Author Topic: The Official Yes Thread  (Read 265103 times)

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
Re: The Official Yes Thread
« Reply #945 on: May 24, 2011, 11:13:06 AM »
I'm excited for this, but I won't keep my hopes up.

Magnification was fucking amazing though, so hopefully it will be as good, or better.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #947 on: June 02, 2011, 11:49:06 PM »
If I were looking for the forum expert on Jon Anderson, who would I go to?
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #948 on: June 03, 2011, 07:22:03 AM »
I know a bit about Yes in general, and specifics, but I don't know if I'm an expert on Jon.  What do you need to know?

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #949 on: June 03, 2011, 08:42:59 AM »
If I were looking for the forum expert on Jon Anderson, who would I go to?

I've read his whole biography on his site, but I'm no expert. I'd be down for a chat about him on Skype if you like though. I really like the sound of this record so far.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #950 on: June 03, 2011, 11:33:40 AM »
That was a segue, right?  Jon Anderson isn't on the new Yes album.

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #953 on: June 04, 2011, 08:43:18 AM »
https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B0053WU6XG/ref=sr_1_album_2_rd?ie=UTF8&child=B0053WU76W&qid=1307111833&sr=1-2

SAMPLES!!!

Sweet! Thanks for posting that!...but, who is singing in the clip for "The Man You Always Wanted Me To Be"??

This sounds like a classic Yes album in the making! If this ends up being their last studio album, I think I might be okay with it! :tup

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #954 on: June 04, 2011, 09:28:36 AM »
It does sound quite Drama-ish, like along the lines of Tempus Fugit, combined with Fragile or The Yes Album.  Judging from the samples it actually sounds like it has the potential to be good.  "Bumpy Ride" doesn't sound like it'll go over well with me, but we'll have to see, won't we?

Offline Mladen

« Reply #955 on: June 04, 2011, 10:00:04 AM »
This sounds very nice, especially the title track.

Offline Revel

• The Prancing Philosopher
  • Not this day, just a hop and a skip and a 1, 2, 3
« Reply #956 on: June 04, 2011, 01:15:40 PM »
Yes is yes.
The Ladder is what I fall asleep to these days, and it makes for some seriously weird dreams.
\"Oh bliss! Bliss and heaven! Oh, it was gorgeousness and gorgeousity made flesh. It was like a bird of rarest-spun heaven metal or like silvery wine flowing in a spaceship, gravity all nonsense now. As I slooshied, I knew such lovely pictures!\"

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #957 on: June 04, 2011, 01:51:44 PM »
I'm avoiding the samples.  When the new album comes out, I want to buy it, rip the shrinkwrap off, and play it in my car, loudly, and let me ears and brain absorb it.  I will sit there in the parking lot of Best Buy and go through the booklet and lyrics and liner notes and everything, and everything I hear and see will be new, like in the old days.

I considered not even checking this thread until after the new album comes out, so as to avoid people's opinions on the samples, but I guess I can deal with them, plus we talk about stuff other than the new album.  So you guys are stuck with me for now.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #958 on: June 04, 2011, 01:54:23 PM »
I'm avoiding the samples.  When the new album comes out, I want to buy it, rip the shrinkwrap off, and play it in my car, loudly, and let me ears and brain absorb it.

This. The best way to hear any new music, imo.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #959 on: June 04, 2011, 02:00:40 PM »
:tup

Offline Revel

« Reply #960 on: June 04, 2011, 02:13:19 PM »
I'm avoiding the samples.  When the new album comes out, I want to buy it, rip the shrinkwrap off, and play it in my car, loudly, and let me ears and brain absorb it.  I will sit there in the parking lot of Best Buy and go through the booklet and lyrics and liner notes and everything, and everything I hear and see will be new, like in the old days.

