Author Topic: Tomislav's Top 50 Albums - #1: We'll meet again my friend, someday soon.  (Read 23840 times)

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Re: Tomislav's Top 50 Albums - #26-24: You're just a whisper away...
« Reply #105 on: February 29, 2016, 05:36:16 AM »
Another fantastic Anathema album  :hefdaddy

And Deadwing is pretty gud, but I never got the hype for Arriving Somewhere... Like half the album is better IMO.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #106 on: February 29, 2016, 05:39:23 AM »
This update is almost as awesome as the last one.  This list is turning out to be fucking killer!

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #107 on: February 29, 2016, 06:06:52 AM »
This update is almost as awesome as the last one.  This list is turning out to be fucking killer!
What do you mean, it was killer since the beginning :P
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #108 on: February 29, 2016, 06:09:04 AM »
Don't take offense to it. The beginning was good, but these recent listings are far better than the earlier ones.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #109 on: February 29, 2016, 06:14:02 AM »
Don't take offense to it. The beginning was good, but these recent listings are far better than the earlier ones.
No no, I was joking :lol My friends usually don't get my sarcasm when I speak and this way it's even harder. I have to start using green font :D

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #110 on: February 29, 2016, 06:16:41 AM »
#1: Manowar - Kings of Metal (1988)

Best album in the world, closely followed by their albums "The Lord of Steel" and "The Triumph of Steel".

Recommended songs: All of them!
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #111 on: February 29, 2016, 06:19:40 AM »
Adrenaline Mob as #1 or gtfo :P

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #112 on: February 29, 2016, 06:23:15 AM »
I need something more believable than Manowar and Adrenaline Mob. And Manowar would be much more believable, I couldn't get through whole AMob album once :-\

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #113 on: February 29, 2016, 06:37:57 AM »
No no, I was joking :lol My friends usually don't get my sarcasm when I speak and this way it's even harder. I have to start using green font :D

It's all good. Lately people have been drastically misconstruing my words, so I'm just making sure you know that I'm a wiseass sometimes but you'll know when I'm trying to be a dick. It won't be sugar-coated.  :lol

Your whole list has has been pretty damn good. I just get excited seeing other people give adulation to Anathema and Steven Wilson. They're both the Snob's illustrious Top 10.   ;)   It was also awesome to see Camel mentioned. You should check out Nektar. I suggest starting with Journey to the Center of the Eye or A Tab in the Ocean. Brilliant brilliant albums with some spacey Floyd influence, adding in the symphonic sound that makes Camel so awesome.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #114 on: February 29, 2016, 07:01:59 AM »

It's all good. Lately people have been drastically misconstruing my words, so I'm just making sure you know that I'm a wiseass sometimes but you'll know when I'm trying to be a dick. It won't be sugar-coated.  :lol

Your whole list has has been pretty damn good. I just get excited seeing other people give adulation to Anathema and Steven Wilson. They're both the Snob's illustrious Top 10.   ;)   It was also awesome to see Camel mentioned. You should check out Nektar. I suggest starting with Journey to the Center of the Eye or A Tab in the Ocean. Brilliant brilliant albums with some spacey Floyd influence, adding in the symphonic sound that makes Camel so awesome.
Thanks. I think I heard Nektar's one or two songs but never checked any album, I'll put it on my wishlist. Also, I'm bigger classic prog rock fan than anyone could assume looking just at this list. I just happen to like modern artist influenced by those classic prog bands more or I just find their albums more consistent.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #115 on: February 29, 2016, 07:08:38 AM »
After I see the rest of your list I'll be able to give better recommendations.

Nektar has bounced through different sub-genres of prog, so it depends what you like more. The ones I mentioned have more of a psychedelic/space prog influence, but their others are more symphonic.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #116 on: February 29, 2016, 07:24:15 AM »
Grace under pressure - fantastic.

Deadwing - even more fantastic.  :metal I loved Glass arm shattering (one of his most underrated songs) from the start, but Shallow grew on me after a while. Such an amazing rocker.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #117 on: February 29, 2016, 08:12:42 AM »
Three less incredible albums. I like Deadwing a lot, but I don't really care about WHBWH.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Re: Tomislav's Top 50 Albums - #29-27: Silence is raging!
« Reply #118 on: February 29, 2016, 08:43:06 AM »
weather systems is inferior to we're here but it's still a good album
ok and we're good

Offline Tomislav95

Re: Tomislav's Top 50 Albums - #29-27: Silence is raging!
« Reply #119 on: February 29, 2016, 09:28:54 AM »
weather systems is inferior to we're here but it's still a good album
ok and we're good
When you wrote you like it better I had to resist the urge to write: me, too.  :P
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 03:49:01 AM by Tomislav95 »

