Author Topic: Tomislav's Top 50 Albums - #1: We'll meet again my friend, someday soon.  (Read 23811 times)

Offline Tomislav95

Re: Tomislav's Top 50 Albums - #20-19: Justice is lost.
« Reply #140 on: March 02, 2016, 06:20:17 AM »
Yes, glad to see AJFA! Made my top 5 (I think at #4) and it's my favorite Metallica album, followed closely by Ride the Lightning.

I hear ya about guitar tone sounding kinda off, I agree, but I'm so used to the album now that I probably wouldn't have it in any other way at this point. Great to see Harvester of Sorrow get a mention, great song that doesn't nearly get as much attention as it deserves.

Not a big fan of Awake but I do like The Mirror/Lie, Voices, Scarred and SDV a lot.
There is band in my country that started as Metallica tribute band(now they're on label making their own music and they sound more like Machine Head), they throw free Metallica show every year and I'll go that far and say their versions of song from AJFA are better than Metallica's(I'm not big fan of live Metallica). Harvester of Sorrow bacame one of my favorites after seeing them. I can send you one of their songs if you want.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 06:58:24 AM by Tomislav95 »
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #141 on: March 02, 2016, 06:49:05 AM »
That's cool! I don't mind checking out some of their songs what's the band's name? I'm a huge Machine Head fan so I don't mind them sounding like MH either  :laugh:
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #142 on: March 02, 2016, 06:57:48 AM »
That's cool! I don't mind checking out some of their songs what's the band's name? I'm a huge Machine Head fan so I don't mind them sounding like MH either  :laugh:
I know you are, that's why I said that :D Their name is Inciter.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #143 on: March 02, 2016, 09:58:07 AM »
Awake second best DT album :2metal:

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #144 on: March 02, 2016, 10:06:11 AM »
Awake is weird. I don't really like anything in the first half except for The Silent Man, but the second half starting with The Mirror is all kinds of awesome. I had a blast witnessing it live at AFTR tour.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #145 on: March 02, 2016, 10:08:50 AM »
Hey, those two would be in my top 50 as well. Good job.  :tup

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #146 on: March 02, 2016, 11:08:55 AM »
Not a big fan of Awake

I don't know how to process that. Awake is arguably their most complete release. While Images and Words is better musically, Awake is almost as brilliant musically while being better lyrically.

That being said, AJFA is arguably Metallica's best release. After that it was all downhill.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #147 on: March 02, 2016, 11:19:38 AM »
I'm not really one to dig deep into the lyrics until I can actually enjoy the songs musically, Awake is probably the biggest offender on that count for me, apart from WDADU. 6:00, CiaW, Erotomania, The Silent Man, Innocence faded and Lifting Shadows are all skippable songs in my book /thread
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #148 on: March 02, 2016, 11:25:17 AM »
Not a big fan of Awake
I don't know how to process that. Awake is arguably their most complete release. While Images and Words is better musically, Awake is almost as brilliant musically while being better lyrically.

I'm not a fan of either Awake or Images and Words.  :lol I just don't care for lyrics much and the music is very hit-or-miss on those albums.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #149 on: March 02, 2016, 12:58:27 PM »
Awake is too low tbh

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #150 on: March 02, 2016, 04:10:20 PM »
Justice is great, of course, was my favourite by Metallica for a long time. BWP was my first Opeth album. I don't think I've actually listened to it in years. Don't care for Awake these days. The last time I put it on, which was my first listen in years and divorced from my DT fanboy days, it had a strong awkward follow-up vibe for me.

