Author Topic: The Official Yes Thread  (Read 265118 times)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Re: The Official Yes Thread
« Reply #455 on: July 08, 2010, 01:25:56 PM »
Listening to The Ladder won't change your mind.  There are some good songs on it, but not enough to place it above Magnification.

Unfortunately, I wouldn't consider Magnification evidence that Yes is still capable of making great music.  It's nine years old and the lineup has no keyboard player (insert joke about how Wakeman left again and they needed an entire orchestra to replace him), although there are a few keyboard dubs.

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #456 on: July 08, 2010, 04:37:23 PM »
Listening to The Ladder won't change your mind.  There are some good songs on it, but not enough to place it above Magnification.

Unfortunately, I wouldn't consider Magnification evidence that Yes is still capable of making great music.  It's nine years old and the lineup has no keyboard player (insert joke about how Wakeman left again and they needed an entire orchestra to replace him), although there are a few keyboard dubs.
The orchestra still sounded fine, and I wouldn't mind them doing that again on another album, should they choose to do another one (Which I hope they do).
Every time someone brings up "Never Enough", the terrorists win.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #457 on: July 08, 2010, 09:44:24 PM »
Union gets way too much hate. It's not a bad album!

And, of course, Going for the One is the best them.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #458 on: July 08, 2010, 10:42:37 PM »

:tup

:tdwn
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #459 on: July 08, 2010, 11:13:39 PM »

Union is hard for some Yesfans to stomach because it's a Frankenstein monster.  Tracks were recorded, more tracks were recorded, overdubs were done, messes were made, men in suits were allowed to toy with the music end of things, dozens of musicians entered and left the studio, and somehow parts that were played by actual members of Yes were cut in favor of those played by hired guns.  That has never happened anywhere else in the history of Yes.  It is musical blasphemy, pure and simple.

Other than that, it's not a bad album.

I agree about Going for the One.  Close to the Edge gets more play from me, but that's only because I intentionally save Going for the One for special occassions.  The brilliance of "Awaken" is just too amazing to spoil by playing too often.

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #460 on: July 08, 2010, 11:14:39 PM »

:tup

:tdwn

Its the best Yes album that doesn't go crazy on making a ton of epics. I'm not against that, or obviously I wouldn't listen to Yes lol but Going For the One is just so consistent and I love the production on it. Someone else said earlier that it felt airy, I disagree, the production felt a lot heavier to me and that's partially why I love it so much.

Now, as for the albums that are about the epics, its Close to the Edge, no contest. Relayer/Topographic Oceans are great, but they just aren't Close to the Edge, very few albums reach that level of perfection.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #461 on: July 09, 2010, 06:44:15 AM »
Any answer for best Yes album other than Tales is the wrong answer.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #462 on: July 09, 2010, 01:58:16 PM »
The Remembering is a boring song but other than that Tales is great. Its about 4th or 5th in my Yes album rankings though.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #463 on: July 09, 2010, 02:21:01 PM »

I will disagree with you. Good yes, the best. no.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Dittomist

« Reply #464 on: July 09, 2010, 11:39:52 PM »
Tales is also my favorite Yes album--it's also one of the best albums ever to listen to when high  :tup
I also love love love Going for the One (it's easily my most played Yes CD and it seems to get better every time) and Relayer.

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #465 on: July 10, 2010, 12:54:03 PM »
Tales is also my favorite Yes album--it's also one of the best albums ever to listen to when high  :tup
I also love love love Going for the One (it's easily my most played Yes CD and it seems to get better every time) and Relayer.
I wouldn't know what Yes sounds like while high.... but whatever floats  your boat.

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #466 on: July 12, 2010, 06:59:21 PM »
Bumping thread because I found this!

https://newsok.com/article/3472712#di...#ixzz0sjPwC9ZP

So they are going to make another album, obviously without Jon. We'll see how that goes. Despite the lack of Jon, Drama is a great album and a lot better than what most other bands would put out.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #467 on: July 12, 2010, 07:47:11 PM »
Drama was also 30 years ago.  You have to wonder how much creativity these guys have left anyway, and without their main creative force, I have a bad feeling about this.

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #468 on: July 12, 2010, 07:54:31 PM »
Drama was also 30 years ago.  You have to wonder how much creativity these guys have left anyway, and without their main creative force, I have a bad feeling about this.
I dunno, I feel optimistic about this. Doesn't Steve Howe also get involved in a good bit of the songwriting normally? Granted, he's a lot older, but I'm confident Yes can at least put out a decent record.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #469 on: July 12, 2010, 10:08:56 PM »
A decent record?  Well, to each his own, but as a longtime fan, them releasing a decent record with a different singer excites me about as much as picking out socks.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #470 on: July 12, 2010, 10:47:46 PM »
"In fact, we're planning to go into the studio Oct. 4 this year to do a new album of material," he said. "But of course that's going to be with Oliver Wakeman and Benoit."

I didn't expect this to happen, really.  I'll be cautiously optimistic.  Howe, Squire and White have been together a long time and still have some game.  If the newbies can bring something fresh to the table, it could spark something.  At the very least, it will be worth checking out.  I would check out a solo album from any of these guys, so checking out a new Yes album is a no-brainer.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #471 on: July 13, 2010, 05:06:51 AM »
We'll see how it works out...

