Author Topic: The Astonishing live and lack of an encore...  (Read 14840 times)

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
Re: The Astonishing live and lack of an encore...
« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2016, 10:32:48 AM »
Trust me I won't ever boo Dream Theater, but I would love an extra song.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2016, 10:36:30 AM »
I understand what you are saying, Kowtow.  But the thing is, whether the customary encore process is silly/meaningless or not, it is so well-entrenched and common nowadays that it is just expected.  That expectation may not be justified.  But it is still the expectation of virtually everybody who attends a concert.  Not to say that what dreamtheater360 is suggesting is necessary.  It isn't.  But if it helps manage expectations, that might not be a bad thing.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2016, 10:45:49 AM »
It's also true that sometimes a band will not do the customary encore, and I've seen bands add a second one where there was usually none. True encores still exist.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online Mladen

« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2016, 10:47:04 AM »

But what does that achieve ? Other than the pretence of " Oh you want one more song ? Well ok then ! ;) "

Whether they walk off stage and come back on for the last song is irrelevant.
This is actually a very good point. Going off stage and then returning just to perform that one song everyone knows is missing isn't an encore - it's an illusion of an encore.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2016, 10:48:31 AM »

But what does that achieve ? Other than the pretence of " Oh you want one more song ? Well ok then ! ;) "

Whether they walk off stage and come back on for the last song is irrelevant.
This is actually a very good point. Going off stage and then returning just to perform that one song everyone knows is missing isn't an encore - it's an illusion of an encore.

Yes, but:

But the thing is, whether the customary encore process is silly/meaningless or not, it is so well-entrenched and common nowadays that it is just expected.  That expectation may not be justified.  But it is still the expectation of virtually everybody who attends a concert.  Not to say that what dreamtheater360 is suggesting is necessary.  It isn't.  But if it helps manage expectations, that might not be a bad thing.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2016, 10:49:53 AM »
Bottom line is a certain faction of the audience is going to be put off by this each and every night. Its up to Dream Theater to decide if its going to bother them enough to play something else.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2016, 10:51:39 AM »
^Yup, well said.  Whether we feel like people should be bothered by it is irrelevant to whether they actually do feel bothered by it.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2016, 10:51:42 AM »
Oh grow up.

I did. I have a full time job and pay taxes. I still want an encore.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2016, 10:55:54 AM »
Does Cats! have an encore ?

Does The Lion King have an encore ?

Does Les Miserables have an encore ?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2016, 10:57:12 AM »
^Yup, well said.  Whether we feel like people should be bothered by it is irrelevant to whether they actually do feel bothered by it.

They should read this thread. Play Our New World, leave the stage. Play Power Down over the PA and come back on for Astonishing.

Best of Both Worlds.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2016, 10:57:53 AM »

No.

No.

No.

Are either of those three rock bands putting on a concert?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #46 on: February 19, 2016, 10:59:05 AM »

They should read this thread. Play Our New World, leave the stage. Play Power Down over the PA and come back on for Astonishing.

Best of Both Worlds.
I'm really on the fence about what they "should" do.  I'm just saying that, for those who are bothered by the lack of encore, there is some validity to that feeling, and it shouldn't just be dismissed out of hand.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #47 on: February 19, 2016, 11:00:05 AM »

Best of Both Worlds.
I'm really on the fence about what they "should" do.  I'm just saying that, for those who are bothered by the lack of encore, there is some validity to that feeling, and it shouldn't just be dismissed out of hand.

They should play Metropolis, Change of Seasons, Finally Free, or Learning to Live and end the night on the highest note possible.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: February 19, 2016, 11:02:50 AM »

No.

No.

No.

They are 3 musicals as is The Astonishing Live.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #49 on: February 19, 2016, 11:04:31 AM »
The Astonishing is not a musical.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: February 19, 2016, 11:06:17 AM »
k

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #51 on: February 19, 2016, 11:07:08 AM »
Musical:
Noun.
"a play or movie in which singing and dancing play an essential part. Musicals developed from light opera in the early 20th century."

Cats!

Lion King

Les Miserables

The Astonishing

It's a rock concert.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #52 on: February 19, 2016, 11:08:24 AM »
If they wanted The Astonishing to be the only DT material, they could at least do a cover as an encore.
Lord, no, that's worse than no encore.

The Astonishing is not a musical.
This, it's a rock opera.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #53 on: February 19, 2016, 11:12:37 AM »

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: February 19, 2016, 11:14:00 AM »
Musical:
Noun.
"a play or movie in which singing and dancing play an essential part. Musicals developed from light opera in the early 20th century."

Cats!

Lion King

Les Miserables

The Astonishing

It's a rock concert.

Well played.  :hefdaddy

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #55 on: February 19, 2016, 11:35:00 AM »
I'd be happy with just The Astonishing. If they ever did an encore, Europtamania to give James a break would be nice. Then close with Behind the Veil or Bigger Picture..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #56 on: February 19, 2016, 11:37:26 AM »
I second the Operation Mindcrime example... they could have played an extra song or two, they decided they won't do, I'll accept that and move on.

