New York City 3/4/93
Bucharest, Romania 7/4/02 (DVD only)
Santiago, Chile 12/6/05 (DVD only)
Master Of Puppets
The Number Of The Beast
Dark Side Of The Moon (CD or DVD)
Made in Japan
Uncovered 2003-2005

Author Topic: What are your 5 ESSENTIAL Ytsejam releases?  (Read 9313 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: What are your 5 ESSENTIAL Ytsejam releases?
« Reply #105 on: July 11, 2018, 05:08:28 PM »
Oh wow yea that 98 show looks like a gem and I don't think I realized they had enough rush covers to release a CD.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #106 on: July 11, 2018, 05:21:32 PM »
Probably not worth the hassle though, but I can only think of the BCSL shows as a possible "unreleased ytse jam" bootleg.
Other than the Santiago show, there's nothing post-ToT.  I would imagine there could be some "making of Octavarium" stuff that could be very interesting.  I personally wouldn't be interested in anything relating to SC or BC&SL, but that could be out there as well.
As I recall, the bootlegs MP had lined up were...
Download Festival 2009 DVD;
Summer Sonic Festival 2010 DVD;
Rush live covers compilation (Likely CD);
The Making Of Six Degrees (Presumably CD);
1998-12-30 live CD.

It is somewhat unclear as to whether the BCSL DVDs would have been simply those two shows in full as DVDs, or whether it would have been a compilation like Chaos In Motion was(I remember it as the latter, this post from Setlist Scotty suggests it was the former. Not sure who's right here, so I've assumed Setlist Scotty knows better than I do), but regardless, having some BCSL live stuff officially released would have been nice, and that 1998 CD would have been unbelievable.
Because both shows were festival gigs with short setlists, and because there was little overlap, I'm pretty sure both shows would've been included in full on the same DVD.

And you're correct about all the other releases being on CD only. Typically, each batch of official bootlegs included only one DVD; the rest were CD only.

I don't think I realized they had enough rush covers to release a CD.
They do, although I wish they would've actually covered a full Rush album (which would've been Moving Pictures) and included the other tracks as bonus material, as they did for Dark Side of the Moon. But still having a compilation of the Rush covers would have been nice...
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #107 on: July 11, 2018, 07:03:20 PM »
Pull Me Under
Constant Motion
A Rite of Passage
Hollow Years
The Count of Tuscany
Encore: Metropolis Pt. 1: The Miracle and the Sleeper

Summer Sonic Festival 2010 DVD;
A Nightmare to Remember
A Rite of Passage
Prophets of War
Wither
The Count of Tuscany
Pull Me Under / Metropolis Pt. 1

These above two shows would've been AMAZING to own, as a piece of history for the band on their short BC&SL tour(s). Between the two, we would've gotten four BC&SL songs, plus the one SC song they hadn't played on the SC Tour, as well as a KILLER version of "Hollow Years" (a video of which exists on YouTube, I believe, with some interesting fans in the crowd...). A 2-DVD set of these two together would've been an instant purchase from me.

I think MP had always planned to release the DT Rush covers after an album-performance, much in the vein of The Dark Side Of The Moon release, which included several Pink Floyd covers on the bonus disc. Which album they might have covered, I do not know, but it would've been amazing regardless. As both a DT and Rush fan, this would've been an instant purchase as well.

The Making Of Six Degrees (Presumably CD);

This could have been interesting. I did find it odd that it was pretty much skipped in terms of making-of/demo releases, so I always wondered if they even kept anything that could constitute a decent Making Of/Demos album for SDOIT. I'm sure I would've bought it at some point, but how fast would've been dependent on how interesting the material would be.

1998-12-30 live CD.