Offline Tomislav95

#18: Black Sabbath - Master of Reality(1971)

Heavy/Doom metal

Here is, in my opinion, the most influential metal album. Yes, it is Black Sabbath's third record and their first two(especially Paranoid) were pretty metal, too but with Master of Reality they took it to another level. There are bands like Electric Wizard which sounds just like tribute to Master of Reality. And they were first to downtune guitar to make it sound heavier. And if that's not metal I don't know what is :P I think every member of Black Sabbath was in top of their game. Ozzy actually sounds great. I don't know if it is relativity due to lower tuned guitars or his vocal range really was bigger than I thought. Geezer Butler's bass lines are terrific. I think it is still the best bass playing in metal I ever heard, groovy, memorable and heavy. Iommi is great as always but, as I said, due to downtuned guitars his riffs are heavier than before. Also, he is one of those guitarist who is able to make the most simple riffs sound so great. Not just on this record but on every Black Sabbath's album. And there is drummer Bill Ward. He combined blues and jazz drumming and created something every metal fan is thankful for. Such a great drummer.
Master of Reality is one of the essential albums for every metal fan. It's heavy, with great playing and also pretty catchy.
Recommended songs: Children of the Grave, Sweet Leaf, Solitude

#17: Pain of Salvation - Remedy Lane(2002)

Progressive metal

Another album that's well known here on DTF. I'm not big fan of Pain of Salvation, only other album I like is The Perfect Element, Part I. Remedy Lane is one of the albums that get me into full albums listening. Before, I used to just make playlist of hundreds of songs and shuffle them. But then I discovered Remedy Lane(and progressive music in general) and it is best when listening from start to finish. I admit it is cheesy on moments but I love even those moments. Musically, this album has everything: heavy and mellow moments, great singing and some rapping(if we can call that rapping), acoustic guitars, electric guitar riffs and solos, piano etc. As whole, it is really unique album, I can't say I ever heard something that incorporates so many styles and still sounds perfect in every segment. I especially like emotional parts of this album: Undertow, This Heart of Mine, Second Love. Vocal melodies are also great and I often find myself singing or humming them even after not listening to the album for months. Singer Daniel Gildenlöw is absolutely terrific on this album. Make sure to check this album out if you don't know it yet.
Recommended songs: Undertow, Rope Ends, Trace of Blood

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Huge yes for Remedy Lane. My favourite Pain of Salvation album, but I've got to say TPE is fantastic too.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

Both great albums. I prefer Paranoid slightly but those first four Sabbath records are all fantastic.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
I need to check out more Black Sabbath  :P

Offline Tomislav95

I need to check out more Black Sabbath  :P
Me, too tbh :D I know all albums with Ozzy except Never say die but just one non-Ozzy album(Heaven and Hell).
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 11:05:24 AM by Tomislav95 »

Offline Mladen

That Sabbath album is my beast, also one of my absolute favorites. Pretty much perfect.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Remedy Lane gets a huge :tup from me, even though you got the best tracks completely wrong.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Tomislav95

Remedy Lane gets a huge :tup from me, even though you got the best tracks completely wrong.
Usually, those are songs I recommend to people who haven't heard that album yet but here those are my favorites. What is your favorite from Remedy Lane?

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Uhhh... I didn't look well enough and thought you didn't have Rope Ends in there.

Apart from that one, my favourites would be Thorn Clown (bonus track) and Chain Sling, but seriously, there are no wrong answers here. Remedy Lane is a top 15 album for me.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
The title track would arguably be a wrong answer.

Great album though.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah, no. I looked at Remedy Lane and you both have your favourite tracks kinda wrong! :lol

Looking back at my write-up, I had five tracks there. If I had to pick only three, I would go with A Trace of Blood, Second Love and Beyond the Pale.

Offline Tomislav95

Yeah, no. I looked at Remedy Lane and you both have your favourite tracks kinda wrong! :lol

Looking back at my write-up, I had five tracks there. If I had to pick only three, I would go with A Trace of Blood, Second Love and Beyond the Pale.
I have A Trace of Blood, too.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Everblind  :P

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
The title track would arguably be a wrong answer.

As would Of Two Beginnings
Squ

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
that top 3 is basically perfect tbh, maybe switch rope ends and trace but also.maybe not

Oh yeah and album is good of course I had it in my top 10 and I'd stick by that

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni

I have A Trace of Blood, too.

