Author Topic: Amusement/Theme Park, County/State/Country Fair, and Overall Ride thread  (Read 17983 times)

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
+1 on the Flight of Passage ride

We waited the 90 minutes (which isn't that bad, we got there right as they opened but without an early entry) for it and I must say it was worth the wait.  Everyone I talked to said it was worth the 4 hour wait that it often has which had me kind of questioning their sanity to hear but I think it's legit. 

For one, I don't like roller coasters.  The feeling in my stomach is very uncomfortable for me, they are not my thing.  Now this isn't one at all, but there were lots of signs as you get close saying it's an intense ride and it got me worried a bit honestly, but this was totally fine. It was intense but not in a way like a typical roller coaster is I guess.

Maybe because it's all in your mind.  You are totally immersed with the screen so large in front of you that you can look all around and feel like you are there.  Plus as chino mentions, all the other additions like the water and temperature just add to it.  It's so visually impressive.  It's only a few minutes but I didn't blink the entire time.  I know this because I was crying afterwards  :lol well just had tears because my eyes were so exhausted, but I like to think they were tears of joy of experiencing something so amazing.

Offline pg1067

Went to the water park today. For the first time ever, I got to go on one of those water slides where you step in the chamber and stand on a clear platform, then it counts down from 3 and then just strait drops down in free fall and then funnels into a regular water slide with a crap load of speed. I loved it.

First time I went on something like that (at Raging Waters in Socal), I got water somewhere you don't want it.  I felt terrible until I took a break and dealt with the situation.  When I took my son there for the first time and warned him that there was something he needed to do in addition to crossing his legs and arms, he thought it was hilarious.  After the ride, he completely understood!

The Flight of Passage ride at the Pandora portion of Animal Kingdom is without question the most awesome ride I've ever been on. Seriously, Avatar subject matter aside, that ride is absolutely mind numbing. The ride is in 3D, so the video below is a little weird, but you can still get a really good gist of it.

Keep in mind, that while on the ride, you'd be subject to temperature swings, scents, water effects, and the shaking and breathing of the ikran between your legs. The entire ride pitches and shifts, violently at times, in sync with the ride. It's stunning.

What the heck is "breathing of the ikran"?

That aside, I find these "rides" where you basically stay in place and get shaken around while being shown a video a little annoying.  Give me a REAL roller coaster every day.

On another subject, we have friends who apparently went to Disneyland yesterday to see whatever the new Star Wars attraction is.  Looks like they recreated some of the sets really well.  Unfortunately, until Disneyland puts limits on admissions (which will never happen $$$$$), it will remain the crappiest place on Earth.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
If I had to pick a favorite type of roller coaster, it would be the hanging type a la Batman the ride

It always had a great feel, and the POV going through a loop only seeing sky is awesome

And while I never really liked Wooden coasters, Ironically my favorite roller coaster I have ever been on is El Toro

Pure insanity,  :hefdaddy

What about you guys?

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran

What the heck is "breathing of the ikran"?

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
my favorite is the setup that sheikra has .

You're legs are dangling but you also don't have the track above you. Inverted roller coasters are awesome but unless you sit up front your going to have a hard time seeing anything.

Offline pg1067

And while I never really liked Wooden coasters, Ironically my favorite roller coaster I have ever been on is El Toro

What about you guys?

That picture is pure beauty.

My all-time favorite was Colossus at Magic Mountain.  I took my son there a few years ago, and I think I remember Goliath being really good.  Not a huge fan of suspended coasters.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline TheCountOfNYC

If I had to pick a favorite type of roller coaster, it would be the hanging type a la Batman the ride

It always had a great feel, and the POV going through a loop only seeing sky is awesome

What about you guys?

My favorite coaster is in the same park: Nitro. My first night ride on her was the moment I became an enthusiast.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline TheSilentHam

• Bringin' da bacon
Nitro is also my favorite steel coaster.  I've been on others like it, some newer, but still prefer Nitro.  My gaming name for years is NitroBeast - my two favorite coasters put together.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
El Toro has been on my list to ride for years. I need it.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
I got on El Toro years ago and came out with neck pain, rough ride.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Of all the ways you can get stuck on a coaster this is the one I'd want. They got their money's worth.

https://www.foxnews.com/lifestyle/cedar-point-roller-coaster-stops
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
On Gatekeeper? That'd be hell. That ride does not feel good; always gives me a headache.  :lol
« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 07:36:17 AM by Implode »

Offline dparrott

There's always the good ol' Tooth Chipper!
https://imgur.com/r/TheSimpsons/ZplKi

I have a limited sample size, but my favorite is Space Mountain at DL.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
Re: Amusement/Theme Park, County/State/Country Fair, and Overall Ride thread
« Reply #83 on: January 26, 2020, 04:58:52 PM »
Six Flags NJ is building a new coaster (Finally). It called the Jersey devil. Looks cool

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #84 on: January 26, 2020, 06:12:44 PM »
That looks pretty good. Although SFGA is one of two parks they like to build good coasters for, so I'm not sure what the "finally" is about. You guys are spoiled. The last real coaster SFoT got was in 2001.  This year they're getting some idiotic shoot-the-ride.  :lol
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #85 on: January 26, 2020, 08:00:57 PM »
Green lantern was opened in 2011. That's 9 years ago.