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #472 on: July 13, 2010, 05:23:07 AM »
A decent record?  Well, to each his own, but as a longtime fan, them releasing a decent record with a different singer excites me about as much as picking out socks.
Better than never getting a new album from them. But I've only listened to Yes for the past year or so.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #473 on: July 13, 2010, 05:29:17 AM »
Going for the One is the best because, musically, it's a lot more accessible than Relayer or Tales or even Close to the Edge without losing much of the depth those albums had, and it's more ambitious than Fragile or The Yes Album. Lyrically, Anderon's still sounding poetic, but not as dependent on experiences with hallucinogenic drugs. Anderson's lyrics have always been a little too "out there" for me, and later in the Yes discography they'd become painfully cliche. But Going for the One was his happy medium. It's only too bad that he couldn't maintain that level of lyricism afterwards.

To be honest, Relayer and Tales don't do that much for me, and, honestly, I'm not even that big on Fragile. Tales is just too long, with the good parts too far and few between. Relayer pulls everything back in, but while there's great parts like Soon, once again the long songs just seem to go on for too long. And Fragile just fails to sound like a cohesive "full band" effort. It really sounds like a very, very good demo stretched into a full album. If I had to pick my "holy trilogy" of Yes albums, it'd doubtless be (chronologically speaking) The Yes Album, Close to the Edge, and Going for the One.  

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #474 on: July 14, 2010, 10:05:03 PM »
Meh. I doubt I'll even buy the new album. Wasn't impressed with Benoit or Oliver at all.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #475 on: July 16, 2010, 11:45:28 PM »
Not sure if I would be interested, but it can't be worse than having Billy Sherwood involved, could it?

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #476 on: July 18, 2010, 11:56:44 PM »
Close to the Togographic Ocean Relayed through Time and a Fragile Tormato Going for the Yes Album Union Talking to the Big Generator of Magnificated Drama of the Ladder and Yes, an Owner of a Lonely Heart
space cadet, pull out.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #477 on: July 30, 2010, 10:16:43 PM »
I just finished listening to Fragile (+"America) and wow... great album. It's been awhile since I've revisited it and it's just fantastic. I also listened to the first three Yes albums earlier today and while they aren't as proggy as the following three (Fragile, Close To The Edge and Tales From Topographic Oceans), they are great in their own right. Those young lads sure knew how to write catchy songs (particularly on their 2nd album) while also putting their own spin on some classics like "Every Little Thing" and "Something's Coming".

I think their first two albums are pretty underrated, and the original line-up has a unique sound that isn't quite captured on The Yes Album or even Fragile. What I enjoy most about the first two albums is probably Bruford and Squire, but also Kaye's keyboard work is done quite well.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #478 on: July 30, 2010, 10:43:28 PM »
The jump from Time and a Word and The Yes Album has always been so big to me. Steve Howe just added so much to the dynamics of the band.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #479 on: July 30, 2010, 10:57:36 PM »
Time and a Word especially is under rated.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #480 on: July 30, 2010, 11:03:17 PM »
There are major gems on those first two records.  I am personally very fond of "Astral Traveller."  And obviously "Time and a Word" is killer.

Offline jasc15

• TTAL: Yeti welcome
« Reply #481 on: August 02, 2010, 09:08:07 AM »
After getting acquainted with Close to the Edge and Fragile (and listening to "And You And I" about 10x more than any song on either album) I am now waiting for Tales From Topographic Oceans to arrive.  As you can see, I'm not venturing far from my Yes starting point here.

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #482 on: August 02, 2010, 09:10:22 AM »
You and I is the weakest song on CttE.

ib4rage

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #483 on: August 02, 2010, 09:11:29 AM »
In with rage

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #484 on: August 02, 2010, 09:13:08 AM »
I'm cool with that, since I like CTTE and Siberian Khatru more.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #485 on: August 02, 2010, 11:26:17 AM »
Tales is good, although I disagree with everyone else on it. Personally, I think its easier to get into if you do the album song by song, instead of listening through the whole thing. Its about 90 minutes long, so its easy to get kind of "lost" in it. I would say listen to it through once when you get it, and then listen to each song solo. The Revealing Science of God is probably my favorite Yes song ever.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #486 on: August 02, 2010, 11:28:26 AM »
Z is correct, except on Revealing. Ritual is the best them. To get into Tales, take each separate. Then when you know each song enough, try out the entire thing and have your life changed.
space cadet, pull out.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #487 on: August 02, 2010, 11:30:10 AM »
I'm still not a huge fan of Tales. I haven't spent much time listening to it though, just because it's such a monster album to tackle.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #488 on: August 02, 2010, 11:40:36 AM »
Z is correct, except on Revealing. Ritual is the best them. To get into Tales, take each separate. Then when you know each song enough, try out the entire thing and have your life changed.

Ritual is great too, but the opening chant to the album is probably the greatest thing I have ever heard in music.

Ever.

EVER

And Jon Anderson did the chant at his solo show.  :heart

Offline Mladen

« Reply #489 on: August 02, 2010, 12:08:15 PM »
The Revealing Science of God is probably my favorite Yes song ever.
Same here. The Ancient is a huge favorite of mine as well, I'd say it's Howe's brightest moment in his entire career. However, I've always found the other two songs average, which is a real shame. Ritual has a cool opening, but outside of the first couple of minutes, it's rather tedious...