Author Topic: The Official Yes Thread  (Read 265024 times)

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
Re: The Official Yes Thread
« Reply #1015 on: June 22, 2011, 01:32:42 PM »
Sweeet about the interview

And agree with Quad about Tales being the best Yes album. It definitely is an acquired taste, but once it clicks... damn!

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1016 on: June 22, 2011, 04:22:37 PM »
Be careful Quad,  You know how an old man's heart can skip a beat......

CODE BLUE!! CODE BLUE!!!

Is this your safe word? :lol
>Mental image of Lonestar in a situation where he would need a safe word
>lol

Assholes. :rollin

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #1017 on: June 30, 2011, 11:25:34 PM »
it might be the herbs, but Fly From Here is easily the best Yes album since GFTO.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #1018 on: July 01, 2011, 12:40:36 PM »
I've heard amazing things about Fly From Here, but have never really listened to Yes apart from a few Closer to the Edge listens. This will be fun :)

Offline ScioPath

• the king of dance
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1019 on: July 01, 2011, 12:46:42 PM »
FFH is awesome.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1020 on: July 01, 2011, 01:38:09 PM »
Great album indeed.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1021 on: July 01, 2011, 01:57:29 PM »
I need to pick it up.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #1022 on: July 02, 2011, 08:24:23 AM »
5 listens later and I'm still loving it!
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1023 on: July 02, 2011, 08:28:29 AM »
Listening to it for the first time in an hour or so...

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1024 on: July 02, 2011, 12:29:23 PM »
FFH is an amazing and soaring rejuvenation of the Yes family! I'm surprised that Squire (IIRC) says they may already be interested in doing a follow-up with the same line-up!

Can't wait for them to take this stuff on the road!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #1025 on: July 02, 2011, 01:47:59 PM »
it might be the herbs, but Fly From Here is easily the best Yes album since GFTO.

Agree with this so much! Great album.  I still think it would have sounded better with Jon though.  Is it just me or did Benoit sound a bit bland? Good album though.  :)

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #1026 on: July 02, 2011, 04:32:11 PM »
Glad to see people are digging the album, I'm probably gonna wait until I gt some uh.... green... before I take a listen.  :biggrin:

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #1027 on: July 02, 2011, 06:15:02 PM »
It is an unusual fact that while Yes is not my favorite progressive rock band from the good old days (I like Genesis, King Crimson and Kansas more) I actually own more CDs by Yes than any other band in my collection. If I had to be pressed to name favorites, I'd have to go with Close to the Edge followed closely by The Yes Album. Of all the prog I listen to, Yes is the band that seems to worm its way furthest into my soul, and at least once a month I go on a Yes binge and play at least everything from The Yes Album to Drama. Really need to hear the new one.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1028 on: July 04, 2011, 11:52:50 AM »
I can't believe you guys are so nutty about this new album.  Perhaps the euphoria of having the first Yes studio album in 10 years has something to do with it?  Just speculating; not meaning to put down anyone's opinion of it...

Anyway, after several listens, I don't think it is a bad album, but it just kind of there.  There are some cool things going on musically - how could there not be with those guys playing? - but...and here it comes...I am not wild about Benoit David's voice.  Yes, I miss Jon Anderson's voice (hearing a Yes album at this stage without him singing would be like hearing a new Rush album without Geddy Lee singing), but not only is David's voice pretty average, it seems like they had to do some major studio trickery with his voice.  I usually don't notice auto-tune or other stuff like that, but on one of the first vocal lines of the album (the second line, I think), when he is attempting a high note, it is extremely obvious and just sounds bad.  Overall, like I said, I don't think it is a bad album by any means, but, again, it is just kind of there.  I don't listen to Yes nearly as much as I used to, so when you combine the fact that I will go for the tried and true great Yes stuff when I actually do listen to them along with there being tons of new music this year that is much better, I don't see myself getting a lot of mileage out of this record. 

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #1029 on: July 04, 2011, 05:51:06 PM »
I'm starting to fall under that category. I spun it 5 times in the first 2-3 days I had it but have yet to listen to it again. This week I'll have to listen again and see where I'm at. I think I was just overexcited with there being a new Yes album since I've become a fan.

Honestly though, it is pretty damn good considering they're more than 40 years into their career.
space cadet, pull out.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1030 on: July 04, 2011, 10:35:45 PM »
It's hard to not be a little excited about a new Yes album after 10 years of nada, but while I expect a decent portion of Yes fans will eat it up with a spoon, at least for a little while until the newness factor wears off, I suspect many more will not.  I thought Into the Storm was cool (IIRC, it was mostly harmonies, so the lack of Anderson wasn't as noticeable or bothersome).

