Author Topic: Tomislav's Top 50 Albums - #1: We'll meet again my friend, someday soon.  (Read 23834 times)

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
i really like the title track but when i listened to the album most of the other tracks didn't do much for me
This. I'll have to revisit it some day.

Offline 7deg_inner_happiness

• Can't get enough music!
Brothers in Arms is one of 'those' songs that always causes me to stop whatever I'm doing at the time, listen intently and immerse myself in the profound music and message conveyed.  In other words, I really like the song.   :hefdaddy
- Ronzoni -

Offline Tomislav95

Tomislav's Top 50 Albums - #46-44: Sing to me, raven...
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2016, 02:03:38 PM »
Guys, thank you for following this thread :)
Let's continue:

#46: Stoned Jesus - Seven Thunders Roar(2012)

Stoner/Doom Metal

This is probably the least known band on my list (never saw anyone here talking about them). They are stoner/doom metal band from Ukraine but I always felt that's lousy name for subgenre. I heard others comparing them (and I agree) to Black Sabbath. And they really sounds like modern Master of Reality era Black Sabbath (and that's always good thing). However, they don't rip Black Sabbath off despite similar style. Singer remind me of Ozzy but he is IMO better in term of dynamics. Although he doesn't have huge vocal range he can sound really emotional and, in heavier parts, gritty. It can be heard right on the start of the album with great opener Bright like Morning. Instrumentals are also well executed and I can't tell that for some other bands in genre which tend to sound sloppy. But these guys are tight. For over 9 minutes of headbangable music check Electric Mistress. Such a cool track and it feels at least 2 times shorter. But for me, centerpiece of Seven Thunders Roar is 16 minutes epic I'm the Mountain. From acoustic intro to heavy riffs to solos everything is perfect. Last song on the album is the song that got me into these guys. It's heavily Black Sabbath influenced Stormy Monday(intro reminds me of riff from Hand of Doom). If you like classic Black Sabbath definitely check this album.
Recommended songs: I'm the Mountain(for adventurers :lol), Stormy Monday

#45: Steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused to Sing(And Other Stories)(2013)

Progressive Rock

This album is well known here on DTF. From the moment it was released it became among some people's favorites. I'm with them and I think this is Steven's best solo album to date. It sounds like something coming straight from '70s and, in my opinion, if it was released back then it would still be among best progressive albums of the decade. Sonically, this album is something. I'm not audiophile but even I can hear how great this sounds. Right from intro bass riff in Luminol I was hooked. Another awesome thing on this album are melodies. I love good melody and that's probably the thing you'll read hundred times in these write-ups. Steven have talent to blend melancholy and every thing he do and he never make it dull or boring. Drive Home is one of those songs as well as title track. Usually, I don't like chaotic instrumentals in prog(or in music in general) but there are few in Holy Drinker and Pin Drop which remind of jazz fusion. Also, if you don't know it, there are some awesome musicians on this album: Guthrie Govan, Marco Minnemann, Adam Holzman, Nick Beggs and others. I really don't know what else to say other than: go check it out.
Recommended songs: Drive Home, Luminol

#44: Camel - Mirage(1974)

Progressive rock

Camel is classic progressive rock band which started in early '70s and this is in my opinion their best album. It has everything that's needed for such record: organ, moog, long and melodic solos, fantasy lyrics, orchestration. What I like very is use of flute on this. It adds something special to the album, especially on my favorite, Nimrodel/The Procession/The White Rider, over 9 minutes long piece. That track contains one of the best instrumental sections I ever heard. Short guitar melody makes me want to pick up guitar and play this tune(if I actually had skill to play something like it :P ). Vocals through the albums are also good, definitely better than many I heard from '70s prog bands. Test for you: if start of Lady Fantasy doesn't make playing all air instruments you're not prog fan :lol After heavy intro nice guitar melody kicks and that's what this album is about: great melodies. If you consider yourself progressive rock fan (even if you don't like '70s prog) you should check this. I never really hear anyone talking how influential Camel are(other than Mikael Akerfeld, he said some Opeth tunes are Camel rip-offs :P) but they surely are. As I said, this album is what progressive rock is about.
Recommended songs: Nimrodel/The Procession/The White Rider, Lady Fantasy
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Tomislav's Top 50 Albums - #46-44: Sing to me, raven...
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2016, 02:08:45 PM »
While Steven got a lot of excellent albums released over the years, I think he's yet to top Raven. Absolutely stunning album and in my opinion his best so far. Fantastic choice.

