Author Topic: The Official Yes Thread  (Read 265311 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: The Official Yes Thread
« Reply #770 on: February 22, 2011, 08:05:52 PM »
Jon does talk like he sings.  My brother, cousin and I jokingly call it fluttering.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #771 on: February 22, 2011, 08:40:50 PM »
Or be like me who bought both Keys to only find out years later they combined the studio stuff.

True, but the live stuff is TOTALLY worth buying the two 2CD sets! I mean, "Onward", "America" and "Time And A Word" are totally worth it alone! Plus, you get "The Revealing Science Of God" and the entirety of Close To The Edge!!!

Also, the Keystudio version of "Children Of Light" has a Wakeman-made introduction that wasn't on the original KTA release, but replaces the opening verse (which is just repeated later on in the song anyway, so you don't really miss it)

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #772 on: February 23, 2011, 05:24:25 AM »
I have soooo many live cd's of Yes Marc it's out of control. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #773 on: February 23, 2011, 08:00:16 AM »
For some reason, I don't see the point in those live CDs. I love Yesshows and am sure I will love Yessongs, but after that, what does one really need? I've got the Yes Symphonic DVD as well, which is good enough. So why bother with anything else?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #774 on: February 23, 2011, 08:04:40 AM »
For some reason, I don't see the point in those live CDs. I love Yesshows and am sure I will love Yessongs, but after that, what does one really need? I've got the Yes Symphonic DVD as well, which is good enough. So why bother with anything else?

Well, after a while it becomes overload and you burn out from hearing the same songs live over and over.  But there is always one or two songs that you must have.  That being said.  i can't stop myself from buying Rush live Cd's and DVD's so...........( Kettle/black) :lol

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #775 on: February 23, 2011, 08:23:28 AM »

I kinda felt the same way when the first Keys came out.  But I listened to both discs, in order, which meant that the live material from '96 was first.  What it did was give me a feel for how that band sounded 20 years later (which was "present day" at the time).  It set the tone for the studio tracks.

Bands get bored playing the same songs the same way for years and years, so the live arrangements can accumulate little "variations" over the years.  I like hearing some of the things they come up with that are different.  Some bands sound pretty much the same every time you hear them, but Yes seem at ease with the fact that it's not going to sound like the studio recording, so they take the live version in a different direction.

Not always, and not always with good results IMO, but it's still interesting to me.  Also, that was the last time that particular lineup toured, so depending on how obsessed you are, it's an important document to have.

And finally, there are songs on those discs which aren't on Yessongs or Yesshows.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #776 on: February 23, 2011, 08:42:06 AM »
Indeed, and I would definitely get the two KTA sets. I was hoping they'd re-release KTA with the live tracks, in order, on two CDs by themselves without the studio material, and then re-release Keystudio, but they missed the boat on that one.

However, on KTA you get the other tracks from GFTO that you didn't hear on Yesshows, as well as the aforementioned entirety of CTTE, plus pretty much everything else. I know it gets slammed for having overdubs, but it IS live (for the most part) and there's just something special about most of the tracks, especially "Awaken".

I'd say invest in the KTA Box Set that was released not long ago:
https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Keys-Ascension-Yes/dp/B003Q6BSTW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1298475427&sr=8-1
However, the item description says the DVD is PAL/Region 2, so I hope you have a region-free player. Usually computers will play any region DVDs, regardless of PAL or NTSC.
But, for as cheap at $20.00 + shipping for a 4CD/1DVD set, you can't beat that! It'd almost be wrong to NOT buy it on principle of inexpensiveness alone!

Ironically enough, today is the day for the Keys material as I continue my Yes-Album-A-Day marathon! I've retitled/re-ordered the tracklist as Know, which was apparently Jon Anderson's working title for the material's album. "Mine Drive" is just spectacular! :tup

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #777 on: February 23, 2011, 10:41:00 AM »
"Mind Drive" is my favorite latter-day Yes epic.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #778 on: February 25, 2011, 10:26:16 PM »

Well, after a while it becomes overload and you burn out from hearing the same songs live over and over.  But there is always one or two songs that you must have.  That being said.  i can't stop myself from buying Rush live Cd's and DVD's so...........( Kettle/black) :lol

I know the feeling.

Which Yes live CDs do you have?

I'm still trying to appreciate Yes as a live band as much as I do in the studio.   I do enjoy Yessongs, Yesshows, The live stuff on  both Keys, Live at The House of Blues, An Evening of Yes Music Plus, The Word Is Live, but nothing really stands out as a MUST have Live Yes recording for me. I'm sure there's a bootleg out there (I don't have any Yes) that will knock my socks off, but I haven't run across one yet.

