Author Topic: The Official Yes Thread  (Read 265146 times)

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Official Yes Thread
« Reply #665 on: February 01, 2011, 06:39:55 PM »
Well DTF, you've done it again. For the umpteenth time you've convinced me to check out a band that I previously never would have tried. I just bought Close to the Edge on iTunes. Listening now. Digging it.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #666 on: February 01, 2011, 06:58:31 PM »
Really?  You've been on this board how long and you never thought to check out Yes?

Good to hear you're not failing and you're liking CTTE.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #667 on: February 01, 2011, 07:00:22 PM »
Close to the Edge was pretty cool. And You And I was...alright. I mean I liked it, but I can tell it'll need to grow on me a bit. Siberian Khatru was awesome though. :metal
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #668 on: February 01, 2011, 07:19:44 PM »
I haven't listened to Yes in a long time. I should give CTTE a spin sometime tomorrow.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #669 on: February 01, 2011, 07:26:53 PM »
I totally hear what your saying about Yes being a "brand" Orbert. I'd made the same argument about Iced Earth awhile ago. Unfortunately the Iced Earth fans didn't really take kindly to it.

Then Schaffer kicked Owen out  :D

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #670 on: February 01, 2011, 07:28:14 PM »
I totally hear what your saying about Yes being a "brand" Orbert. I'd made the same argument about Iced Earth awhile ago. Unfortunately the Iced Earth fans didn't really take kindly to it.

Then Schaffer kicked Owen out  :D

I don't take kindly to that. But that's for another thread.
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #671 on: February 01, 2011, 07:30:32 PM »
Huh?

I didn't make the statement here, I don't think.

Or did?

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #672 on: February 01, 2011, 07:31:59 PM »
What? I was just saying I disagree with that that opinion. But that's for the Iced Earth thread.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #673 on: February 01, 2011, 07:53:41 PM »
I was listening to Yessongs the other night. What an amazingly mind-blowing live album, and probably one of my highest-ranked live albums of all time! You get all the epics from their 3rd, 4th and 5th albums, extended solo spots, extended jams, more solos, and amazing performances from 6 members of Yes!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #674 on: February 01, 2011, 10:15:55 PM »
I was listening to Yessongs the other night. What an amazingly mind-blowing live album, and probably one of my highest-ranked live albums of all time! You get all the epics from their 3rd, 4th and 5th albums, extended solo spots, extended jams, more solos, and amazing performances from 6 members of Yes!

-Marc.

It is dauntingly long, though. I must admit, sometimes I have trouble finishing it.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #675 on: February 01, 2011, 10:33:36 PM »

-Marc.

It is dauntingly long, though. I must admit, sometimes I have trouble finishing it.

It is pretty damn long, especially compared to other live albums of it's time. There's very few live albums of that length today! Of course, Dream Theater's live albums (LSFNY, LAB, Score and CIM) are a little longer or so, and last year's live release from Transatlantic reaches towards 3 hours, so I've grown quite used to listening to long live albums (or long albums in general).

Between Yessongs and Yesshows, you have two of the greatest live albums from one of the greatest classic prog bands, and between those two there are no overlaps! Amazing how that happened, and they're both great reminders of what Yes once was. Sadly, nearly ever live album since has had their concert staples played over and over (but thankfully, Symphonic Live has the orchestra, so that adds a LITTLE something to it).

The only live Yes albums I listen to that aren't from the 70's are my remix of Keys To Ascension (cross-faded the songs from both KTA releases and put the songs in concert order), Songs From Tsongas (ripped audio from the DVD onto 3 CDs; REALLY enjoy the energetic performance of "Ritual" here), and Symphonic Live (amazing performance of "Gates Of Delirium").

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #676 on: February 01, 2011, 10:41:31 PM »
Something really cool about Yessongs is that it was originally three LPs, and at the end of Side Three ("Roundabout") you can hear Jon saying goodnight to the audience.  After "Starship Trooper" at the very end you can also hear him saying goodnight.

The point is that with the album now on 2 CDs, each CD is its own "concert" with a finale at the end of each.  So if you don't have time for the whole thing, you can listen to one disc now and one later.  The important thing is that you listen to Yessongs as often as possible.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #677 on: February 02, 2011, 02:42:31 AM »
Yessongs is amazing.