When Steven played the title track live as the final encore song a few days ago in Moscow, well, I did shed a few tears alright. I couldn't help it.

Not familiar with the other two.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2016, 02:15:30 PM »
Lady Fantasy is a really neat song. I didn't care so much for the album overall though.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2016, 02:16:31 PM »
The only one of these three I've heard songs off is the Stoned Jesus album, not a fan of the vocals sadly, but some of the instrumentals on Electric Mistress and I'm the Mountain are groovy as fuck, that's the stuff I really like about stoner metal.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2016, 03:17:10 PM »
The only one of these three I've heard songs off is the Stoned Jesus album, not a fan of the vocals sadly, but some of the instrumentals on Electric Mistress and I'm the Mountain are groovy as fuck, that's the stuff I really like about stoner metal.
I hope you end up checking Welcome to Sky Valley, it has excellent grooves and  :metal

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2016, 03:19:32 PM »
I hope you end up checking Welcome to Sky Valley, it has excellent grooves and  :metal
Will probably do so pretty soon, starting to move up on the list, I've already listened to a lot of roulette albums but kinda stopped commenting after every single listen. I might do a recap when I've listened to everything I intended to. Hey, maybe I'll even like The Demon Cleaner this time around  :lol
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2016, 03:22:10 PM »
It's a pretty good song, but I feel it sounds better in the context of the album. Just picture yourself in the desert while jamming the record and let the  :metal flow through you.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2016, 03:27:28 PM »
I'm all in that kind of music now, I have to check Kyuss again. I listened to some song on YouTube few months ago but didn't like it very much.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: February 21, 2016, 03:35:21 PM »
Yeah first time I listened to the band I wasn't into this kind of music, but somehow I got into it and that album is definitely  :metal

Offline Tomislav95

Tomislav's Top 50 Albums - #43-41: And the big wheel keep on turning...
« Reply #46 on: February 22, 2016, 10:09:17 AM »
#43: Tool - 10,000 Days(2006)

Progressive/Alternative metal

I have to admit I'm not listening to Tool too often anymore by they will always have a special place in my heart because they were one of my favorite bands in first two years of high school and one of the bands that got me into metal. Me and my friend often listened to songs off this album during breaks between classes. Tool isn't very diverse but this album is definitely on average more diverse than others. There are songs with heavy riffs like Vicarious and Jambi as well as calmer pieces like Wings for Marie and Right in Two. Maynard James Keenan sounds awesome here. Soothing in one moment, angry and gritty in other. But what I like the most album this album is guitarwork. It's full of great riffs and more atmospheric feedback driven parts. I think Adam Jones is very underrated player. He is not so fast and there are only few guitar solos of his but he knows how to craft good sounding guitar parts. For me, center piece of album is self titled song and first part of it(Wings for Marie pt.1). It's atmospheric, progressive and it have the best Maynard's performances on this album. I heard he wrote it for his late mother but I'm not 100% sure. Another cool songs are The Pot(those bass and guitar riffs) and Rosetta Stoned.
Recommended songs: 10,000 Days, The Pot, Jambi

#42: Dire Straits - Making Movies(1980)

