Author Topic: The Astonishing live and lack of an encore...  (Read 14919 times)

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
The Astonishing live and lack of an encore...
« on: February 19, 2016, 08:07:39 AM »
I know its only one show but it seemed from what little I have heard the audience was none too pleased with the lack of an encore. Now us geeks here know the deal but I'm fairly sure the average fan probably does not. So from what I hear their was some scattered booing when the house lights went on last night.
This is meant to be an epic stand alone performance of the complete album. The band has tried hard to make that known to the fan base. I don't have a problem with that even though I'm greedy and would love a bonus track.
My question is this...
If this seems to start happening after every performance (not saying it will) would it prompt the band to rethink not doing an encore?

If an encore is the difference between the audience leaving with a euphoric feeling or leaving a bit disgruntled would they feel pressure to play an extra song? Or will they stay the coarse and keep to what they said they would going into the tour?
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: The Astonishing live and lack of an encore...
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2016, 08:08:44 AM »
I would hope they stick to their guns.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline genome

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2016, 08:17:01 AM »
This has been blown out of proportion. The booing was lighthearted and meant as a joke.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2016, 08:22:44 AM »
This has been blown out of proportion. The booing was lighthearted and meant as a joke.
Glad to hear that!

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2016, 08:23:48 AM »
If that's the way they want to do it then so be it. Personally, I disagree with them. I don't think an encore detracts from what you dust did. I saw QR do the O:M thing and follow it up with two songs, and it was still an O:M show. I saw Waters do The Wall (twice) and felt that the whole experience was a bit short. In this case, the second act isn't all that long, and my preference would be to get a song or two after.

Goodnight Springton, there will be no encore.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline 7deg_inner_happiness

• Can't get enough music!
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2016, 08:25:28 AM »

How does one boo light-heartedly and jokingly?
- Ronzoni -

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2016, 08:29:30 AM »

Interesting thought.

Offline Jinx

• The Unicyclist's #1 fan!
  • Shaaaamaan take my haaaannd!!
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2016, 08:33:10 AM »
All they need to do is make huge banners with NO ENCORE. But I'm still sticking to the idea that Astonishing IS the encore.

Also I know they've been using the flashing lights for years but the ones they're using this time are eye level and during a few of the songs there was sustained repeated flashes which I had to look away from. Reckon they would do good to put a warning for those flashes (sorry to be over dramatic!)

Offline genome

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2016, 08:35:55 AM »

It's easy when you're British  :lol

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2016, 08:42:37 AM »
I only heard a couple of boos, and they were half hearted and pantomime-esque

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2016, 08:46:43 AM »

In the states the booing(assuming there is any) will be much less lighthearted.

Question:  Are the normal DT evening with shows 2.5 hours long with break?
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2016, 08:53:02 AM »

Goodnight Springton, there will be no encore.

:clap:

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2016, 09:04:15 AM »
I get what DT is trying to do, but I think the lack of an encore is lame. We're sitting through 2+ hours of the same album. Having a single throwback song after completing The Astonishing would be awesome.

Offline Jinx

• The Unicyclist's #1 fan!
  • Shaaaamaan take my haaaannd!!
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2016, 09:09:56 AM »
Astonishing is the encore. I can't emphasise this enough

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2016, 09:10:32 AM »

Exactly what I was going to say. :lol

And I've said this before, but the final song (the title track) is basically an encore anyway. This was very clearly advertised as DT presents The Astonishing. There is no reason whatsoever to play any other song.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2016, 09:13:10 AM »

Well, no, it isn't.  It is clearly the final song in an actual set, and there is no encore.  You may subjectively choose to view it as if it were an encore since it shares some of the emotional sense of closure and "epilogue."  But it isn't a true encore in any sense.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2016, 09:19:49 AM »

No it's not. That'd be like saying Losing Time Grand Finale would have been an encore for 6DOIT.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2016, 09:29:29 AM »
What do they want? A song from outside the album encore is what they mean? Doesn't it say in English "Dream Theater Present The Astonishing Live" on the signs outside?
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2016, 09:32:05 AM »
Astonishing is the encore. I can't emphasize this enough

Did DT leave the stage and do the whole pretend that we're done, only to come back out and play  Astonishing after Our New World/Power Down? 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2016, 09:37:46 AM »
What do they want? A song from outside the album encore is what they mean? Doesn't it say in English "Dream Theater Present The Astonishing Live" on the signs outside?

Yes, it does say that.  But in defense of those who may not be "in the know," "Dream Theater Present The Astonishing Live" may not suggest to the average fan that the concert is "Dream Theater Present The Astonishing Live, and nothing else, and, yes, that means no Pull Me Under or anything else as an encore.  It is just The Astonishing, the whole Astonishing, and nothing but The Astonishing."  Given what has become near universal custom and practice not only for DT, but for the music industry as a whole, no matter the genre, I concert almost always includes an encore.  It is expected.  So I imagine that there are quite a good many fans who do not pay close attention to social media who think "Dream Theater Present The Astonishing Live" implies "Dream Theater Present The Astonishing Live, with another song or two to follow as the customary and expected encore." 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2016, 09:41:51 AM »

Did DT leave the stage and do the whole pretend that we're done, only to come back out and play  Astonishing after Our New World/Power Down? 