Don't have Yesshows but the tracklist seems great enough.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #678 on: February 02, 2011, 07:56:10 AM »
Yesshows is very much like a younger sibling to Yessongs. Different personality, yet similar.

Chris Squire put Yesshows together while Yes was on hiatus, and it has been criticised for being "bass heavy" but I never even thought about it. The sound quality is so much better than on Yessongs (which really has muddy sound you have to admit) that I just loved the fact that you can hear everything so clearly. He also got reamed for the smash cut from "Time and a Word" into "Going for the One" which I think is brilliant.

Anyway, I think it's a great album. It's more a collection of live performances than an attempt to recreate a concert event, but with full versions of both "The Gates of Delerium" and "Ritual" I can't see how anyone can complain.

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #679 on: February 02, 2011, 08:45:05 AM »
Might I suggest to new Yes fans to check out CIRCA-CIRCA. It's like YES light, and is made up of a couple ex-yes musicians.
Came out in 2007.
Very nice...and gives you a gentle nudging into the lunacy that is Yes.
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #680 on: February 02, 2011, 09:58:27 AM »
Circa's self-titled debut is pretty good, and the new one HQ is also very good, possibly better.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #681 on: February 02, 2011, 12:39:56 PM »
I still haven't got the cd Circa members did with the singer from Toto, Bobby Kimble.  Sounds like an interesting mix.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #682 on: February 02, 2011, 09:43:14 PM »
This is really strange, but 9 times out of 10 I'll always choose a live version of a song rather than the studio counterpart.

But in the case of Yes, most of the time I'd prefer to hear the studio cut. I don't know if it's the production of the recordings I don't like or what it is. That doesn't mean I don't listen to Yesssongs and Yesshows -- I do.  I haven't been able to figure out why.

I think I do prefer Yesshows over Yessongs because of the production. I probably like the The Word Is Live more too.

Although I have to say I like Anderson, Bruford, Wakeman and Howe live more than the album.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #683 on: February 02, 2011, 10:33:41 PM »
I like An Evening of Yes Music Plus except for Bruford's electronic snare.  That thing really bugs the shit out of me and he bangs on it incessantly on that album.  Also Tony Levin got really sick and couldn't play that show, the one night they had all the recording equipment set up and everything.  Jeff Berlin jumped in at the last minute, and did a great job for having like two days to learn everything, but damn, with Levin it would have been so much tighter.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #684 on: February 03, 2011, 03:15:29 AM »
Well, I was hoping Drama would kick my ass.

It didn't, but it was still really good. However, there's a huge drop in quality after the epic Machine Messiah opener and the following White Car.

Glad I got the expanded edition of the album though. Have those original session recordings to look forward to now :)

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #685 on: February 03, 2011, 05:25:13 AM »
Circa's self-titled debut is pretty good, and the new one HQ is also very good, possibly better.

wow I didn't know there was a new one.....KOOL!
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #686 on: February 03, 2011, 08:20:21 AM »

It didn't, but it was still really good. However, there's a huge drop in quality after the epic Machine Messiah opener and the following White Car.

White Car is awesome.  Don't write it off because it's a short song, a mere vignette.  It's a full orchestra played entirely on 80's analog synths.  Give it, and the rest of Drama, some time to grow on you.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #687 on: February 03, 2011, 08:32:16 AM »
Drama is a cool album, I liked it immediately and I like it more as time goes by. Machine messiah, Into the lens, Tempus fugit, Does it really happen... What a great record.  :smiley:

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #688 on: February 03, 2011, 09:18:04 AM »

White Car is awesome.  Don't write it off because it's a short song, a mere vignette.  It's a full orchestra played entirely on 80's analog synths.  Give it, and the rest of Drama, some time to grow on you.

No, I mean after White Car the quality really drops in my opinion. Though I enjoyed it all more on the second listen.

Also, those tracks from the early sessions with Anderson and Wakeman were terrible. Even in their early stages, you can hear that that line-up was pretty much at its end from a creative standpoint.

