Author Topic: Tomislav's Top 50 Albums - #1: We'll meet again my friend, someday soon.  (Read 23833 times)

Offline Tomislav95

Is Ghost Reveries really Opeth's fan favourite?
I think Blackwater Park is their most popular but also I don't think I've ever seen someone not liking Ghost Reveries.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Probably me, but that's because I never payed much attention :corn

Offline Tomislav95

Tomislav's Top 50 Albums - #14-13: distant lights still burn bright...
« Reply #177 on: March 05, 2016, 12:22:57 PM »
#14: Fates Warning - Parallels(1991)

Progressive metal

After I started listening to Dream Theater I was looking all over the Internet for similar bands. And as you assume, one of those bands was Fates Warning. Their most popular is Parallels so I decided to check it... and unfortunately, it didn't do it for me. There were some songs I likes(Eye to Eye, Point of View). After some time I decided to revisit it and I liked it more and more. I don't know when but this album clicked with me. It is proggy but not wanky or complicated, relatively easy listen in progressive genre. Singer Ray Adler's voice is probably the thing that grew on me the most. I didn't like it before for some reason and now I love it. He is now one of my favorite singers. Other thing I really love on this album are drums. Mark Zonder's playing is to me really tasty, I love hearing some songs just for drums(check Life in Still Water). I was fortunate enough to  see Fates Warning one and a half year ago in small club in my country. Atmosphere was great, members of band were in the audience before their show. I saw Bobby Jarzombek, their new drummer and I was so unprepared for that I couldn't even say hi but just nodded and he smiled back. I'm off topic, what I wanted to say is they played 5 songs off Parallels. I'm glad I went(decided to go just day before, had to go alone but it was cool). This album could have been their breakthrough, I think it's in style similar to DT's Images and Words, but they unfortunately never became too big. Nevertheless, I think it is essential album for every progressive metal fan. P.S.: The Eleventh Hour is one of the best songs ever.
Recommended songs: The Eleventh Hour, Point of View, Life in Still Water

#13: Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of the Seventh Son(1988)

Heavy metal

Firstly, to write something about Iron Maiden. They were the first metal band I ever listened to, even before I started to actively listen to music. I think first two songs from this album I heard were Can I Play With Madness and The Evil That Man Do. From those early metal days Seventh Son of the Seventh Son was album I liked the best, great from start to finish(with few moments I can do without but nothing too bad). It is in fact concept album but I never bothered to check what it is about. I would say this album is more progressive than other albums pre-reunion and that's maybe the reason I like it so much. Bruce Dickinson is the singer who don't need further introduction. One of the best metal frontmen, singers and lyricists. You can hear Bruce is on fire and it is going to be epic album from first song, Moonchild. Those screams are awesome. Song I discovered later than some others is Infinite Dreams. Special song in Iron Maiden's discography, unique piece. I don't think I heard they did anything similar to guitar in intro of that song. Another song which epicness I realized too late is The Clairvoyant. Heard it live and it is even better. One of my favorites off the album is also The Evil That Men Do, I love those guitar harmonies in intro and prechorus. Title song is universally loved among fans but I'm not the biggest fan of atmospheric break in middle but the rest is great and in my opinion one of the best Bruce's performances. Nothing more to add, classic metal album.
Recommended songs: The Evil That Men Do, Infinite Dreams, The Clairvoyant

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
Re: Tomislav's Top 50 Albums - #14-13: distant lights still burn bright...
« Reply #178 on: March 05, 2016, 02:54:19 PM »
Seventh Son  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

I keep telling myself the title track is overrated and such, but I can't lie to myself, it is just amazing and I don't think I'll ever like any of the other songs on the album as much as that one. The chanting is so epic.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #179 on: March 06, 2016, 03:40:20 AM »
Parallels is good, but Seventh son is outstanding.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #180 on: March 06, 2016, 07:22:54 AM »
Seventh Son is incredible. :tup Infinite Dreams and the title track are two of my favorite Maiden songs ever.

