Author Topic: Dream Theater - This Dying Soul Unison: COVER  (Read 1315 times)

Offline Sourcegamer101

Dream Theater - This Dying Soul Unison: COVER
« on: February 14, 2016, 09:32:11 PM »
You wouldn't believe how much my wrist hurt after playing this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNT2h64sY9o

I also whipped up a backingtrack from my original mix if you want to make your own cover of this: https://soundcloud.com/sourcegamer101/dream-theater-this-dying-soul-unison-guitar-backingtrack

Offline krands85

Re: Dream Theater - This Dying Soul Unison: COVER
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2016, 05:35:46 AM »
Great job! No wonder they haven't played the song live for 10 years  :lol
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline Tiko

• Keyboardist for The Storyline
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2016, 01:13:22 AM »
Cool! Looks like you have a lot of tension though, you shouldn't have a sore wrist after playing anything!

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2016, 01:50:48 AM »
^ what he says. Though I can't play this part, not at this speed. I could probably legato my way through it, but my right hand isn't used to passages this fast and this long.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Sourcegamer101

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2016, 06:47:51 PM »
actually, after prolonged practice periods of fast alternate picking like this eventually turns from trying "not to fatigue quickly and having a sore wrist" into "being hyper aware of the starting point, resting points on right hand, concentration, and whether you accidentally flub a note or two" which sounds like more things, but it really is just muscle memory. you tend to have more of a larger scrubbing motion when on the thinner bottom strings and on the top strings its more of a tighter scratching motion.

with stuff like this its easy to miss a note and not have everyone notice, but if you miss a note that throws you off time, literally one note, then it can be hard to start back up again and recover at a different point, which makes you have to switch resting points of the wrist and hand and reposition your fretting hand. tension control for me is in my left hand, there is a lot of gymnastic-like stretching on the lower frets where i have to use the tips of my fingers rather than pads. I try to not use excessive pressure when fretting a note cause that tires me out a lot. use "just enough" pressure. just minor adjustments