Classic rock

Some may say it's odd choice but this is my favorite album by Dire Straits. This is the first where they incorporated keyboards in their sound but luckily they didn't use it too much. The Album starts with wonderful Tunnel of Love. After short keyboard intro guitar kicks in and I'm immediately sold. Mark Knopfler's tone is perfect once again and fills are interesting as always. There is also great instrumental section where whole band shows how good musicians they are. Second song is probably the most popular one on this album: Romeo and Juliet. Great ballad. It's interesting resonator guitar from Brothers in Arms artwork is actually used in this song and not on actual Brothers in Arms album (as far as I know). Expresso Love is another classic Dire Straits song with one of my favorite intro riffs. Others are probably atypical for Dire Straits and usually too happy sounding for me to like :lol But this is Dire Straits and I like even their “poppier” songs like Skateaway and Les Boys(this is very weird song for band like Dire Straits but it's cool to hear something different). Also, song Solid Rock is a solid rocker (huehue).
If you like catchy tunes, great guitar and some piano give Making movies a chance.
Recommended songs: Tunnel of Love, Skateaway, Expresso Love

#41: Wishbone Ash - Argus(1972)

Progressive rock

This is the newest addition to my list. It's not that I didn't hear this album before but I forgot about it  for about two years and recently rediscovered it. I don't know why these guys are not better known because this is top notch album. Every guitar player should look up to Andy Powell and Ted Turner. Their playing is what makes this album one of my favorites. But bass, drums and vocals shouldn't be overlooked either. Even though this is progressive album, I find it easy to listen, it's never tiring or boring. One of my favorite songs is Sometime World which starts as ballad and progress into guitar driven piece with long guitar solo. Leaf and Stream is, however, pretty simple ballad in which great vocal of Martin Turner is in foreground. It's not too similar but reminds me of King Crimson's. Album continues with hard rock song Warrior. Again, some great guitar melodies and solos/fills. Actually, all songs are great.
I don't know what else to add. It's mystery to me why this album is not more praised, it could easily be even higher on my list.
Recommended songs: Sometimes World, Blowin' Free, Warrior

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: Tomislav's Top 50 Albums - #43-41: And the big wheel keep on turning...
« Reply #47 on: February 22, 2016, 10:37:40 AM »
Argus :tup :heart
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Mladen

« Reply #48 on: February 22, 2016, 03:20:05 PM »
You can't go wrong with Mirage (also featured in my top 50) and The Raven. Another solid Dire Straits choice in there as well.  :tup

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: February 22, 2016, 03:24:51 PM »
I never got into Tool, but haven't tried this album, so maybe one day I'll give them another chance  :corn

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #50 on: February 22, 2016, 03:29:25 PM »
I never got into Tool, but haven't tried this album, so maybe one day I'll give them another chance  :corn
It's their latest :neverusethis: actually, I think it's a good starting point

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #51 on: February 22, 2016, 03:50:17 PM »
It's their latest :neverusethis:
lol.

As an album, it's ok. Don't have much else to say about it.

I still need to check out Wishbone Ash.

Offline 7deg_inner_happiness

• Can't get enough music!
« Reply #52 on: February 22, 2016, 04:33:22 PM »
Steven Wilson and Dire Straits are both solid selections in my book!   :tup
- Ronzoni -

Offline Tomislav95

Tomislav's Top 50 Albums - #40-38: Fate is Your Deciding God
« Reply #53 on: February 23, 2016, 12:20:16 PM »
#40: Tool - Ænima(1996)

Progressive/Alternative metal

Another album by Tool on this list. As overall, this album is more aggressive and (I would say) less polished and that's what I love Tool for. Pure emotions in form of heavy riffs and aggressive vocals. In write-up for 10,000 Days I wrote it was one of my favorites during high school. Well, I didn't like this one album so much but it grew on me few years later. Song H. became one of my favorites. Perfect blend of atmosphere and aggressiveness. Song 46 & 2 is one of the most popular on this album and it's favorite of many people for good reason.  It showcases skills of all members: dynamic in drumming, some great bass and guitar riff and Maynard's vocal range. Song with the most interesting name is definitely Hooker with a penis :lol But don't let title discourage you. If you like alternative metal it's definitely for you. There are also two songs dedicated to the late Bill Hicks(comedian) who influenced guys from Tool. Those two songs are Aenema and Third Eye. I must say Third Eye is probably my favorite Tool song but it took some time to grow on me since it's almost 14 minutes long with some noises, samples and bunch of other weird stuff. I think this album is must have for all metal fans.
Recommended songs: 46 & 2, Aenema, H.