Since that time, as far as coasters go, we had the lame as hell El Diablo in 2015 which I wouldn't even call a roller coaster. Its just some fair ground loop thing, which was so shit they closed it. And besides that there's The Joker, which aint all that great either. Looks cool as a concept, but I never found it that fun to ride.

So yes, because its been 9 years for something that actually seems pretty decent, I am saying Finally. But from the mid 90's up until 2011, I totally agree, we were spoiled as hell. It was like a new huge, cool new coaster almost every 2 to 3 years, but that pace has slowed down big time since 2011.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
So I've been knocking around a roller coaster tour this spring and fall to ride some of the great ones. I hauled ass down to San Antonio to blast through SF Fiesta Texas just to see if I could still ride them. Concern was lap bars banging the bejeesus out of my kidney. As it turns out the kidney and lap bars are no problem at all. The rest of it's a bitch, though.  I'm gettin old. :lol

My plan was to hit 6 Midwest and East Coast parks in the Spring and five NE parks in the fall. After Friday evening I've realized that's stupidly optimistic. Looking like the Spring trip will just be Cedar Point, SFGAm, King's Island. Maybe Holiday World just to ride The Voyage. King's Dominion and Busch Gardens will have to be a different trip. Fall would most likely be Canadia's Wonderland, Darien Lake, Knoebel's, and SFGAd. Between all of these parks that covers a massive chunk of the best coasters in the US.

What I will say is that now is a great time to be doing this. Six Flags is limiting capacity with a reservation system (though that'll probably be axed before too long), and right now they're only open evenings on Fridays. All of the rides save for one were essentially walk-ons when I was there. Want the front seat? Wait one extra cycle. Moreover, SF is offering free parking at all parks with their season passes this year. With the already discounted admission costs, a season pass cost $5 more than a single day ticket+parking, and will get me into 3 of their other parks this year. So basically, dirt cheap (relatively speaking), and very little waiting in line. I'll probably hit SSoT this Friday just because there'll never be a better time (and I need to ride two I skipped in SA).

For what it's worth, Fiesta Texas is a nice park. It's built into an old granite quarry, so two thirds of the park is surrounded by a sheer 90' rock face. Several of the coasters go up, down, and through the cliffs. 3D map view  Really quite scenic. They've got a great B&M floorless that takes great advantage of it, and the Iron Rattler is every bit as good as advertised. I wasn't sold on the RMC conversions, but now that I've ridden one I think it's a marvelous idea. You get the creakiness of a wooden coaster with the smoothness of a steel track. I didn't much care for the roughness of the Texas Giant, but now I'm really keen to ride the RMC conversion.

On the downside is the single track coaster. Phoenix posted a picture of the [still] upcoming Jersey Devil, which is the same ride as Wonder Woman at SFFT (one of the prototypes). Everybody seems to love the thing but I didn't like it a bit. It's so fast but compact you can never really tell what's happening, and the new style of restraints are just barbaric.*  That was the second coaster I road, and it took half an hour before I wanted to get on another ride, and my collarbone was sore for days. There aren't many rides I have no desire to ride again, but any RCM single rail will make that list. It's like being tossed into a Cuisinart.

*The Jersey Devil picture makes them look so minimal and comfortable. They're anything but.
E.F. Benson

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
I'm looking at possibly Busch Gardens, VA in connection with a D.C. trip.  We've been wanting to do a family D.C. trip forever, and it kept getting postponed for a variety of reasons (the latest of which, last year, was Covid).  With an 18-year-old soon starting college, this may be the last chance as a family, so we're going to do it this summer, even though summer is less than ideal.

Not sure whether I will attempt all the coasters.  My 16-y-o probably will.  Maybe we need to bring a buddy for him.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
Ive always wanted to go to a big mid west country fair carnival.   when I see that show "Carnival Eats" I see so much amazing fun food and I love to try creative unusual foods
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
EB, if you make your way to Great Adventure, let me know. 

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
That may well be the Gojira fandango.
E.F. Benson

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
That may well be the Gojira fandango.

:metal :metal

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!

My plan was to hit 6 Midwest and East Coast parks in the Spring and five NE parks in the fall. After Friday evening I've realized that's stupidly optimistic. Looking like the Spring trip will just be Cedar Point, SFGAm, King's Island. Maybe Holiday World just to ride The Voyage. King's Dominion and Busch Gardens will have to be a different trip. Fall would most likely be Canadia's Wonderland, Darien Lake, Knoebel's, and SFGAd. Between all of these parks that covers a massive chunk of the best coasters in the US.