After listening to Drama twice, I actually wish the band would have put out another album or two with this line-up. There was a lot of potential for growth there which we'll never really know.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #689 on: February 03, 2011, 11:33:57 AM »
I'm not a huge fan of Drama. Some really interesting moments, but overall the album doesn't do too much for me.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #690 on: February 03, 2011, 11:51:39 AM »
I used to like Drama a lot more than Tormato, but having heard the latter with fresh ears a few weeks ago, I found most of the material pretty good. It's a BIT of a step back from the amazing Going For The One, as there was a lot of un-tapped potential in the songs, but it's not horrible.

Either way, I'd still take Drama and Tormato over Big Generator and Open Your Eyes, my two LEAST listened-to Yes albums.

I think Drama starts of strong and ends strong, but the deceptively heavy sound of "Machine Messiah" isn't really indicative of the album's over-all sound, but the bass-heavy mix really appeals to me, and Squire really shines on the whole album. Actually Squire and White both really shine! I agree Perpetual Change that had this version of Yes made another album, it could've been amazing! The melding of those minds could've created some fresh new music. IIRC, much of Drama material was developed from demos by each "half" of the band before they joined, although the whole band polished the songs up together, it would've been interesting to see what they could have done with a clean slate and no prior demos.

-Marc.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #691 on: February 03, 2011, 11:58:03 AM »
At that time I think Yes knew something had to change. For Howe, White and Squire, that change was to get 'heavier' like the emerging metal bands which would soon take the world. For Anderson and Wakeman, it was going back to the classic 70s roots. For the label, it was embracing new wave.

The result of Drama-- both the band and the label getting their way a little bit-- might not have worked commercially but it made for some damn interesting music. Vocals aside, Drama is almost metal. Given a couple years developing in that sound and I really think Yes may have been close to Images and Words territory.

Oddly, out of all the influence Yes has had on DT, Drama strikes me as the biggest influence. I hear more of Drama's influence in DT's music than any other Yes album.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #692 on: February 03, 2011, 12:02:20 PM »
Oddly, out of all the influence Yes has had on DT, Drama strikes me as the biggest influence. I hear more of Drama's influence in DT's music than any other Yes album.

Indeed, although I'd like to think both Close To The Edge and Relayer had SOME influence on DT, both in sound and long-form songs, and although DT's approach to epics was more Rush-like than Yes-like, I'm sure some of Yes's mid-70's work had some influence on JP, JM and MP. Also, JR is known to be a Wakeman fan, so I'm sure at least Fragile, Close To The Edge and/or Going For The One have some influence on him.

-Marc.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #693 on: February 03, 2011, 04:13:17 PM »
I always thought a bit of the punk/new wave sound creeped into Drama, growing up in that time.  It was a modern sound for them.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #694 on: February 03, 2011, 04:42:48 PM »
Absolutely.  It was The Buggles after all, a vastly underrated new wave band.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #695 on: February 06, 2011, 01:08:11 AM »
Going through some of my least-listened to Yes albums today. 90125, Magnification, and Union  :P

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #696 on: February 06, 2011, 01:16:02 AM »
All three of those albums are excellent. Union is probably the weakest but still good. 90125 clicked with me in the past 6 months or so, never liked it much before that

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #697 on: February 06, 2011, 03:07:30 AM »
Yeah, I don't have anything against either of the three. In fact, love 90125, just rarely listen to it but have been since I'm gearing up for finally giving Big Generator a listen. Union, on the other hand, I just can't take seriously as a record. It's two records by two bands plus some side projects smashed together in a 'union' that is barely justified, especially since the material is so varied and nothing was really done to make the album seem like a single effort. It'd honestly be like Liquid Tension Experiment and OSI releasing an album together under the Dream Theater name. I like a bunch of songs, and I don't like a bunch of songs. But, overall, it's just not a real record to me.

Magnification has never clicked. Hoping I'll change that now.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #698 on: February 06, 2011, 06:42:59 AM »
Drama is a great album.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #699 on: February 06, 2011, 06:54:26 AM »
Magnification is MUCH better than I remembered. Love "Don't Go" and "In the Presence Of" despite all Anderson's creepy lyrics about "touching you there," "pleasure time" and "pleasuring yourself."