#39: Death - Symbolic(1995)

Progressive death metal

This album is lot different than anything on my list so far. It's death metal but if you ignore growls it's actually really heavy progressive metal. But why would someone ignore those awesome growls? Vocalist, guitarist and main songwriter of Death was Chuck Schuldiner, and despite his demonic vocals, many say he was the sweetest person ever. Let's move on with actual album. This was another album me and my friend listened all the time in the high school. It took me some tome to get used to growls but after I did I loved every second of it. This album also got me into death metal and while I'm not big fan of it anymore I still love Death. Lyrics on this album are philosophical and intriguing, surely better than on big majority of death metal albums. Instrumentals are perfectly crafted and whole band is spot on, tight and production is great as well. It's not surprise with names like Gene Hoglan and Kelly Conlon. Big part of Symbolic are melodic guitar parts like ones in Empty Words, Secred Serenity, Crystal Mountain and others. One of the song that I just recently discovered after few years listening to it just in context of an album, is Without Judgement. It's perfect fusion of best drum and bass parts I ever heard with some progressive parts and melodic solo. But the song that got me into Death is Crystal mountain. Really, without growls it would sound just like thrashy progressive metal, something I liked back then I something I like now.
I think even people who are not fans of death metal should give this one a few spins.
Recommended songs: Crystal Mountain, Zero Tolerance, Without Judgement

#38: Mastodon - Once More 'round the Sun(2014)

Progressive metal

Mastodon is pretty popular here but I'm not sure if this album was on someone's list since it's release. It's in my opinion the best album of 2014 and one of the best of this decade so far. Opener to this album progressive metal piece Tread Lightly. And it's one of the best album openers I heard. Also, they started the show last year with this song and it worked very well. Intro riff really got everyone pumped and whole song is very energetic, just like an opener should me. Many people can't get into vocals in Mastodon and I can't blame them but I think they really improved in that field on Once More 'round the Sun. Especially bass player Troy Sanders who sound like powerhouse on this album (and he was great live). Song which made me hyped for this album even before release(there were snippets in making of videos guys from Mastodon put on Youtube few months before release of the album) was The Motherload. It's got catchy chorus, heavy riffs and great melodic solo. However, right now my favorite song off this album is Chimes at Midnight. Atmospheric intro is different than anything they've ever done and riffs as sludgy as ever. I think if you like melodic and progressive but sludgy metal, you'll also like Halloween and Ember City.
Recommended songs: Tread Lightly, The Motherload, Halloween

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
Re: Tomislav's Top 50 Albums - #40-38: Fate is Your Deciding God...
« Reply #54 on: February 23, 2016, 01:21:13 PM »
For 2 outta 3 bands of this update, I'm not a huge fan of theirs but they each have one album I enjoy thoroughly, Mastodon - Crack the Skye is wonderful and Tool - Lateralus to a lesser extent, I enjoy it but not enough to consider it for a top 50.