I listened to "Turn Of The Century" again (The whole album really, I can never listen to just one song) and I can see why people like it. I guess I'll listen to the version on Keys to see if anything changes (I don't recall it standing out). Maybe it's the production on Going for The One....I still don't really know. I mean Wakeman is pretty amazing on this record...I just sense conflict. The earlier records just seemed to have kind of a more free/less stressful vibe to them...

Finally listened to 90124 this week and i'm even more impressed with Rabin. Very passionate guitar playing. This record does nothing to dispell the notion that the suits pretty much ruin anything they get their hands on musically. The only other Rabin album I have (welll other than a few soundtracks) is Can't Look Away and I like 90124 better. I may have to investigate his late '70s-early '80s work a little more.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #779 on: February 25, 2011, 10:37:54 PM »
Agreed. Yes was an amazing live band, but I almost always prefer the studio counterparts.... they're just so... perfect.

"The Meeting" from the Tsongas DVD is brilliant though... that was one of the first live performances I saw from Yes (my friend showed me it the day I met him a couple years ago)

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #780 on: February 27, 2011, 05:24:02 PM »
Whoever said the vinyl of "Tormato" sounded horrible wasn't lying... I listened to it this weekend and it is one of the worst sounding vinyls I have heard. Luckily, they seemed to fix up the remastered CD.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #781 on: March 14, 2011, 04:31:11 AM »
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/upcoming_releases/yes_finish_recording_new_album.html

Yes fans have been waiting a decade for new music. This summer, enthusiasts of the progressive rock band most famous for the singles "Roundabout" and "Owner Of A Lonely Heart" should finally have fresh product.

"At the moment, we just finished recording our first studio album since 2001," Chris Squire said during a phone interview. "It will probably be ready by July of this year."

The bassist, songwriter, cofounder and only group member to appear on every Yes album said the new one would be called "Fly From Here."

"It's the title of the main song," he said.

Squire also confirmed longtime Yes collaborator Trevor Horn produced the album. At Horn's insistence, "Fly From Here" will feature his former Buggles and Yes band-mate Geoffrey Downes on keyboards, as opposed to Rick Wakeman, Squire said. Squire also confirmed longtime Yes collaborator Trevor Horn produced the album.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #782 on: March 14, 2011, 05:46:58 AM »
So I guess Oliver is out too then.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #783 on: March 14, 2011, 06:38:44 AM »
I have been (partially) following discussion about this on ProgressiveEars. It's very interesting the opinions of Yes Fans who have been underwhelmed by the performances of Benoit and Oliver.

I'm still wondering if Trevor's and Geoffrey's involvement are only on the Drama-era song "We Can Fly From Here", for which the album's title is derived, or if they're on the whole album.

Either way, it should be exciting to hear the first new Yes album in a decade!

-Marc.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #784 on: March 14, 2011, 07:46:55 AM »
Interesting news, it's pretty much Drama lineup with Trevor not being on vocals. Of course, Drama was a long time ago, but something tells me the album will offer some good songs. Looking forward to it.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #785 on: March 14, 2011, 08:25:32 AM »
That's gotta be a typo, either in the original article or maybe Zydar's transcription.  Oliver Wakeman, son of Rick, is the current keyboard player and has been touring with them as well.  David Benoit is the current lead vocalist.  Jon and Rick released an album earlier this year and Rick has definitely not played with Yes, including recording, in quite some time.

"We Can Fly From Here" was a Buggles song that got worked into a Yes song when The Buggles (Trevor Horn & Geoff Downes replacing Jon & Rick) joined Yes for Drama.  It didn't make the album, possibly because there were already two other reworked Buggles songs on that album.  The others were "Tempus Fugit" and "Into the Lens".

Trevor Horn didn't stick around for lead vocals on the next album, 90125, but he did produce it.  He is also producing the new album, and they've ressurrected "We Can Fly From Here" and according to Chris Squire, it's the "main song" on the album.  Geoff Downes was brought back to play keyboards on that song, as he is a former Yesman and did help write it, after all.

It was separately reported that the new album would feature at least one epic-length song.  So the logical conclusion is that "We Can Fly From Here" is the epic and "main song" but that would be a bit weird because Oliver Wakeman is the keyboard player and he doesn't play on the "main song" on the album?

Interesting news indeed, but we're getting contradictory and apparently incorrect information right now.  As with the new Dream Theater album, I don't think we'll know anything for sure until the album is actually released.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #786 on: March 14, 2011, 08:34:46 AM »
That's gotta be a typo, either in the original article or maybe Zydar's transcription.

It must be the article, since I only copy + pasted directly from it.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #787 on: March 14, 2011, 10:16:51 AM »
If Oliver is not gonna be on the new album that makes me a little more excited tbh.  :lol

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #788 on: March 14, 2011, 10:38:50 AM »
That's gotta be a typo, either in the original article or maybe Zydar's transcription.

It must be the article, since I only copy + pasted directly from it.