A little problem is also given by the balance of the two discs - after playing nearly 90 minutes for the first act, playing 50 minutes for the second act feels a little short... a more balanced length could have made it easier to digest.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Clancy Wiggum

« Reply #57 on: February 19, 2016, 12:19:38 PM »
This has been blown out of proportion. The booing was lighthearted and meant as a joke.

I'm not sure to be honest. Some say it was and some say it wasn't. I was at the gig and was quite disappointed, but not to the point of booing.

As I wrote in my review of the show, it'll be interesting to see how this topic pans out over the rest of the tour. My guess would be that we’ll be hearing a lot more about this one and two possibilities are that the band either will play encores later on in the tour in response to fan pressure or will be reluctant to drop them for future tours.

Offline Clancy Wiggum

« Reply #58 on: February 19, 2016, 12:21:46 PM »
It's also true that sometimes a band will not do the customary encore, and I've seen bands add a second one where there was usually none. True encores still exist.

Yip. I even remember seeing Extreme in 2008 where they played Hole Hearted as an encore even though they'd already played it during the regular set. The crowd loved the gig and that song in particular so hearing it again was great.

Offline terrell39

« Reply #59 on: February 19, 2016, 12:26:03 PM »
I remember seeing an old interview with Genesis back when Peter Gabriel was their singer and back then, they did not do encores because to quote the band member "when a play is over, it's over".  At that time their shows were very theatrical and visual and had a lot of ad lib and stories told (made up) between songs.

So this is hardly the first time a progressive band has not done an encore.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #60 on: February 19, 2016, 12:28:57 PM »
Like I said before, I fully accept that they don't play an encore and I don't mind it. But looking at some yt-vids and reviews, this indeed is ultimately a rock show. One with amazing production values in special venues, but still a rock show.

I have seen The Who perform Quadrophenia in all it's glory, followed by an encore. I have also seen Ian Anderson perform Thick as a Brick 1 and 2, again followed by an encore. Of the two disc concept shows I attended, only the Theater Equation wasn't followed by an encore, but that show was like a musical/rock show hybrid (I liked that format a lot, actually). And in it's own way, the ending of that show did feel like an encore, followed by an extensive farewell. TA live, however, really isn't a musical or anything close to that. It is a metal act playing their latest rock opera back to back. So I really do understand the dissapointment of peope, especially since act 1 is much longer.

I have attended shows without an encore before so I know it happens, but I also experienced that awkward feeling of confusion afterwards.

Offline Clancy Wiggum

« Reply #61 on: February 19, 2016, 12:32:01 PM »

No.

No.

No.

Wasn't SFAM played all the way through and then followed by encores? That worked.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #62 on: February 19, 2016, 12:35:16 PM »

No.

No.

No.

Wasn't SFAM played all the way through and then followed by encores? That worked.

Of course it worked. It's not a musical.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: February 19, 2016, 12:35:21 PM »
Pink Floyd played The Wall in it's entirety without encore, but then again Pink Floyd - or rather Waters- always had a "no fucks given" policy regarding fan satisfaction, I respect that.
Green Day played a bunch of old songs after American Idiot after playing it in it's entirety but then again American Idiot is only one hour long.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #64 on: February 19, 2016, 12:37:53 PM »

Actually they played all of SFAM, then some more songs, and only then they left the stage and came back for a (medley) encore.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Clancy Wiggum

« Reply #65 on: February 19, 2016, 12:42:17 PM »

No.

No.

No.

Of course it worked. It's not a musical.

I'm not getting into the semantics of the word "musical" and how people interpret it. You view TA as one and therefore feel it doesn't need or should have an encore. That's totally fair enough. I view it as a concept album though and either way the no encore issue is gonna create problems for the band right through the rest of the tour.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #66 on: February 19, 2016, 12:45:06 PM »
Just to be clear, I do not consider The Astonishing to be a musical and I think it should have an encore.

Offline Clancy Wiggum

« Reply #67 on: February 19, 2016, 12:47:51 PM »

Actually they played all of SFAM, then some more songs, and only then they left the stage and came back for a (medley) encore.

OK, thanks for clearing this up. Either way my point was the extra songs, whether they were encores or more songs after SFAM, didn't take anything away from SFAM as a piece in itself and were what the audience wanted. Basically, the idea of "concept album + extras" worked.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 12:57:28 PM by Clancy Wiggum »

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #68 on: February 19, 2016, 12:52:20 PM »
Just to be clear, I do not consider The Astonishing to be a musical and I think it should have an encore.

I generally agree with this. But, it doesn't tick me off to the point in which I'd boo if I was there in person. I get what they are trying to do and respect it. I just happen to think they could easily come back out and play PMU and it certainly wouldn't ruin the show.

Offline Clancy Wiggum

« Reply #69 on: February 19, 2016, 12:54:34 PM »

I generally agree with this. But, it doesn't tick me off to the point in which I'd boo if I was there in person. I get what they are trying to do and respect it. I just happen to think they could easily come back out and play PMU and it certainly wouldn't ruin the show.

This is a fair summary of how I feel too.

Also, it would feel so wrong to boo a band that had just given me 2.5 hours (or whatever it is) of something as good as TA.