Refusing to go into the death metal stuff at this point  :laugh: maybe some day.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: Tomislav's Top 50 Albums - #40-38: Fate is Your Deciding God...
« Reply #55 on: February 23, 2016, 01:27:40 PM »
Nice update again :)
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Re: Tomislav's Top 50 Albums - #40-38: Fate is Your Deciding God
« Reply #56 on: February 23, 2016, 01:39:02 PM »

Progressive death metal

I LOVE Death, this is up there as one of my favourites by them but The Sound of Perseverance is even better in my opinion. Definitely the benchmark for all technical/progressive death metal that followed it. Chuck was a taken well before his time. Would love to imagine what sort oof music he would be making were he still with us  :hefdaddy

Offline Tomislav95

Re: Tomislav's Top 50 Albums - #40-38: Fate is Your Deciding God
« Reply #57 on: February 23, 2016, 01:51:31 PM »

Progressive death metal

I LOVE Death, this is up there as one of my favourites by them but The Sound of Perseverance is even better in my opinion. Definitely the benchmark for all technical/progressive death metal that followed it. Chuck was a taken well before his time. Would love to imagine what sort oof music he would be making were he still with us  :hefdaddy
TSOP is great as well but it unfortunately didn't make it to the list.
Yes, it's really sad Chuck had to go so young :( he influenced many metal bands.

Offline Tomislav95

Tomislav's Top 50 Albums - #37-35: ...such a heavenly way to die...
« Reply #58 on: February 24, 2016, 03:09:12 PM »
#37: Porcupine Tree - Stupid Dream(1999)

Progressive/Alternative rock

This is the album which I neglected for too long. I loved their newer albums but when I read this one is more like alternative rock than those albums I assumed I won't like it. And of course, I was wrong. It is certainly different than their other albums but I loved it then and I love it now. This is one of those albums where lyrics sound so sincere and emotional, I felt like Steven Wilson invited us  to his mind and his memories(even though I don't know if lyrics have base in Steven's life). And I love those personal sounding lyrics, especially in this kind of music. I think this album has „indie“ or singer-songwriter feel to it and recently I started to dig that music so this album climbed few spots, too. I have to admit I don't listen to Stupid Dream that often but when I do I love everything on it. Highlights of the album for me are guitar solo in This is no Rehearsal, heavy „breakdown“ in Even Less, chorus in Baby Dream in Cellophane and whole song A Smart Kid which is one of my favorite songs ever. Also, Stop Swimming is one of those depressive-beautiful songs I love.
Recommended songs: A Smart Kid, Piano Lessons, This is no Rehearsal

#36: Rush - A Farewell to Kings(1977)

Progressive rock

If you played me any song from this album I probably wouldn't be sure what's name of that particular song. Then why is this album in my Top 50? It's because every time I spin it I'm kicking myself for not listening to it every day (better not, I'd probably hate it after a while :P ). Really, every time a hear it I can't stop playing air-drums/bass/guitar. These guys are perfect as ever. It's full of great song but IMO it works best as a whole album. I can't remember anything from this album I don't like. It has catchy tunes like A Farewell to Kings and Closer to the Heart as well as two epics Xanadu and Cygnus X-1. There is also one overlooked ballad I like very much and can't ever get bored of it: Madrigal. I can't remember what exactly I was thinking on first listen when I was discovering Rush discography but I know I liked it. Again, I should spin it more often, it's epic piece of music.
Recommended songs: A Farewell to Kings, Xanadu, Closer to the Heart

#35: The Smiths - The Queen is Dead(1986)

New Wave

Queen is Dead is on of my, as I call it, big four discoveries of last year(other three will also be on this list). This is something you probably wouldn't  expect to be here if you follow this list. But there is something in The Smiths and especially in this album. I can't really explain it but it give me chills from start to finish. Also, sound of this album is stellar. It sounds really busy but every instrument is loud and audible. I discovered The Smiths with two movies from this decade: The Perks of being Wallflower and (500)days of Summer. I'm not fan of romantic comedies but those two are more bittersweet than really comedies. And that's what those two movies have in common with The Smiths. This whole album mostly upbeat but if you listen to lyrics you'll hear quite unusual, dark, kind of fatal love verses. Check this:

And if a double-decker bus
Crashes into us
To die by your side
Is such a heavenly way to die