You're right.  Ultimate Guitar f*cked up when they copypasted from Bradenton.com, which said

At Horn’s insistence, “Fly from Here” will feature his former Buggles and Yes band-mate Geoffrey Downes on keyboards, as opposed to Wakeman, Squire said.

This is immediately after naming the current members of the band, including Oliver Wakeman.  Ultimate Guitar added Wakeman's first name, but failed and got it wrong.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #789 on: March 15, 2011, 01:36:05 AM »
or Alan White? he played keys on Magnification anyway.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #790 on: March 15, 2011, 07:16:12 AM »
Alan White is known among Yesmen for being a very nice, polite guy, a true gentleman, but he's also known for exaggerating what he does within Yes.  I've always found that to be a strange, seeming contradiction.  He does play the piano, and contributed some piano work to Magnification, but let's be serious, he's the drummer.  His contribution to "playing keyboards on Magnification" consists of a few licks on piano in a few songs.

Alan White once said in an interview that he played on Close to the Edge.  Everyone knows that he hadn't joined the band yet at that time, and that Bill Bruford played drums on that album.  Alan clarified by stating that (producer) Eddie Offord was a friend of his, and one day when Bruford couldn't make it into the studio, Eddie had called Alan to sit in and play drums so the rest of the band could practice.  He's not actually on the record.

Alan has also said that he wrote the break in "Awaken".  So has Rick Wakeman, Jon Anderson, and even Patrick Moraz.  I'm sure he meant that he wrote his part.  Alan plays the triangle for five minutes during that section.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #791 on: March 15, 2011, 12:28:33 PM »
Yes, the band where everyone wrote everything.  :lol ;)

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #792 on: March 15, 2011, 02:45:50 PM »
Yes, the band where everyone wrote everything.  :lol ;)

Yes.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline ScioPath

• the king of dance
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #793 on: March 15, 2011, 02:53:42 PM »
Just bought The Yes Album, finally.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #794 on: March 15, 2011, 03:03:14 PM »
You must report back to us when you have concluded your analysis.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #795 on: March 15, 2011, 03:23:43 PM »
Speaking of The Yes Album, does anyone else listen to it with the studio version of "Clap" in place of the live version on the original album? I've had it that way on my iPod Playlists for the LONGEST time and I don't think I recall the last time I listened to the album with the original live version of "Clap".

-Marc.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #796 on: March 15, 2011, 04:48:26 PM »
Just bought The Yes Album, finally.
Good.  Step into a world much more beautiful than the one you left behind.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #797 on: March 15, 2011, 05:37:34 PM »
Speaking of The Yes Album, does anyone else listen to it with the studio version of "Clap" in place of the live version on the original album? I've had it that way on my iPod Playlists for the LONGEST time and I don't think I recall the last time I listened to the album with the original live version of "Clap".

-Marc.

On the contrary, I think I've only listened to the studio version a few times.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #798 on: March 15, 2011, 05:59:59 PM »

I didn't know there was a studio version.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #799 on: March 15, 2011, 07:18:12 PM »

It's on the Rhino Remaster of the album as one of the bonus tracks. IIRC, it's a bit longer than the live version as well.

-Marc.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #800 on: March 19, 2011, 07:34:57 PM »

It's on the Rhino Remaster of the album as one of the bonus tracks. IIRC, it's a bit longer than the live version as well.

-Marc.

I forgot about that one.  I tend to not listen to the Rhino remasters much because I'm not a fan of the edits. I'd rather have unreleased songs or demos on there rather than edits.

That said, I realize The Clap is not an edit, but most of those songs on the earlier albums tend to be edits.  I kind of don't like that Rhino just dumped those tracks at the end of the disc as I think they ruin the flow of the album...

....Which reminds me that I still need to pick up the In A Word Box at some point.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #801 on: March 19, 2011, 08:03:37 PM »
My friend gave me a Flash Drive with all of Yes's albums up to 90125 plus Talk.

He just saved me a bunch of money there.  :biggrin:

Offline ThroughHerEyesDude6

• Studio Artist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Art keeps me alive
« Reply #802 on: March 19, 2011, 08:22:37 PM »
As a noob in the Yes world of prog, I have a question for everyone on this thread.

Recently I picked up Close to the Edge on vinyl. When I brought it home, I listened to the title track once. I don't know if it was me, the record player, the production, or a number of these things, but the song didn't do anything for me. I already have Fragile on vinyl and the first time I heard that I was hooked. Am I missing something? Am I not listening right? Does it take a few listens?

What's wrong with this picture?

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #803 on: March 19, 2011, 10:29:30 PM »
It can take several listens before you grasp the glory of Close to the Edge.  Some get it right away, some take longer to come round to it, but once you get it, you get it and it gets you.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #804 on: March 19, 2011, 10:30:24 PM »
The studio version of "The Clap" has a bunch of riffs and stuff that ended up on "Mood for a Day" if I'm not mistaken.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."