That's one out of three. I didn't say you had them totally wrong.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

Master of Reality is most likely my least favourite of the first six Sabbath albums, but it's still very good.

Offline Tomislav95

#16: Neutral Milk Hotel - In the Aeroplane Over the Sea(1998)

Indie folk

I can already see some of you calling me crazy for putting this so high :lol but that's the charm of this album, some love it, others hate it. I think I heard one song off this album (King of Carrot Flowers pt1?) in summer 2014 when friend sent it to me. And I was like: wtf is this? And I wasn't into indie music at all at the time. Almost a year later I asked a friend what band that was because I wanted to expand my music horizons. When I listened to whole album I was fascinated. It was like nothing I heard before (I'm not saying it is special or unique but I never heard anything similar so I don't know). Intentionally bad sound(lo-fi) may be off-putting at first but if you can get over it, this album is fantastic. I love good melodies and there are plenty of those here. It may be weird but when I got used to these vocals I started to love them. And objectively, vocals are bad(probably intentionally). It's really hard for me to describe or explain this album because I really can't. It sound like something I'd throw in garbage few years ago and now I love it. Maybe this albums arouse emotions I never knew I had(this is something my sister would say to me, she thinks I'm cold-blooded and unemotional :lol). But really, try to listen to this album with open mind, it's worth it.
Recommended songs: King of Carrot Flowers pt1, In the Aeroplane Over the Sea, Two-Headed Boy

#15: Opeth - Ghost Reveries(2005)

Progressive death metal

Another is one not so controversial pick, Opeth's fan favorite album and IMO peak of their career. Ghost Reveries wasn't always my favorite Opeth's album but looking my other favorites on this list it isn't surprise I love it. It is full of progressive moments and have ballads that are among best I heard. Ghost of Perdition is song I give my (non-metal) friends to listen and they like first few seconds :lol but then, demonic growls. And this song is one of the best examples what Mikael can do with his voice: growls, nice clean singing, some falsetto. But of course, instrumental is my favorite part of this song and one of best instrumentals in Opeth's catalog. I have same opinion about Reveries/Harlequin Forest – one of the best songs I ever heard. It's work of genius and transitions between brutal and calm parts are so smooth I can't believe it :metal. Ballads Hours of Wealth and Isolation Years are among my favorites. I'm not sure but I think many don't like those songs(I read that somewhere) but those people may be metal-only fans or whatever. Chorus in Isolation Years is really something. If I heard that song live I would probably melt on: „And as I read: "I'll die alone", I know she was aching“. As whole this album is one of the most perfect things I heard, not one bad moment in whole album :hefdaddy (and now I'm thinking about putting it higher but I promised myself I won't change list after I start with it)
Recommended songs: Ghost of Perdition, Reverie/Harlequin Forest, Isolation Years
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 02:22:09 PM by Tomislav95 »

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
IIIII LOOOOOVEEE YOUUUUU JESUS CHRIIIIIIIIIISTTT

Offline Tomislav95

IIIII LOOOOOVEEE YOUUUUU JESUS CHRIIIIIIIIIISTTT
IIII LOOOOVEEE YOUUUU, YEEES III DOO :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
ghost reveries: also too low

the only opeth album I really like but it's amazing is why

Offline Mladen

A great pick with a little boy in Spain playing pianos filled with flames on empty rings around the sun. One of my all time favorites as well, feel free to check my thread from a few years ago because we have quite a lot of albums in common.  :tup

Ghost reveries is fine, I guess, but not even close to being one of my favorite Opeth albums.

Offline Tomislav95

A great pick with a little boy in Spain playing pianos filled with flames on empty rings around the sun. One of my all time favorites as well, feel free to check my thread from a few years ago because we have quite a lot of albums in common.  :tup

Ghost reveries is fine, I guess, but not even close to being one of my favorite Opeth albums.
I think I read your thread when I was preparing for doing my top 50 but I didn't check any albums I don't know. I will surely check it more attention soon :tup

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Is Ghost Reveries really Opeth's fan favourite?
Squ