I'll be expecting a call!  :) :)   (SFGAd is about 7 miles from my house now; it'll be a little farther when I move.  Maybe 15.)

I'm old enough to remember when it was an unaffiliated park (Riverside) and even had a racetrack there that hosted NASCAR events.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2021, 12:55:23 PM by Stadler »

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran

I'll be expecting a call!  :) :)   (SFGAd is about 7 miles from my house now; it'll be a little farther when I move.  Maybe 15.)

Can I come and play too?

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Man, now you guys are putting pressure on me to make it happen.  :lol

(SFGAd is about 7 miles from my house now; it'll be a little farther when I move.  Maybe 15.)
How does that work? Great Adventure is in New Jersey. You thinking of SF New England? 
E.F. Benson

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran

(SFGAd is about 7 miles from my house now; it'll be a little farther when I move.  Maybe 15.)
How does that work? Great Adventure is in New Jersey. You thinking of SF New England?

He was probably thinking of the one in Agawam MA. I'm not sure if there's another one in NE besides that one.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni

He was probably thinking of the one in Agawam MA. I'm not sure if there's another one in NE besides that one.

That's exactly right.   Agawam is just over the border from me.  My stepdaughter actually used to work there before she got out of school.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
Six Flags NJ is building a new coaster (Finally). It called the Jersey devil. Looks cool

wowwwwwzah   Ive done all their coasters and free fall along with the Batman coaster ...good times
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline TheCountOfNYC

I went to Six Flags Great Adventure for the first time in three years on Mother’s Day. Didn’t go on too many of the big rides this time as we were with my one year old niece, but I got on Kingda Ka, Zumajaro, El Toro, and Nitro, which are my favorite rides in the park.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
By the way, the Six Flags in Agawam has a roller coaster (that used to be called) Thunderbolt that was built in 1941 and is still operating.  Sometimes those old coasters are fun, if not a little scary.  That "Jersey Devil" looks like... uh, I'll meet you in the beer line.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
By the way, the Six Flags in Agawam has a roller coaster (that used to be called) Thunderbolt that was built in 1941 and is still operating.  Sometimes those old coasters are fun, if not a little scary.  That "Jersey Devil" looks like... uh, I'll meet you in the beer line.

You ever ride the Mad Mouse at Quassy? That thing was built in the 60s and was terrifying. Not because it was a good coaster, but because it felt like it was going to collapse at any moment.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni

You ever ride the Mad Mouse at Quassy? That thing was built in the 60s and was terrifying. Not because it was a good coaster, but because it felt like it was going to collapse at any moment.

It's been a long time, but yes, I've ridden that, and it WAS absolutely terrifying for exactly the reason you mention.  It's gone now but I can remember spending a lot of time looking at and contemplating the pipes that were holding it together.

For those that don't know, it was metal, and didn't have the heft or density of those older wooden coasters.  It looked like track laid between a bunch of light poles if you really want to know.

Here is a picture: https://rcdb.com/378.htm#p=86414

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
I'd be more concerned about the cars coming off the track. Doesn't look to me like there are any upstops on the wheels. As for the structure, I can't tell how interconnected any of it is. If the poles are all sufficiently tied to each other it's probably pretty safe. That company's been making wild mouse coasters for a very long time. They probably know their business.

Off to SFoT to re-ride some classics and hit a couple of stragglers I skipped in San Antonio. I didn't realize that their 4D coaster wasn't a typical Zac Spin, which suck, so I skipped it. Apparently the newer S&S models are pretty good. They also have an Endeavor ride, which is the modern replacement of the old Enterprise rides that we all grew up with.

Also, I didn't realize until yesterday that the 43 year old Shockwave sill holds the record for most Gs in a normal coaster (5.9). Those loops really are pretty tight.
E.F. Benson

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods

It's been a long time, but yes, I've ridden that, and it WAS absolutely terrifying for exactly the reason you mention.  It's gone now but I can remember spending a lot of time looking at and contemplating the pipes that were holding it together.

For those that don't know, it was metal, and didn't have the heft or density of those older wooden coasters.  It looked like track laid between a bunch of light poles if you really want to know.

Now that looks like it will collapse by the touch of a feather.

There's a ride that comes to our state fair similar to Mad Mouse, it might even be called that, but I know it was something Mouse.

Do the cars spin at certain spots too? If not, then it could be a newer upgrade of that ride.

I just remembered...it's called Crazy Mouse.. 
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness

Now that looks like it will collapse by the touch of a feather.

There's a ride that comes to our state fair similar to Mad Mouse, it might even be called that, but I know it was something Mouse.

Do the cars spin at certain spots too? If not, then it could be a newer upgrade of that ride.

I just remembered...it's called Crazy Mouse..
"Wild Mouse" is a type of coaster, and there have been gazillions of them. Most of them named some variant of Wild Mouse. My favorite is Wilde Maus, but I'll bet there's an El Ratón Loco out there somewhere, and that sounds even cooler.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild_mouse
E.F. Benson