Isn't it beautiful :lol It's from chorus of There is a Light That Never Goes Out, the song I got sick of listening to too much. Once, when I came to my dorm room, I sat on my bed and listened to that song on a loop for about an hour. I don't know why I did that, don't repeat my mistake :P But check this even if you usually don't enjoy this kind of music.
Recommended songs: There is a Light That Never Goes Out, I Know it's Over, Bigmouth Strikes Again

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Tomislav's Top 50 Albums - #37-35: ...such a heavenly way to die...
« Reply #59 on: February 24, 2016, 09:58:38 PM »
Symbolic  :metal
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: February 24, 2016, 10:48:28 PM »
Stupid Dream  :metal

Offline Mladen

« Reply #61 on: February 25, 2016, 04:07:25 AM »
Mastodon, Porcupine Three and Rush - amazing choices. Not one of my favorite Rush albums, though.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #62 on: February 25, 2016, 05:34:32 AM »
Mastodon, Porcupine Three and Rush - amazing choices. Not one of my favorite Rush albums, though.
Spoiler alert: there is more Rush to come :tup

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
Re: too subtle?
« Reply #63 on: February 25, 2016, 07:54:07 AM »
Oh hey, thumbs up for The Smiths. Don't really know those other bands.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #64 on: February 25, 2016, 10:56:15 AM »
Symbolic is amazing. :tup Their whole discography is great, but Symbolic is definitely one of my favorite death metal records.

Farewell to Kings is one of my favorite Rush albums for sure. Cygnus X-1 never fails to blow me away.

Offline Tomislav95

Tomislav's Top 50 Albums - #34-33: Raise me up, don't let me fall!
« Reply #65 on: February 25, 2016, 01:49:04 PM »
#34: Rainbow - Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow(1975)/Rising(1976)

Hard rock

I really can't believe these two albums were released just two year apart, made by the same band. Actually, just two key members are on both albums, Ritchie Blackmore and Ronnie James Dio. Debut is more classic rock sounding and Rising is progressive and hard with some longer songs. I'll go that far and say those two albums were the biggest influence on power metal. You have fantasy lyrics, singer with pretty high-pitched vocals, neoclassical style in soloing, heavy usage of keyboard(on Rising). Blackmore's playing is one of top reasons I love these two albums so much but of course there is also Ronnie James Dio. Everyone knows that man could sing and he is arguably one of the best vocalists in heavy metal. I remember, when I was getting into heavier music, I listened to some of songs off these albums all the time and while they are easy to listen, there is also something causal listener can't get(especially when listening long solos on Rising). Big classics, essentials for all those who like heavy, power, progressive or just plain plain classic rock.
Recommended songs: Stargazer, Run with the Wolf, Catch the Rainbow, Temple of the King

#33: Riverside - Out of Myself(2004)

Progressive rock

If you followed forum last few days you probably know Riverside's guitarist Piotr Grudziński passed away this week. He was big part of the band and his playing really made Riverside special. May he rest in peace. I know listening to this album from now on will be bittersweet experience, knowing we won't hear from him anymore. But he left such a legacy. Other guys are also perfect on this one, and thing I love about Riverside is how audible bass is. It adds a new layer to music and lyrics that often tend to sound quite melancholic. If you saw my other updates you know I like that type of music. I read somewhere this album is considered being similar to Dream Theater. And I can't disagree more. Riverside is progressive band but they are other dimension and I can't see many similarities. Riverside is not the most depressing band I know but some of those lyrics really get me, especially Loose Heart and Out of Myself. One of the things that get me every time is build at the end of Loose Heart and Mariusz's shouting: „Raise me up, don't let me fall“! Out of Myself is surely one of the most beautiful albums I ever heard. Dark and beautiful.
Recommended songs: Loose Heart, Out of Myself, The Same River

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Tomislav's Top 50 Albums - #34-33: Raise me up, don't let me fall!
« Reply #66 on: February 25, 2016, 01:54:44 PM »
Hell to the yeah. Great albums, all three.