Offline Tomislav95

Tomislav's Top 50 Albums - #23-21: Can You See the Real Me?
« Reply #120 on: March 01, 2016, 04:41:52 AM »
#23: Porcupine Tree - Lightbulb Sun(2000)

Progressive rock

It's obvious by now I'm Steven Wilson fanboy :lol Really, I love everything he did. As it was case with Stupid Dream, I discovered this some time later after discovering Porcupine Tree. And Lightbulb Sun is perfect link between alternative, almost Radiohead-like Stupid Dream and their later progressive rock with heavy edge albums. This one has elements from both worlds as well as some tunes which sound unusual even for the band like Porcupine Tree. What I like very much on this album is rhythm guitar work, especially on Lightbulb Sun and Last Chance To Evacuate Planet Earth Before It Is Recycled. But lead solos are cool, too, with melodic moments which are prominent on some later albums. I don't know if others like song The Rest Will Flow but to me it is special little gem in PT's discography. It sounds sad and happy at the same time, awakening kind of nostalgic feel. Another song which recently became one of my favorites is Russian on Ice, it reminds me of their early albums and Pink Floyd. It also has great guitar work. Can't believe this album surpassed Deadwing on my list but it somehow did, such a grower album.
Recommended songs: Lightbulb Sun, Shesmovedon, Russian on Ice

#22: The Who - Quadrophenia(1973)

Hard rock

This is second of my best discoveries of last year. I'm not sure but I think I decided to check this album after I heard Love, Reign O'er me on Freaks and Geeks, teen tv shows from late '90s (it's better than it sounds). Show had really cool soundtrack in every episode but in that one particular they were going to The Who's concert so they played only The Who in that episode. Everything I heard from The Who before was cool but not this cool. I don't even know how to describe this album. It's double concept album with young mod Jimmy who do drugs and loves to fight. Not so epic as some other concepts albums :lol Albums follows Jimmy, after girlfriend left him, as he travel alone and contemplates. I have to say I never thought Keith Moon was great drummer before I heard this album. I can hear his drumming influenced some metal drummers (Mike Portnoy for example). Those drum fills are great. I always loved Roger Daltrey's voice and he's magnificent here. It ranges from soft and low to high and gritty. There are also some quite symphonic moments on the album and that makes it really unique. I feel this album should be more popular than it is, check it out.
Recommended songs: Love Reign O'er Me, The Dirty Jobs, Doctor Jimmy (but really, the whole album)

#21: Opeth - Blackwater Park(2001)

Progressive death metal

I know I said this about half albums on this list but this, for me, was one of the biggest growers. And actually, for quite some time I didn't get why people like this album so much. I used to love half songs on the album but other half didn't do it for me. After some time songs like Dirge of November, The Funeral Portrait and The Leper Affinity finally clicked with me and two of those became my favorites(Dirge and Leper). Harvest and Bleak, on the other hand, were songs I liked from first time I heard them (Bleak actually was first Opeth's songs with growls I liked). Blackwater Park is just perfect in many ways: there are brutal growly moments, peaceful moments, more peaceful moments, riffs that really remind me of jazz(The Funeral Portrait) and perfect production. Drummer Martin Lopez shines on this one, that man should get more credit for his work, his drumming is very unique. This is one of the best albums, I feel it could be even higher on the list, it only gets better.
Recommended songs: Harvest, Dirge for November, Bleak

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
Re: Tomislav's Top 50 Albums - #23-21: Can You See the Real Me?
« Reply #121 on: March 01, 2016, 05:38:23 AM »
Another awesome update!  I'm especially glad to see The Who, the third best classic rock band ever, behind Pink Floyd and The Beatles.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #122 on: March 01, 2016, 05:45:50 AM »
Another awesome update!  I'm especially glad to see The Who, the third best classic rock band ever, behind Pink Floyd and The Beatles.
:tup
I don't really know any other The Who's album other then Quadrophenia and their most popular songs. I guess I'd like Tommy but there's too much other music to check :P

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #123 on: March 01, 2016, 05:49:18 AM »
Quadrophenia is their best anyway. Tommy is worth checking out though.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #124 on: March 01, 2016, 06:30:00 AM »
Another glorious Porcupine Tree album, it's gotta be my 2nd favorite album of theirs. Blackwater park is also pretty damn good.  :metal

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #125 on: March 01, 2016, 06:47:48 AM »
After listening to the first two Porcupine Tree CDs last night, I've realized that their older stuff is so much more appealing. That's not to say I don't like albums like Fear of a Blank Planet and Deadwing, but their older material is so much more refreshing.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #126 on: March 01, 2016, 06:53:25 AM »
After listening to the first two Porcupine Tree CDs last night, I've realized that their older stuff is so much more appealing. That's not to say I don't like albums like Fear of a Blank Planet and Deadwing, but their older material is so much more refreshing.
On the Sunday of Life and Up the Downstairs or Up the Downstairs and The Sky Moves Sideways? I don't remember ever listening to first one and I never really got into next two but those two are cool, Pink Floyd sounding.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #127 on: March 01, 2016, 07:00:01 AM »
On The Sunday of Life and Up the Downstair