Offline Tomislav95

Tomislav's Top 50 Albums - #12: What you live is your own story...
« Reply #181 on: March 06, 2016, 11:28:35 AM »
Thank you all for following :tup next is another tie...
#12: Rush - 2112(1976)/Permanent Waves(1980)

Progressive rock

These two albums are for me like two sides of same coin. 2112 was their to be or not to be album (after not so popular Caress of Steel). And it was great success for them. Also, it was one of their first albums I heard. Centerpiece of the album is title song, 20-minutes SF epic. Most people love it and I can see why, it's all we love about progressive music and something that influenced numbers of more modern bands. Other, shorter songs of the album are also great. In fact, those short track are big reason why I'm Rush fan(I wasn't always ready for the epics). A Passage for Bangkok is probably my favorite of those. Geddy threw some impressive high notes in there and it has one of my favorite Alex's guitar solos. Tears may seem out of the place for some, but I like it for what it is, good ballad between two faster songs. But seriously, this album is so good I can't tell I don't like even a small part of some song, all love them all.
On the other, there is Permanent Waves. After all those prog albums with very long songs, concepts Rush made great decision to make album that is catchier but still progressive. Spirit of the Radio is well known song among fans and big number of non-fans. It was probably the first song to give Rush well deserved popularity. It is still great song but due to overplaying it I like some other songs on this album more. Jacob's Ladder is my late discovery and at the moment my favorite Rush song. It's darker than any song on the album, have awesome lyrics penned by Neil Peart and many really progressive moments. Also, I love Geddy's vocal performance on this song. Another song that's often overlooked is nice ballad Different Strings (look at my signature). It is, in my opinion, one of the best mellow 4 minutes in band's discography. But whole album is just great. It is different but Alex still sounds like Alex (don't know where this man find all these ideas), Geddy's performance is one of the better I heard(both vocals and bass) and Neil sounds inspired in his lyrics and signature drum fills. I can see it only growing on me even more, such a great album.
Recommended songs: 2112, A Passage to Bangkok, Jacob's Ladder, Different Strings

Offline jakepriest

Re: Tomislav's Top 50 Albums - #12: What you live is your own story...
« Reply #182 on: March 06, 2016, 02:01:05 PM »
These are like the only two Rush albums I actually enjoy, so  :tup.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #183 on: March 06, 2016, 02:03:24 PM »
These are like the only two Rush albums I actually enjoy, so  :tup.

I was gonna say 'same' but I realised that that was Permanent Waves and not Moving Pictures :lol

Great to see SSOASS up high.  I have been reminded over the last few days how fucking awesome that album makes me feel.  So nostalgic, reminds me of being a kid and playing outside and hearing it blasting from my brother's room.  Especially The Clairvoyant, that feels otherworldly to me now. 

Offline Mladen

« Reply #184 on: March 06, 2016, 03:45:43 PM »
Permanent waves is a masterpiece, 2112 is also pretty great.  :metal

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #185 on: March 06, 2016, 04:03:34 PM »
I'd take PW over 2112 every day of the week.

Glad to see the Parallels love.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #186 on: March 06, 2016, 04:16:55 PM »
And I thought having PW so high would be controversial pick :P

Offline Tomislav95

Tomislav's Top 50 Albums - #11-10: Nobody knows where you are...
« Reply #187 on: March 07, 2016, 01:43:17 PM »
#11: Iron Maiden - Somewhere in Time(1986)

Heavy metal

Seventh Son used to be my favorite Iron Maiden album but I prefer Somewhere in Time little more. I wasn't always too fond of this album but few years ago, when I was rediscovering Iron Maiden, I heard this album in full and I knew I was wrong for neglecting it's greatness. While I love older albums, this one is really special for me, better than anything they did before IMO. It just feels different, sounding more like power metal than NWOBHM. I heard this is Bruce's least favorite album they did (probably because his ideas were rejected by rest of the band) but fortunately it can't be heard on the album, his singing was great as always and very expressive. My favorites things on the album are guitar harmonies and solos. Yes, they were always great at those things but I fell they've outdone themselves on this one. For example, there is intro to Caught Somewhere in Time, solo in Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner and solo in Stranger in a Strange Land. My only complaints would be those choruses where Bruce just repeats few lines, especially in Heaven Can Wait where there are no variations in chorus vocal melody. But it's nearly perfect album.
Recommended songs: Wasted Years, Sea of Madness, Deja Vu

#10: Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here(1975)