Rising is in my Top 5 albums of all time. Perfect album.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #67 on: February 25, 2016, 02:50:56 PM »
Rising is brilliant.  :metal

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: February 25, 2016, 03:46:09 PM »
Out of Myself is a pretty great album, one that I should revisit soon - may Piotr rest in peace.

Offline Tomislav95

Tomislav's Top 50 Albums - #32-30: won't you take my hand for just one day?
« Reply #69 on: February 26, 2016, 11:03:10 AM »
#32: King Crimson - Red(1974)

Progressive rock

This is the band I don't fully get. I like some and can't even finish some other albums. Of course, Red is one of those I like and I think it is, for the most part, pretty easy to listen to. Riffs are cool and have something metal-ish in them to the point if guitar was more distorted it would sound very heavy. And it is heavy for it's time. I can't believe this was made in 1974 because it sounds modern. I usually hate to say this but guys from King Crimson were ahead of their time. As I already said, I don't like all of their albums nor I heard them all but this is my favorite line-up of King Crimson: great Bill Bruford on drums, Robert Fripp on guitar and John Wetton on bass and vocals. There are also many others on some more classical instruments(sax, violin, oboe). I have to say John Wetton is to me one of the most pleasurable singers to listen to and checked his band Asia after hearing this album just to hear more of him. There is one minor complaint on this album: Providence is too long. I guess it works in context of an album and it reminds of some great jazz improvisations but it could kill flow between One More Nightmare and Starless for some. However, I appreciate it for what it is. Also, I used to dislike instrumental part of Starless and thought it ruins Wetton's emotional performance in first part of the song. But, now I like it, especially when it gets to the theme reprise on sax and sax solo.
Recommended songs: Starless, Fallen Angel(not on Youtube due to Fripp being asshole)

#31: Redemption - Snowfall on Judgement Day(2009)

Progressive metal

When I was making draft for this list, Snowfall on Judgement Day wasn't even on the list, let alone so high. It was just I forgot how great it is and I'll say it's one of best recommendations Last.fm gave me. Before I heard Redemption, I was familiar with Ray Adler, who is also singing in Fates Warning. Maybe in early Fates he had bigger range but his expressive delivery on this album made me like his vocals. Redemption's music is pretty similar to DT's which was the only progressive band I listened to back then when I discovered Redemption. And when I say they sound similar to DT I don't mean they're copycats nor they are ripping DT off(I saw both variants on The Wastelands of Internet). There was never one riff, solo or melody on this album that made me think that but still they are similar in style. Melodies are big part of this album and You know I'm sucker for good melodies, not just vocal but also guitar melodies. Nick van Dyk is mastermind behind guitar and main songwriter of the band. I really like the way he crafts his solos. They are technical but melodic and not all over the place. Keyboard solos are pretty good, too, it's obvious from songs like Walls or Love Kills Us All / Life in One Day every one of them is master of their instrument. I think it's good sign when it's easy to listen to whole album in one sitting even though it's 70-minutes long (at least that's case with me ;) ).
Recommended songs: Black and White World, Walls, Leviathan Rising

#30: Dream Theater - Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence(2002)

Progressive metal

I think everyone knows this one :lol I won't write too much, just to say what I like about it. Six Degrees had a difficult task since it was first album after album most of the fans loved. And if you ask me, it fullfiled that task. I like the fact DT didn't try to do something similar after Metropolis part 2 but they did really unique album. It ranges from thrashy, the heaviest song they ever did(The Glass Prison), over strange(Misunderstood) and mellow(Disappear) to over 40-minutes masterpiece suite. I have to admit I wasn't always too fond of CD2 but it grew on me, especially after hearing version with orchestra on Score DVD.
Favorites: Blind Faith, Misunderstood, Disappear