Oh yes, the Poughkeepsie show, most interesting for all of the covers and medleys, and performances of four of the five FII B-Sides ("Raise The Knife" being the absent song). This would have been great to own officially, though according to the MP Setlist page, it says it has a release, which I assume to be a circulated bootleg. I don't think I ever downloaded that one back when I was huge into DIME and downloading live boots from bands like DT, Rush, Genesis, Yes, etc. Given the amount of Sherinian-era live shows already released (Tokyo 95, New Jersey 96, LA 98, and the official OIALT release), I bet there was some reluctance to release another show with him on it, though given his short run with DT, as a fan, I would not mind hearing more of his time with the band, especially in the intimate live setting this show was done in.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #108 on: July 11, 2018, 07:38:39 PM »
Pull Me Under
Constant Motion
A Rite of Passage
Hollow Years
The Count of Tuscany
TCoT wasn't played at this show.

I think MP had always planned to release the DT Rush covers after an album-performance, much in the vein of The Dark Side Of The Moon release, which included several Pink Floyd covers on the bonus disc.
Correct.

Which album they might have covered, I do not know, but it would've been amazing regardless.
PSSSSSSSST!!!!
I wish they would've actually covered a full Rush album (which would've been Moving Pictures)
;)

Given the amount of Sherinian-era live shows already released (Tokyo 95, New Jersey 96, LA 98, and the official OIALT release), I bet there was some reluctance to release another show with him on it, though given his short run with DT
I don't think so. Aside from the LA 98 show, the setlists are pretty varied between every one of the live releases from DS's time with the band. And the Poughkeepsie show was probably the most varied of them all. I think that's what MP was most interested in - providing official bootlegs with different setlists, instead of bootlegs with setlists that were very similar.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #109 on: July 11, 2018, 07:56:54 PM »
Not to be the Yang to someone's Yin, but:

Pull Me Under
Constant Motion
A Rite of Passage
Hollow Years
The Count of Tuscany

A Nightmare to Remember
A Rite of Passage
Prophets of War
Wither
The Count of Tuscany
Pull Me Under / Metropolis Pt. 1

1998-12-30 live CD.

Sounds like the lamest bunch of options.

Videos of PMU, Metropolis, Rite of Passage (Twice!), Wither, CM performed at festivals... yawn.

Said my thoughts on their cover performances enough in other threads.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #110 on: July 11, 2018, 10:19:55 PM »
Pull Me Under
Constant Motion
A Rite of Passage
Hollow Years
The Count of Tuscany
TCoT wasn't played at this show.

Gah, setlist.fm LIED to me!!! Ah well...

I think MP had always planned to release the DT Rush covers after an album-performance, much in the vein of The Dark Side Of The Moon release, which included several Pink Floyd covers on the bonus disc.
Correct.

Which album they might have covered, I do not know, but it would've been amazing regardless.
PSSSSSSSST!!!!
I wish they would've actually covered a full Rush album (which would've been Moving Pictures)
;)

:rollin :facepalm: - I guess I didn't read above very carefully! Oops... a Moving Pictures cover would've been neat, and they would've beat Rush to it, I'm sure. Would we have gotten two performances of "The Camera Eye" from DT then? Hmm...

Given the amount of Sherinian-era live shows already released (Tokyo 95, New Jersey 96, LA 98, and the official OIALT release), I bet there was some reluctance to release another show with him on it, though given his short run with DT
I don't think so. Aside from the LA 98 show, the setlists are pretty varied between every one of the live releases from DS's time with the band. And the Poughkeepsie show was probably the most varied of them all. I think that's what MP was most interested in - providing official bootlegs with different setlists, instead of bootlegs with setlists that were very similar.
Well, I don't disagree. Looking back at the shows after I posted my reply earlier, I did realize each show was fairly different from one another, and even if there were songs shared between them, the performances were different enough to warrant release. Hearing that Poughkeepsie show would be a treat, though!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Robo4900

• The Killing Hand
« Reply #111 on: July 11, 2018, 10:32:37 PM »
Because both shows were festival gigs with short setlists, and because there was little overlap, I'm pretty sure both shows would've been included in full on the same DVD.