Definitely best way to do so...  I'd hope you've got some good speakers in that car of yours  ;)
\"Oh bliss! Bliss and heaven! Oh, it was gorgeousness and gorgeousity made flesh. It was like a bird of rarest-spun heaven metal or like silvery wine flowing in a spaceship, gravity all nonsense now. As I slooshied, I knew such lovely pictures!\"

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #961 on: June 04, 2011, 02:20:13 PM »
I'm avoiding the samples.  When the new album comes out, I want to buy it, rip the shrinkwrap off, and play it in my car, loudly, and let me ears and brain absorb it.

This. The best way to hear any new music, imo.

It usually take several listens of something to have it really sink in for me. I listened to the samples, but by the time the album comes out I probably won't remember a note of it. It gets me excited for it and I still get to enjoy it like I haven't heard anything when it does come out.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #962 on: June 04, 2011, 04:13:40 PM »
https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B0053WU6XG/ref=sr_1_album_2_rd?ie=UTF8&child=B0053WU76W&qid=1307111833&sr=1-2

SAMPLES!!!

Sweet! Thanks for posting that!...but, who is singing in the clip for "The Man You Always Wanted Me To Be"??

This sounds like a classic Yes album in the making! If this ends up being their last studio album, I think I might be okay with it! :tup

-Marc.

Sounded like John Wetton to my ears.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #963 on: June 04, 2011, 05:38:24 PM »
According to wiki its Chris Squire.  I mean, who else could it be, really?

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #964 on: June 04, 2011, 05:41:54 PM »
CHRIS SQUIRE SINGING LEAD?!

YESSSSS

Can You Imagine was one of my favorites from Magnification.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #965 on: June 04, 2011, 08:25:26 PM »
Squire almost never sings lead, which is a shame because he has an excellent voice. He's actually the only one who's classically trained as a vocalist.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #966 on: June 04, 2011, 08:37:42 PM »
Yes never really clicked with me, but right now 'The Yes Album' is slowly changing this. 'Yours is no Disgrace' is fantastic.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #967 on: June 04, 2011, 08:40:50 PM »
Yes never really clicked with me, but right now 'The Yes Album' is slowly changing this. 'Yours is no Disgrace' is fantastic.

I love TYA, and for many fans, this is where classic Yes begins (ending with Going For The One for many, for others ending at Drama).

If you really get into them, I high suggest getting their live album Yessongs. It features 5 of the 6 songs from The Yes Album and many of them have extended instrumental sections! The band really comes alive on the stage and I'd say Yessongs is one of the best live albums of classic 70's prog.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #968 on: June 04, 2011, 09:07:04 PM »

That's their best album  :tup

Offline Revel

« Reply #969 on: June 04, 2011, 11:00:37 PM »
I'm diggin' on The Ladder as it were ^__^
The Yes Album is pretty fantacular too, and the rest I'm still trying to understand. 

How's Magnification though, I haven't really had the chance to listen to it yet, that's the 2001 release, isn't it?

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #970 on: June 05, 2011, 01:09:15 AM »

I considered not even checking this thread until after the new album comes out, so as to avoid people's opinions on the samples, but I guess I can deal with them, plus we talk about stuff other than the new album.  So you guys are stuck with me for now.

That's pretty much how I'm doing it (But I always do it this way. I never bothered downloading Testimony 2 and aside from a few Internet radio stations playing the first part I didn't hear any of it until it showed up in the mail and I sat down with the booklet).

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #971 on: June 05, 2011, 12:32:05 PM »
Yes is my favorite band, and I'm not really sure what to think about those samples. They seem good, but not as rocking as I would have liked. I like Drama a lot, so I'm not a Jon = Yes guy, although I'd prefer Jon as singer, of course. The album cover's cool. :smiley:

The Yes Album is pretty fantacular too, and the rest I'm still trying to understand. 

How's Magnification though, I haven't really had the chance to listen to it yet, that's the 2001 release, isn't it?

I love Magnification. The orchestra fits the songs quite well and I don't miss the keyboards. Knowing it's likely the last album with Jon makes the music more poignant, actually, since there's already a kind of nostalgic quality about some of it. Since you like The Ladder, you'd probably enjoy it.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline Revel

« Reply #972 on: June 05, 2011, 01:00:35 PM »
Yes is my favorite band, and I'm not really sure what to think about those samples. They seem good, but not as rocking as I would have liked. I like Drama a lot, so I'm not a Jon = Yes guy, although I'd prefer Jon as singer, of course. The album cover's cool. :smiley:

I love Magnification. The orchestra fits the songs quite well and I don't miss the keyboards. Knowing it's likely the last album with Jon makes the music more poignant, actually, since there's already a kind of nostalgic quality about some of it. Since you like The Ladder, you'd probably enjoy it.

Ahhh hahahaa that's another thing I'd noticed... is how awesome the album covers are.  Yeah.  I'll definitely check into it then!

Offline jmbeat

« Reply #973 on: June 06, 2011, 02:35:21 PM »
According to wiki its Chris Squire.  I mean, who else could it be, really?
Trevor Horn
"So just shut your face and take a seat because after all you're just talking meat.....and music?  Well that's just entertainment folks.---Devin Townsend

"I'm not drinking until Saturday"---My Wife;)

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #974 on: June 06, 2011, 06:38:03 PM »
Didn't he say his singing days were over or something to that effect, though?

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #975 on: June 07, 2011, 03:43:24 PM »
I'm not sure if jmbeat's post is a joke, but the singer on The Man You Always Wanted Me to Be is definitely Squire.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #976 on: June 09, 2011, 11:23:41 PM »
Okay folks, here's the deal. It looks like I may be able to interview Jon Anderson. I would like to focus on what he's done recently but I have not followed him closely since his departure from Yes. If you have questions or areas you'd like me to explore when talking to Jon now would be the time to post them. I would prefer to stay on topics of his solo material and what he's been doing recently with Wakeman as opposed to bringing up Yes.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #977 on: June 09, 2011, 11:55:23 PM »
Rick and Jon recorded an album together recently, just voice and keyboards.  A logical question would be whether they might do a follow-up, or another tour, or whatever.  Jon and Vangelis recorded a few albums together years ago, but supposedly they had a falling out.  Those albums were more interesting IMO because Vangelis brought his entire array of keyboards.  The Living Tree (Jon and Rick's album) is mostly just voice and piano, with some string and brass patches, and electric rather than acoustic piano, but overall the arrangements are pretty sparse.  Maybe ask whether a more adventurous album a la Jon and Vangelis might be in the cards.

There have been rumours of an Anderson-Wakeman-Rabin collaboration.  It would be nice to find out about that first-hand as well.  Rick Wakeman and Trevor Rabin have both spoken many times of wishing to work together, but it never seems to work out.  Seeing as how the one band they have in common is Yes, yet they've never actually played together on a Yes album, an Anderson-Wakeman-Rabin album makes perfect sense.  So what's up with that?

It's actually been quite a while since his last solo album.  Is there possibly another solo endeavor down the road?

His health is a genuine concern, and cited as the reason for his departure from Yes, or Yes choosing to move on without him, depending on how you interpret the events.  He's still not 100% healthy again, and may never be, given that he's pushing 70 now.  Does he plan to retire some day, or will he literally continue making music until he cannot any more?

Jon is a very spiritual guy.  What does he believe will become of him, his spirit, his energy, when he passes on?

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #978 on: June 10, 2011, 10:42:59 AM »
That's good stuff Orbert, but I will say that Jon and Wakeman do have a tour together kicking off in October, and Jon has a solo album being commercially released on June 14th.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #979 on: June 10, 2011, 11:18:58 AM »
Then you're more informed than me!

I've been keeping up with Yes, but since Jon and Rick aren't currently in Yes, I don't catch most news concerning them.  I did pick up The Living Tree and like it, but I thought I heard that they weren't (currently) touring it, which seemed odd but I attributed it to Jon's health and Rick's thousands of other commitments.  Not every project or side project means there will be a tour.

Interesting news about the solo album, too.  That's brand new to me.