Progressive rock

Ah, Pink Floyd... Of course I knew them even before I started listening to this kind of music and I used to listen to title song very often even before I actively started listening to Pink Floyd. And it is one of those songs that never got old. I heard this album after I started listening to Dream Theater so I'm always expecting Jordan's Continuum solo in intro of Shine On You Crazy Diamond :lol In case you don't know, it is tribute to Syd Barrett, former member of Pink Floyd. Song contains nine parts and it is split in 2 separate tracks, one is opener and second is closer of the album. I was never really analizying it but I know I love whole songs, it is IMO one of the best  songs ever. Atmosphere is great and Gilmour's solos are top notch. Second song is Welcome to the Machine. To me, it feels really heavy even though there no heavy electric guitars on anything. It's heavy in term of atmosphere, like it could crush something under the weight of it's atmosphere (it may sound crazy :P ). I like to listen to it loudly. Next song is Have a Cigar, sang by Roy Harper. It's cool little song, different because of guest singer who had much wider range than Waters or Gilmour. Highlight of that song is probably guitar it's classic riff. There's of course song Wish You Were Here, classic rock ballad, also one of my all time favorites. One more reason why I love this album so much is production. Everything sounds just perfect, I'd like today's bands could make their albums to sound like Wish You Were Here.
Recommended songs: Shine On You Crazy Diamond, Wish You Were Here

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
Re: Tomislav's Top 50 Albums - #11-10: Nobody knows where you are...
« Reply #188 on: March 07, 2016, 03:34:20 PM »
Best Pink Floyd by a mile. Stupendously good.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #189 on: March 07, 2016, 09:19:05 PM »
Somewhere in Time is great.

Wish You Were Here is a masterpiece.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #190 on: March 07, 2016, 09:29:17 PM »
Yeah, excellent Pink Floyd record.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #191 on: March 08, 2016, 01:58:05 AM »
Best Pink Floyd by a mile. Stupendously good.

This. My #1 album of all time.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #192 on: March 08, 2016, 03:11:02 AM »
Basically, music hardly gets any better than these two albums.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #193 on: March 08, 2016, 03:29:03 AM »
according to Tomislav its gets better nine times :P

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #194 on: March 08, 2016, 03:54:27 AM »
HOW NEAR OR HOW FAR
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Tomislav95

Tomislav's Top 50 Albums - #9: But... I will still be myself, won't I...?
« Reply #195 on: March 08, 2016, 01:57:15 PM »
according to Tomislav its gets better nine times :P
I don't like my #1 9 times more than #10 :P actually, all albums I like 9 times better are not nearly my favorites :lol

#9: Riverside - Second Life Syndrome(2005)

Progressive rock

Another album by Riverside. I love their debut but this is simply their more mature effort. It is one of those albums that  keeps me focused to it in every second. And also, it's nature stretches across few different styles. There is kind of oriental vibe in opener After. Right away when Mariusz starts with his speaking part you can hear it is going to be dark album („I can't take anymore. I can't breathe. I'm sick of this goddamn darkness, sick of sadness and tears I throw it all up every single day...“). Second song was big grower for me. For some time I didn't care for it but it became one of my favorites. It is in style something like songs you could find on Out of Myself. It's really dark, progressive and pretty heavy. Next song is Conceiving You, one of those that got me into Riverside. Those lyrics are among the most heartbreaking things I heard, and reason is that they deal with very real problem of being too passive, watching people from distance and fear of rejection (at least it is how I interpret it). Title track reminds me of Pink Floyd with it's atmosphere and guitar work. It's one of those songs I can play whenever I have 15 minutes to spare. And I can never believe it is actually over 15 minutes long, it feels more like it's under 10 minutes. It's hard for me to describe this song but I love it to death, it is IMO their masterpiece among longer songs. Also, the part “And I know I don't need you now“ gives me chills every time. Next is Artificial Smile, black sheep of this album. I don't think it is bad, I love it, but it is different than other songs (except for solo section). It it great to have song with small change of pace on album. I already said it for few songs songs on the album but I Turned You Down is one of my favorites, equally beautiful as my other best tracks. Key instrument for me in this song is guitar. Piotr showed us how big impact few guitar notes can have, when used properly. Reality III is their last part of instrumental suite. Very good progressive song but I prefer two instrumentals on debut album. Dance With the Shadows is probably the heaviest one on the album. And very progressive, too. It has nice keyboard solo and Mariusz's gritty vocals, great stuff. Closer Before starts as nice little song and you would think it serves just as closer. But actually, it is great standalone song and after mellow start it transforms into full prog rock. Awesome track and great closer.
I can't recommend this album enough, one of the best progressive albums of this century IMO.
Recommended songs: Conceiving You, Second Life Syndrome, I Turned You Down