And you're correct about all the other releases being on CD only. Typically, each batch of official bootlegs included only one DVD; the rest were CD only.
Thought that might be the case; didn't want to say without being certain, though. Thanks for clarifying. :)

These above two shows would've been AMAZING to own, as a piece of history for the band on their short BC&SL tour(s). Between the two, we would've gotten four BC&SL songs, plus the one SC song they hadn't played on the SC Tour, as well as a KILLER version of "Hollow Years" (a video of which exists on YouTube, I believe, with some interesting fans in the crowd...). A 2-DVD set of these two together would've been an instant purchase from me.
Agreed. Would've been damn awesome. :)
I always thought it was a big shame there's no official live release documenting the BCSL tour, and this would've done the job very nicely. Not quite to the degree of perfection that Bucharest managed this for the 6DoiT tour, but it'd be really nice. :biggrin:

Oh yes, the Poughkeepsie show, most interesting for all of the covers and medleys, and performances of four of the five FII B-Sides ("Raise The Knife" being the absent song). This would have been great to own officially, though according to the MP Setlist page, it says it has a release, which I assume to be a circulated bootleg. I don't think I ever downloaded that one back when I was huge into DIME and downloading live boots from bands like DT, Rush, Genesis, Yes, etc. Given the amount of Sherinian-era live shows already released (Tokyo 95, New Jersey 96, LA 98, and the official OIALT release), I bet there was some reluctance to release another show with him on it, though given his short run with DT, as a fan, I would not mind hearing more of his time with the band, especially in the intimate live setting this show was done in.

-Marc.
That show does indeed have a bootleg, but it's not very well-circulated outside of a certain circle of bootleg traders; it's a "Grateful Dreams" bootleg, which... Well... Strap yourself in, you've just unwittingly opened a personal can of worms of mine. Apologies in advance, you're about to read a ulyssesian ramble...

Okay, so, controversial opinion time: I think the Grateful Dreams rules are outdated and have become somewhat draconian with time... Basically, you're not allowed to share Grateful Dreams shows digitally over the internet, you are only permitted to trade them physically, usually by the post, which involves buying a set of CD-Rs, setting up your burner to burn bit-accurately(Presuming you have a functional burner), burning the bootleg to the CD-Rs(Unless your CD-Rs are duds), posting them to the intended recipient, and presumably they download the artwork from the Grateful Dreams site(And maybe they'll keep the discs around as souvenirs of the trade?). Originally, this was established back in the late '90s or so, back when internet trading was the wild west; everything was lossy, and no one respected the wishes of the tapers of the bootlegs, and the rules have kind of stuck around as a tradition. Wasteland once described it to me as a mark of professionalism, like wearing white at Wimbledon.
Anyway, basically what this means is you have to find someone to physically post you burned CDs(Or meet up with them in person) to actually get any Grateful Dreams stuff... People like Weymolith and Wasteland who have this stuff are friendly folks who I'd never say a word against, but in my view, giving someone my real actual address is quite a big deal(Aside from the typical reservations you'd expect, I do have to be very careful these days; long story short, there are some toxic members of the Dragon Ball fandom who've doxxed a few of my friends, sharing their physical addresses and full names, and if given the chance, those people would definitely do the same to me, so I'm very cautious. Additionally, I've had some bad experiences in the past few months with people I thought I could trust publicly sharing private messages I'd sent in confidence), and to be brutally honest, this all sounds like a really decadant way of sending files to each-other, so...

Ultimately, while I don't know about you, from where I'm standing, this isn't really an option for me.
In my view, it is rather frustrating that if this last batch of official bootlegs had gone through, I could own a copy of this show, but as it stands, my only option would be to give my home address to some guy on the internet I've only had a handful of conversations with... Not sure I want it that badly...
On top of this, a few of these circulate online as MP3s(One guy sent me a link to this very bootleg we're talking about a while back, along with a few others I think. No idea where they got it, and admittedly I never listened to the files myself, so they could be fake. I doubt it, though), and one guy even uploaded Cover My Eyes from this bootleg to YouTube... So... This whole situation kind of confuses me, if I'm honest...

