016, 05:19:26 AM »

1-A swing/big-band 30s/40s album? (I know the 'album' came much later; so maybe a live recording, or a compilation?)
2-A cool/bop album 50s/60s album? (well, I guess you already did :P)
3-A more modern type album?

Thanks!

PS: 9 years ago I bought The Billboard Illustrated Encyclopedia of Jazz & Blues, a really detailed nice book. Anyways, while reading I became fascinated with free-jazz - it seemed like it would be the coolest music ever. Well, last year I checked out two albums (both by a band Roberto Pettinatto assembled, including Henry Grimes, Tyshawn Sorey and Dave Burrell). I gave only one listen to each, and I assume I'll never hear them again :P

1 - I bought a few compilations of old jazz some years ago. Nothing on them stood out, really. Jazz gradually matured as a genre after the swing era, changing from a pop / dance kind of music to one more focused on artistry and theory between 1945-55 ish. I guess because of this, to me, the further back you go from the late '50s, the more it just seems like fluff. If I was to suggest any early jazz, it'd be Duke Ellington, and I'm sure there are hundreds of compilations of recordings from the swing era of which you could grab any. But even then, as jazz matured, he upped his game to keep up with it, so his best stuff was in the '50s and '60s anyway, and was still swing and big band (to name one album, Ellington Uptown).

2 - From that 1959 list, Time Out is cool jazz, and Moanin' is bop.

3 - Never heard of Medeski, Martin and Wood until now, but from a quick listen, that's kind of nu-jazz / acid jazz, which I know very little about.

The best free-jazz is about the best music ever, and the worst free-jazz is barely music at all. There's probably no type of music where the line between absolute genius and absolute shit is so fine. I've never heard of Robert Pettinatto, so I can't speak for his stuff.

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #59 on: March 02, 2016, 10:46:41 AM »
The best free-jazz is about the best music ever, and the worst free-jazz is barely music at all. There's probably no type of music where the line between absolute genius and absolute shit is so fine. I've never heard of Robert Pettinatto, so I can't speak for his stuff.

Thanks for the recommendations! I'll search around stores, and see what I can find.

The first Pettinatto album I listened to is called Purity. It has only one track - a 50 minute improvisation recorded in 2011, of which I don't remember much. I liked the instrumentation and the overall sound, but to me it sounded like 4 guys playing out of tempo and not considering what the others were doing.

Pretty much the same goes for the 2nd album - Same Egg. Although, the problem with that one is it's much longer - 4 new improvisations, plus the first take they did for "Purity".

From what I read, I assumed free-jazz consisted of a musician starting to play something out of the blue (not pre-written), and the others in the band improvising stuff over that. Although, I guess the word for that is 'jamming'? So, maybe I do need to listen to Coleman to get a bigger picture.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #60 on: March 02, 2016, 05:46:26 PM »
In order - chronologically, and best to not-as-best

1971 - Zeppelin IV, Who’s Next, Meddle, Sticky Fingers, LA Woman, Imagine, Fragile, Aqualung, The Yes Album, Nursery Cryme,

1976 - Boston, Hotel California, 2112, Rocks, Rising, Destroyer, A Day at the Races, Frampton Comes Alive!, Dirty Deeds, Leftoverture, Fly Like An Eagle, Night Moves,

1981 - Moving Pictures, Allied Forces, Killers, Diary of a Madman, Fair Warning, Escape, Face Value, Paradise Theater, October, Abacab, Exit … Stage Left, Duran Duran, 4, For Those About To Rock… We Salute You, Mob Rules, I Love Rock ’n’ Roll

1987 - Hysteria, Appetite for Destruction, The Joshua Tree, Kick, Clutching at Straws, Whitesnake, A Momentary Lapse of Reason, Permanent Vacation, Great Dirty World, Dirty Dancing Soundtrack, Hall of the Mountain King, Surveillance, Pride,

1989 - Pump, Extreme, Flying in A Blue Dream, Dr. Feelgood, Skid Row, Mr. Big, Presto, A Show of Hands, Gutter Ballet, The Great Radio Controversy, The Headless Children, Big Game, Slip of the Tongue, Winter Rose,

Ya know Kev... I almost see your point in '76 being the best.

Almost.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #61 on: March 02, 2016, 06:32:02 PM »
1976 - Boston, Hotel California, 2112, Rocks, Rising, Destroyer, A Day at the Races, Frampton Comes Alive!, Dirty Deeds, Leftoverture, Fly Like An Eagle, Night Moves,

1987 - Hysteria, Appetite for Destruction, The Joshua Tree, Kick, Clutching at Straws, Whitesnake, A Momentary Lapse of Reason, Permanent Vacation, Great Dirty World, Dirty Dancing Soundtrack, Hall of the Mountain King, Surveillance, Pride,

1989 - Pump, Extreme, Flying in A Blue Dream, Dr. Feelgood, Skid Row, Mr. Big, Presto, A Show of Hands, Gutter Ballet, The Great Radio Controversy, The Headless Children, Big Game, Slip of the Tongue, Winter Rose,

Nice to see some love for Aerosmith! :) Cool band.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #62 on: March 02, 2016, 08:45:29 PM »

Almost.

Not good enough. Only full realization and agreement will suffice. :biggrin:

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #63 on: March 02, 2016, 09:11:29 PM »

Almost.

Not good enough. Only full realization and agreement will suffice. :biggrin:

That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #64 on: March 02, 2016, 10:20:46 PM »
1991, 1996, 1998, 2000, 2015

Offline 7deg_inner_happiness

• Can't get enough music!
« Reply #65 on: March 03, 2016, 06:04:41 AM »
1972, 1973, 1974, 1975, 1976
- Ronzoni -

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #66 on: March 03, 2016, 06:08:53 AM »

Maybe that's why he said "never mind" afterwards. :neverusethis:

It was recorded in 1991 :neverusethis:

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #67 on: March 03, 2016, 08:34:49 AM »
I think it's a bit early to tell, but it definitely was a very strong year.

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #68 on: March 03, 2016, 09:18:44 AM »
I think it's a bit early to tell, but it definitely was a very strong year.

I agree. I got to discover a lot of bands/singers with their new albums.
Do you have a favourite album from last year?

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #69 on: March 03, 2016, 11:18:30 AM »
05. City Of Evil, bitches.  :metal

But honestly except for 2015 every year since has been a close contender for me.