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
The title-track is one of their best songs, but as a whole I prefer Anno Domini and their latest release. I think this would be my third or fourth favourite by them though. It's a great album anyway.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Tomislav95

The title-track is one of their best songs, but as a whole I prefer Anno Domini and their latest release. I think this would be my third or fourth favourite by them though. It's a great album anyway.
It's been a while since I listened to ADHD. I like it but first two are more emotional and I connected with them easier.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Great record, but Anno Domini is better imo  :metal

Offline jakepriest

I've only recently checked out Riverside and have been loving Love, Fear and the Time Machine. Can't wait to check out the other albums as well, which would you recommend to go with after the latest?

Offline Tomislav95

I've only recently checked out Riverside and have been loving Love, Fear and the Time Machine. Can't wait to check out the other albums as well, which would you recommend to go with after the latest?
I'd recommend you to start from the beginning (Out of Myself). Riverside have no bad album although many don't like Shrine of New Generation Slaves (but I like it almost as their latest).

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Great record, but Anno Domini is better imo  :metal
way better, I think this one is good but not that great, haven't listened to it in ages  :lol

Offline Tomislav95

Tomislav's Top 50 Albums - #8: Once again we dance in the crowd...
« Reply #202 on: March 09, 2016, 01:16:23 PM »
#8: Dream Theater - Images and Words(1992)

Progressive metal

Dream Theater once again. Like many people here, Pull Me Under was first DT song I heard. Difference is, while some long time fans heard it in 1992, I heard it in 2009. I don't actually remember where I found it but I know I knew right away this is unlike anything I heard before (and among others I was listening to Iron Maiden, Deep Purple, some Metallica etc.). Intro is still enjoyable to this day, James' vocals something I thought was out of this world and instrumental more complicated than other things I listened to. Abrupt ending bothered me though, I couldn't find full song :lol Other song I adored from first listen was, surprisingly, Metropolis part 1. I think it was the longest song I ever heard. And I couldn't stop listening to it. I got goosebumps every time whole band kicked in and full song is just full of energy, I couldn't help it but sing every part of this song every time (instrumental part, too :P ). Those two songs I probably two songs I listened more than any other song (and I mean by any artist). Thing that was fascinating to me since I got into this band, and this is well represented on Images and Words, is James' vocals. In song like Surrounded or Learning to live his voice is soothing and deep in one part, high and powerful in other. God knows how many times I repeated that F#5 in Learning to Live. With this album James set bar pretty high and he is still one of my favorite, if not favorite, singer. Unfortunately, many people I tried to introduce to DT doesn't share my opinion. Also, I remember my mother saying me she likes music but can't stand vocalist (and I was blasting Dream Theater all the time when I discovered them). What makes this album even more special to me are keyboards. I'm usually not big fan of those but Kevin Moore did great job here. Keyboards can be hit or miss for me, and there are lot misses for me in Jordan's solos, but I think this album shines in that department. I won't write anything else, you all are familiar with this one.
My favorites: Learning to Live, Metropolis part 1, Surrounded

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: Tomislav's Top 50 Albums - #8: Once again we dance in the crowd...
« Reply #203 on: March 09, 2016, 01:38:02 PM »
I knew what it was from the title. And guess what, you got the best tracks right this time! :D
Squ

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #204 on: March 09, 2016, 01:48:52 PM »
I knew what it was from the title. And guess what, you got the best tracks right this time! :D
I can't believe Surrounded is in anyone else's top 3. I was expecting: "Where is Take the Time"? :P

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #205 on: March 09, 2016, 02:00:09 PM »
Ugh. One of my least favourite DT albums this one.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #206 on: March 09, 2016, 02:03:55 PM »

Mine, too. There are 7 better  DT albums. :neverusethis:

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #207 on: March 09, 2016, 02:43:23 PM »
:loser: :loser: :loser: :loser: :loser:

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #208 on: March 09, 2016, 04:08:29 PM »
Top 5 album... for DT :neverusethis:

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #209 on: March 09, 2016, 06:50:04 PM »

:sadpanda: