Author Topic: The Official Yes Thread  (Read 265116 times)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Re: The Official Yes Thread
« Reply #910 on: April 27, 2011, 07:26:32 AM »
My first "favorite band" was Chicago.  Not the lame, light-rock, adult-contemporary, whiny band they'd become in the 80's and 90's, but the jazz-prog-rock band with ass-kicking horns and 10-minute guitar solos they started as back in the 70's.  My first album was the astounding four-record Live at Carnegie Hall, which featured an extended free-form piano solo and two extended guitar solos in its first 65-minute chunk of tape (which spanned the first three LP sides and the first CD).

I tell you this because I listened to those solos and that album over and over again, and marveled every time.  These solos are not your basic deal where the band keeps playing the same progression as the verse or chorus for ten minutes while the soloist bores you to fucking tears with his wankery.  They're the kind where the horn section goes backstage for a beer while the guitar, bass, keys, and drums take off into a completely improvised jam which changes tempo, time signature, key, and mood multiple times, exploring the jazz roots of the band and taking the listener on a unique journey.  Everything each of the four of them is playing is in response to what each of the other three is playing.

I know this because not only does it sound exactly like that, but because the remastered version includes alternate live versions of these amazing jams, and they're completely different.  Chicago played a full week at Carnegie Hall, and these recordings were taken from other nights.  I suddenly wanted to hear every night.  If the two versions of "Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is?", "South California Purples", and "Sing a Mean Tune, Kid" were that different, then every night was different.  Every night was another unique jam, another unique journey, and I wanted to hear it, to experience it.

And I finally understood why people collect multiple live recordings of the same band playing the same songs hundreds of times.  It's not the songs; it's the jams.  Now I understand.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #911 on: April 27, 2011, 08:12:23 AM »
Orbert.  Funny you mention Chicago.  My cousin just burned me Chicago, live in San Fran 1969 and Chicago, Budokan, Japan 1972 boots.  I'm uploading them to my I-pod as we speak.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #912 on: April 27, 2011, 11:32:22 AM »
San Fran 1969 is pretty raw, but the band was already very tight, and it shows the beginnings (ha!) of a band that would become truly amazing for a while.

The 1972 stuff is mind-blowing.  I wanted this band to last forever.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #913 on: April 27, 2011, 11:38:32 AM »
I really want get into Chicago. The only song I know by them is 25 or 6 to 4. But your description of their live album sounds amazing!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #914 on: April 27, 2011, 11:45:55 AM »
Their old stuff ZBomber is a grove jam fest orgasm.  Great vocals and harmonies.

Orbert.  I love seeing how a band molds into that band they become down the line.  That's the great thing about boots.  The maturation of the music.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #915 on: April 27, 2011, 11:53:04 AM »
San Fran 1969 is pretty raw, but the band was already very tight, and it shows the beginnings (ha!) of a band that would become truly amazing for a while.

The 1972 stuff is mind-blowing.  I wanted this band to last forever.

Orbert, not to turn this into a Chicago thread, but at what point in their discography/career do you think this band turned "soft"?
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #916 on: April 27, 2011, 12:09:37 PM »
The first five albums are all pure gold.  If you have the funds, I suggest getting Live at Carnegie Hall.  Most songs are pretty faithful to their studio versions, but with some extra stuff here and there, and then there are the songs which are the bases for the extended jams.

If you can't afford it, or can't find it, I recommend either the first album (The Chicago Transit Authority) or Chicago V, which is my favorite studio album.  The sprawling, semi-proggish arrangements of the first three albums (which were all originally double LPs) were scaled back into more concise jams, but they'd started playing more with time signatures, and Pankow's horn arrangements were getting really crazy.  The playing on that album is both very tight and very loose; it's hard to describe.

The second album (either Chicago II, or simply Chicago, its original title) is also very good, but all the multi-song suites with little Roman numerals seemed like they were trying just a little to hard to be proggy, and that was initially a turnoff.  Now I just listen and don't worry about it.  All the sections segue, so it's not an issue.

Chicago III is good, but IMO the weakest of the bunch.  It has some great stuff, and a few misfires as well.  Seven guys in the band, and clearly there was a policy that anyone could submit a song for inclusion on the album.  This had mixed results.

The Change

Chicago VII is probably their most adventurous album.  It was originally going to be a jazz album; the band wanted to make an album that explored their jazz roots more properly, but the suits wouldn't buy it, so they compromised.  It was another double LP, but there are no vocals until halfway through Side Two.  It's all instrumental up to that point.  This album was also the turning point for the band.  Peter Cetera had the high tenor voice which was becoming so popular in the late 70's and into the 80's, and the three hits from that album ("Call on Me", "Wishing You Were Here", and "Searching So Long") all featured Cetera on vocals.  Chicago VIII had "Old Days", again with Cetera on vocals, and by Chicago X (IX their first Greatest Hits album) and "If You Leave Me Now" it was all over.  Formerly one of three lead singers with approximately equal duties, Pete Cetera was now recognized as the voice of Chicago.

It didn't help that guitarist Terry Kath died after Chicago XI, taking the heart and soul of the band with him.  Through the 80's and into the 90's, Chicago was basically a pop machine.  Even when Cetera left to pursue his solo career, they replaced him with a bassist who sounded just like him, mostly because at that point, they needed someone to sing all the Cetera hits when they played them live.

So I'd say the turn started with VII, but VII is still an excellent album.  It's how things played out over the next couple of albums.  There are at least a few gems on everything up to XI, but after that... :(

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #917 on: April 27, 2011, 12:42:30 PM »
That Rhino 4 disk of Carnegie was so well done.  I would agree that's what to get.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #918 on: April 27, 2011, 12:49:26 PM »
Cool, thanks for the detailed breakdown Orbert!   That Carnegie Hall set does sound very intriguing to me.  
--Camille Saint-Saëns

--Frank Zappa

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #919 on: April 27, 2011, 01:07:01 PM »
I'll probably start with the studio albums, because I prefer going that route before I explore the live albums. Gives me a better appreciation for the live renditions at that point.

Looks like it was recorded after III, so I'll get the first 3 albums soon!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #920 on: April 27, 2011, 01:53:25 PM »
Yeah, Carnegie Hall is basically IV, as the next album was titled Chicago V.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #922 on: May 03, 2011, 05:22:59 PM »
Sounds interesting, especially since they're all instrumentals, and he's been focusing on movie scores for the past 20 years.  I liked some of his work with Yes, and liked some of his solo stuff even more.

Offline ThroughHerEyesDude6

• Studio Artist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Art keeps me alive
« Reply #923 on: May 03, 2011, 08:51:38 PM »
The only score I've heard by Rabin is National Treasure. What else has he done?

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #924 on: May 03, 2011, 09:07:33 PM »
The only score I've heard by Rabin is National Treasure. What else has he done?

https://tinyurl.com/5sc63u6

He's done some pretty awesome film scores! I guess I never really paid TOO much attention to the scores in the movies on that list that I have actually watched. Oops.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #925 on: May 03, 2011, 09:14:35 PM »

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #926 on: May 06, 2011, 07:08:10 PM »
Chicago?

I may have mentioned this before, but I love Chicago up until about 1980. I've been meaning to pick up that Carnegie set for ions, but it's not something you find in the used bins (even when the remasters came out)

This band really burns it live.  I've got the 4CD box Group Portrait, Chicago Transit Authority, Chicago, III and Live In Toronto and Overtime.

Not many bands play the way that they did. Amazing.

As far as Yes goes. 

I generally prefer live recordings over studio, but with Yes the opposite seems to be true. I haven't found too many live versions of songs that I prefer over what was recorded in the studio.

Offline jsem

« Reply #927 on: May 19, 2011, 09:35:16 AM »
Yes is coming to Stockholm in December.

Psyched now.  :smiley:

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #928 on: May 19, 2011, 01:35:35 PM »
I'm going to see them in July with Styx in St. Louis. :metal

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #929 on: May 22, 2011, 06:20:24 AM »

1. Fly From Here - Overture
2. Fly From Here - Pt I - We Can Fly
3. Fly From Here - Pt II - Sad Night At The Airfield
4. Fly From Here - Pt III - Madman At The Screens
5. Fly From Here - Pt IV - Bumpy Ride
6. Fly From Here - Pt V - We Can Fly Reprise
7. The Man You Always Wanted Me To Be
8. Life On A Film Set
9. Hour Of Need
10. Solitaire
11. Into The Storm

Going in with an open mind.  Gonna miss Jon.

• Studio Artist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Art keeps me alive
« Reply #930 on: May 22, 2011, 06:28:19 AM »
I just went from 6 to midnight

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #931 on: May 22, 2011, 06:34:36 AM »
I just went from 6 to midnight

I had to look that up on Urban Dictionary. I lol'd
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #932 on: May 22, 2011, 06:39:37 AM »
Me too. The cover art is wonderful, Yes is still the band with the best album covers. I hope the music is as breathtaking as the cover.  :)

EDIT: It has just struck me that Trevor Horn contributed in writing and he also produced the album. Why didn't they just let the guy sing as well? We would have Drama II, but maybe he didn't feel like being the Yes singer again...  :P
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 06:50:30 AM by Mladen »

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #933 on: May 22, 2011, 06:54:21 AM »
Trevor has said that he doesn't sing anymore.  Yes made a huge deal about Benoit being the new singer and how they would back him, so he's on lead vocals.  You're definitely not alone in seeing the Horn-Downes-Drama connection, though.

So far, everything I've heard about this album is encouraging.  Review copies were just released to magazines and critics, so early reviews should start showing up soon.  I'm gonna try to avoid them, but it'll be difficult.

But with Trevor Horn producing, it will sound great.  Bummer that Son of Wakeman is out, but I'm good with Geoff Downes on keyboards.  I'd heard that there was the title epic, that there would be a new Steve Howe acoustic solo, and that there would be a total of six tracks.  "Solitaire" is the new acoustic solo, and the epic has been broken into six tracks but otherwise there are the five other songs.  I even like the "newer style" Roger Dean cover.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #934 on: May 22, 2011, 07:16:19 AM »
Yeah Mladen, I posted that same kind of thought a page or two ago.  I really really like Drama, so I think a second album with the Drama lineup would have been really cool, and "more Yes" than a Yes with Benoit on vocals.  Honestly, I don't have high hopes for this album either way.  Few classic rock bands can come back with a strong album.  Meat Loaf couldn't do it, Ozzy hasn't done it for a long time, even The Who couldn't do it.  I really do hope its good.  I'll wait to see some reviews and hear what DTF thinks.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #935 on: May 22, 2011, 07:23:11 AM »
It's not like I'm hyper about the album. But I'll have to give it chance since it looks like it might be an attempt to create an oldschool prog rock album - hopefully they made it.  :smiley:

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #936 on: May 22, 2011, 07:35:40 AM »
I'd rather they not try and recreate that classic Yes sound.  The biggest problem I have with "retro-prog" bands is that they try to do just that and they fail from a songwriting and a production standpoint.  That kind of music, for the most part, just doesn't sound good with a 21st century production style (IMO of course).  I don't know what kind of album I'd want them to make, though.  Hopefully they really believe in what they're doing right now.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #937 on: May 22, 2011, 07:59:45 AM »
I'd be blown away if one of those retro bands managed to make a retro album. What can be better?  :smiley:

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #938 on: May 22, 2011, 08:11:54 AM »
Since I ended up getting tickets for the Styx/Yes concert this summer, I guess I'll have to check this out, so I'll be familiar with whatever songs they play from it.  But my excitement level for this is practically nil.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #939 on: May 22, 2011, 09:40:34 AM »
Me too. The cover art is wonderful, Yes is still the band with the best album covers. I hope the music is as breathtaking as the cover.  :)
I don't buy vinyl, but I'd honestly buy Yes on vinyl just so I could hang them on my wall. Roger Dean is always fantastic, IMO.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #940 on: May 22, 2011, 10:49:49 AM »

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #941 on: May 22, 2011, 11:05:38 AM »
When I took a certain chemical last month, I was playing Tales for the first time on vinyl. I must have stared at the album cover for an hour. You can literally get lost in the worlds he creates.  :tup

• Studio Artist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Art keeps me alive
« Reply #942 on: May 22, 2011, 03:37:18 PM »
When I took a certain chemical last month, I was playing Tales for the first time on vinyl. I must have stared at the album cover for an hour. You can literally get lost in the worlds he creates.  :tup

Roger Dean is the shit. That chemical only intensifies the experience.  :tup :hat

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #943 on: May 23, 2011, 03:39:13 PM »
It's amazing how Roger Dean's work absolutely captures the essence of this band.   It's like he was born to design covers for Yes. 
--Camille Saint-Saëns

--Frank Zappa

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #944 on: May 24, 2011, 11:09:47 AM »
More details on the new Yes album

Fly from Here
Side A:
1. Fly From Here - Overture (1:54)
2. Fly From Here Pt I - We Can Fly (6:01)
3. Fly From Here Pt II - Sad Night at the Airfield (6:42)
4. Fly From Here Pt III - Madman at the Screens (5:17)
5. Fly From Here Pt IV - Bumpy Ride (2:15)
6. Fly From Here Pt V - We Can Fly Reprise (1:48)

Side B:
7. The Man You Always Wanted Me to Be (5:13)
8. Life on a Film Set (5:12)
9. Hour of Need (3:08)
10. Solitaire (3:30) [Howe solo]
11. Into the Storm (6:54)

Also, larger version of the cover art (resized here, copy and paste for full size):