Anyway... That's why you never saw this show on Dimeadozen, that's why this show isn't as widely-circulated as you'd think, and that's a bunch of things about me that are probably all massively boring to everyone else in the world. On the plus side, I have the bootlegs of the 26th, 27th, 28th, and 29th shows from December '98, and will gladly send them to you if you wish, but on the minus side, they're mostly rather poor-quality recordings, and probably pale in comparison to the Grateful Dreams release, which as I understand had some top-notch audio mastering done on it.
Apologies to any Grateful Dreams staff I may have offended over the course of this over-long drivel I've written here. I'm not out to offend or hurt anyone, and I am deeply sorry if I have done so.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 11:42:51 PM by Robo4900 »
Q: "When he went, had you gone and had she, if she wanted to and were able, for the time being excluding all the restraints on her not to go also, would he have brought you, meaning she and then, to the station?"
A: "OBJECTION, your honor! That question should be taken out and shot!"
--Allegedly from Utah vs Kelly, Superior Court of Utah, 1994. May be apocryphal

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #112 on: July 12, 2018, 10:11:28 AM »
I do want to offer a word of caution that I don't want to get too far off topic and have this veer into an extended discussion of GDT.  But with that said, I'll just offer my short two cents.

I think the very...er, "draconian," for lack of a better term, rules at GDT were a very good and positive They served a very valuable purpose, IMO, and not only provided a means and an incentive for those fan recordings to be higher quality than the norm, but also, as you noted, preserved a level of integrity.  They also served the purpose of keeping the gatekeeper of those fan recordings, a certain Mr. Portnoy, pacified, which allowed such trading and circulating to go unhindered by the band.

On the flip side, I somewhat agree that the rules/processes may seem a bit obsolete and in need of updating nowadays.  But as I am sure you know, Rob, there are often behind-the-scenes reasons why things are done as they are done.  And at the end of the day, GDT can make whatever rules its staff deem best, all interests considered.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Robo4900

• The Killing Hand
« Reply #113 on: July 12, 2018, 11:08:38 AM »
I do want to offer a word of caution that I don't want to get too far off topic and have this veer into an extended discussion of GDT.  But with that said, I'll just offer my short two cents.

I think the very...er, "draconian," for lack of a better term, rules at GDT were a very good and positive They served a very valuable purpose, IMO, and not only provided a means and an incentive for those fan recordings to be higher quality than the norm, but also, as you noted, preserved a level of integrity.  They also served the purpose of keeping the gatekeeper of those fan recordings, a certain Mr. Portnoy, pacified, which allowed such trading and circulating to go unhindered by the band.

On the flip side, I somewhat agree that the rules/processes may seem a bit obsolete and in need of updating nowadays.  But as I am sure you know, Rob, there are often behind-the-scenes reasons why things are done as they are done.  And at the end of the day, GDT can make whatever rules its staff deem best, all interests considered.
Indeed. I've never been involved in any GDT stuff, so I'm not really familiar with any behind-the-scenes stuff, so I'm not assuming I know better than anyone. Just gets a little frustrating from my position to see this stuff behind what ends up feeling like a fairly odd rule nowadays, which kind of blocks me off.
Still, it's kind of just a personal gripe of mine, and I'm not expecting to effect any change with this out in the air; if the GDT staff end up deciding to change the rules and I've been even the smallest part of that, then great, but I'm sure that, as you say, they have their reasons, and these rules have stood for many, many years without change, so even if a change was decided on, there's probably a lot to consider there, and at the time the rules were absolutely essential, so... I'm just some guy online complaining, I don't imagine any of this is of any consequence, when it comes down to it. Still, feels good to offer my two cents on the matter, at least.

(BTW, my name's not Rob. It would make sense if that was how I got my username, but I came up with it when I was like 8, so I don't actually recall any specific logic behind it. :lol)
Q: "When he went, had you gone and had she, if she wanted to and were able, for the time being excluding all the restraints on her not to go also, would he have brought you, meaning she and then, to the station?"
A: "OBJECTION, your honor! That question should be taken out and shot!"
--Allegedly from Utah vs Kelly, Superior Court of Utah, 1994. May be apocryphal