An encore doesn't require any of that.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2016, 09:46:35 AM »
"Dream Theater Present The Astonishing Live, and nothing else, and, yes, that means no Pull Me Under or anything else as an encore.  It is just The Astonishing, the whole Astonishing, and nothing but The Astonishing."

I'd love to see that sign :lol
And add "so help me God" at the end heh
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2016, 09:50:31 AM »

Yeah, it pretty much does.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2016, 09:51:54 AM »

Yeah, it pretty much does.
It's the convention in the rock/metal world, but it's not required. And certainly with, for example, classical concerts and to some extent musical theatre, it's often not the case.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2016, 09:54:51 AM »
"This ain't Score
"No encore
"Moment of Betrayal"

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2016, 09:54:52 AM »
If they wanted The Astonishing to be the only DT material, they could at least do a cover as an encore. Meatloaf played Black Betty as his encore the last time I saw him.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2016, 10:00:01 AM »
The only artist I know who doesn't do an encore is Stevie Wonder. They are not going to walk a blind man off and then back onto a stage.

While Dream Theater said what the deal is, I still think if they feel a negative vibe every night that could be subject to change. They don't want scattered boos every night do they?

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2016, 10:03:40 AM »
I saw them walk an 87 year old Dave Brubeck off the stage and then back on 3 times! Finally his own band revolted and called it a night.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2016, 10:04:51 AM »
The only artist I know who doesn't do an encore is Stevie Wonder. They are not going to walk a blind man off and then back onto a stage.

While Dream Theater said what the deal is, I still think if they feel a negative vibe every night that could be subject to change. They don't want scattered boos every night do they?

I agree with you that it's within the realm of possibility for the band members to reconsider the "no encore on this tour" stance if they get negative vibes. To me, it would be similar to any other facet of the show that could be analyzed. Perhaps on a tour a certain song constantly gets no reaction from the crowd; maybe it gets pulled from future sets. Perhaps a one-off song gets a great reaction; maybe it gets put in the regular set. Perhaps people look visibly upset about the lack of encore; maybe they decide to add one.

People just don't have the time for encores anymore. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2016, 10:07:01 AM »

I agree with you that it's within the realm of possibility for the band members to reconsider the "no encore on this tour" stance if they get negative vibes. To me, it would be similar to any other facet of the show that could be analyzed. Perhaps on a tour a certain song constantly gets no reaction from the crowd; maybe it gets pulled from future sets. Perhaps a one-off song gets a great reaction; maybe it gets put in the regular set. Perhaps people look visibly upset about the lack of encore; maybe they decide to add one.

I was thinking along similar lines, but you articulated it as well or better than I would have.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2016, 10:08:09 AM »
An Encore is a sham. The " encore " is written on the setlist. No gig has an "encore" . It's all a charade.

The Astonishing live is well over 2 hours of music.

BOO HOO there's no "encore"

Oh grow up.

Offline nattmorker

« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2016, 10:09:54 AM »

People just don't have the time for encores anymore.

If they'd decide to add one song for the encore I guess It'd have to be one the most recent played songs so they wouldn't need too much time to prepare it and rehearse it.

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2016, 10:13:48 AM »
I saw them walk an 87 year old Dave Brubeck off the stage and then back on 3 times! Finally his own band revolted and called it a night.

That sounds amazing!
The Cure also go back for many encores. For instance, at their last show they played 23 songs, and then 4 different encores with 4 songs each.  :o

Offline dreamtheater360

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2016, 10:15:23 AM »
Bosk I agree with you as to it being a music industry standard practice to have an encore. I'm sure the average person going to see The Astonishing Live goes into it not knowing that it is only The Astonishing and nothing else. I'm personally fine with it myself, but I wonder if it wouldn't be a better idea to make Astonishing into an actual encore. They should play Our New World as the finale of the regular 2nd set, go off stage, play the NOMAC track Power Down, and come back on stage and perform Astonishing.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2016, 10:30:43 AM »
Bosk I agree with you as to it being a music industry standard practice to have an encore. I'm sure the average person going to see The Astonishing Live goes into it not knowing that it is only The Astonishing and nothing else. I'm personally fine with it myself, but I wonder if it wouldn't be a better idea to make Astonishing into an actual encore. They should play Our New World as the finale of the regular 2nd set, go off stage, play the NOMAC track Power Down, and come back on stage and perform Astonishing.

But what does that achieve ? Other than the pretence of " Oh you want one more song ? Well ok then ! ;) "

Whether they walk off stage and come back on for the last song is irrelevant.