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #128 on: March 01, 2016, 08:09:12 AM »
A fantastic PT record, a Who album I have yet to listen to, and an OK Opeth album :P

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #129 on: March 01, 2016, 08:42:38 AM »
That's got to be my favourite PT album. Either this one or In Absentia.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline 7deg_inner_happiness

• Can't get enough music!
« Reply #130 on: March 01, 2016, 09:06:30 AM »
Yes, Lightbulb Sun is my favorite PT album.  Quadrophenia is an excellent selection.
- Ronzoni -

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #131 on: March 01, 2016, 09:51:31 AM »
Whoa, that's a weird selection of favourite songs from Blackwater Park.

A fantastic PT record, a Who album I have yet to listen to, and an OK Opeth album :P

^ a lame PT record, a Who album I probably heard in my youth, but one that hasn't impacted me in any way and a brilliant Opeth album.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #132 on: March 01, 2016, 10:03:50 AM »
I wonder how you're doing so well in my roulette with such bad tastes  :P

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #133 on: March 01, 2016, 10:09:07 AM »
Bad tastes + bad tastes = love
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #134 on: March 01, 2016, 10:14:28 AM »
Well that doesn't seem to work for like half of the players  :lol

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #135 on: March 01, 2016, 10:28:45 AM »
Whoa, that's a weird selection of favourite songs from Blackwater Park.
Really? Harvest and Bleak were one of the first Opeth's songs I heard and Dirge is my new favorite.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #136 on: March 01, 2016, 10:47:18 AM »
Most would put either the title-track or The Drapery Falls amoung their favourites, next to Bleak
Squ

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #137 on: March 01, 2016, 11:10:18 AM »
Dirge for November is a great track, has one of the most memorable melodic riffs of the album.
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

Offline Tomislav95

Tomislav's Top 50 Albums - #20-19: Justice is lost.
« Reply #138 on: March 02, 2016, 05:16:21 AM »
I'll slow down, from now on two albums by update.
#20: Metallica - ...And Justice for All(1988)

Thrash metal

The only thrash metal album on my list. I have to admit I used to be that thrash 'til death, Metallica started to suck after Cliff died, sellouts etc. boy. And unfortunately I ignored everything they did after Master of Puppets. I don't know when was the first time I decided to check this album but I know I was pleasantly surprised. It was heavy (almost) as Master of Puppets but it had another dimension I never heard in earlier Metallica's albums. This album could be labeled as progressive thrash metal and Metallica with And Justice for All did start trend of more technical thrash albums(but any similar album isn't so good to me). Only thing I'd like different on this album is production. Bass can't be heard(guys from Metallica say it's because Jason just doubled rhythm guitar but I don't know what to say), guitar tone isn't really my favorite either and I think album sound as whole lacks depth. But right now no one can imagine And Justice for All to sound different. It is one of the perfectly headbangable albums from start to finish, even ballad One turns in the heavy thrash song. Also, while I'm not usually fan of their solos, solo in One gives me chills. It's nothing special but contrast between slow acoustic intro and heavy part with solo is epic. Blackened is one of my favorite openers, but really I love every song on the album.
Recommended songs: Blackened, One, Harvester Of Sorrow

#19: Dream Theater - Awake(1994)

Progressive metal

I bet no one saw this coming :neverusethis: Awake used to be my favorite album but I guess I grew tired of it enough to drop it on #19. If I remember correctly 6:00 was first song from Awake I ever heard. And it was different than any of the songs I heard before. And whole album was just wow for me. Progressive, dark, on moments very heavy, on moments mellow. And James' performance on Awake is for me still one of the best vocal performances ever(and production helps it unlikely one some other DT's albums). I'm very glad they played half of it on last tour when they (finally) visited my country. I know they promoted new album but second act and encore were highlights of the evening. I have nothing more to say, you all know this album very well.
Favorites: Lifting Shadows Off a Dream, Voices, Scarred

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
Re: Tomislav's Top 50 Albums - #20-19: Justice is lost.
« Reply #139 on: March 02, 2016, 05:49:44 AM »
Yes, glad to see AJFA! Made my top 5 (I think at #4) and it's my favorite Metallica album, followed closely by Ride the Lightning.

I hear ya about guitar tone sounding kinda off, I agree, but I'm so used to the album now that I probably wouldn't have it in any other way at this point. Great to see Harvester of Sorrow get a mention, great song that doesn't nearly get as much attention as it deserves.

Not a big fan of Awake but I do like The Mirror/Lie, Voices, Scarred and SDV a lot.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.