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1031 on: July 05, 2011, 05:29:25 AM »
Well, I've picked it up but haven't had a chance to listen to it yet.  So I'll give it a spin in the next few days.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1032 on: July 05, 2011, 02:04:01 PM »
Talk about two tales of an album.  You can tell which songs were written in what decade.  I'm not saying the songs are bad but it is a stark difference.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #1033 on: July 05, 2011, 08:11:58 PM »
How did you feel about the album though?
space cadet, pull out.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1034 on: July 05, 2011, 08:22:44 PM »
I guess I'll check this one out soon.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1035 on: July 05, 2011, 08:24:09 PM »
Not mind blowing but good.  I'd give it a B-.  I liked the production but there was a stark difference in styles from the big song written in 1980 and the others. I need to play it a few times more.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #1036 on: July 05, 2011, 08:25:38 PM »
Not mind blowing but good.  I'd give it a B-.  I liked the production but there was a stark difference in styles from the big song written in 1980 and the others. I need to play it a few times more.

Well the one from 1980 was much shorter, and was expanding in the past year to be like 2-3x longer. I still get what you're saying; they sound a lot different. But I think that's just because it's Yes. "Close to the Edge" sounds nothing like "And You And I" and both of those sound even less like "Siberian Khatru"
space cadet, pull out.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1037 on: July 05, 2011, 08:28:29 PM »
There is a very different style to the other song.  I liked them but the first(the long song) had that earlier vibe and the newer songs were on the poppy side with a different style of lyrics.  I'm not saying they were lesser but it seemed like two different albums to me.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1038 on: July 05, 2011, 09:29:41 PM »
I'm starting to fall under that category. I spun it 5 times in the first 2-3 days I had it but have yet to listen to it again. This week I'll have to listen again and see where I'm at. I think I was just overexcited with there being a new Yes album since I've become a fan.

Honestly though, it is pretty damn good considering they're more than 40 years into their career.

Damn. Your initial high reviews had me so pumped for this. Oh well. I did listen to Magnification a couple days ago, though. Glorious record. Gets better with every listen!

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #1039 on: July 05, 2011, 09:32:36 PM »
I still think it's a great album, don't get me wrong.
space cadet, pull out.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1040 on: July 05, 2011, 09:38:42 PM »
Better than Magnification, though?

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #1041 on: July 05, 2011, 09:48:31 PM »
Oh, Easily.
space cadet, pull out.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1042 on: July 07, 2011, 09:06:05 AM »
After a couple of days, I have to say that I'm very happy with the new album. It's no groundbreaking material, but it's exactly what I wanted it to be - a fine prog rock album. Maybe it misses those goosebumps moments and some beauty of early Yes works, but still, a very good record. The title track is the absolute highlight, as well as Solitaire and The Man you always wanted me to be.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1043 on: July 10, 2011, 11:05:18 PM »
So, what are your opinions on the ABWH album?

I like it quite a bit, although it has some major duds.  But Birthright and Themes are both great tunes, and Brother of Mine, Fist of Fire and Order of the Universe are all good as well (although Order is a bit clunky at times). 

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #1044 on: July 11, 2011, 07:24:08 AM »
I love ABWH. I just hate the 80s production which kind of drops it down a notch for me.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1045 on: July 11, 2011, 07:40:39 AM »
I remember hearing Brother Of Mine on the radio and loved it only to find out when I got the cd that the song was 10 minutes and loved it!!  Great tour.  Saw them at The Wang Theater in Boston.  The greatest place to see a band in Boston for it's acoustics.  Rick Wakeman blew me away.

So the new album is very good.  It's growing on me.  I've been playing it quite a bit working in the yard.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1046 on: July 11, 2011, 01:45:31 PM »
I love ABWH. I just hate the 80s production which kind of drops it down a notch for me.

Hmmm, it never struck me as having 80s-sounding production.  I think it might come across that way because of Bruford's electronic drums and Rick Wakeman's choice of keyboard sounds (which are questionable at times, but killer at others).

Rick Wakeman blew me away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBhpHuv-t-Q

:hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1047 on: July 11, 2011, 05:10:40 PM »
I remember being thrilled to stumble across the ABWH album back in the 80's when Yes was officially the 90125 band.  Yeah, a couple of songs don't completely thrill me, but overall a good album and much closer to the Yes I'd grown up with than freakin' "Owner of a Lonely Heart" that's for sure.

What's the deal with Fly From Here?  I thought it was out a few weeks ago, AMG has the release date as last Tuesday, so I went to finally pick it up this weekend and the release date is supposedly tomorrow.  Argh!  (I realize that I could download it, but since this is the first Yes album in like 10 years, I want my first listen to be the actual CD.)

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1048 on: July 11, 2011, 09:48:08 PM »
I still haven't heard a note yet, but if anyone actually bought the CD and it's still in great shape and wants to flip it for something else in this thread that they might dig more have at it...

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=848.105

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1049 on: July 11, 2011, 10:57:48 PM »
Geoff Downes seems like a fun guy :lol:

https://yesworld.com/blog/   (read his blogs from 7/7 and 7/8)